Issues with sound

Mippo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
So I am at wit's end here if anyone can help. 

My sound works when I connect my speakers to the front jack.  My sound works if I connect a monitor through HDMI, but does not work if connected through the audio jacks in the back.

The Onboard Sound is enabled in Bios, the drivers are completely updated (and re-installed to double-check), as well in Realtek it shows the devices as working with sound coming through.  When you're playing something with sound it shows the audio moving up and down.

I have heard that sometimes video card drivers can hijack the onboard sound, I currently use a Sapphire AMD 7850 2gb card.  When viewing the sound connections through Catalyst Control center, it does not recognize the audio devices (like the monitor) that the Realtek control center recognizes.  Is there potentially a setting or something I need to enable / disable, or is it just a defective motherboard?

It's definitely not that.  For some reason the Realtek Digital Output that everything defaults to does not play sound, nor does the monitor when selected but I found out if you select Speakers it works.  I was just going through everything that popped up with sound, and ran a test on the Speakers and voila, it worked so I at least have sound from the monitor now, just from a different setting.   It still doesn't explain why the Realtek Digital Output isn't recognizing it and playing it.  I'm guessing there is a setting I am missing somewhere.  

bread's done
Back