Issues with PS3 Blu Ray Output

Tronny

CAGiversary!
Feedback
43 (100%)
Hey CAGs, I thought I would throw this out there and see if anyone has a potential fix. I have a slim PS3 connected to a Sony receiver and a 47" Insignia LCD tv, all through HDMI. When playing games or watching Netflix the video is output in the correct resolution and aspect ratio. When I watch a Blu Ray movie the video is output in 1080p but in 4:3 aspect ratio. I have tried resetting every setting that I could find and even did the hard reset by holding down the power button for 5 seconds, nothing has worked. Anybody have this problem or know of anything that I could be missing?

That's really kind of weird.Does this happen with all movies or just some? Is there some setting in the TV itself that would somehow be different for games? How about the receiver?

[quote name='Hybrid5006']Check your PS3 settings. I believe there should be a section on BluRay playback.[/QUOTE]

I've gone through every setting available on the XMB and nothing.

Pob14 - I don't see a setting on the tv that I could change other than the typical zoom features, likewise on the receiver. Like I said its only when playing a Blu Ray disc, games that are presented in 1080p are displayed at the correct aspect ratio as are "HD" netflix movies. I've tried 4 different Blu Rays and get the same thing each time. I've seen a couple of posts on the PSN forum with the same problems but there hasn't been a response that fixes my issue...

Is your HDMI going through your receiver?

Have you tried running HDMI from your PS3 to TV and seeing if this problem persists?

I've got a Denon receiver that does upconversion on all sources and I remember having to adjust settings in there. I'd try it without the receiver in the picture and see if that resolves it. If not, at least you've eliminated one variable...

[quote name='mtxbass1']Is your HDMI going through your receiver?

Have you tried running HDMI from your PS3 to TV and seeing if this problem persists?

I've got a Denon receiver that does upconversion on all sources and I remember having to adjust settings in there. I'd try it without the receiver in the picture and see if that resolves it. If not, at least you've eliminated one variable...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I tried that. When the PS3 is connected directly to the TV the same thing happens, only Blu Rays are output in 4:3. That tells me that it has to be something with the PS3 as everything else is displayed correctly on the TV (i.e. games, Netflix, cable box, 360 etc.).

So I accidentally figured it out last night. I had the color output set to automatic thinking that it would "automatically" output the correct format. When I changed it to RGB only, the PS3 now displays 1080p in 16:9. Just a heads up if anyone else has this problem. Thanks for all the advice.

bread's done
Back