Is this week a good time to buy a 360?

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!
Wondering if I should pick up a fourth 360, if my Toy's R Us has an Elite in stock.

$430 is a pretty good price, but:

-there's a chance we'll get a redesigned unit this year. Maybe even one that's QUIET.
-there's a chance of a price drop this year. Heck, if they just add HDMI to the $400 model that's an effective price drop right there-cheaper than this deal (I don't care about the hard drive's size).

What do you guys think? I guess I'm talking myself out of it.

The problem with technology is that there's always going to be something better down the road. If you'd like to get a 360, I'd say just go for it. If a price drop some in August as I saw rumored at some random place then you can always just price match it.

I'm not up on the deals, how's the Elite $430 now?

I'm in the same boat as you. I think its best to play on the waiting game. From what I've gathered from reading around and as other CAGs have suggested, wait on the new chipset. The estimated best time to buy would be late Aug/Sept. Price drop isn't as big a concern for me as the more reliable hardware.

Its a hard thing to wait out, and the PS3 has been looking pretty sweet lately too.

I hope they get it quieter too :whistle2:(

Well, I guess I'll just wait. Don't need it right now anyway, and surely they'll update it this year, or drop the price, or both...right? :D

[quote name='daroga']
I'm not up on the deals, how's the Elite $430 now?[/QUOTE]
I think he's factoring in this week's TRU deal of a free $50 gift card with the purchase of a 360 to arrive at that price.

-there is always going to be a pricedrop down the line.
-you dont need hdmi, regardless, or won't notice the difference.
-if the noise of the thing bugs you THAT much, unmute your tv. unless your tv is on mute its doubtul you'd even notice while playing a game.

I say if you want it, go get it. sounds like you're talking yourself out of it. I'm sure theres some nice bundles out there. (Canada has a nice 4 game bundle going on now including forza, for instance. not sure it the US has something similar going on)

[quote name='Mister Switch']-there is always going to be a pricedrop down the line.[/quote]

Yes, but the 360 has effectivly gone up in price since launch. It's nearing two years without a price drop, and a drop soon seems likely.

-you dont need hdmi, regardless, or won't notice the difference.

I do notice the difference, although less on games than on text where you see individual pixels.

-if the noise of the thing bugs you THAT much, unmute your tv. unless your tv is on mute its doubtul you'd even notice while playing a game.

Not true at all. The 360 is insanely loud (unless you luck out and get the third, apparently quieter drive). It detracts greatly from the experience, and means I'd much rather play a game on another platform if available. I can't hear my PC when the 360 is running a game, and I can hear the 360 through walls, closed doors, etc. It's extraordinarily poorly designed in both that regard and the reliability.

I say if you want it, go get it. sounds like you're talking yourself out of it. I'm sure theres some nice bundles out there. (Canada has a nice 4 game bundle going on now including forza, for instance. not sure it the US has something similar going on)

There aren't any bundles here, and buying it now I'd basically be gambling that better hardware and/or price wouldn't be available in the next 6 months or so.

A price drop seems imminent given the system is approaching the 2 year mark.

I'm waiting personally as $400 is just too much for any console for me personally, so it has to drop to at least $300 for a premium before I'll bite.

But if the price isn't too high in principle for you, and there are a lot of games that are personal "must plays" for you right now, just buy it somewhere with a 30 day price guarantee so you'll at least be covered for a month in case of a price drop.

I thought August 1st was a "rumored" price drop, but I highly doubt it. Also, they are supposed to release NEW chips soon to fix the red ring of death....also rumor.

Also, the new HALO 3 360 will have HDMI (which is basically a premium with HDMI).

I too am one that wishes to pick up a 360 (namely for GTAIV, Forza 2, and Dirt). However I just can't justify getting one right now, knowing the possibility of a more reliable one/cheaper one could be coming. I'm just hoping the price drops before October!

Yeah, that's a good idea, though I don't know if Toy's R Us does that (or would, what with the special).

Personally I think Microsoft should redesign everything-integrated PSU, more reliable, and quieter. Add an HDMI port to every SKU, and drop the price $100 (and drop the Elite SKU).

A $200/$300 price point along with improved hardware would just make their competition from both Nintendo and Sony look silly.

It sounds like Microsoft could afford to do that since they're making a profit on the hardware now. And I think they can't afford NOT to do it. I don't think they will though, which is a huge mistake for them, as Nintendo is eating away their lead, and Sony was apparently outselling the 360 at the same time frame even before the price drop, and is quickly going to approach software parity.

Strike while the iron is hot, and all that.

Well, thanks everyone. Helped me think through all this better.

Now I've got to decide if I want a Wii today... I had talked myself into just skipping the Wii, since it's focus on casual and party games is 100% not my thing, but then naturally once I can buy one I decide, hey, maybe I need one :D No will power I tell you. I'll probably end up with all three consoles, again :roll: and a gaming PC, and both portables. You'd think I could find ONE system to miss out on :D

I just sold my 360 over Craigslist yesterday in anticipation of a cheaper, upgraded 360 being released sometime between now and the holidays. Hope I didn't leave myself out to dry on this one.

If the 360 doesn't drop in price and doesn't get the rumored upgrades, the PS3 drops a little more, and MGS4 comes out early, I may make the switch to Sony. WTF, you know? MGS4 looked that good. But I'd rather stick with the 360 and hope for an eventual port of MGS4 in late 2008, early 2009.

[quote name='Wolfpup']
Now I've got to decide if I want a Wii today... I had talked myself into just skipping the Wii, since it's focus on casual and party games is 100% not my thing, but then naturally once I can buy one I decide, hey, maybe I need one :D No will power I tell you. I'll probably end up with all three consoles, again :roll: and a gaming PC, and both portables. You'd think I could find ONE system to miss out on :D[/QUOTE]

kind of a different situation with the Wii-- if you want one get it before mid to late
september because they will be non-existent over the holidays, unless you like camping.

[quote name='doubledown']I thought August 1st was a "rumored" price drop, but I highly doubt it. Also, they are supposed to release NEW chips soon to fix the red ring of death....also rumor.

Also, the new HALO 3 360 will have HDMI (which is basically a premium with HDMI).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, both are rumors. Price drop seems imminent, but may not happen in August. I could see it though to build up even more steam for Halo 3. But on the other hand they could let Halo 3 sell as many $400 360s as it can and then drop price in Oct/Nov to get more holiday sales.

Chips will definitely be in at somepoint as they are cheaper for them to make, but hard to tell when, and whether there will be anyway to tell which boxes in the store have the new chips.

Also, I though I read that the Halo 3 X-box 360 was canned at E3??

I thought there was an announcement about the "Falcon" before E3, which said late August for the new chipset.

[quote name='Apossum']I thought there was an announcement about the "Falcon" before E3, which said late August for the new chipset.[/QUOTE]

I think that proved to be a rumor as well, at least the date anyway, as well as the Falcon being a new skew--think it was just their internal name for the system with the new chips.

But hopefully it will be a new sku. With them announcing that all 360s are defective, putting out a new sku and saying they solved the problem would go a long way to selling consoles to those holding off because of the giant defect rate.

But of course, such a move would piss off all of those who had the defective boxes with the old chips. But they could placate them buy saying if there's breaks it will be repaired with the new chips installed or something.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I think that proved to be a rumor as well, at least the date anyway, as well as the Falcon being a new skew--think it was just their internal name for the system with the new chips.

But hopefully it will be a new sku. With them announcing that all 360s are defective, putting out a new sku and saying they solved the problem would go a long way to selling consoles to those holding off because of the giant defect rate.

But of course, such a move would piss off all of those who had the defective boxes with the old chips. But they could placate them buy saying if there's breaks it will be repaired with the new chips installed or something.[/QUOTE]

gotcha. this is what I was thinking of:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144115&highlight=falcon

I forgot Dean Takahashi does not actually work for MS.

[quote name='Apossum']kind of a different situation with the Wii-- if you want one get it before mid to late
september because they will be non-existent over the holidays, unless you like camping.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I can't quite bring myself to do that either. I mean basically I want Super Paper Mario and Zelda. Then MAYBE Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3...then??? I'm not aware of anything past Mario Galaxy, and I'm not that big a fan of the previous two games (though the E3 demo seemed sort of neat).

If the Virtual Console had the ability to deauthorize the system so a new one could be authorized, I'd buy a ton of stuff on that, but basically you're locked to one system, which I'm not willing to live with (ditto for Sony and Microsoft's systems).

So...it's kind of expensive for basically 2 current gen games. On the other hand, I do have some Gamecube games left to play through. On the other, other hand, I hate buying more current gen games for my gorgeous HD TV I bought last fall. It's got a good scaler, but even still, current gen stuff looks like crap compared to the 360/PS3.

[quote name='dmaul1114']
Also, I though I read that the Halo 3 X-box 360 was canned at E3??[/QUOTE]

It was announced at E3, so presumably they didn't then can it...though stranger things have happened :lol:

I have no idea what that means :D

I ALMOST went in for that Amazon PS3 deal too. Solid deal, but I don't need a PS3 quite yet either (thanks to my huge CAG-created backlog), and it seems like there might be a model later this year for $500 with a game. I'm hoping backwards compatibility on it is good enough that the lack of a PS2-on-a-chip is a moot point.

[quote name='dmaul1114']

Also, I though I read that the Halo 3 X-box 360 was canned at E3??[/QUOTE]

It's on XBOX.com and they brought it our during the press-conference. It was basically a greenish and orange box. Comes with HDMI out, but only 20GB HDD. Also has a matching controller.

I was disappointed it was the same design.

I still like the look better than the black one, even though I don't care about halo one way or the other.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Yeah, I can't quite bring myself to do that either. I mean basically I want Super Paper Mario and Zelda. Then MAYBE Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3...then??? I'm not aware of anything past Mario Galaxy, and I'm not that big a fan of the previous two games (though the E3 demo seemed sort of neat).

If the Virtual Console had the ability to deauthorize the system so a new one could be authorized, I'd buy a ton of stuff on that, but basically you're locked to one system, which I'm not willing to live with (ditto for Sony and Microsoft's systems).

So...it's kind of expensive for basically 2 current gen games. On the other hand, I do have some Gamecube games left to play through. On the other, other hand, I hate buying more current gen games for my gorgeous HD TV I bought last fall. It's got a good scaler, but even still, current gen stuff looks like crap compared to the 360/PS3.

[/QUOTE]

not at all--

1. buy wii
2. play zelda and SPM
3. wait for Xmas time
4. ???
5. Profit!

:)

[quote name='Wolfpup']Yeah, I can't quite bring myself to do that either. I mean basically I want Super Paper Mario and Zelda. Then MAYBE Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3...then??? I'm not aware of anything past Mario Galaxy, and I'm not that big a fan of the previous two games (though the E3 demo seemed sort of neat).
[/quote]

I'm in the same boat there, though I've had a Wii since launch. Have only bought Zelda and SPM, and the only thing past Mario, Metroid and Smash Bros that I want is Mario Kart. But to be fair they just haven't shown anything for 2008 yet, so it's too soon to be too negative.

[quote name='Wolfpup']
If the Virtual Console had the ability to deauthorize the system so a new one could be authorized, I'd buy a ton of stuff on that, but basically you're locked to one system, which I'm not willing to live with (ditto for Sony and Microsoft's systems).[/quote]

That's not true. They are linked to your console (and your My Nintendo account if you set one up). If you have to replace your console, you can call them and have them transfer the license for any games you bought to your new system.

[quote name='doubledown']It's on XBOX.com and they brought it our during the press-conference. It was basically a greenish and orange box. Comes with HDMI out, but only 20GB HDD. Also has a matching controller.[/QUOTE]

Guess I read wrong. That could be cool. I would kind of like HDMI just because I have a free HDMI input on my TV. But not a big deal either way as I could just pick up a DVI-->HDMI cable and move my HD Cable box over to HDMI to free up a component input.

Just found the pics, pretty ugly though. Think I prefer white.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I'm in the same boat there, though I've had a Wii since launch. Have only bought Zelda and SPM, and the only thing past Mario, Metroid and Smash Bros that I want is Mario Kart. But to be fair they just haven't shown anything for 2008 yet, so it's too soon to be too negative.[/quote]

And I don't like Smash Bros. or Mario Kart. I'm not even going to rent them, so that dosen't leave much incentive for me.

The "then...profit!" comment another poster left is pretty funny :D

That's not true. They are linked to your console (and your My Nintendo account if you set one up). If you have to replace your console, you can call them and have them transfer the license for any games you bought to your new system.

That works even if you just go out and buy a new console, not have them replace it? And it's official policy? If so, that's a great change to how it was. They're the only company of the three handling it semi-decently (though it should be an automated-do it yourself system.

With the Wii, by the time I add component cables, an Ethernet port, a classic controller, and a gamcube pad/memory card, I'm up to over $350...for a current gen system! I'm sorry, but that's just a rip off when compared to the 360 and PS3...but I'm still tempted.

I really would like to play Super Paper Mario. Zelda I care less about, as I feel like I've played it too many times already. I'd rather play Oblivion or something else that's more open worlded.

Ironically I'm more excited about playing Actraiser again than anything on the Wii past Metroid Prime 3 :whistle2:/

[quote name='Wolfpup']
That works even if you just go out and buy a new console, not have them replace it? And it's official policy? If so, that's a great change to how it was. They're the only company of the three handling it semi-decently (though it should be an automated-do it yourself system.
[/QUOTE]

Yep, as far as I know. As it would move the games from being registered on the other console, to the new one. So it's not like people could keep them on both. It would probably be smoother if you created a my nintendo account and link it up to the Wii though. Might be a hassle if you don't have that to back you up.

But in the end, given what you said, I wouldn't buy a Wii. I'm a huge Nintendo fan and have pretty much hated it so far. The game lineup has sucked and the VC games are over priced.

Also, Super Paper Mario, while a good game, is not a great game worth buying a console over. Being a mix of platformer and RPG it falls short of both mainstream mario platformers and the prior Paper Mario RPG games as it ends up doing just ok at both, rather than excelling at either element.

I'd just skip it, and emulate Actraiser and whatever else you want to play. SNES emulators are near flawless these days.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yep, as far as I know. As it would move the games from being registered on the other console, to the new one. So it's not like people could keep them on both. It would probably be smoother if you created a my nintendo account and link it up to the Wii though. Might be a hassle if you don't have that to back you up.

But in the end, given what you said, I wouldn't buy a Wii. I'm a huge Nintendo fan and have pretty much hated it so far. The game lineup has sucked and the VC games are over priced.

Also, Super Paper Mario, while a good game, is not a great game worth buying a console over. Being a mix of platformer and RPG it falls short of both mainstream mario platformers and the prior Paper Mario RPG games as it ends up doing just ok at both, rather than excelling at either element.

I'd just skip it, and emulate Actraiser and whatever else you want to play. SNES emulators are near flawless these days.[/QUOTE]

Well dang it, I'm being talked out of every system now :lol:

I do have Chibi Robo that I'd really like to play. Looks awesome (and a few other cheap 'Cube games I've picked up since selling my Cube).

[quote name='doubledown']I STILL say get a 360. PS3 is a nice machine, but games are not up to par....YET.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, no I agree, right now for me at least the 360 has the best current and future games. I mean stuff like Lost Odyssey/Blue Dragon, Mass Effect, BioShock, and Alan Wake are all must-buys for me, and are all console exclusives-with a bunch apparently not even hitting PC. The Wii and PS3 combined don't have that many games that are must-buys (for me personally-yet anyway).

That said, I don't actually need it NOW, since I've got over a dozen games to get through on my PSP, PS2, and DS (and tons more on PC). And I'm really hoping for a redesign that makes the crazy thing QUIET. I'm not sure how much I'll be able to enjoy Uematsu's score if there's a freaking CHAIN SAW running in the same room as the game. :bomb:

By the way, I'm disappointed to hear Super Paper Mario doesn't really live up to the previous games in either genre.

I actually don't like the previous two Paper Mario games as well as either Super Mario RPG or the two Mario & Luigi games anyway.

I just fell in love with the game when I saw that 3D mechanic at work, and gigantic 8-bit Mario :D

[quote name='Logg']I have never had a problem with the sound of my 360 seems kinda quite to me.[/QUOTE]

It varies by which drive you have.

[quote name='Wolfpup']By the way, I'm disappointed to hear Super Paper Mario doesn't really live up to the previous games in either genre.

I actually don't like the previous two Paper Mario games as well as either Super Mario RPG or the two Mario & Luigi games anyway.

I just fell in love with the game when I saw that 3D mechanic at work, and gigantic 8-bit Mario :D[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong, it's a good game. Just not the type of mind blowingly great game that's required to buy a system just to play.

Basically, it's a must buy for Wii owners who like Mario games, but it's not worth buying a Wii just to play given your lack of interest in other games on the system.

Yeah, the 360 drive never really annoyed me that much. Yes, it is kind of loud, but not loud enough to RUIN the experience. If you CAN wait, that is a good choice also.....since a price drop COULD happen soon.

A price drop will definitely happen relatively soon, just a question of how soon. August? Oct/Nov? Early 2008?

The other factor keeping me on the fence is that none of the games that I want that are out have dropped in price (i.e. Gears and Oblivion are still $60) and most of the games I'm excited for this year I probably wouldn't pay $60 for most of them either.

So it's pretty easy for me to hold off a while longer.

[quote name='Logg']I have never had a problem with the sound of my 360 seems kinda quite to me.[/QUOTE]

You've probably either lucked into the third, quieter drive, or have hearing loss (no offense, but a poll we did on another forum turned up that most of the people who didn't have an issue with the 360's drive also listen to heavy metal. :lol:

[quote name='dmaul1114']Don't get me wrong, it's a good game. Just not the type of mind blowingly great game that's required to buy a system just to play.

Basically, it's a must buy for Wii owners who like Mario games, but it's not worth buying a Wii just to play given your lack of interest in other games on the system.[/QUOTE]

It varies for me. I would have bought a DS just for New Super Mario Bros. (but then that system is almost 1/3 the cost of a Wii). And on the other hand, the 3D games aren't worth more than a rental to me. The previous Paper Mario games have fallen in the middle of that.

[quote name='dmaul1114']A price drop will definitely happen relatively soon, just a question of how soon. August? Oct/Nov? Early 2008?

The other factor keeping me on the fence is that none of the games that I want that are out have dropped in price (i.e. Gears and Oblivion are still $60) and most of the games I'm excited for this year I probably wouldn't pay $60 for most of them either.

So it's pretty easy for me to hold off a while longer.[/QUOTE]

Good point. I'd probably actually pay full price or close to it for Mass Effect and BioShock, but most games $20 is my limit, and even then I think twice about it.

But at least it's a better time to buy one than it WAS :D I mean at least they're acknowledging it and hopefully fixing it...though I'd feel better all around with a major redesign.

[quote name='Mister Switch']
[/QUOTE]

Oh god, not this shit again.

Seems we've covered the 360 noise and Wii VC issue in one thread. We can close this one and wait a week for it to come up again.

[quote name='Wolfpup']
It varies for me. I would have bought a DS just for New Super Mario Bros. (but then that system is almost 1/3 the cost of a Wii). And on the other hand, the 3D games aren't worth more than a rental to me. The previous Paper Mario games have fallen in the middle of that.[/QUOTE]

NSMB is much better than Super Paper Mario IMO.

bread's done
Back