Iwata Talks Turkey

trq

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
From IGN (http://wii.ign.com/articles/870/870953p1.html), which in turn got it from a Q&A session with Iwata at Nintendo's annual "fiscal recap." (http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/080425qa/index.html)

Translated highlights include:

Q: Wii/DS price cuts?
A: Not gonna happen.

Q: Wii storage options?
A: We know we need to do something about that.

Q: Upcoming Wii games?
A: We don't show off games until we're good and ready, but there's stuff we'll have for later in the year. So ... the usual.

Q: Upcoming third-party Wii games?
A: You'll finally start to see the payoff from all these d-bags who took a zillion years to get behind the platform.

Q: The rumored Microsoft motion-sensitive controller?
A: If we can't get reliable results with these things, they're sure as hell not going to. Next question.

Q: Mii usage?
A: We don't grant the Mii license to games we secretly know are crap, so you know how pretty much no third-party games have had Mii support? Yeah.

In conjunction with the company's fiscal recap, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata held a lengthy Q&A session in order to touch on a number of subjects asked by media and investors. Topics ranged from the lifespan of systems Wii and DS to price cuts, future software support, third-party contributions, and even developer rules and regulations of using Mii avatars in their games. We've compiled some of the more informative comments below.

Since their respective release dates, both PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 have seen significant price reductions. Wii, however, has not seen any decrease in cost and there isn't likely to be one any time soon, according to Iwata. "… we are not foreseeing the necessity for us to do a price cut in this fiscal year. If it is predetermined that the hardware price shall gradually decrease, then that model reiterates the notion that early purchasers will suffer a loss, which I do not believe is the right business model," he said. "I believe that something must be wrong if we conduct our business with the premise that we will need to cut prices of our hardware as time goes on."

On a related note, Iwata offered a tidbit sure to excite Wii owners who have already run out of system storage space. "Statistically speaking, it is true that there are a small number of customers who feel that the flash memory is too small, while many others find that they have plenty of memory," he said. "However, because this small number of people are none other than the most avid players, we know we have to review the best possible solution to eliminate their inconvenience."

Changing topics, Iwata also fielded questions about the recently launched WiiWare service in Japan. He called current software sales "relatively good" and also noted that that while he feels digital distribution's future is uncertain, it is something Nintendo needs to prepare for. At the same time, he stated that downloadable software should not signal the end of traditionally sold retail games. "I do not believe that today's packaged software business will simply be replaced by electronic distribution business all together," he said. The packaged software business has its own up side, as does the electronic distribution business. We would like to establish a business model in which both can prosper."

Nintendo is notoriously secret about its titles, choosing to unveil them relatively late in the development cycle. When quizzed on the subject, Iwata used his own experience to explain this approach, saying that when he is exposed to software too early, he becomes bored with it. He added that this is one of the reasons why Nintendo remains hush-hush about its products. At the same time, he reassured Wii owners that there are plenty of titles underway for the third and fourth quarter, as well as into next year. "Rest assured that we are preparing for a variety of products for the latter half of this year and early next year," he said. "Also, you will begin to see the many results of our third party partners, who have since recognized that Wii will be a platform for their success."

Iwata reiterated his belief that traditional system life cycles may not necessarily hold true for new systems, particularly Wii and DS, since they are so different and cater to different audiences. He also drew parallels to the original Game Boy, which was, prior to the release of the Pokemon franchise, said to be at the end of its life cycle by critics. "We should not conclude that the Japanese sales of DS have peaked. In our business, one single software can change the entire picture completely," Iwata said. "For example, there was a time when people thought the Game Boy platform was virtually over. However, a software called Pokémon single handedly changed the situation and expanded the platform's lifespan by several years. Just as we were able to do so with Nintendogs and Brain Training, if we are able to provide customers with an unexpected product, the situation can drastically change."

Quizzed about the rumor that Microsoft is developing a Wii remote-like controller for Xbox 360, Iwata said that Nintendo could not really speculate about such a possibility without knowing much more. "I am also aware of the rumor and have seen a fake image made by a fan on the web which looks like a Wii Remote with the rumor that such a controller may be launched, However there is no way for us to comment on such speculations," he said. "All I can say today is, it is not that easy to develop software which leverages the characteristics of Wii Remote. We are not concerned about what other companies may do but rather more concerned with presenting them with new ideas to our customers based on the prospect that our existing customers will surely get tired of the plays enabled by Wii Remote if we do not try to improve the experience."

Finally, while some third-parties have featured Mii avatars in their games, others have complained that Nintendo would not allow them access to Mii integration. Iwata clarified Nintendo's approach to the licensing of Mii characters to third-parties. "Mr. Miyamoto, the inventor of Mii himself, has been saying that, 'In a sense, licensing Mii is same as licensing Mario - Nintendo should grant the license when we can conclude that the proposed project is worthwhile. Should we allow any and all the licensees to use Mii license for whichever projects, Mii's brand image will be hurt. Because we are not granting Mario license to any and all, we should not do so with Mii either,'" Iwata said. "This is the current policy of Nintendo. So, at the software development stage, we are consulting with the developers as to how they would like to make use of Mii, and our Licensing Department handles on a case-by-case basis."

Lmfao@your summary.

I don't think they are entirely aware of the storage problem. It's this Nintendo-generation's "Online is a fad" situation - they aren't convinced it's an honest problem, even though it definitely is costing them money in the long run (from lost sales, developers opting to not put their games on the Wii, etc). They counter it with the same crappy rhetoric they used viz-a-viz the GC/GBA connectivity by saying distracting things about how "we're trying to do something new instead of hitting the ceiling."

Right, right. Keep telling yourself that since it keeps you warm at night.

This all considered, I guess acknowledgment is the first step toward recovery. So let's hope we find out something concrete later on other than vague, mystical chantings from the guy who droppenzalbomben.

I mean for god's sake - use some of those insane profits to buy a few development houses and set them to work on some new IPs. Sony is beating you at this, Nintendo, and doing a fairly competent job at it.

[quote name='Strell']
I don't think they are entirely aware of the storage problem. It's this Nintendo-generation's "Online is a fad" situation - they aren't convinced it's an honest problem, even though it definitely is costing them money in the long run (from lost sales, developers opting to not put their games on the Wii, etc). They counter it with the same crappy rhetoric they used viz-a-viz the GC/GBA connectivity by saying distracting things about how "we're trying to do something new instead of hitting the ceiling."[/quote]
I think they are completely and realistically aware of the "problem", at least based on these quotes. Think of all the Wii's out there and then think of how many would have extensive Virtual Console collections. You have to rule out any that do not have an Internet connection, then any that were sold to the elderly, then any that were sold to casual gaming families... The list goes on and on. The small percentage of Wii owners who need/would like the additional space are very vocal, but I don't think it's very representative of the entire Wii-owning population.

But see, history tells us Nintendo doesn't work well with the minority. Recall the removal of the digital-out port on the later Gamecubes that most speculated saved at most 5 bucks or so per system manufactured. Their reasoning was "less than 1% of people are using the port, so we took it out." Nevermind that their competitors could offer this, and nevermind the people who actually used it. I could take the point further and say it damaged relations with third parties, but that's a real stretch, and I'd feel silly saying as much.

They don't even do well with the bigger minorities. Earthbound fans are the best example (and don't start with me on the ESRB rating that was revealed today - that's not enough for me dammit).

I'm just not buying it until it's factual and in my hands. Nintendo is in a fantastic position right now in terms of profit and revenue and such, but they still make some boneheaded mistakes and ruin certain credibilities. It's boggling when they don't release certain games on the VC, or they don't give us the Everybody's Ninendo Channel until 4 months after the Japanese release, when they flip flop on region-free games, etc.

Finally, consider that the VC did 10 million downloads in a year. Mykevermin pointed out that this is actually pretty poor. Consider that maybe 50-60% of all owners regularly connect their systems to the 'net (let alone actually use them on a consistent basis), which is roughly 10-12 million users worldwide (I guess). Which comes down to less than 1 game per console off the VC. And it's probably much lower when you consider nerds like me having some 15 games or so already.

Point being is that those of us with space issues represent maybe 2-3% of the entire Wii population. Let's be generous and say it's 10%. That's still horribly low for Nintendo to actually consider fixing the problem. And since they are high on this blue ocean shit, they might not ever care.

When I can save and load data onto SD cards, or can plug in a hard drive and alleviate space issues, or have some kind of online space where I can offload the data and dynamically load, or there's goblins that can handle all of this for me, I'm not convinced they are going to fix the problem for me.

But when they do fix it, please let the solution be goblins. I'll name my Boobelgoob.

[quote name='Strell']Nintendo is in a fantastic position right now in terms of profit and revenue and such, but they still make some boneheaded mistakes and ruin certain credibilities. [/quote]

QFT. This. '.'. whatever

[quote name='trq']Q: Upcoming Wii games?
A: We don't show off games until we're good and ready, but there's stuff we'll have for later in the year. So ... the usual.[/QUOTE]

I actually kind of like this to be honest. I'd much rather seem them announce a nearly finished game for several reasons.

One, the hype machine doesn't have as much time to build up. Take Twilight Princess for instance. A fantastic game in my opinion, but with as much hype that was built up to it, it was almost impossible to not be disappointed.

Two, delays, delays, delays. The last thing I enjoy hearing is that the next Super Mario Kart Brawl of Time game is being delayed until the year 2052. I'm much happier if a game gets announced towards the end of the line so I don't have to anticipate delays.

6 months ahead is a perfect time to announce this stuff that helps reduce said factors.

[quote name='trq']Q: Wii storage options?
A: We know we need to do something about that.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo should be aware of the problem, as it is a major issue, even if only a minority of Wii owners are going to encounter this. With more channels and software to be released in the future, 500mb is quite laughable.

Will it hurt Nintendo if they ever address the issue? Maybe, but it's very hard to predict. Nintendo needs to keep in mind that the same people who are complaining about not having enough storage are the same people who do a lot of marketing for their console and convince friends and family to purchase one for their household.

I just wish they'd let people use thumbdrives or external USB HDs. I don't see why that would be so complicated for them to do.

[quote name='Strell']But see, history tells us Nintendo doesn't work well with the minority. Recall the removal of the digital-out port on the later Gamecubes that most speculated saved at most 5 bucks or so per system manufactured. Their reasoning was "less than 1% of people are using the port, so we took it out." Nevermind that their competitors could offer this, and nevermind the people who actually used it. I could take the point further and say it damaged relations with third parties, but that's a real stretch, and I'd feel silly saying as much.[/quote]The difference here is that unlike the digital-out port, which only cost them money, catering to this small percentage of people has the potential to make them more money. As he says, though it's a minority of people, those people are avid users (i.e. they spend a lot of money).

They could find out the SD card slot is only in use by 2-3% of us and use the same logic to get rid of it for higher profits too.

I'm kind of surprised that they haven't done that yet, actually.

Besides, "more potential profits" doesn't seem to phase Nintendo sometimes. The premise of online gaming is just now trickling into their consciousness as if it were a good thing, and even then it's kind of a table scraps to the dogs situation.

Besides the issue with storage, which has been gone over so many times...

My big issue is what they said about Miis. What's the point of having them if you can't use them? I'd love Mii integration in every game that isn't shovelware. What Nintendo is doing is like if MS said that only some games could use Xbox Live and (insert whatever the lingo is for nicknames on XBL)

Also, WTF is up with the BS about Mario only being in good games?
Holel Mario
Mario Teaches Typing
Mario is Missing
(insert other mario spinnoff here. there's plenty to choose from)
Mario Party 4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25

It's a total dick move.

[quote name='Doomed']Also, WTF is up with the BS about Mario only being in good games?
Holel Mario
Mario Teaches Typing
Mario is Missing
(insert other mario spinnoff here. there's plenty to choose from)
Mario Party 4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25

It's a total dick move.[/quote]

I'm not going to argue that Mario's never been in a bad game, but you should at least limit your argument to games that were actually developed by Nintendo. You'd think that Nintendo would be more careful about licensing out the character/property but I'm not going to expect much from a non-Nintendo Mario in any case. I think most people would refer only to Nintendo-developed titles in a discussion about the Mario series.

[quote name='Strell']But see, history tells us Nintendo doesn't work well with the minority. Recall the removal of the digital-out port on the later Gamecubes that most speculated saved at most 5 bucks or so per system manufactured. Their reasoning was "less than 1% of people are using the port, so we took it out." Nevermind that their competitors could offer this, and nevermind the people who actually used it. I could take the point further and say it damaged relations with third parties, but that's a real stretch, and I'd feel silly saying as much.

They don't even do well with the bigger minorities. Earthbound fans are the best example (and don't start with me on the ESRB rating that was revealed today - that's not enough for me dammit).

I'm just not buying it until it's factual and in my hands. Nintendo is in a fantastic position right now in terms of profit and revenue and such, but they still make some boneheaded mistakes and ruin certain credibilities. It's boggling when they don't release certain games on the VC, or they don't give us the Everybody's Ninendo Channel until 4 months after the Japanese release, when they flip flop on region-free games, etc.

Finally, consider that the VC did 10 million downloads in a year. Mykevermin pointed out that this is actually pretty poor. Consider that maybe 50-60% of all owners regularly connect their systems to the 'net (let alone actually use them on a consistent basis), which is roughly 10-12 million users worldwide (I guess). Which comes down to less than 1 game per console off the VC. And it's probably much lower when you consider nerds like me having some 15 games or so already.

Point being is that those of us with space issues represent maybe 2-3% of the entire Wii population. Let's be generous and say it's 10%. That's still horribly low for Nintendo to actually consider fixing the problem.
[/quote]
You started with "But see", which would seem to indicate you were disagreeing with my point, but you then go on to agree. So I'll just assume you agree but so badly wanted to disagree that you started with those words.

As much as it annoys me at times that I fall into one of those often-ignored minorities, I don't fauly Nintendo at all for most of their current practices. I like this interview; it's fairly frank and hints that as a company they might actually have much more focus and awareness than gamers assume; certainly more than the other two big console companies right now. We just happen to not be the object of that focus.

I think the huge problem is nintendo is paranoid about piracy. Even though the wii is getting hacked to high heaven by the homebrewing community.

I'm going to bet something will be announced by E3 in July. Nintendo acknowledged finally that there is an issue. :lol:

The scary thing is wii fit. It's neat but nintendo knows the casual market and how to work it. Since they are riding high right now on that it's hard for them to take care of the "hardcore crowd". But at least Iwata says they are working on it.

I think nintendo is transforming or already has into a new gaming company. They don't always need to have third party support. Even though it would add to profits and money being spent on the console. I mean microsoft and sony are handling the hardcore markets and doing a pretty good job at it.

Overall, Nintendo is conservative with their decisions. They have a community and know it but they want the casual market, longtime gamers/hardcore are second hand now.

Ugh, more procrastinating the storage problem :(

Even if you don't buy a lot of WiiWare/VC games, these channels that are FREE take up quite a bit of space. Eventually, even the most casual of users might get tight with storage. Especially if more games copy what MKWii & Wii Fit did; allow you to download a channel.

[quote name='Strell']
Finally, consider that the VC did 10 million downloads in a year. Mykevermin pointed out that this is actually pretty poor. Consider that maybe 50-60% of all owners regularly connect their systems to the 'net (let alone actually use them on a consistent basis), which is roughly 10-12 million users worldwide (I guess). Which comes down to less than 1 game per console off the VC. And it's probably much lower when you consider nerds like me having some 15 games or so already.[/QUOTE]
I haven't bitched about this in a while so I'm using this as an excuse. We saw the relatively poor VC sales coming along from the get-go, and we even predicted this back when the pricing for VC games was first announced.

Normally, I don't bitch about Nintendo doin' what they do because I understand that they're making money. However, in the case of VC, they are leaving cash on the table both in the pricing structure and the promotion of the games. It's crazy.

I think their hesitancy to really go after VC sales harks back to a point Strell mentioned earlier in this thread: Nintendo doesn't really buy in to the internet/online experience. They continue to view it as a "fad" and act as such. They're taking it more seriously in the online multiplayer sense, but it'll be a while before they give online transactions the same respect. The Wii Ware experience will be interesting.

[quote name='rocky435']I think the huge problem is nintendo is paranoid about piracy. Even though the wii is getting hacked to high heaven by the homebrewing community. [/quote]

The sad thing is that both VC games and WiiWare have been hacked and are now accessible to anyone who has the means to download them and perform some simple steps. Preventing piracy shouldn't be the barricade to this. Anything you put out there is going to get hacked, that is just the way things are.

I'm sure the homebrew community will develop a storage solution before we get one from Nintendo. Hell, you can already run homebrew FROM an SD card in the Wii's SD slot - Nintendo doesn't even do that yet.

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']The sad thing is that both VC games and WiiWare have been hacked and are now accessible to anyone who has the means to download them and perform some simple steps. Preventing piracy shouldn't be the barricade to this. Anything you put out there is going to get hacked, that is just the way things are.[/quote]
Really? I had thought that Nintendo was sucessfully un-hacked 1 1/2 years into this console. I remember lots of bragging a few months ago from people claiming they had hacked VC games, but it turned out all they had done was figure out what was preventing them from hacking VC games.

[quote name='mephitical']Really? I had thought that Nintendo was sucessfully un-hacked 1 1/2 years into this console. I remember lots of bragging a few months ago from people claiming they had hacked VC games, but it turned out all they had done was figure out what was preventing them from hacking VC games.[/quote]

I'm not going to go into detail, but pretty much every VC game is out there for download and can be run on an unmodded Wii. WiiWare uses the same encryption scheme as the VC games so they were hacked as well.

[quote name='Strell']They could find out the SD card slot is only in use by 2-3% of us and use the same logic to get rid of it for higher profits too.

I'm kind of surprised that they haven't done that yet, actually.[/quote]Photo Channel and custom soundtracks means the SD slot will be staying around for a long time.

--R.J.

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']I'm not going to go into detail, but pretty much every VC game is out there for download and can be run on an unmodded Wii. WiiWare uses the same encryption scheme as the VC games so they were hacked as well.[/quote]

Huh. So we know it totally can be done then, right? I'm assuming they're able to run them directly from the SD card then, which means it's possible for Nintendo to do the same.

[quote name='rjung']Photo Channel and custom soundtracks means the SD slot will be staying around for a long time.[/quote]

Those are used very minimally, so I don't see either as cementing the SD slot as a permanent inclusion.

[quote name='mephitical']Those are used very minimally, so I don't see either as cementing the SD slot as a permanent inclusion.[/QUOTE]
Doesn't matter. The Photo Channel alone is key to Nintendo's idea of making the Wii a device that non-gamers in your family would want to use. "Hey, let's see those vacation photos on the big-screen TV" is not possible without an SD card slot.

--R.J.

bread's done
Back