Jack Thompson goes after Killer 7

evanft

CAGiversary!
Feedback
68 (100%)
He's going after Killer 7.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/639/639809p1.html

Highlight:

"There is no question in my mind that a videogame containing 'full-blown sex sequences' cannot be rated anything other than 'AO' rather than 'M,'" Thompson writes in the e-mail. "The [IGN.com review] says that this game's 'M' actually means something, and [it] says it twice for emphasis."

Thompson's campaign seems based solely on the description of Killer 7 in the IGN.com review -- a description that is open to interpretation. In fact, Killer 7's so-called "full-blown sex sequences" could appear tame when compared to those in some of today's movies. The sexual scenes in question showcase a fully clothed wheelchair-bound man pleasuring a straddling woman, who is also fully clothed. Although she moans, indicating a sexual orgasm, neither nudity nor intercourse is illustrated in the cut-scene. The same scene in a movie today might warrant only a PG-13 or, worst, R-rating.

fucking IGN. I knew that dumbass statement would draw unnecessary attention to the game one way or another.

Let's just hope he doesn't hear about the scene where the little girl organ seller tells another man about how he just killed his whole family, before tossing his daughters head in his lap, then shoots the guy.

[quote name='Apossum']fucking IGN. I knew that dumbass statement would draw unnecessary attention to the game one way or another.

Let's just hope he doesn't hear about the scene where the little girl organ seller tells another man about how he just killed his whole family, before tossing his daughters head in his lap, then shoots the guy.[/QUOTE]

But this is FULLY CLOTHED SEX that shows NOTHING, and has some moaning in it, much much worse than that :roll:

oh yeah, i forgot. sex is illegal and throwing peoples daughters heads at them before shooting them is cool, socially acceptable, is the polite thing to do and should be taught to 17 year olds.

After all, that's really who he's fighting against-- 17 year olds who want to buy games. because, you know, there's a huge difference between 17 and 18 year olds. poor jack didn't know where to put his thingy until after he was 17, thus all 17 year olds must suffer, right? :lol:

It's a fucking rail shooter for christ's sake!

It is going to have low sales, and nobody is going to care either way except for people in that very small niche market.

NOBODY CARES! There will not be a bill, there will not be a law, and the fucking rating will NOT be changed.

What's next, a big news story every time a bum in LA says the rapture is comming?

This guy has no life what so ever. fuck Jack Thompson. He needs to get a real job, and stop blaming society for his small penis. If he doesn't like the game, then he doesn't have to buy it, simple as that. Stop forcing your opinions, and beliefs on me.

There's a million other problems effecting children in the world. Problems like hunger, abuse, and poverty. What does Jack Thompson do to save the kids? Go for those horrible immoral video games, great job Jack.

As much as I think Jack Thompson is a douchebag, recieving death threats from gamers is giving him precisely what he wants by making gamers look like violent sociopaths influenced by the games they play. Maybe if these frigging idiots thought about the consequences they wouldn't be getting targeted by the FBI and making us all look bad and proving Thompson's "point" (although he's really only on about the sex thing mostly). Getting riled up about Thompson is pointless too. There's always silly, sad people out there who need a crusade to make themselves feel like they are of some worth, and Thompson has chosen games. He will keep blindly targeting games and we'll keep laughing at his irrelevance, little will change outside of stricter ESRB enforcement (which should have happened a long time ago to avoid this absurdity anyways) and protest groups riding Thompson's waves will go whine at Rockstar's doorstep for a while and then they'll fade into obscurity. No need to agonize over it.

[quote name='russtophiles']As much as I think Jack Thompson is a douchebag, recieving death threats from gamers is giving him precisely what he wants by making gamers look like violent sociopaths influenced by the games they play. Maybe if these frigging idiots thought about the consequences they wouldn't be getting targeted by the FBI and making us all look bad and proving Thompson's "point" (although he's really only on about the sex thing mostly). Getting riled up about Thompson is pointless too. There's always silly, sad people out there who need a crusade to make themselves feel like they are of some worth, and Thompson has chosen games. He will keep blindly targeting games and we'll keep laughing at his irrelevance, little will change outside of stricter ESRB enforcement (which should have happened a long time ago to avoid this absurdity anyways) and protest groups riding Thompson's waves will go whine at Rockstar's doorstep for a while and then they'll fade into obscurity. No need to agonize over it.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

This poster speaks the truth. If we get angry over this, it will do us no good. We would only fuel his fire, as he would see this as us being "scared that change is coming". The best way for us to react these stories is with a calm mind and a cool head. It will blow over in time.

[quote name='Kain Vincent']:applause:

This poster speaks the truth. If we get angry over this, it will do us no good. We would only fuel his fire, as he would see this as us being "scared that change is coming". The best way for us to react these stories is with a calm mind and a cool head. It will blow over in time.[/QUOTE]

I'm not personally angry as much as I am mystified by this incredible douche. in fact, I'm happy cause usually these kinds of backlashes are met with an opposite reaction-- people will buy more copies of K7, which might lead to a sequel or another game like it :D

hmm I thought the crusades ended hundreds of years ago, but I guess they are taking back videogames for the children, how plesant

All I can see is a very bleak afterlife for this guy. I'm sure he's a real nice guy (actually, i don't think so), but someday this is really going to backfire, either for him, or for whoever he represents.

Like i've said in some old Thompson post, I think every time a new medium, like rock & roll, movies, and whatnot, comes out there will allways be people who jump on the 'contraversy' bandwagon. The nice thing is that most of these bandwagons don't last too long. I bet this whole ordeal will be forgotten in about a year.

[quote name='b0bx13']From: [email protected]
To: [email protected]
Subject: Masturbation scene in childrens' video game?

So uh, do you like, jerk off to reading your name in the media or what?[/QUOTE]

He actually replied to that :lol:

nope. I'll leave that to you kiddie gamers

I have to say it really amazes me that he would sink to such a level. I mean, this guy is a LAWYER with national attention, yet he has zero maturity "behind the scenes." As for the comment about things backfiring on Thompson, I think his lack of maturity will be his downfall.

[quote name='b0bx13']He actually replied to that :lol:

[/QUOTE]

this guy is sadder than I thought :rofl:

That's amazing. If that's for real, it should be sent to as many gaming sites and even news sites as possible to show the guy's level of (im)maturity.

We need to give these groups more rope.

Then when they go after Harry Potter or the D&D (as they always do, Puritans just can't resist) we spring the trap!

[quote name='Quackzilla']It's a fucking rail shooter for christ's sake!

It is going to have low sales, and nobody is going to care either way except for people in that very small niche market.

NOBODY CARES! There will not be a bill, there will not be a law, and the fucking rating will NOT be changed.

What's next, a big news story every time a bum in LA says the rapture is comming?[/QUOTE]

Just like 25 to Life. That game sucks my beef whistle.

We need to get a bunch of Harry Potter books, GTA games, and D&D sets and fill them with gunpowder and nitro glycerin and leave them lying around for the fanatics to see.

When they try and burn them BOOM! and the game industry, television, the movie industry, and the book industry will be free!

Dammit, this must be stopped. The images suggesting to our children (Won't somebody think of the children?) that the wheelchair bound can produce sexual pleasure in women in a plainly non-procreative fashion will surely spell the ruination of our civilization if not removed from all retail availability. And while we're at it, we also need to get rid of the movie where a crippled Eric Stoltz fondles Helen Hunt's breasts. There is no end to the trouble that would be created by the sexual empowerment of paralyzed folk who are plotting against our precious bodily fluids.

Subject: Is it possible that.....

You are a virgin and therefore going after video games with sex for taking what you want so badly from life?

Oh and by the way, you should check out VG cats, an excellent internet comic with a perfect portrayal of you and your helping hand Hillary Clinton, who probably is in it for the reason I explained earlier

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/images/050725.jpg

And don't bother trying to stop them from printing more comics, freedom of the press bitch

I have this up and am thinking about sending it, anyone think I should send it?

[quote name='Shinkuu Ryao']From: [email protected]
Subject: Is it possible that.....

You are a virgin and therefore going after video games with sex for taking what you want so badly from life?

Oh and by the way, you should check out VG cats, an excellent internet comic with a perfect portrayal of you and your helping hand Hillary Clinton, who probably is in it for the reason I explained earlier

And don't bother trying to stop them from printing more comics, freedom of the press bitch

I have this up and am thinking about sending it, anyone think I should send it?[/QUOTE]
As Lulu pointed out already, Jack already knows about VG Cats. :lol:

So I just decided to google "jackpeace" and see what would come up.. the results are humorous. (note the bolded red text)

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/industry-news/q-a/index.php

Sent: Thu 11/11/2004 9:40 AM
To: Jack Thompson [[email protected]]
Subject: Reporter’s request

Hi there,
I’m the editor of the gaming blog, Kotaku. Would you be willing to do a short Q&A about your fight against violent video games for the site? It would be via email.
Thanks,
Brian D. Crecente
Editor
Kotaku

Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2004 9:43 AM
To: Brian Crecente [[email protected]]
Subject: Re: Reporter’s request

no, but thanks. i’m too busy destroying best buy and rockstar

Sent: Thu 11/11/2004 9:47 AM
Subject: Reporter’s request

Lol,
Thanks for the quick reply and let me know if you change your mind, we have a pretty big gamer audience.
brian

Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2004 9:49 AM
Subject: Re: Reporter’s request

they’re not my audience.

Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2004 9:54 AM
Subject: RE: Reporter’s request

Maybe not your intended audience, but they are certainly listening. I think they would be interested to hear your perspective on violence and gaming. Your views on the Manhunt murder and gaming ties to the Sniper shootings drew a lot of attention. I’ve read a lot of posts and articles on the subject, but nothing that offered your point of view.

Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2004 10:06 AM
Subject: RE: Reporter’s request

I couldn’t care less if they’re listening

(Chad Varn's e-mail address and phone number have been edited out)

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 6:41 AM

Subject: Open letter

Mr. Thompson,

You sir an idiot. You are about as educated on the video game industry as I am on nuclear medicine (big hint, I’m not!). One again you and your pundits of political lunacy are using the video game industry as your whipping boy. Funny how Hollywood churns out vulgarity after vulgarity yet you raise not one eyebrow? Funny how your kind forced the music industry to put labels on albums with obscene language. At least the video game industry self imposed ratings on it’s product. Thus far it had worked. As a worker in the industry I see idiot parents buy stuff for their kids without regard for the warnings. Perhaps you should blame them not the ESRB or its leadership. Being a republican myself, you make me sick. After reading your open letter I was reminded of the McCarthy hearings in the 50’s and how witch hunters such as yourself almost turned America into the spitting image of Nazi Germany. Video games DO fall under constitutional protection. DO NOT go down that road you are trying to go down. It leads to a place our forefathers would definitely fear. People like you are book burners, no better than Hitler’s goose-stepping SS. I can only pray that your efforts fail.

Submitted,

Cpl H. Chad Varn

www.chadvarn.com
--------------------------------

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 6:51 AM
To: Chad Varn
Subject: Re: Open letter

your first sentence is missing a verb. too many games, no doubt.

To: 'Jack Thompson'

Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 8:58 AM

Subject: RE: Open letter

Actually sir, I am an English major, 6 year veteran of the US Marine Corps and the parent of two loving children. Too many games my arse; I figured why bother with correct grammatical form when you haven’t bothered with correct thinking and logic, instead you offer a subtle insult. Oh by the way, how do you fit into those goose-stepping boots? To think the six years I spent defending folk’s freedom you would like to just throw away. Not on my watch Mr. Thompson, my brethren and I have paid too dear a price. Oh here is the first sentence reworked with your precious damned verb. You sir, are a blithering idiot! (Blithering is a verb intransitive BTW). In your day, politicians attacked comics, now games are the new scapegoats. Pity your ilk won’t blame the real culprits of society’s woes and the many Columbines theretofore produced; POOR PARENTING. Your scarcely even understand the media you are so quick to attack. When was the last time you played a MODERN video game, without being guided through it by those who cater to your goal? A majority of the gaming industry produces quality, entertaining and less controversial titles.

Regards, Semper Fidelis,

Cpl H. Chad Varn

www.chadvarn.com

Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 9:15 AM

get lost. you embarrass the Corps

Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 9:20 AM

No sir, you embarrass the nation. Pity you can’t respond to my charges against you. Like a bad B-movie you can only offer pithy one liners. I’m making sure all communications to and from you are forwarded to the many arms of the gaming and national press.

Regards, Semper Fidelis,

Cpl H. Chad Varn

www.chadvarn.com

Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 9:21 AM

I don't have time for your "charges." Go semper fidelis yourself.

Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 9:27 AM

Because you have no substance to your charges, I’ll bet if I was MSNBC, CBS et al you’d have some great comment pre-typed and ready to go. You see you should make the time, as the politicians you’re trying to bring on board are the ones we citizens elect and as constituents we can make or break political careers. I think you have some serious childhood issues you may want to sort out.

Regards, Semper Fidelis,

Cpl H. Chad Varn

www.chadvarn.com

Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 9:31 AM

you're right. you're an audience of one. if you do the math, Einstein, you can see I am wasting my time bothering with a close-minded nerd. bug off. last warning

Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2005 4:02 PM
Subject: Violence in entertainment

I cannot believe you have the gall to claim you're protecting our "freedom" (there is no plural form). I am an average citizen who has a family and does their part in paying taxes. I enjoy playing video games like Halo and watching action movies with gratuitous amounts of explosions and violence. To lay the blame on this form of entertainment for the wrong doings of others and the inability of their parents to raise them properly is an outrage. What we have in this country is a problem of people like you pointing fingers to problems with no real solutions to the ROOT of the problem. The root of the problem is how to handle the care of our children. Too many are being dropped off in day care and not being cared for in the home. Why? Why isn't it more affordable to have a spouse in the home to take care of the children until they reach school age? Several studies have shown that the most impressionable time in a child's life is before they even reach 1st grade! There is a lack of morals in this country that seems to center around big business, big government and more money for the few that have it. Stop trying to curtail entertainment and try doing something productive like forcing legislature to make publicly owned companies to adhere to fair business practices that allow them to stop laying people off just so they can have more money in THEIR pockets. Stop sending the jobs overseas…."global economy" is a catchphrase for "more money in the company owner's pockets." The unemployed should be a bigger priority than trying to censor some video game. You give that person a better job so their child can have better care and THEN you've actually done something about the problem other than put a band-aid on it. Violence begets violence….the poor do not need a game to see it or mimic it. Violence was around before video games and will be around still even if you manage to get rid of them. Attack the root of the problem, not the effect.

===========
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2005 3:29 PM
To: Ruckus
Subject: Re: Violence in entertainment

hey, got lots of gall here

To: Jack Thompson
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 9:12 AM
Subject: RE: Violence in entertainment

That's all you have to say? Nice piece of work you are.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 8:19 AM
Subject: Re: Violence in entertainment

I don't have time for ill-mannered morons

Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 9:36 AM
Subject: RE: Violence in entertainment

but you have time to call people names who have a difference of opinion? that's not very civil

Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 8:41 AM
Subject: You want to talk civil?

Immediate News Release 3/10/05

Makers of Grand Theft Auto to Release The Bully Game, Featuring School Kids Beating One Another
A confidential video game industry source has informed Miami attorney and anti-violent video game advocate Jack Thompson that Take-Two Interactive’s Rockstar Games is working on a new violent video game called The Bully Game.
This new title, according to this deep industry source, will pit rival gangs against one another in a virtual reality school where they can mercilessly beat and harm one another, turning virtual schools into cauldrons of chaos.
Given the fact that video games spill virtual violence into reality, this schoolyard violence is not what America’s schools need right about now.
Today Jack Thompson is contacting the Bush Administration’s Department of Education to alert the President.
If the video game industry is allowed, unchecked, to continue to raise our children, then at this pace pretty soon “No Child Left Behind” will morph into “No Child Left Alive.”
President Bush’s oft-repeated mantra that the answer to the entertainment industry’s assault upon our children is that “parents need to be better parents” is an insufficient firewall against the above outrage coming to a school near you.

CONTACT Jack Thompson at 305-666-4366 for additional information.

Longer e-mail here: http://aelon.net/2005/07/jack-thompson-straw-man/

Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 6:11 PM
Subject: interview questions

Jack, I'm working on an article about video game violence. I've read alot about your crusades against video games and the Devin Thompson trial and wanted to get you to clarify your position for me. With Thompson, do you believe that he would not have committed these murders had he not played these games? Is there a law in Alabamma that forbids retailers from selling M-rated games to minors? Do you have as much of a problem with less realistic violence, like with games from the 1980s? What about Dungeons and Dragons, which was demonized in the 80s and blamed for several youth murders and suicides? What about violent sports game simulations; hockey, football, boxing, wrestling? How much consideration do you give to the idea that the responsibility for shielding kids from violence should lie with the parents instead of game developers or retailers? I need to get this story in over the next few days, so please email me back soon. Feel free to call me at 201-239-0449 if you need more details. Thanks,Shaun McCormack

To: shaunmccormack
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 9:14 PM
Subject: Re: interview questions

kiss the game industry good-bye

Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 9:27 PM

do you care to answer any of my questions?

Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 9:26 PM

nope

Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 9:39 PM

why do you have a web site urging people to contact you if you don't want to talk about this stuff?

Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2005 4:14 AM

read again whom I want to have contact me. have the games so disabled your frontal lobes that you can't understand the site?

Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2005 4:23 PM

"This site's purpose is to give you the means to contact Miami attorney Jack Thompson if you know of someone harmed as a result of violent entertainment, including violent video games." I'm writing about Devin Thompson and the three officers he allegedly killed. In your opinion, don't these people fall under the umbrella of "someone harmed as a result of violent entertainment"? Why are you resorting to personal attacks?

Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2005 4:36 PM

it says if you are harmed. bug off

Google "[email protected]" for more.

Alright, I updated my email with a few opinions that I think matter, I will only post the body

You are a virgin and therefore going after video games with sex for taking what you want so badly from life? Is it possible you never had a woman make passionate love to you without you having to pay for it in the first place or having to load the woman full of chloroform? Is that why you want to take it out on video games, which don't let you just watch the sex but sometimes help simulate it.

Statement 1: Okay I'll say this, your first target, Grand Theft Auto, was sucessfully shot down by you after the sex mod was unveiled. Needless to say, why did you just now decide to shoot it down? Before the sex mod was even discovered in the game you could do even worse things, such as make out with another man, bomb buildings with an airplane, watch as WWII planes fell from the sky, and kill a police officer with the Purple Sex Toy Rockstar stole from your closet. And that's all I have to say about Grand Theft Auto

Statement 2: The Sims, another game you came after for a cheat code that the creators didn't know could be used in the way it has been used. Using the cheat you can move the censor bars to reveal..... a manequin! Oh no, what has the world come to!?

Statement 3: Your latest target, Killer 7, was spotted for what you called a sex scene, most places define sex as inserting a man's phallus into a woman's vagina, not a woman you wish you had straddling a man in a wheelchair, afterwards you said that the amount of blood and gore in the game was also very bad, may I direct your attention to a vast majority of Japan, there blood and violence is not that big of a deal, little kids watch it every day even.

Statement 4: Were you crying loudly in a corner while listening to Linkin Park when Leisure Suite Larry: Magna Cum Laude came out? The entire plot of the game is to score with some fine college women and view a video of Larry having sex with the women, while I heard the game was bad, I will say this, did you even care?

Statement 5: I highly reccomend going to http://eHarmony.com I typed in "Video Game hating ass-hat seeking woman of any legal age, must be able to withstand old guy smell and love to hear me talk" I think a few mentally challenged women applied, as did Martha Stewart

So now that you've heard my thoughts I am confident I shall recieve a reply back swiftly batting away my opinions somehow and proving my theory and motto that "everyone in the world is stupider than you think"

Oh and by the way, you should check out VG cats, an excellent internet comic with a perfect portrayal of you and your helping hand Hillary Clinton, who probably is in it for the reason I explained in the first sentance of this e-mail.

Oh, it appears that the creator of the website has already owned your ass so badly that you started to resort to the stupidly unusual crybaby phase of denial!

Just tell me what you think please

After posting an editorial on him, I recived this:

I'll be in Ohio Tuesday for a hugely significant news story that affects the entire video game industry. The significance of it eclipses the "Hot Coffee" story, for example, by a very wide margin indeed. Keep checking your google news links on Tuesday. I would tell you all what it is, but, of course, I don't trust the video game enthusiast press to embargo something until then, and for very good reason. Jack Thompson

(edited)

[email protected]

August 6, 2005

Patricia Vance
President
Entertainment Software Rating Board
317 Madison Avenue, 22nd Floor
New York, NY 10017 Fax: 212-759-2223

Re: Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude and God of War

Dear Ms. Vance:

Thanks to some honorable people in the video game industry and also in the gaming community, it appears to me, and to them, and I am rather certain it will appear to Members of Congress, that the above two video games should be re-rated “AO” rather than their present “M.”

Of course, you know why.

Please put on the fast track a reassessment of these two games, along with Killer 7, as I believe a failure to do so will make things even more difficult for the ESRB and the video game industry with the coming governmental inquiries into whether the ratings system is broken, as Senator Clinton has indicated.

Sincerely, Jack Thompson

Copies: Senator Clinton, Senator Lieberman, Senator Brownback, Senator Santorum
Assemblyman Yee

Federal Trade Commission

Congressman Upton

Class action counsel

Media

Others

[quote name='evanft']He's going after Killer 7.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/639/639809p1.html

Highlight:[/QUOTE]

he should go after Pokemon. Its telling kids to run out and wack little animals in the head with balls.. still waiting for this news story.

a little kid was attacked by a bear today after trying to catch it using a pokemon ball. the bear attacked the kid after the kid hit them in the head with a ball

1. Why would a child be alone in a forest with bears?
2. Why would he even have a pokeball with him?

There's a difference between killing innocent people and throwing balls at animals.

[quote name='Celes']1. Why would a child be alone in a forest with bears?[/quote]
To catch a bear with his pokeball.

[quote name='Celes'] 2. Why would he even have a pokeball with him? [/quote]
To catch the bear.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']To catch a bear with his pokeball.

To catch the bear.[/QUOTE]

It's too much to bear :rofl:

[quote name='gamereviewgod']After posting an editorial on him, I recived this:

I'll be in Ohio Tuesday for a hugely significant news story that affects the entire video game industry. The significance of it eclipses the "Hot Coffee" story, for example, by a very wide margin indeed. Keep checking your google news links on Tuesday. I would tell you all what it is, but, of course, I don't trust the video game enthusiast press to embargo something until then, and for very good reason. Jack Thompson

(edited)

[email protected]

August 6, 2005

Patricia Vance
President
Entertainment Software Rating Board
317 Madison Avenue, 22nd Floor
New York, NY 10017 Fax: 212-759-2223

Re: Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude and God of War

Dear Ms. Vance:

Thanks to some honorable people in the video game industry and also in the gaming community, it appears to me, and to them, and I am rather certain it will appear to Members of Congress, that the above two video games should be re-rated “AO” rather than their present “M.”

Of course, you know why.

Please put on the fast track a reassessment of these two games, along with Killer 7, as I believe a failure to do so will make things even more difficult for the ESRB and the video game industry with the coming governmental inquiries into whether the ratings system is broken, as Senator Clinton has indicated.

Sincerely, Jack Thompson

Copies: Senator Clinton, Senator Lieberman, Senator Brownback, Senator Santorum
Assemblyman Yee

Federal Trade Commission

Congressman Upton

Class action counsel

Media

Others[/QUOTE]

Jack certainly keeps busy.

I used to think that it wasn't just the money and he actually believed his own hype, but I guess I was wrong. This is clearly about his career. Disappointing, because I liked to believe he was crazy.

Crazy like a fox.

This guy is my new hero. He's had his website since 2002 and was nobody. He has taken one small event and made himself into the bane of internet geeks everywhere. If I could get that many people upset with so little effort, I'd do it in a second just to make the sociological point. It still wouldn't surprise me to find that this is some guy sitting in his basement screwing with all of you, at least, in terms of the website/emails.

And finally, for those implying that he is some ring wing Christian nut job. I would like to point out that the first 3 digits of his contact phone number are in fact 666. No practicing Christian would allow that.

http://www.dsrevolution.com/article.php?articleid=557&PHPSESSID=b11b73f4f70136a05c21f6ecb7a09372

Jack Thompson Wants Killer 7 to Have an AO Rating --- Aug 9th 5:37 am CDT
posted by JeffEaston

Florida attorney Jack Thompson, who previously went after Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is now back in the spotlight, this time attacking the GameCube and PlayStation 2 video game, Killer 7. Thompson is asking the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) to change its M (Mature) rating to an AO (Adults Only) rating for Capcom's Killer 7, a stylish shooting game released this summer.

Thompson says, in an e-mail to Patricia Vance, president of the ESRB, that the game should have a rating of Adults Only, due to the "full-blown sex sequence" which appears at a point in the game. The attorney only bases this on the IGN.com review of Killer 7, which mentions a "full-blown sex sequence" being in the game. However, this scene shows no nudity or actual intercourse, although moaning can be heard.

Thompson then goes on in his e-mail to say that he believes this puts the ESRB "in the middle of a criminal conspiracy to distribute sexual material harmful to minors in violation of criminal statutes." Yes, Mr. Thompson really does believe that the ESRB is part of a criminal conspiracy to get little kids to play games with sexual material.

"This is not a situation in which the ESRB has been blind-sided by hidden or embedded content, Ms. Vance. You all have known that the 'full-blown sex sequences' are patently present in the game, yet you chose to put an 'M' rather than an 'AO' rating on it. Big mistake." He continues on to say, "If I were you, Ms. Vance, I would immediately ask the makers of this game, and all retailers, to pull it from store shelves. If you don't, expect for others to use this latest scandal, which I am hereby officially kicking off, to call for a dismantling of the ESRB. The fox has guarded the chickens long enough. Killer 7 seems to prove it."

To summarize, Thompson is threatening to call for a dismantling of the ESRB if they do not change the rating of Killer 7 from M (17 and up) to AO (18 and up), based on a review of the game he read on IGN. While we should generally keep out opinions out of news pieces such as this, this is one of those times where I think we should speak up a bit, as IGN also has done. What Mr. Thompson fails to realize is that the "sex scene" in Killer 7 is something you would find regularly in today's PG-13 rated movies. The ESRB rating of M is the equivalent of the MPAA rating of R, and the AO rating is the video game equivalent of pornography.

Mr. Thompson is wrong. While he tries to accuse the ESRB of trying to let children play games such as Killer 7, he refuses to recognize that a "Mature" rating on a video game means that children cannot buy it. If a store sells someone an M-rated game without asking for an I.D. or if a parent buys an M-rated game for their child, that is not the fault of the ESRB. That is the fault of the store or the parent. It is time for people looking for a quick way to get their name out there by attacking things they don't understand or trying to place the blame where it does not belong to stop. It does nothing but make the person eventually look like a fool while simultaneously hurting the industry the person tries to take down.

If Mr. Thompson were to ever read this and feel the need to contact this site in hopes of defending himself, I would hope he does. I would gladly take the opportunity to have a discussion with the man. It would not surprise me, seeing as how he has already threatened to sue the online comic strip VG Cats, after being offended by one of their latest comics.

For now however, the small number of people who bought Killer 7 and enjoy it can rest easily knowing his crusade will most likely have little to no impact on the rating. Of course, sales might go up. Oops.

jack thompson is an attention whore, it will be cool to see what happens to him once his 15 minutes are up. He'll just find something else to jump on to get his name back out in the media.

[quote name='Shinkuu Ryao']

You are a virgin and therefore going after video games with sex for taking what you want so badly from life?...bitch

Just tell me what you think please[/QUOTE]

These (and more there) are ad hominem attacks; these are fallacies. Attack the argument, not the speaker.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad-hominem

Check online for more logical fallacies.

I think Jack Thompson is setting himself up for a pretty big fall here in the near future. He is becoming too much of a household name and there's such a huge back catalog of his questionable character that the mainstream media will eventually get a hold of it and ruin any sliver of credibility that this guy has. Don't worry about Jack, his day will come and he's going to be have ended up hurting the very cause he was fighting for (whether that cause be advancing his career or actually trying to help the youth of America). I think we all can see what his true goal is though. Enjoy the fame while it lasts Jack.

I wonder if this al started as jack flipping through the channels and catching morgan webb on her vg show. He sent a lusty perverted letter to her and she told him to screw off.
Thus beginning the hate revenge filled crusade against all things that are associated with her. -Namely boobs and videogames.
If he cant have her, then hell ruin everything she stands for!

[quote name='eldad9']These (and more there) are ad hominem attacks; these are fallacies. Attack the argument, not the speaker.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad-hominem

Check online for more logical fallacies.[/QUOTE]

We did a whole unit on these in one of my courses, but I honestly forget most of them. I'm pretty sure I remember the major ones, with my favorite being the non sequitur. This has nothing to do with JAck Thompson, but...ya' know.

bread's done
Back