It's getting that time...What's your Game of the Year?

For me its Call of Duty 4. The multiplayer experience is top notch. I haven't touched campaign mode yet!

Second place: Bioshock. Its use of a clever story along with plasmids made it a game I simply couldn't put down. Multiplayer for this game would have been amazing!

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']So, if only 5 people played some game, but if all 5 of them picked it as their GOTY, then its percentage of 100% would tell you that that game is really good - although not necessarily popular.[/QUOTE]
Then my vote goes for Bratz: The Movie for PS2.

w00t! Bratz has 100% positive votes! EVERYONE WHO HAS PLAYED IT (me) LOVES IT!!!!

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']Polls like this are misleading. The winning games are only the most popular games - not necessarily the best. I doubt that anyone here actually played every game listed in the poll (I certainly didn't), so our opinions are quite worthless.[/QUOTE]
It's Game OF the Year, not "Best Game to Release During the Year".

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']So, if only 5 people played some game, but if all 5 of them picked it as their GOTY, then its percentage of 100% would tell you that that game is really good - although not necessarily popular.[/QUOTE]

w00t! Bratz has 100% positive votes! EVERYONE WHO HAS PLAYED IT (me) LOVES IT!!!! It's totally the BIGGEST TITLE OF THE YEAR, because one person played it and liked it it DEFINES VIDEOGAMING IN 2007 it's worthy of ALL ACOLADES AS THE TOP, MOST GROUNDBREAKING, MOST INNOVATIVE TITLE, a title that will go down in history as the MOST IMPORTANT AND SINGLE BIGGEST TITLE IN 2007!

Boy, your method of selecting GotY winners is fucking brilliant. Wish I had thought of it myself.

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']Polls like this are misleading. The winning games are only the most popular games - not necessarily the best. I doubt that anyone here actually played every game listed in the poll (I certainly didn't), so our opinions are quite worthless.[/QUOTE]
It's Game OF the Year, not "Best Game to Release During the Year".

w00t! Bratz has 100% positive votes! EVERYONE WHO HAS PLAYED IT (me) LOVES IT!!!! It's totally the BIGGEST TITLE OF THE YEAR, because one person played it and liked it it DEFINES VIDEOGAMING IN 2007 it's worthy of ALL ACOLADES AS THE TOP, MOST GROUNDBREAKING, MOST INNOVATIVE TITLE, a title that will go down in history as the MOST IMPORTANT AND SINGLE BIGGEST TITLE IN 2007!

Boy, your method of selecting GotY winners is brilliant. Wish I had thought of it myself.

---------------

I'm a bit hesitant about my vote for Super Mario Galaxy. While the game is great, of course, I simply can't help but realize there are other games that are really going to shape video-gaming as we know it greater.

The Orange Box might be foremost on the list, with Ep 1&2 being amazing games that have continued to push forward how an FPS can be emotionally engaging and push forward a story and Portal being the most simultaneously unique, polished, and plain fun game in years. The story, the humor, the gameplay, the production quality. Absolutely amazing, and unrivaled in its field.

Plus, 2007 was definitely the "year of the shooter" (as every year seems to become even more so each year), so giving it to SMG seems fairly odd.

Obviously SMG is such a good game you can't go wrong with it, but if you really take the time to think out what's truly IMPORTANT in a "Game of the Year", what you're giving that honor out for, it's not simply the game that you might be able to give the highest review.

On the other hand, SMG also puts to shame what people have been doing with platformers in the past decade. For all I know it could be more revolutionary than I give it credit to.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Mario Galaxy does NOT have "perfect controls" that dumb stingray race and rolling on the giant marble both could stand to control much better.[/quote]

And here I thought I just had trouble with those two levels. Overall though the game is the best of this gen so far. Across any console.

I thought the Giant Marble controls were perfect. The stingray controls were the only problem I had when it came to controls. But, not enough to say Mario Galaxy isn't game of the year.

These poll results are bonkers... I would expect a close run between Mario Galaxy, Orange Box and Persona 3... the other games are superfluous by contrast.

[quote name='willardhaven']These poll results are bonkers... I would expect a close run between Mario Galaxy, Orange Box and Persona 3... the other games are superfluous by contrast.[/quote]Yes, a 2+ year old first person shooter, packaged with a limited, buggy multiplayer game, and an RPG where you watch the CPU autobattle for you. Those games were gems.

I need to finish Super Mario Galaxy first. It's damn close. Having played about 1/2 way through it, I'd say it's borderline a 9.9 or 10 for me. I gave Bioshock a 9.6, and Orange Box a 9.7, BUT I think Orange Box is disqualified for me, since a bulk of it is Half-Life 2, which was my 2004 GOTY. I think Portal and TF2 are great, but I don't know if those two area enough to keep it the GOTY to me. Bioshock is original and innovative and most importantly thoughtful, but I think I ENJOY Mario Galaxy more.

Oh, and I have Mass Effect and Rock Band coming, but given Rock Band's problems, I think it'd be a stretch. GHIII was far too difficult for me to enjoy fully (especially with the solos). Assassin's Creed is a solid game, but is definitely NOT GOTY material. COD4 is great multiplayer, but I haven't played the SP yet, so I'll hold off judgement for that as well.

So ya, I'd say Bioshock or Galaxy, TBD upon completion of the latter.

Sorry, but most of us own 360's too. Hard to say games that none of us play will win. I just can't force myself to play with those stupid controllers for a single player game. Not a WII hater, just don't have one, lol.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Mario Galaxy does NOT have "perfect controls" that dumb stingray race and rolling on the giant marble both could stand to control much better.[/quote]The stingray is kinda crappy, yes. But the controls on the ball levels is very, very good. Just because you suck at controlling it in its environment it doesn't mean it's bad. ;)

I daresay when people say "perfect controls" they're talking about what 99% of the game is, controlling Mario, which is flawless.

am 21 hours into Mass Effect. I love the game, but Orange Box is still the best of this year. 5 All star games + Portal is a revoluntary puzzle game.

[quote name='PyroGamer']It's Game OF the Year, not "Best Game to Release During the Year".
[/quote]

Now that simply didn't make any sense. Are you on crack?

[quote name='PyroGamer']

Boy, your method of selecting GotY winners is brilliant. Wish I had thought of it myself.
[/quote]

Like, duh. If only you had put some thought to it, maybe, just maybe you might realize how redundant and stupid your response was. Oh well, you've acually posted it so it's too late now.

I had to go for Bioshock. I haven't played Galaxy yet but Bioshock just blew me away. CoD4 and the Orange Box are both really awesome too, but Bioshock had a fantastic story and was just so innovative.

Very close between Bioshock and Orange Box, but Team Fortress 2 multiplayer and custom maps simply cannot be beat. Throw Portal on top of that AND the ability to use the portal gun in the Half-Life 2 games? Instant win.

Bioshock was an amazing single player game and I can't think of any flaws with it except the ending, but it doesn't make me want to play it again and again and again. Plus, theres the whole issue with only being able to install it 5 times and the lame online activation.

Galaxy gets a distant 3rd for me. Another good game, made better by having a second player, but its nothing amazing. Controls were good at best, Mario felt kinda jerky like in Sunshine, and the camera made a lot of the stars and levels more difficult than they should have been. Unlike some others, I loved the stingray and monkey ball controls/levels and wish there were more of that type. Major props to the iceskating controls as well. The game was waaaaaay too easy, and even the "extra" stars provided very little challenge. Boss fights, while entertaining, were very simple and short. Everything looked great, but still failed to wow me like the other two games.

So we have 2 great games and 1 outstanding compilation.

The Orange Box for game of the year.

I vote for Portal. Most innovative and most fun game this year.

I wish the next game by Valve uses the Portal gun to create an even better platformer/puzzle/FPS game

EDIT: I just imagined if Mario Galaxy had a portal gun in Mario Galaxy like Mario had the water gun in Sunshine. How great would that be?

To me its hands no Orange Box for the 360.... What a great package they put together with Orange Box... Portal was one of the most fun things I have ever played... SMG is probably a close 2nd though

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']It's interesting to note than SMG received nearly 20x the votes of Assassin's Creed.[/quote]

Why is this interesting?

Im not being a smart a--. I didn't read the whole thread so am wondering if I missed discussion earlier that this pertains to.

I think Galaxy should win, but why isn't Halo 3 even considered on the poll? Does everyone hate it or something? Me and many other people are still playing it, online and at LAN's. Same with Metroid Prime 3. I dunno.

Man, it will probaby been nearly 2009 by the time I get to all the great games that came out lately.

Out of what I have played thus far, I'd probably rank them (with really no seperation among these as they all blew me away):

Mario Galaxy
Bioshock
Halo 3
Metroid Prime 3

Still definitely need to get to Mass Effect and Orange Box (already own the latter), maybe Call of Duty 4, and possibly Guitary Hero 3 and/or Rock Band.

Assassins Creed!

If it wasn't so repitious! Damnit. It had the possibility to be GOTY! Why did it not succeed!? Still a great game though.
So, i'm gonna have to go with:

Uncharted.

But, I have yet to play Super Mario Galaxy, or finish Bioshock.

Haven't played SMG, so can't say there but it looks very SOS, my Wii playtime is usually not my first option and my solitary gaming takes place elsewhere.

Halo is great fun but a lot of SOS here.

However, I thought Bioshock was brilliant in terms of game-play, art style, audio, voice acting, storyline, cultural references and resolution. The learning curve was steady and not too demanding, and everthing evolved intuitively.

It is the best game I have played in years . . . hell I think it was the best all around single-player experience I have ever had on a console.

Bioshock gets my vote.

Wow, I'm such a loser. I haven't played any of the games in the poll. I have played the demos for Bioshock, Orange Box: Episode 2, and GHIII though. :cry:

I've only played about half the games in this list, which I havent played Mario Galaxy (lack of Wii-wii will do that..)

Bioshock was a totally different twist on FPSs. The storyline was just so far off the wall. Game play was deep and intriguing. Found myself wanting to get home and play it, which I hadnt felt that way about a game in a long long time. Game was simply amazing.

Super Mario Galaxy.

In fairness, I haven't played any of the 360 or PS3 candidates, as I do not own those systems. But I'd like to. Anyone want to send me one so I can, uh, cast an unbiased vote?

;)

Mass Effect, this game satisfied me more than any other game this year. More than assassin's creed. halo 3, and definitely more than bioshock. That's my pick.

Bioshock, but honestly, if you could play band world tour in Rock Band by yourself (without having to play 2 instruments at once; I can't sing for shit), I would likely have voted Rock Band. I know they want you to play it multiplayer, but not everyone has friends that are as big of losers as they are and will happily play the same songs over and over again. If BWT were single player, RB would instantly become one of my favorite games of all time. Here's hoping (most likely in vain) for an update/patch. Not to mention I would buy every single piece of original DLC for it.

As much as I love Bioware RPG"s and WANTED Mass Effect to be my GOTY, I'm going to have to go with the Orange Box. Three extremely high quality and mostly BRAND NEW products for the price of one (yes I count HL2 and its expansions as one product). Outstanding and something you rarely if EVER see.

Bioshock for sure. Most innovative, compelling, fun game of the year. I'm surprised Halo 3 wasn't on that list ... or did I miss it?

I wanted Mass Effect to be game of the year, but I think it stumbled a bit due to gameplay issues (framerate, suspect combat, difficulty).

I thought about this all weekend and I'm going with Call of Duty 4. So many memorable sequences, decent story, great multiplayer. Halo 3 deserves at least a mention.

It's hard to pick because there have been so many good games this year, but:

1. The Orange Box- My first experience with Half Life 2, and I got blown away by it. Oh, and Portal is fucking amazing.

2. Halo 3- I HATED H2, but Halo 3 feels...right. The campaign was great, and the multiplayer feels great.

3. Forza Motorsport 2- I played the hell out of this game when I got it, and I still do on occasion when I feel the itch to race.

Though not represented, I'd have to go with God of War 2. Sure it was more of the same, but goddamn if it wasn't perfect for what it was trying to do. I haven't had that much fun with a game in a long time.

This was hard for me. Tons of good games this year. As for what is listed...

I put Bioshock.

Though Mass Effect and Mario Galaxy were right behind it.

If I had a 4th choice I would put either God of War 2 (Not Listed) or Orange Box.

bread's done
Back