Itchy & Scratchy or (Pre-80's) Tom & Jerry

Xevious

CAGiversary!
Here is a cartoon poll for you.

Do you prefer the Itchy & Scratchy shorts from the Simpsons episodes or do you prefer the original source material, Tom & Jerry.

Disclamer:
For the sake of this poll, I am not counting the sanitized "Tom & Jerry and Friends Show" from the 1980s. I think this is the worst period of Saturday morning cartoons and It should not be considered.

[quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='Trakan']Tom and Jerry. I loved the show when I was younger.[/quote]

I still love it.[/quote]

I'd probably still watch it, but I don't know when/if it comes on anymore.

Yeah...I love Tom & Jerry too.

My favorite gag is when Tom runs right into the hoe and the stick part hits him in the face. I also like the Dog and his son ("heh heh heh, thaast my boy!!").

Those sounds effects are great too. Priceless!

[quote name='Trakan'][quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='Trakan']Tom and Jerry. I loved the show when I was younger.[/quote]

I still love it.[/quote]

I'd probably still watch it, but I don't know when/if it comes on anymore.[/quote]

It's generally on CN in the middle of the day and early in the morning, or at least that's when I've seen it on.

[quote name='Trakan'][quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='Trakan']Tom and Jerry. I loved the show when I was younger.[/quote]

I still love it.[/quote]

I'd probably still watch it, but I don't know when/if it comes on anymore.[/quote]

Get the DVD, it's hailarious! Plus there's a ton of good extras.

IIRC, Tom & Jerry went through 3 or 4 different production companies, so the quality of the toons varies from era to era.

I'll take T&J over I&S, simply for being more inspired. There's only so much you can do with a cat and a mouse before it gets tired, and they lasted many years.

[quote name='shawagg']Get the DVD, it's hailarious! Plus there's a ton of good extras.[/quote]

Agreed! However, be aware that the shorts in the "spotlight collection" are not uncut, somehave been edited to tone down the violence :(

[quote name='MorbidAngel4Life']Ithcy and Scratchy. As much as I like Tom and Jerry, I&S Is 10 times funnier.[/quote]

I concur. I&S needs to spin off The Simpsons and be its own show.

[quote name='bfg9k'][quote name='shawagg']Get the DVD, it's hailarious! Plus there's a ton of good extras.[/quote]

Agreed! However, be aware that the shorts in the "spotlight collection" are not uncut, somehave been edited to tone down the violence :([/quote]

Yeah but WB has acknowledged it and promised that once they fix and master a new run they'll let us folks who already bought it, trade it in with them... but they said this a week after release and so far they haven't announced it.

[quote name='cheapass Gundam'][quote name='MorbidAngel4Life']Ithcy and Scratchy. As much as I like Tom and Jerry, I&S Is 10 times funnier.[/quote]

I concur. I&S needs to spin off The Simpsons and be its own show.[/quote]

It would last all of about 30 seconds. :lol:

How can you even compare the two? Tom and Jerry are in the cartoon hall of fame while the other guys don't even have their own show.

Tom and Jerry, provided it's from the period when they actually were disturbingly violent to each other. They really wussified as time went on.

[quote name='jmcc']Tom and Jerry, provided it's from the period when they actually were disturbingly violent to each other. They really wussified as time went on.[/quote]

I agreed with you. Thats why I am not considering 80's stuff. Their early stuff was very violent and very funny.

Like I said before. I love those sound effects. WHAAAAAAACK!!!

I absolutly hate Tom and Jerry... well actually I hate Jerry. That little F*cker always seems to get the better of Tom, a cat, and chasing mice is only his nature. Tom seems like such a nice cat too, his owner (the one African American woman) always gives him something to do or watch, but then the little sh!t head Jerry comes along and screws him over.

In Itchy and Scratchy I hate them both equally because they are crazy killing machines with no respect for those around them. Therefore, I think its funny when they both inflict pain on each other.

Itchy and Scratchy all the Way!

T&J rock. I agree that I don't think I&S could make it on its own - I feel like their best work has already been done. Plus parents would go crazy. Now that I think about it they could probably run it on Adult Swim, keep it to 15 minutes, run 2 cartoons (so that each is about 6 1/2 or 7 minutes) and it would probably get decent ratings. I also think they should spin-off a show called "Mo's" with Lenny and Carl and the gang and run it on cable. That would be sweet.
"

[quote name='crystalklear64']I absolutly hate Tom and Jerry... well actually I hate Jerry. That little F*cker always seems to get the better of Tom, a cat, and chasing mice is only his nature. Tom seems like such a nice cat too, his owner (the one African American woman) always gives him something to do or watch, but then the little sh!t head Jerry comes along and screws him over.
[/quote]

I do recall some episodes where Tom is abusive to Jerry in the beginnning and Jerry gets back at him at the end. He's not always a little shit.

[quote name='Xevious']Like I said before. I love those sound effects. WHAAAAAAACK!!![/quote]

Yes, the foley artists did a great job in those Tom & Jerry cartoons. Watching the Texas Tom episode, my little sister and I laughed so damn hard when Jerry slapped Tom with a cactus slab, tears came. That...is comedy.

As a kid, I always cringed when T&J was the only cartoon on the tube with no other choices. Looney Toons and Pink Panther were always more fun to watch than T&J. Heck, even Popeye would do.

I actually get shocked when people tell me that they never watched Tom and Jerry or that they didn't like it. I just assumed everyone loved it as much as I did.

And I'm really glad no one has voted for "I don't watch animated shows."

bread's done
Back