It's 9-11 once again does anyone still care?

Drtyazn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
It seems like such a long time since the twin tower tragedy. Every year its' significance dwindles as people "move on and try to forget." That's what it looks like out here in Seattle. A few scattered flags on houses, cars, shirts. I guess everything fades in time, and being in the middle of the New Orleans crisis, it takes a back seat. I wish it didn't take disaster to bring our country together. What do you CAGs think? Anyone still care?

[quote name='smalien1']Isn't 9/11 now officialy Patriot Day?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I saw "Patriot Day" on my calendar at work, when did that happen...

But back to topic, yeah I think people still care. You don't need to be in constant shock and fear to adequately remember something like 9/11.

Nope, dont care.

I feel for the people who lost loved ones then. But it is done and over with, no use living in the past though.

After what happened with the Katrina Hurricane, I know we are not ready for another 9/11 style attack.

[quote name='the_gloaming']I can't believe you would even ask that.[/QUOTE]
I am just commenting on what I see out here, it's business as usual. I guess one can care and not show it...

[quote name='Xevious']After what happened with the Katrina Hurricane, I know we are not ready for another 9/11 style attack.[/QUOTE]

i dont think thats true at all. they are completely different. in style, preperations, and execution.

to stay on topic, im sure people still care, it varies like levels

I care, mainly because of the way that we reacted the worst in the years since it. We've done more harm to America than the terrorists ever could have hoped to.

[quote name='musha666']Nope, dont care.

I feel for the people who lost loved ones then. But it is done and over with, no use living in the past though.[/QUOTE]

Try telling that to anybody who lost a loved one during 9/11.

This isn't a personal attack on you; it's just the fact that we will never know what it feels like because we haven't been in their shoes. I'll bet there are a lot of people in NYC "living in the past," even if it's only for today.

[quote name='iheartmetal']i dont think thats true at all. they are completely different. in style, preperations, and execution.

to stay on topic, im sure people still care, it varies like levels[/QUOTE]

Yeah, a 9/11 is comparatively easy to clean up. I think they were saying that we're clearly not ready for a terrorist attack on a city-wide level, though. And we're sure not. If a suitcase nuke or biological contaminant was released in a major metro center it would end up just like Katrina; Probably worse, since there'd be no warning in such a case.

[quote name='musha666']Nope, dont care.

I feel for the people who lost loved ones then. But it is done and over with, no use living in the past though.[/QUOTE]

well if you want to say that then lets add all the people in the hurricane. BOO HOO stop crying its done and over with no get off your asses and get jobs

[quote name='slidecage']well if you want to say that then lets add all the people in the hurricane. BOO HOO stop crying its done and over with no get off your asses and get jobs[/QUOTE]

Because several years time is the same as a week or two?

to be honest, you just reminded me but I do care. It was shitty, and I still wonder from time to time what it would be like to be close to ground zero and see the whole thing go down. A lot of people I know who were there won't even talk about it.

I'm sure people do care and remember, but the whole flag hanging days because everyone else is doing it and it's "patriotic" is over.

[quote name='jmcc']I care, mainly because of the way that we reacted the worst in the years since it. We've done more harm to America than the terrorists ever could have hoped to.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more.

Everyone still remembers, we're all just trying to repress the memory. Who would want to focus on it, you know? So many people died that day, it's not like this is a happy anniversary. I think it's actually pretty sickening that this would even be considered a holiday. Let's take a look at the definition:

hol·i·day Audio pronunciation of "holiday" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hl-d)
n.

1. A day free from work that one may spend at leisure, especially a day on which custom or the law dictates a halting of general business activity to commemorate or celebrate a particular event.
2. A religious feast day; a holy day.

This isn't a religious feast day, and the only "holy" part about this day is the "holy shit!" part. I agree with Zion. 9-11 has become more of a staple for the war than anything else..

this thread's going to turn ugly..

[quote name='Scorch']Everyone still remembers, we're all just trying to repress the memory. Who would want to focus on it, you know? So many people died that day, it's not like this is a happy anniversary.[/QUOTE] :cry:

None of you are New Yorker's, 9/11 was the same to a lot of you as watching something getting blown up across the globe...out of site out of mind..I see Ground Zero all the time, I still see the flowers and the picture's on the wall's, I was downtown the day it happened, I still remember walking 7 miles to get home... the Smoke, watching people plummet to their death's on live TV, the fear of not knowing what's next, so for all you insensitive bastards on here you can all kiss my ass and be grateful it wasn't your hometown and wasn't your family member's dying, my heart goes out to all the Katrina survivor's and families' of 9/11...

Just because we were lucky not to go through the horror that you and, many other people, went through doesn't mean that we can't feel sorry or be sad.

[quote name='zionoverfire']I don't care, 9-11 has really become a marred symbol wrapped up in our President's crusade through the middle east to me.[/QUOTE]
Dude you are such a dick....How could you say that you dont care...

How would you like it if you were one of the people stuck on the planes or in the towers when it happened...or someone in your family was. Bet you would care then, huh?

[quote name='Banshee350']Dude you are such a dick....How could you say that you dont care...

How would you like it if you were one of the people stuck on the planes or in the towers when it happened...or someone in your family was. Bet you would care then, huh?[/QUOTE]

The whole thing's become a mockery, though. Any time some congressman wants to push something through they make mention of 9/11. It's a joke. A disgusting joke.

I definitely care and I will never forget. I don't want to dwell on it though. I live near DC and now people who work in the Pentagon. I will never forget when I heard what happened. Nobody knew what to say or do. There really was nothing to say. Everyone was in shock. I didn't expect it, nor did many others. My life changed a lot that day.

Tht's all i gotta say. I think everyone should care. You shouldn't have to think about it and feel down all day, though.

[quote name='Maverick CRV']Try telling that to anybody who lost a loved one during 9/11.

This isn't a personal attack on you; it's just the fact that we will never know what it feels like because we haven't been in their shoes. I'll bet there are a lot of people in NYC "living in the past," even if it's only for today.[/QUOTE]

About 2800 people died in 9/11.

More then 25,000 people die of starvation every single day.

Historically 9/11 was significant, it was taken as an act of war and despite a costly conflict the executive branch failed utterly in their responsibility to catch the terrorist leader.

Now American soldiers are dying in a country that had nothing to do with the 9/11 incident.

9/11, sure it was a failure of intelligence but the reactionary nationalistic jingoism and ineffective press corps shortly thereafter were a much costlier mistake.

It angers me that this presidential administration has used the phrase "9/11" and general public ignorance to finance their neocon agenda. People should recognize the even for what it is - a tragic terrorist attack, not a call to arms for a modern day middle-east oil-and-democracy crusades.

This is totally not an attack on you dude, it's just my rebuttal to years of listening to a carefully cultivated ethnocentric interpretation on what was really a failure of general airline security and American intelligence agencies.

Yes, I care. The anniversary of the Sept 11th attacks reminds me that there lots of people out there who would gladly kill me for my nationality, my ethnicity, my religious affiliation (or lack thereof,) or even for the color clothes I happen to be wearing. I remember running down a list of my friends and family as I listened to the radio that morning, thinking if any of them were in the effected areas. I remind myself that people are people the whole world over, and that a turbaned Muslim man in the Middle East is trying to make the best of his life today, just like I am...just like my Jewish neighbors, my Catholic neighbors, and my agnostic neighbors. And I try to bear with as much good grace as I can the predictable yet unavoidable shenanigans of interest groups and public officials who will always try to capitalize on human misery, in their efforts to push their own agendas.

"Those who forget the past are condemmed to repeat it"

As a history teacher, this quote (and other variations) is something that I feel is incredibly important. Just because you feel that someone has co-opted an event for their own personal or political gain should not affect YOUR feeling on the event.

If you truly don't care, then I suppose your political or social opinions don't matter much because it is likely that you are so apathetic and disillusioned that you will never exercise your right to vote...only your right to whine on a message board :)

To those that do remember (even if it is only on this day), thank you.

OC

wow i love all these liberal camel jocky lovers who think the war in iraq is over oil

YES i care it was a horrible day for anyone with feelings , i try to forget about it

[quote name='Birakon']wow i love all these liberal camel jocky lovers who think the war in iraq is over oil

YES i care it was a horrible day for anyone with feelings , i try to forget about it[/QUOTE]

Woo. And heeeeeeeeere comes the racial slurs.

I think all of us still care about the tragedy...

But, it's gotten to the point where the DATE September 11th has no meaning for me. Plus, it's my Aunt's birthday, with mine 2 days after, so we don't want this day to be doom and gloom.

[quote name='the_gloaming']I can't believe you would even ask that.[/QUOTE]
Holy crap, you're right! The OP is asking people how they feel about the anniversary of a terrorist attack! Let's get him!

Thanks for the honest resonses.. agreeing or not. Last Wednesday a lady's car was dead in a right turn lane, and at least 5 cars drove right around honking, and one guy flipped her off. I also was late for work, but I stopped and pushed her car around the corner. A few more people honked and gave hand gestures to me as I got back to my car. I wonder if people who hate Americans think we're all like the ones who drive by and scoff. Maybe things like that don't really matter in the big picture. Maybe we're hated for who we are no matter what. That's a sick feeling.

[quote name='OrangeCurtain']"Those who forget the past are condemmed to repeat it"

As a history teacher, this quote (and other variations) is something that I feel is incredibly important. Just because you feel that someone has co-opted an event for their own personal or political gain should not affect YOUR feeling on the event.

If you truly don't care, then I suppose your political or social opinions don't matter much because it is likely that you are so apathetic and disillusioned that you will never exercise your right to vote...only your right to whine on a message board :)

To those that do remember (even if it is only on this day), thank you.

OC[/QUOTE]

While Pearl Harbor and now 9/11 will live on as days of infamy in the most American's minds, as a history teacher do you also mark the anniversary of incidents such as Wounded Knee (12/29)? As you say:

"Those who forget the past are condemmed to repeat it"

I remember, but for an entirely different reason- Sept. 11th is my sister's birthday.

I got her the 3rd InuYasha movie, which she much liked. :D

[quote name='camoor']About 2800 people died in 9/11.

More then 25,000 people die of starvation every single day.

Historically 9/11 was significant, it was taken as an act of war and despite a costly conflict the executive branch failed utterly in their responsibility to catch the terrorist leader.

Now American soldiers are dying in a country that had nothing to do with the 9/11 incident.

9/11, sure it was a failure of intelligence but the reactionary nationalistic jingoism and ineffective press corps shortly thereafter were a much costlier mistake.

It angers me that this presidential administration has used the phrase "9/11" and general public ignorance to finance their neocon agenda. People should recognize the even for what it is - a tragic terrorist attack, not a call to arms for a modern day middle-east oil-and-democracy crusades.

This is totally not an attack on you dude, it's just my rebuttal to years of listening to a carefully cultivated ethnocentric interpretation on what was really a failure of general airline security and American intelligence agencies.[/QUOTE]
Caring about 9/11 should not be looked at as a political issue. You may not agree with what has traspired after the attacks (im not here to argue), but you should care. All of those people trapped in the buildings and airplanes, and all those brave firefighers and policemen lost their lives, and you want to turn it into "Well I dont care because Bush screwed up". I dont mean to make it a personal attack on you, but people in general who look at 9/11 in that way. You dont have to be depressed or sad all day, but just remember what happened and care

[quote name='Drtyazn']Thanks for the honest resonses.. agreeing or not. Last Wednesday a lady's car was dead in a right turn lane, and at least 5 cars drove right around honking, and one guy flipped her off. I also was late for work, but I stopped and pushed her car around the corner. A few more people honked and gave hand gestures to me as I got back to my car. I wonder if people who hate Americans think we're all like the ones who drive by and scoff. Maybe things like that don't really matter in the big picture. Maybe we're hated for who we are no matter what. That's a sick feeling.[/QUOTE]
agreed. too many americans care only about themselves and are ignorant to their surroundings.

[quote name='MadChedar0']Yeah I saw "Patriot Day" on my calendar at work, when did that happen...

But back to topic, yeah I think people still care. You don't need to be in constant shock and fear to adequately remember something like 9/11.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's another commercialized holiday (another day for the government that doesn't work, to have off and get paid for it). I guess I care and I dont' care, I look at it as a tragedy for all those involved (minus terrorists), but I look at it as the begining of the downfall of the US government, I can't beleive they had all the info they needed, but just didn't act on it... I also can't believe bush is truly president for two freakin terms (what an ass)... it is all so sad

[quote name='Kingjay89']Caring about 9/11 should not be looked at as a political issue. You may not agree with what has traspired after the attacks (im not here to argue), but you should care. All of those people trapped in the buildings and airplanes, and all those brave firefighers and policemen lost their lives, and you want to turn it into "Well I dont care because Bush screwed up". I dont mean to make it a personal attack on you, but people in general who look at 9/11 in that way. You dont have to be depressed or sad all day, but just remember what happened and care[/QUOTE]

Where did I say I didn't care. 9/11 was a horrible failure of our intelligence agencies and executive branch all around, it resulted in uneeded loss of life very close to my home, I care very much.

I was just saying that if you take politics out of it (as you suggest) then the 25,000 people who die of starvation each and every day, the victims of corrupt dictatorships, sweatshops, and completely amoral business cartels; the censored, the opressed, the poor; they deserve at least equal compassion. Yet these people never get 1/1000th as much coverage as the footage of two planes crashing in the buildings.

The OP was asking how much we care about 9/11, I'm just being honest. I figure more can be done to lessen tragedy by thinking globally.

[quote name='camoor']While Pearl Harbor and now 9/11 will live on as days of infamy in the most American's minds, as a history teacher do you also mark the anniversary of incidents such as Wounded Knee (12/29)? As you say:

"Those who forget the past are condemmed to repeat it"[/QUOTE]

Ah, moral relativism. Just because society forgets some events, they should also forget those that you see as being less important. Where did you buy your rose colored glasses?

I have taught my students about as many important events in United States history as I can in 9+ months. Considering they lived through 9/11, their responses and feelings are part of history, and that should be encouraged and welcomed, not scoffed. They can make their own connections between 9/11 and past atrocities. For instance, we have had discussions on the Patriot Act vis-a-vis the response to the Japanese post-Pearl Harbor.

For the record, I teach The Long March, Trail of Tears, Wounded Knee and subsequent Indian Relocation movements and the Dawes Act when we deal with the struggles between the native peoples and the 'new' Americans. In hindsight, were those positive moments in our history? No. Were they unavoidable given the universal belief by the U.S. citizenry that it was our Manifest Destiny to possess everything West of the Mississippi? Yes. We were the technological superior and we took that which we could not negotiate for. Such is the way of the world my friend. Equating the deaths of 300 (as per Wounded Knee) which comes during a period of continuing violence in the area and saved more lives in the end because it ENDED armed conflict in the region with an unprovoked attack (9/11) solely on civilians that claims 9x the lives is pretty ignorant.

OC

[quote name='OrangeCurtain']Ah, moral relativism. Just because society forgets some events, they should also forget those that you see as being less important. Where did you buy your rose colored glasses?

I have taught my students about as many important events in United States history as I can in 9+ months. Considering they lived through 9/11, their responses and feelings are part of history, and that should be encouraged and welcomed, not scoffed. They can make their own connections between 9/11 and past atrocities. For instance, we have had discussions on the Patriot Act vis-a-vis the response to the Japanese post-Pearl Harbor.

For the record, I teach The Long March, Trail of Tears, Wounded Knee and subsequent Indian Relocation movements and the Dawes Act when we deal with the struggles between the native peoples and the 'new' Americans. In hindsight, were those positive moments in our history? No. Were they unavoidable given the universal belief by the U.S. citizenry that it was our Manifest Destiny to possess everything West of the Mississippi? Yes. We were the technological superior and we took that which we could not negotiate for. Such is the way of the world my friend. Equating the deaths of 300 (as per Wounded Knee) which comes during a period of continuing violence in the area and saved more lives in the end because it ENDED armed conflict in the region with an unprovoked attack (9/11) solely on civilians that claims 9x the lives is pretty ignorant.

OC[/QUOTE]

Unprovoked?

[quote name='camoor']Where did I say I didn't care. 9/11 was a horrible failure of our intelligence agencies and executive branch all around, it resulted in uneeded loss of life very close to my home, I care very much.

I was just saying that if you take politics out of it (as you suggest) then the 25,000 people who die of starvation each and every day, the victims of corrupt dictatorships, sweatshops, and completely amoral business cartels; the censored, the opressed, the poor; they deserve at least equal compassion. Yet these people never get 1/1000th as much coverage as the footage of two planes crashing in the buildings.

The OP was asking how much we care about 9/11, I'm just being honest. I figure more can be done to lessen tragedy by thinking globally.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for such a quick follow-up, but are you kidding? Blaming 9/11 on intelligence failures and the executive branch rather than the terrorists that planned the actions is just ridiculous. If you were mugged and beaten, would you blame society for not adequately training the mugger for a better job, or would you blame the guy who took your money and beat the crap out of you?

Thinking globally is wonderful. I wish we would have done ANYTHING to help stabilize much of Africa (Rwanda, Sudan, CAR, etc) over the past dozen years (during both Republican and Democratic administrations). The main difference is those areas did/do not harbor those willing and capable of doing the United States or her allies harm.

OC

[quote name='jmcc']Unprovoked?[/QUOTE]

If you can find any evidence that anyone in the Twin Towers tried to kill anyone on those planes, I will give you a gold star.

That brand of terrorist wants to see every man, woman and child in the United States dead unless we bend to THEIR will. By their rules, we would have to abandon all Middle East interests, including our support of Isreal. At that point, I suppose their focus MIGHT shift away from killing you and me over to their desire for the extermination of the Jews...but maybe we should appease the terrorists the way we attempted to appease Hitler in the '30s. That worked out well for everyone huh?

Once again, "those who forget history are condemmed to repeat it. "

OC

bread's done
Back