It's a good week for music games.

Flea

CAGiversary!
I LOVE Music games, its pretty much my favorite kind of game. And thetre were a TON of music games showed at E3 so far:

Dance Dance Revolution Ultramix 3 (Xbox)
Dance Dance Revolution Extreme 2 (ps2)
Dance Dance Revolution With MARIO (gamecube)
Karaoke Revolution Party (mulitplatform)
Beatmania IIDX (ps2)
Guitar Hero (ps2)
Pump It Up: Exceed (PS2/Xbox)

I can't wait for beatmania!

Harmonix is supposed to be revealing a new music game as well....not sure if its on your list.
I'm supposed to interview the producer on Thursday.

Goddamnit I want another Amplitude/Frequency. Too bad that will pretty much never happen (last I read the developers said they were pretty much abandoning the concept in favor of Karaoke Revolution).

I'm expecting them to bundle Beatmania with a controller, which I will buy at release.

Also, the new KR has a dance and sing mode, which uses DDR steps while you sing.

Everything is looking great!

[quote name='Flea']The new Harmonix game is called "Guitar Hero"[/QUOTE]

Published by Red Octane no less.

I'm hoping for a Guitar Freaks clone, with a decent controller.

Which I will also buy!

I'll need something new to play now that In the groove is probally getting cancelled.

[quote name='Flea']I'll need something new to play now that In the groove is probally getting cancelled.[/QUOTE]

The lawsuit was just about the arcade version, there wasn't supposed to be any change to In the Groove ps2 game, and everyone still has release dates to the best of my knowledge.

Oh. I know it got pushed back recently. I figured It would just keep gettting pushed back. It was suposed to come out today.

[quote name='ElwoodCuse']Goddamnit I want another Amplitude/Frequency. Too bad that will pretty much never happen (last I read the developers said they were pretty much abandoning the concept in favor of Karaoke Revolution).[/QUOTE]

Aww, I wanted a sequel to Amplitude too... :cry:

I'm excited about all the music games too. I especially am happy about Karaoke Party... but I kinda hope they have lazy mode in case you don't want to dance ^^

[quote name='AngellicLulu']I'm excited about all the music games too. I especially am happy about Karaoke Party... but I kinda hope they have lazy mode in case you don't want to dance ^^[/QUOTE]

Hey, another CAG from Tampa!

The Korean Dance game "Pump it up" is coming out for PS2, and XBOX. It's being published by Matcatz.

[quote name='pumbaa']Hey... dont forget Electroplankton and DDR Mario Mix.[/QUOTE]

Mario DDR is on there. Is Electroplankton a music game?

I must know more of this "Guitar Hero" !

Having played some Guitar Freaks...I am TOTALLY into the notion that something similar would be officially released in the states....

dare I say ... \m/ \m/

Hopefully some info if they will release Donkey Konga 3 in the states will be announced too. I prefer the quirky music of the first, I'd like to see more cartoon themes like Teen Titans would be cool and if they went old school with the Super Mario Bros Super Show theme w/ Captain Lou Albano.

Quick question on Pump It Up. I see the arrows are diagonals. So do we just turn our DDR mats a 1/8 turn and play that way, or are we expected to buy new diagonal pads?

[quote name='shipwreck']Quick question on Pump It Up. I see the arrows are diagonals. So do we just turn our DDR mats a 1/8 turn and play that way, or are we expected to buy new diagonal pads?[/QUOTE]

New pad. I've heard that they're only offering it in bundle form, which will retail for $60.

Plus there's a center button, which your DDR pad probably wouldn't have.

[quote name='evilmax17']New pad. I've heard that they're only offering it in bundle form, which will retail for $60.

Plus there's a center button, which your DDR pad probably wouldn't have.[/QUOTE]

That's not what I wanted to hear.

Uh-oh, Beatmania IIDX is coming to the US? The bf is going to go nuts. (And I'm going to go nuts listening to the incessant tapping.)

Edited to add:
[quote name='Flea']Guitar Freaks is HARD.[/QUOTE]
No kidding. I got that game a while ago, and we've unlocked nothing in that game. I can't tell if it's my crappy playing or crappy third party controller or both.

[quote name='AngellicLulu']I'm excited about all the music games too. I especially am happy about Karaoke Party... but I kinda hope they have lazy mode in case you don't want to dance ^^[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it will have a non-dancing option. I just watched a gamespot video, and during some of the gameplay it showed the directional arrows, and during some of it, there were no arrows, so I think lazy people are safe :). What I want to know is, will the eyetoy be used for gameplay functionality (such as touching certain parts of the screen at specific times), or just to put one's image in the game. I am guessing it is the latter, in which case I will probably be getting the Xbox version (assuming the downloadable songs aren't expensive). Does anybody know about the eyetoy incorporation or the Live! content pricing structure (it'd be great if they didn't charge for the extra songs, but that seems unlikely)?

Eh....disappointing, imho. While getting BM IIDX is awesome, all the others are just DDR (or clones there of). Not counting Guitar Hero of course, which already has a strike against it for NOT being Freq 3. I probably wont get Pump it Up either, as I got burned on the PC version (had like 20 songs, and few of the "Game defining" songs.) The soft pad for it rocked though, one of the best pads I've ever used.

[quote name='Flea']I LOVE Music games, its pretty much my favorite kind of game. And thetre were a TON of music games showed at E3 so far:

Dance Dance Revolution Ultramix 3 (Xbox)
Dance Dance Revolution Extreme 2 (ps2)
Dance Dance Revolution With MARIO (gamecube)
[/QUOTE]

I got to play all of those at E3. :)

Yeah, FreQ 3 was never going to happen. Over a year ago, they already said that they have not sold enough of the past games (Frequency & Amplitude) for there to be any consideration of it. And yes, Karaoke Revolution has been good to them.

And for Beatmania, is everyone exactly sure it's going to be a "Beatmania IIDX"? One has 5 keys and IIDX has 7. "IIDX" was never mentioned. Maybe they'll make some exclusive way of playing for the US? I'm a little afraid of the results from this. But either way, I'm excited about this as well.

Pump It Up pads and DDR pads are completely different. I'm not sure, but there may be some pads available with all 9 squares as buttons so you can play both. I know that the new Cobalt Flux pads (www.cobaltflux.com) are made that way. Unfortunately, they are $299.99 each, but the durability & accuracy of them are superior to any other pads out there.

[quote name='TyGeR']Yeah, FreQ 3 was never going to happen. Over a year ago, they already said that they have not sold enough of the past games (Frequency & Amplitude) for there to be any consideration of it. And yes, Karaoke Revolution has been good to them.

And for Beatmania, is everyone exactly sure it's going to be a "Beatmania IIDX"? One has 5 keys and IIDX has 7. "IIDX" was never mentioned. Maybe they'll make some exclusive way of playing for the US? I'm a little afraid of the results from this. But either way, I'm excited about this as well.

Pump It Up pads and DDR pads are completely different. I'm not sure, but there may be some pads available with all 9 squares as buttons so you can play both. I know that the new Cobalt Flux pads (www.cobaltflux.com) are made that way. Unfortunately, they are $299.99 each, but the durability & accuracy of them are superior to any other pads out there.[/QUOTE]

Check the screens at Gamespot, it has both 5 and 7 key.

The upcoming PIU is going to have some fixes to issues from previous versions. Like now you can have different difficulties for each player. PIU is probably the game I'm most excited about (between the 3 DDRs and PIU).

Also, everyone (if you've ever played DDR before) should look towards the Tokyo Game Show. Word is that something big (and something lots of people have wanted) is going down ;)

[quote name='evilmax17']Check the screens at Gamespot, it has both 5 and 7 key.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, those screenshots are straight from Beatmania IIDX 9th Style for the JPS2.

*shrug* Who knows?

Konami is slow as hell at releasing these games. I've had IIDX for a good 4-5 years for PS2 already. DDR is already long dead in Japan and needs to die over here really. I mean Mario DDR mix?! omgwtfbbq? First the disney one and now this. The IIDX demo they had at E3 was crap. The hardest song was toned down as well for the demo. Everything was put on light 7.

It's pretty cheap to import IIDX nowadays. when I first bought the controller it was 99 dolalrs, now u can pick it up anywhere in tokyo for 45. The older mixes u can get for really cheap too and they have up to 9th style.

The only really good bemani left is Drummania which can't really be feasiably emulated onhome consoles. Popn muisc is pretty fun as well and cheap to import aas well. The oficcial konami controllers for popn are only 18 dollars.

I hope they make Freq/amp for psps. otherwise it looks like more crap music games coming.

bread's done
Back