Is this the best laptop deal for me?

BFox549

CAGiversary!
Hey guys, I just sold my old, out-dated laptop and I'm looking to upgrade very soon. I am a graphic designer, so here are the specs I'm looking for:

- Intel i7 Processor
- 6GB + RAM
- 500GB + HDD
- 15" or Bigger Screen
- 4hr or Longer Batt Life

- PRICE RANGE: $700-850

Here is the best laptop I could find at the cheapest website.
Toshiba Satellite P755-S5395:
Walmart.com: Toshiba Platinum 15.6" Satellite P755-S5395 Laptop PC with Intel Core i7-267QM Processor, Blu-ray Disc Drive and Windows 7 Home Premium: Computers

Selling for $808 there, goes for $850 on Amazon.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Configuring your link for what the OP wants results in a laptop way too much out of the price range the OP stated.

Check out this laptop at Dell.com- http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xps-15?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=corp&~lt=popup

Link to sample config: http://configure.us.dell.com/dellst...dn1s&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&model_id=xps-l502x

Benefits to this laptop over the one you posted- longer battery life (9-cell LI (2.8Ah); Up to 9 hours, 9 minutes of battery life with 9-cell battery), non-integrated graphics card which will help when designing and editing stuff more than an integrated card which typically have on-board vRam and just use your remaining ram, 8 GB of ram, some additional options for output/input, and comes with 2 years of antivirus if you like McAfee.

Downsides: Slightly more expensive ($900), 2nd generation i5 versus i7 (performance with hyperthreading will recreate 4 cores in this one, however, it won't be quite as impressive as a decent i7. That being said the i7 in the laptop you picked is the lowest possible and may not be the best choice. Link of similar discussion of benefits: http://forum.notebookreview.com/ali...0m-vs-i7-2670qm-advantages-disadvantages.html) Personally, I think both of these laptops are good; it all really comes down to exactly what you need them for.

Yeah, what he said :). I'd just like to re-iterate, you should go with discrete graphics. Integrated graphics are very poor and is not worth the upgrade to the i7 from the i5. I have a laptop from 7 years ago that I bought from Dell with a nice graphics card for about $1,400. Then I recently cheaped out and bought a $450 laptop with integrated graphics to replace it. The old laptop wipes the floor in performance from the new despite the old laptop just having a dual 1.4 gig celeron processors and new one having a 2.2 gig core 2 duo.

This info really helps, thanks guys!

As it comes to the dell laptop, I've heard very bad stories and "news" with Dell making bad products, and being overpriced. I'm a big fan of Toshiba and Sony, and I've heard great things about Asus and Lenovo. Any input on Lenovo products?

Lenovo is selling a laptop with an i7 processor and 8gb ram for 700 shipped right now.

[quote name='BFox549']This info really helps, thanks guys!

As it comes to the dell laptop, I've heard very bad stories and "news" with Dell making bad products, and being overpriced. I'm a big fan of Toshiba and Sony, and I've heard great things about Asus and Lenovo. Any input on Lenovo products?

Lenovo is selling a laptop with an i7 processor and 8gb ram for 700 shipped right now.[/QUOTE]
If you want a laptop that will last you, get a Thinkpad T series.

bread's done
Back