Isn't it great when stores get rare cases...?

phoenix529

CAGiversary!
Feedback
71 (100%)
And don't have anything in their computer about charging more because of it?

I recently picked up the RE 4 GC Red Tin Gamestop Exclusive at GameStop for the exact same price that the RE 4 Player's Choice next to it was listed at. I also grabbed the Wind Waker/Master Quest bundle (in one single case) for the same price as Master Quest itself. Not that I'll ever sell these because I'm a packrat, but damn I made off nice.

Also, I noticed at one of the bigger Vintage Stocks that their prices don't differ on older games if they're NIB, CIB, or loose. They had WCW/NWO Revenge in all three of the above forms for $2.99 each, and some CIBs of Official Nintendo games listed at the same prices as their loose counterparts.

Just a heads up.

For most CE's, Gamestop sells them (used) at the same price as the regular editions. I believe a GS employee on here posted that was because when they take the trade in of the CE they don't want to have to make sure that all parts of the CE are traded in. They just make sure the game is traded in and assign it the used regular edition price even if it is complete.

Yeah this has been going on for about a decade. Gamestop prices are the same for disc only as they are for complete, and they don't have any price differences between normal and special edition copies of games.

Now, there are exceptions to the rule, at least at Gamestop. For one, there is a difference in price between Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater and Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence. However, there is no difference between MGS3: Subsistence and MGS3: Subsistence LE, which is the one you really reeeeeeeeeaaaally want.

Whenever you're at a Gamestop that has a copy of MGS3: Subsistence (almost every single store has at least one), you want to double check to make sure it's not the LE version, which is worth serious dough. I found my LE copy that way, and it was complete and mint. The employees had no idea it was so rare and special. If I recall, I even used a coupon to pick it up for 30% off the $19.99...

I've noticed this quite alot too, last one I recall was FFXII CE priced the same as the standard versions. There are some exceptions to the rule though... perhaps it's changed since then but I remember Battlefield BC had different prices and TIVs for the Regular and Gold editions. That's the only one I can think of, there might be more though but yeah generally you can get more bang for your buck if you keep an eye out for the CEs.

On a side note, I didn't know there was a Windwaker/Ocarina double pack until you mentioned it. Seems like quite a score... does anyone know where this particular release came from?

Games that have extra content on the disc tend to be separate at first, then made one SKU later. A few examples:

Doom 3/Doom CE (collectors had the tin and Doom 1)
Madden 2009/Madden 2009 XX Collectors Edition (something fancy with the C)
Battlefield: Bad Company/Battlefield: Bad Company Gold Edition (extra weapons)
Spider-Man 3/Spider-Man 3 CE(PS3 only, extra character)

But in most cases, it's the same UNLESS there is something extra on the actual disc itself.

[quote name='eastshore4']
On a side note, I didn't know there was a Windwaker/Ocarina double pack until you mentioned it. Seems like quite a score... does anyone know where this particular release came from?[/QUOTE]

I was wondering the same thing. I've never seen it before, and I even pre-ordered Wind Waker. This isn't an actual picture of my copy cause I can't find my wife's camera, but this is what it looks like:

!BSdN,EQBmk~$(KGrH$$$$jIEjlLmWpluBKDRW4Wjww~~_35.JPG

Mine has all that stuff inside, a better case, plus instructions on how to use your GBA to talk to Tingle. Not bad, I think.

There are no pictures of the spine or rear cover, but I thought it was interesting to note that the spine and rear cover of this set are identical to the Wind Waker box, with no mention of Ocarina. The only difference is a "NOT FOR RESALE" box on the lower right on the back.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dodgeme']I got Assassin's Creed LE for 20 a while back. Wanted it as the tin was cool. Missing Altair though :(.[/QUOTE]

You can have mine for $3 shipped if you want. I still have the whole tin.

[quote name='karkyco']Now, there are exceptions to the rule, at least at Gamestop. For one, there is a difference in price between Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater and Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence.
Aren't those two different games. Subsistence was released with new content and a better camera than Snake Eater.

The Wind Waker/Ocarina 2pack was the walmart release. They got the games packaged together instead of in separate cases like EB/GS. I have two cases as I reserved at GS.

i love walmart with their exclusive bundles.. those pokeman bundles will have alot of value one day cause they're unique.

i hate how gamestop butchers the limited edition sets. if it doesnt fit in the shelf they usually throw the boxes away and sell everything separately. youll never find a time crisis bundle used at gamestop..

youll always find the game and the gun sold separately. i think thats really dumb because you need to buy the gun if youre buying the game otherwise how else are you going to play it?

[quote name='MrMaddness']Games that have extra content on the disc tend to be separate at first, then made one SKU later. A few examples:

Battlefield: Bad Company/Battlefield: Bad Company Gold Edition (extra weapons)[/QUOTE]

Gamestop still takes this in as the Gold edition and sells it for $39.99. I picked my Gold edition up at GameCrazy for $14.99 used.

[quote name='Scorch']Gamestop still takes this in as the Gold edition and sells it for $39.99. I picked my Gold edition up at GameCrazy for $14.99 used.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Gamestop does do that. I remember my friend trying to trade in his Devil May Cry 4 special edition awhile ago, and he asked how much he would get for a normal copy, and they gave him the same trade in value. He ended up not trading it in, and a couple weeks later I picked up a copy myself since I saw it in a store. Even had the outer sleeve outside of the tin and all the extras too.

Much better than Hollywood/GameZone. I was at my game zone today, they have Fable II at 39.99 and the CE at 59.99 used!!!

on the otherhand they have Halo 3 for 39.99 and Halo 3 CE for 29.99.

[quote name='phear3d']i love walmart with their exclusive bundles.. those pokeman bundles will have alot of value one day cause they're unique.

i hate how gamestop butchers the limited edition sets. if it doesnt fit in the shelf they usually throw the boxes away and sell everything separately. youll never find a time crisis bundle used at gamestop..

youll always find the game and the gun sold separately. i think thats really dumb because you need to buy the gun if youre buying the game otherwise how else are you going to play it?[/QUOTE]

Because they don't take the bundle. They don't take the gun.

i got ninja gaiden sigma like that, a month later i went to the store looking for the LE, they told me they were long gone , manager said that he recalls having seen a used one, there it was on the shelf, ended up up getting the sigma LE for less than a regular new one w/ Edge

[quote name='phoenix529']Which is what's dumb. Honestly, what are you gonna do with a TC4 with no gun???[/QUOTE]

Found a good deal on a TC4, disc got stolen, disc got locked inside ps3 that had blu-ray tray problems. Haha, im just playing devil's advocate ;)

It's sort of a good deal except you basically have to search through the shelves at each store to find if they have any used special editions since you can't use the website locator. And even if you do find the case, there's no guarantee you'll get any bonus discs (since they're mixed in with the regular copies...).

That's true, it's completely YMMV, especially with the customer service. I got a black label copy of Okami at GameStop the other day and the guy pulled out the GH disc. I stopped him and said "Wait, do you have the black label?" He smiled like he was glad somebody knew what was going on and turned around to look for it. Found it, and it was even in better condition than the GH disc.

[quote name='phoenix529']That's true, it's completely YMMV, especially with the customer service. I got a black label copy of Okami at GameStop the other day and the guy pulled out the GH disc. I stopped him and said "Wait, do you have the black label?" He smiled like he was glad somebody knew what was going on and turned around to look for it. Found it, and it was even in better condition than the GH disc.[/QUOTE]

That pisses me off too... especially when it's the only copy left so they can't swap it out for you.

I actually just opened the WW/OoT combo to find no Wind Waker disc today. I called GS and the girl that sold it to me is the store manager so she got all apologetic, found it, and offered to ship it to me since I live 50 miles away. (literally). But my parents live there so I'll stop by this weekend.

That's why you always check your discs at GS, especially if you live 50 miles away from it. :)

I'm gonna have to look out for that windwaker combo disc, have wanted to get one cheap for my gamecube collection but always figured gs would just take them in seperately.

True. And I usually do. But i was so effing excited I just wanted to get home and show my wife what I got.

Oh, and it's not that cheap. It's just cheaper than what it's probably worth (rarity-wise). It's marked $39.99

bread's done
Back