It's such a shame...

warmsignal

CAGiversary!
I've been thinking recently it's really a shame, alls those people out there who trade their games into GameStop. It's common knowledge around here that one could get much more out of just about any given title if they sold it themselves or Ebayed it rather than trading it in to GS.

It's pathetic how little GS will give you for your used games... yet, here we all are busting our asses trying to find what we consider "good deals" on used games, even if we're paying double what GS does for them.

Obviously there are a lot of people out there who just don't care if they're getting next to nothing for their trade ins, as long as it's adding up as a chunk of the change they'll need towards buying something new, and that's whole idea. I realize that's the mindset of many in this community as well (the GS Trade-in thread is evidence of this). Personally, it makes me ill. I'm the collector type myself so trading in is something I don't do, but that aside, I'm still very conscious about being gypped; something I think any true cheap ass is weary of. How could you call yourself a cheap ass if you let go of your stuff for nothing?

I wish I could take advantage of these people the way GS does... I'd like to stop them at the door and say "Hey, I'll buy those off of you for exactly what GS will." I would be hitting the jackpot of video game deals. I'd be scoring Fatal Frame II for $4.00 and brand new titles going for $54.99 for only $30!

Why, oh why people? Why not sell them to someone else for those prices if you going to accept what GS gives you? Why do the greedy corporations get the best deals, while also having the power of dictating the used market prices? *sigh*

I think its a damn shame that not a day goes by that someone doesnt piss whine bitch and moan about gamestop.

So post on craigslist that you will give cash for games and I am sure you will get a few people that are interested.

There are many times where you can get more from Gamestop than anywhere else. I traded in a disc only copy of Mass Effect 2 for $47 at gamestop about 3 weeks ago. There is no way I would have got that much from anywhere else (I checked, there wasnt).

So to just assume that you can always get a better deal is ignorant.

[quote name='Spyder187']I think its a damn shame that not a day goes by that someone doesnt piss whine bitch and moan about gamestop.[/QUOTE]

Why do you think that is? Because it ShaqFuing sucks.

[quote name='leftwing1018']There are many times where you can get more from Gamestop than anywhere else. I traded in a disc only copy of Mass Effect 2 for $47 at gamestop about 3 weeks ago. There is no way I would have got that much from anywhere else (I checked, there wasnt).

So to just assume that you can always get a better deal is ignorant.[/QUOTE]

Did you trade it back in on the launch day?! As it stands now, you'd get $25.00 for it. I'd gladly pick it up right now for $25 instead of their used price of $49.99. Also, I must ask, how did you loose the case and manual so quick!?

[quote name='Spyder187']I think its a damn shame that not a day goes by that someone doesnt piss whine bitch and moan about gamestop.[/QUOTE]

Yeah... it would be nice if we didn't have to see a "GS sucks because..." thread everyday but that's probably not going to happen.

[quote name='Lorddraco07']You forget gamestop is running the 50% extra trade on all games right now then edge.[/QUOTE]

Okay, in the case of this limited time offer, you'd get $37 for Mass Effect 2, rather than $25... or is that 50% included in the current values chart? Not sure, but for the sake of your argument, lets say it isn't. $37 is still a great price compared to $50! And what does Edge have to do with trade-ins again? As far as I know, it's a 10% off buying used games. You have that regardless of what you trade in, as long as you have an edge card. I insist, sell your ME2 to me for $37, and go save $5 on any $50 used title of your choice.

[quote name='Vinny']Yeah... it would be nice if we didn't have to see a "GS sucks because..." thread everyday but that's probably not going to happen.[/QUOTE]

We all know it sucks. I realize that. I'm just curious if anyone else has pondered the idea of standing outside a GS and attempting to steal their highway robbery style business...

Besides, no one made you click on this thread... no one makes you participate in any of them. Looks like you're just moaning about people moaning...

[quote name='SEH']Newsflash...you aren't being forced to trade games into Gamestop.[/QUOTE]

Newsflash... that's not at all what I implied. Did you even read? I'm asking why people choose to do so, when they could get more elsewhere in most cases... why not sell the games to others for an equal price as the GS trade in values... don't cut the rich a deal, cut a fellow gamer a deal!

[quote name='warmsignal']We all know it sucks. I realize that. I'm just curious if anyone else has pondered the idea of standing outside a GS and attempting to steal their highway robbery style business...

Besides, no one made you click on this thread... no one makes you participate in any of them. Looks like you're just moaning about people moaning...[/QUOTE]

With such a vague title like "It's such a shame", I doubt many people knew what the thread was about when they clicked it.

[quote name='warmsignal']Newsflash... that's not at all what I implied. Did you even read? I'm asking why people choose to do so, when they could get more elsewhere in most cases... why not sell the games to others for an equal price as the GS trade in values...[/QUOTE]

You pissed and moaned about people being dumb enough to trade games into GS when they could sell them on Ebay, as if they're all being forced into trading exclusively with GS. If people want to give them their business, what does it matter to you?

[quote name='warmsignal']
Did you trade it back in on the launch day?! As it stands now, you'd get $25.00 for it. I'd gladly pick it up right now for $25 instead of their used price of $49.99. Also, I must ask, how did you loose the case and manual so quick!?[/QUOTE]

No, it was several weeks later. The reason the trade in value was so high is I chose to trade it in during a specific promotion. Taking advantage of their promotions is key.

Its really not the point of only trading in for so little its the point that they only want 5 or 2 less for the used game. Then they look at you and dont understand why you dont want to buy the 2dollar used copy to save money. Okay only give 4 for fatal frame 2 but in return only ask like 8 or max 10 not 30.Its very obvious they make the money on used games. I will always only buy SEALED games at gamestop. No displays(new).Thats another thing how is the game new when everybody has been fingering it and its been on display for months/years.ONe game litteraly had tears/holes on the cover and still thats a (new) copy. Thats garbage.

[quote name='SEH']You pissed and moaned about people being dumb enough to trade games into GS when they could sell them on Ebay, as if they're all being forced into trading exclusively with GS. If people want to give them their business, what does it matter to you?[/QUOTE]

I never said they're "forced", I'm saying they don't care. They simply don't care, and they'll take whatever GS gives them for the games.

Why does it matter to me? I think a lot of us would love to get in on those insane deals that GS as a company gets when they buy a used game from an individual. You'll let Bayonetta go for $18? $18 is $18, hit me up next time you want cash towards another game, not GS.

After eBay and Paypal fees it's not really worth using eBay unless you're expecting to get quite a bit for it. And I've tried to sell some games on here and other sites only to list them for weeks with no interest. GameStop will give me credit for the games as soon as I bring them in.

[quote name='nddave']Its really not the point of only trading in for so little its the point that they only want 5 or 2 less for the used game. Then they look at you and dont understand why you dont want to buy the 2dollar used copy to save money. Okay only give 4 for fatal frame 2 but in return only ask like 8 or max 10 not 30.Its very obvious they make the money on used games. I will always only buy SEALED games at gamestop. No displays(new).Thats another thing how is the game new when everybody has been fingering it and its been on display for months/years.ONe game litteraly had tears/holes on the cover and still thats a (new) copy. Thats garbage.[/QUOTE]

Well yeah, when it comes to a brand new titles... They'll give you $30 for FF XIII but they're selling it for $55 in store, an 80% mark-up.

...and of course I could moan about how most of the time they don't have the decency to keep "new" copies sealed, but I think that common knowledge as well.

I think people forgot how we used to do it back in the day, we rented games. Nowadays people treat GS like it's some sort of cheap alternative to that. $7 can rent you a game for about 5 or 6 days, $14 for two weeks could easily allow you to beat it. For those who trade their games in as fast as they beat them, you'd do a lot better that way.

...I knew I shouldn't have looked into this thread.

As for the OP's claim "well, no one made you click on this thread," we probably all did so thinking maybe you had a question or concern or anything useful. Honestly, did you think you were the first person to realize GS gives low base TIVs? Really?

[quote name='warmsignal']Well yeah, when it comes to a brand new titles... They'll give you $30 for FF XIII but they're selling it for $55 in store, an 80% mark-up.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but the problem is that you're operating under a number of assumptions. One, you're assuming that the person traded the game in without any promos attached. With the current promo, they could get $45 ($48 with an EDGE card). Two, you're assuming that the person who eventually buys that game is going to do so without any promo attached. The EDGE card brings it down to about $50. Three, you're assuming that GS will actually sell the game at that price. Not every game that they put up on the shelves at $55 sells. They often sit there through a price drop.

At the end of the day, everyone who visits this site realizes GS makes a big profit on used games. That's their business. But there are times, like now, when trading into GS can be good. $45 for a new game is not that bad at all, considering you'd get like $55 or less on eBay, and after fees, you'd probably end up with around the same as you'd get from GS.

[quote name='rainking187']After eBay and Paypal fees it's not really worth using eBay unless you're expecting to get quite a bit for it. And I've tried to sell some games on here and other sites only to list them for weeks with no interest. GameStop will give me credit for the games as soon as I bring them in.[/QUOTE]

Well, like I said. Are you willing to let the games go for what GS will give you, or are you marking them up to match what GS is selling them for?

I'd give you what GS would give for some titles I don't have in a heart beat, and I know a lot of others here would too.

[quote name='leftwing1018']There are many times where you can get more from Gamestop than anywhere else. I traded in a disc only copy of Mass Effect 2 for $47 at gamestop about 3 weeks ago. There is no way I would have got that much from anywhere else (I checked, there wasnt).

So to just assume that you can always get a better deal is ignorant.[/QUOTE]

I got $56 for my ME2 when the promotion first started since I knew they were going to drop the value of games like mad with the trade in promo begins. Definitely made out on that deal and way more than anything I can get elsewhere.

[quote name='warmsignal']Well, like I said. Are you willing to let the games go for what GS will give you, or are you marking them up to match what GS is selling them for?

I'd give you what GS would give for some titles I don't have in a heart beat, and I know a lot of others here would too.[/QUOTE]

WE GET IT.

Go stand outside GS and haggle with their customers. As long as it gets you out of here.

Jesus.

[quote name='rainking187']After eBay and Paypal fees it's not really worth using eBay unless you're expecting to get quite a bit for it. And I've tried to sell some games on here and other sites only to list them for weeks with no interest. GameStop will give me credit for the games as soon as I bring them in.[/QUOTE]

And this is why I trade into gamestop. Not everything but certain games and during certain promos. I usually trade more to Amazon since they give a bit more without promos and I can use that money on anything. I do trade on CAG, but it's sometimes a hassle to deal with and it's generally only good for newer releases.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']...I knew I shouldn't have looked into this thread.

As for the OP's claim "well, no one made you click on this thread," we probably all did so thinking maybe you had a question or concern or anything useful. Honestly, did you think you were the first person to realize GS gives low base TIVs? Really?[/QUOTE]

No, not at all... But perhaps one of the few who often wonders why so many would rather cut a deal to corporate than to fellow CAGs.

Sorry, but the problem is that you're operating under a number of assumptions. One, you're assuming that the person traded the game in without any promos attached. With the current promo, they could get $45 ($48 with an EDGE card). Two, you're assuming that the person who eventually buys that game is going to do so without any promo attached. The EDGE card brings it down to about $50. Three, you're assuming that GS will actually sell the game at that price. Not every game that they put up on the shelves at $55 sells. They often sit there through a price drop.

At the end of the day, everyone who visits this site realizes GS makes a big profit on used games. That's their business. But there are times, like now, when trading into GS can be good. $45 for a new game is not that bad at all, considering you'd get like $55 or less on eBay, and after fees, you'd probably end up with around the same as you'd get from GS.

I'll give that the current promotion almost makes it seem fair... a promotion... makes it seem fair. Without it, no way. Most of the time I see people bring in a stack full of games for credit towards something new, that's how it normally goes, their business model depends on those people.

Again, my point is not to point out to fellow CAGs that GS is raping and pillaging, I would assume most of us know that. But for those who simply don't care, I want your used stuff!

[quote name='warmsignal']Well, like I said. Are you willing to let the games go for what GS will give you, or are you marking them up to match what GS is selling them for?

I'd give you what GS would give for some titles I don't have in a heart beat, and I know a lot of others here would too.[/QUOTE]

Well I tend to sell them for more then GameStop gives, I'm not going to eat paypal fees and the shipping costs when I could just sell them to GS. I do shop a lot at GameStop, so honestly I guess I don't see much point in listing the games here and waiting for someone to PM me and then actually follow through and send me the money, when I could take a 20 minute walk to GameStop and get the same amount.

[quote name='SEH']WE GET IT.

Go stand outside GS and haggle with their customers. As long as it gets you out of here.

Jesus.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, for a while there you weren't following me.

I'm not Jesus, btw.

I've had shit listed here for very little, yet still had people lowball me less than GameStop gives. Why the fuck would I not trade shit in when trying to sell stuff online anymore is miserable?

Sometimes people just want a new game...and don't want an old game. The internet is fine and all but it does take a lot of effort and time. I work 40+ hours a week and only get maybe a day or two to play games for more than an hour.

GS often doesn't give the best prices but I also don't have to deal with people sending me spam, asking questions, fees, waiting for someone to pay me, posting etc. Selling things online does take a lot more time and energy than most people account for.

Sure I am may get an extra 10 bucks for a game but I either have to meet someone in a parking lot and wait a day or two after sending emails to each other for a couple of days.

[quote name='warmsignal']Newsflash... that's not at all what I implied. Did you even read? I'm asking why people choose to do so, when they could get more elsewhere in most cases... why not sell the games to others for an equal price as the GS trade in values... don't cut the rich a deal, cut a fellow gamer a deal![/QUOTE]

Why do people go the gamestop route instead of ebay and craigslist and the like? The answer is simple.

1. With ebay you need to put in effort. You need to pay fees to list (which will cut into your profit), wait and hope someone bids on your games, hope the person pays and isn't gonna scam you with paypal, box it up and go to the post office and ship it out. Hope you don't get negative feedback. Same situation with amazon as well.

2. Craigslist is CRAPlist. If you've used it as much as I have you probably already know how much bullshit you have to go through to sell stuff. People emailing you saying they want your stuff, promising to buy it, and after you reply you never hear from them again, waiting around for losers who never show up, lowballers expecting you to drop the price 90% when you are already giving them a great deal and other assorted nutjobs.

goes for pawn shops as well.

With gamestop you walk in, cash in and be on your way. You pay for convenience. Invest in an edge card. Save your games until they do the 2/3/4/7 50% extra promo deals. That's how all pawn shops and stores like gamestop are. You will never get ebay prices because businesses have to make a profit to keep their doors open. Now I agree that gamestop doesn't pay dirt shit for some games but again, the point is you get the convenience and simplicity factor. They aren't holding a gun to your head. Sell on ebay and amazon if you want to make a premium. Look for suckers on craigslist. Gamestop has a smart business model set up for themselves but everytime they give out cash instead of store credit they are losing money and that's why they payout less in cash. With store credit the customer can only spend the payout at their store so they are just getting back the money they gave you. Used games are their biggest source for profit.

Look up the basics of running a pawning business or any business in general.

You assume people bought their games at full price. You say that as CAGs we should get more for our trade-ins, but it works the other way as well...a lot of us didn't pay MSRP for a lot of what we buy.

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']Why do people go the gamestop route instead of ebay and craigslist and the like? The answer is simple.

1. With ebay you need to put in effort. You need to pay fees to list (which will cut into your profit), wait and hope someone bids on your games, hope the person pays and isn't gonna scam you with paypal, box it up and go to the post office and ship it out. Hope you don't get negative feedback. Same situation with amazon as well.

2. Craigslist is CRAPlist. If you've used it as much as I have you probably already know how much bullshit you have to go through to sell stuff. People emailing you saying they want your stuff, promising to buy it, and after you reply you never hear from them again, waiting around for losers who never show up, lowballers expecting you to drop the price 90% when you are already giving them a great deal and other assorted nutjobs.

goes for pawn shops as well.

With gamestop you walk in, cash in and be on your way. You pay for convenience. Invest in an edge card. Save your games until they do the 2/3/4/7 50% extra promo deals. That's how all pawn shops and stores like gamestop are. You will never get ebay prices because businesses have to make a profit to keep their doors open. Now I agree that gamestop doesn't pay dirt shit for some games but again, the point is you get the convenience and simplicity factor. They aren't holding a gun to your head. Sell on ebay and amazon if you want to make a premium. Look for suckers on craigslist. Gamestop has a smart business model set up for themselves but everytime they give out cash instead of store credit they are losing money and that's why they payout less in cash. With store credit the customer can only spend the payout at their store so they are just getting back the money they gave you. Used games are their biggest source for profit[/QUOTE]

I say any truly good deal on something, be it Ebay, Amazon, Craigslist etc, is going to attract serious buyers and is not going to last long. You simply cannot find deals as good as the trade-in values are for GS, and nobody online wants to pay what they could go to GS and pay for something.

I would recommend gamegavel.com for sellers and buyers as an alternative to GS. Just like Ebay with feedback system and all, except for games only, no listing fees, and any payment method you work out is permitted.

If stopping by the post office or meeting someone on your trip out to GS is too much trouble, well, I really don't know what to say to that. But my whole point is, if you're going to let go of your stuff for what GS will give you, you can count on me as someone who will buy it. I'll even meet you outside of your most convenient GS location.

[quote name='Dendaman']You assume people bought their games at full price. You say that as CAGs we should get more for our trade-ins, but it works the other way as well...a lot of us didn't pay MSRP for a lot of what we buy.[/QUOTE]

Well, there are people who always bite the bullet, how do you think those first used copies get there so quick?

[quote name='ninja dog']I hear they open new games and don't sell them as used after doing this...is that true?[/QUOTE]

They open new games, take them home at night and play them, bring them back and cram them into cd sleeves etc... good as new.

[quote name='warmsignal']They open new games, take them home at night and play them, bring them back and cram them into cd sleeves etc... good as new.[/QUOTE]

hooooolllllyyyy fuuuucccccckkkk OMG THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!!

[quote name='donut']I like bunnies, they are soft...:booty:[/QUOTE]

What is it with Heavy Rain fans and their tendency to try derailing a thread they don't like into oblivion?

Personally I love Gamestop.com. A new game seems to be listed for $49.99 now instead of $54.99 so I will use it as example.

Darksiders $49.99

- cag16 and Edge card with free shipping code equals

Darksiders $36.99 Shipped

The other day I bought Dante's Inferno for $30.00 from a local game store, then traded it to Gamestop for $45.00. Then I came home and bought Brutal Legend and Bioshock 2 for a total of $50.30 shipped.

$50.30
-$45.00 Credit
+$30.00 Initial purchase
--------------------
I paid a total of $35.30 for Bioshock 2 and Brutal Legend.

Gamestop works both ways. You just need to know how to use the system. I will agree that trading in older titles is kinda dumb most of the time. Why trade Saints Row 2 for 5 bucks when you can ebay it for 12?

let us see. I bought tekken 6 for $20. I then got $25.60 for trading it in to gamestop. now im no mathmatical genius, but im pretty sure i made a profit.

plus, i cant hate gamestop because they were able to sell me this:

106_4201.jpg

[quote name='warmsignal']I never said they're "forced", I'm saying they don't care. They simply don't care, and they'll take whatever GS gives them for the games.

Why does it matter to me? I think a lot of us would love to get in on those insane deals that GS as a company gets when they buy a used game from an individual. You'll let Bayonetta go for $18? $18 is $18, hit me up next time you want cash towards another game, not GS.[/QUOTE]

It matters to you cause you're posting about it. Why is it that all a lot CAGs in training complain about GS?

I could buy gas for 10 cents cheaper a gallon if I want to drive an extra 10 miles, but fuck that. It's about convenience. you take the hit to your wallet so you don't have to deal with the hassle of ebay/craigslist/amazon.

[quote name='warmsignal']I'd give you what GS would give for some titles I don't have in a heart beat, and I know a lot of others here would too.[/QUOTE]

There's the issue. People want to be able to get rid of the games at their convenience. Their choices are:
1. some random collector who doesn't want their copy of monkey king and dora, but does want new super mario bros and metroid prime trilogy
2. ebay, but most of them don't have selling feedback, so they wouldn't get much out of the games
3. gamestop, which will take their games and give them credit towards new ones. they can even save a few bucks by buying a used copy. plus, if they don't like the used game they buy, they can return it within a week.

Most people are going to go with gamestop just for the convenience reason alone. I recommend to friends who have kids that like to play games that they should buy games used at gamestop, just because so many games suck, it's hard to tell what your kid will like before playing it.

[quote name='warmsignal']Okay, in the case of this limited time offer, you'd get $37 for Mass Effect 2, rather than $25... or is that 50% included in the current values chart? Not sure, but for the sake of your argument, lets say it isn't. $37 is still a great price compared to $50! And what does Edge have to do with trade-ins again? As far as I know, it's a 10% off buying used games. You have that regardless of what you trade in, as long as you have an edge card. I insist, sell your ME2 to me for $37, and go save $5 on any $50 used title of your choice.[/QUOTE]

The Edge card gives 10% to trade in value also and stacks with every promo they run. While I do agree that walking in on any given day to trade in games will piss most people off, waiting for for some of the promos usually gets you some of the best prices anywhere outside of selling to friends/ebay. The current 50% deal going on now is pretty sweet for people with lots of low value games sitting around.

Depending on where you live, too, you won't have to pay sales tax when buying games with trade-in credit. Or, if there's a difference in price between what you trade and what you buy, you only pay tax on the difference.

I wanted to buy a PSP Go. I was able to trade in my PSP slim and a few games for about $210 in credit toward the $250 purchase price. Instead of paying $25 in sales tax thanks to Crook County, Illinois' 10% tariff, I only paid $4 in tax on the $40 price difference between the two.

The OP seems to be falling victim to the same faulty logic that many anti-GS posters have fallen victim to over the years. Fine, on the surface $37 after the promo for Mass Effect 2 might not seem great, especially considering it's just GS credit and not actual money. But the $37 is what you get. End of story. There are no fees. There is no shipping. And you get it right there and then. You don't have to do anything else than go to GS.

And to say that you'll give $37 for the game is silly. If you give me $37 for it, I lose a couple of bucks in PayPal fees. Then, I lose a few more bucks after I buy a mailer and ship it out. Plus, for all I know, you're a scammer, and you're going to file a dispute against. Or the package could potentially get lost in the mail. None of this applies when trading into GS.

bread's done
Back