Item Not As Described

Bune

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
So a few weeks ago I bought a carry bag off of ebay from a guy in Europe. The description states "brand new, limited edition" but when I opened the box yesterday it was obviously not new, brand or otherwise, as it reeked of cigarette smoke. I tried searching ebay for the "item not as described" option but I can't find it anymore - was it moved to paypal?

At any rate, I emailed the seller and let them know I'm returning the bag and asked them to refund my money because of this. I wonder how well it'll turn out though.

[quote name='Bune']So a few weeks ago I bought a carry bag off of ebay from a guy in Europe. The description states "brand new, limited edition" but when I opened the box yesterday it was obviously not new, brand or otherwise, as it reeked of cigarette smoke. I tried searching ebay for the "item not as described" option but I can't find it anymore - was it moved to paypal?

At any rate, I emailed the seller and let them know I'm returning the bag and asked them to refund my money because of this. I wonder how well it'll turn out though.[/QUOTE]

that sucks man... damn those europeans and their cigarettes.

that happened to me before. i brought a game on ebay that was suppose to be mint and complete. the jewel case was crack and broken to the point that it was being held together with tape. there was also ebgames used stickers on it all over the place. the seller didn't even bother removing the $5.99 used sticker on it when i paid $19.99 for it. paypal sucks. they told that i had to send the item back using my money if i wanted a refund (minus the $6 initial shipping cost which was charged by the seller). WTF!

hopefully, this will turn out well for you Bune

I'd see what the seller says before opening an official dispute through PP or eBay. Going to that before giving the seller a chance to make it right may piss him off and it doesn't cost you anything but a day or two. If he won't do anything or doesn't respond, then open a dispute. Just my 2 cents.

How did you pay? eBay won't force the guy to refund or accept a return AFAIK, and probably the best they'll do is let you know you can leave whatever FB you feel is warranted. If you paid with a money order, etc. you are probably pretty much at the seller's mercy here.

Have to assume the guy smokes like a chimney and everything he sells stinks of smoke. Yech. Does he have any comments on his feedback to that effect?

Oh I'm waiting a few days, I just wondered where the option had run off too.

and the feedback is free of smoke comments, weird. It is possible that since this bag was handed out at a press event it occured there, but it's still annoying and stinky.

Kind of funny - apparently he had someone's email address on his clipboard when he went to leave feedback.

ah yes - I forgot to say I paid through paypal.

[quote name='wubb']I'd see what the seller says before opening an official dispute through PP or eBay. Going to that before giving the seller a chance to make it right may piss him off and it doesn't cost you anything but a day or two. If he won't do anything or doesn't respond, then open a dispute. Just my 2 cents.

How did you pay? eBay won't force the guy to refund or accept a return AFAIK, and probably the best they'll do is let you know you can leave whatever FB you feel is warranted. If you paid with a money order, etc. you are probably pretty much at the seller's mercy here.

Have to assume the guy smokes like a chimney and everything he sells stinks of smoke. Yech. Does he have any comments on his feedback to that effect?[/QUOTE]

dont want to wait too long.. you only have 45 days to file a claim with paypal

I had this problem with a game. I bought a game it was supposed to be new and sealed. I get it a few weeks later, and it was used. The case was also cracked. I emailed the seller. Got a response from 4 different people with 4 different solutions. Sent the game back heard nothing from seller. Emailed seller a few times. So this brings me to a paypal dispute.

Which I would do if I where you. If the seller doesn't want to take it back. Send it back and make sure you can prove that you sent the item back. Then file a claim with paypal.

So yea I bought Battlefield 360 off Ebay earlier this week. The listing was the stock listing you get when you input the UPC code BUT the condition which starts as just - was changed to NEW. It arrived today opened with finger prints on the disc, bent up book and no 48 hour Live card but the seller was nice enough to reattach the xbox certified seal on the spine...... He has low but perfect feedback all positive and has sold several new and used games recently, wonder if the news were like this?

I've already filed a complaint with Paypal and contacted the buyer through Ebay:
"[FONT=Arial, Verdana]DEAR JERK ->NEW

ohhhh, i had a problem with something reeking of cigarette smoke, it also was not as described, i hate going back to it because i closed the case because stupid paypal wanted me to file a police report, so bye bye paypal and pretty much 90% of my online buying

LOL decided to email the seller who bait and switched me again. This time less attacking and more threatening lol:

"[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Dear sir, you have sold me a USED game with the little xbox sticker reattached, finger prints on the disc, manual bent AND the 48 hour Live trial card missing AND YOU ADVERTISED THIS AS NEW.

I have already filed a complaint with Paypal for a refund or partial credit of $12 to be refunded for the fair value of a USED game. If you are unwilling to refund this a complaint WILL BE filed with Ebay on the 11th. That is the 1st day a complaint can be filed since they call for a 10 day waiting period... Also I will file mail fraud charges against you since what you did is in fact mail fraud. You advertised something as NEW and then sent via the USPS a USED item. I have photographed everything and my ace in the hole as evidence for my mail fraud complaint, my lovely wife who was with me when I got the package is a United States Postal Service employee.

So now the ball is in your court, refund the partial credit in the Paypal claim and we can drop all this.....
Thanks"

I was thinking while I was sending this, what truly stops people from just selling you a 360 and sending you a box of carrots? Seriously does Paypal just believe everyone who files a claim saying I ordered X but got Y? How do you prove anything at all be it the buyer or the seller trying to prove they did no wrong? Ebay is a happy place and I like selling to the idiots on there and you can get good deals sometimes but it really is a scammers paradise........
[/FONT]

bread's done
Back