I've been hacked

rvdrock

CAGiversary!
Damnit man, can't believe this shit, I'm sitting here on CAG in fucking safe mode. Basically I turn on my computer, it boots up then a countdown pops up and it shuts off. You know where I got the virus? Yahoo fucking messenger....nice BS...sorry just pissed off! Any ideas to get my shit running proper besides formatting the bitch?

[quote name='rvdrock']Damnit man, can't believe this shit, I'm sitting here on CAG in fucking safe mode. Basically I turn on my computer, it boots up then a countdown pops up and it shuts off. You know where I got the virus? Yahoo fucking messenger....nice BS...sorry just pissed off! Any ideas to get my shit running proper besides formatting the bitch?[/QUOTE]

Hiren's Boot CD.

Lot's of useful utilities. Hopefully you can dl it from somewhere like 9down dot com and burn it to a cd where you'd load it up and run one of the antivirus tools it has. good luck. your best bet is to do that on a working pc.

Step 1: Print out these instructions.

Step 2: GET THE fuck OFF THE INTERNET.

Surfing in Safe Mode leaves all kinds of shit open. If you don't get off, you are leaving yourself even more open to good ol' fashioned assrapage.

Step 3: Try that Hiren's Boot CD. I haven't used it myself, but it seems like a good idea.

Step 4: Download the following programs:

AVG Free Edition (www.grisoft.com)
Spybot Search+Destroy (www.safernetworking.com)

Install in safe mode, wipe what you can.

Step 5: If that doesn't work, you may have to reformat.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR WHEN COMPUTER IS WORKING:

Step 1: Install AVG Free Edition/ Spybot S+D/ firewall.

You NEED a firewall. I prefer Sygate Personal Firewall, but they got bought out a few years back. Try Zone Alarm (unsure of website).

Step 2: Run Windows Update.

Not installing Windows Updates is the absolute quickest way to take your computer to "Please Thrust Cyberviruses In My Anus" land. This is honestly a good 90% of all computer problems, people don't update and get hit with some lowlevel thing floating around.

Step 3: Install the Updates.

Step 4: Do Step 2 and 3 until there is NOTHING left to do.

Step 5: Run your AVG/Spybot/Windows Update AT LEAST weekly.

This is vital to having a computer that will remain secure.

[quote name='Logain8955']Step 1: Print out these instructions.

Step 2: GET THE fuck OFF THE INTERNET.

Surfing in Safe Mode leaves all kinds of shit open. If you don't get off, you are leaving yourself even more open to good ol' fashioned assrapage.

Step 3: Try that Hiren's Boot CD. I haven't used it myself, but it seems like a good idea.

Step 4: Download the following programs:

AVG Free Edition (www.grisoft.com)
Spybot Search+Destroy (www.safernetworking.com)

Install in safe mode, wipe what you can.

Step 5: If that doesn't work, you may have to reformat.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR WHEN COMPUTER IS WORKING:

Step 1: Install AVG Free Edition/ Spybot S+D/ firewall.

You NEED a firewall. I prefer Sygate Personal Firewall, but they got bought out a few years back. Try Zone Alarm (unsure of website).

Step 2: Run Windows Update.

Not installing Windows Updates is the absolute quickest way to take your computer to "Please Thrust Cyberviruses In My Anus" land. This is honestly a good 90% of all computer problems, people don't update and get hit with some lowlevel thing floating around.

Step 3: Install the Updates.

Step 4: Do Step 2 and 3 until there is NOTHING left to do.

Step 5: Run your AVG/Spybot/Windows Update AT LEAST weekly.

Step 6: Find a sheet of aluminum foil and fold into a hat appropriate for your head size.

This is vital to having a computer that will remain secure.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but I think that the most important thing above all else is to not be dumb when online. Know where you're going to when you click a link.

That little bit serves two purposes. First, it prevents you from being goatse'ed. Second then you know that where you're going won't give you a virus.

Aside from that yeah protection is nice if you're a baby, but really I've been running different computers of mine without anything for about 2.5 years now. I just think that if you're fairly smart about what you do online then you don't have to deal with things like unblocking programs.

Sorry for the rant and good luck with it. I'd go down the bootable CD route :)

P.S. Logain8955 This is nothing at all against you. I would have said this to whom ever said anything close to what you said. I'm just not that security guy :p

Honestly, once someone gets malicious software on your machine all bets are off. You can try to patch that shit back together but the only way to be absolutely sure youcleaned everything is to backup your data and do a format/reinstall.

I'd suggest listening to the Security Now! podcast.

I formatted that bitch, I had Hiren's and it found things, but I still could not get my computer to work right...

bread's done
Back