Japan DS imports

Qslugs

CAGiversary!
It'd be great to give some love back to CAG via Playasia.

Anyone know of any must have DS imports? I cannot read Japanese btw, but if there were something cool that is a must see I would be willing to import it. Anyway, looking for something new and interesting. I think I own all the cool US reigon DS games with interesting control schemes.

Also, if theres a thread for this already if someone could point me in that direction that would be kinda cool as well.

Jump Ultimate Stars, and from what i am sure folks will follow up with, ouendan(sp?)

I don't know a lick of japanese besides yes and no, and I put 20+ hours into JUS within my first 3 days.

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! 1 and 2 are fun music rhythm games. Brutally hard though.

Choushoujuu Mecha MG is a really fun mecha fighter with touch controls. You literally get to bitch slap other robots. Very fun and humorous.

Stafi 4 is a fun character based 2D side scroller, much like Kirby.

Kuru Kuru Paradise is supposed to be great. It's a GBA game but lots of people like it. I think it's kind of a twitch puzzler where you guide around your character through mazes/levels trying not to crash.

There's also the Bit Generations series, but those are GBA games, not DS. Still pretty fun, if a little minimalistic.

I'm sure others gots suggestions too. I think there's a Prince of Tennis game lots of people like...

Oh, and soon, Tingle's RPG will come out in the UK, and I gotsta import that ish.

Here's also hoping some future Japan releases make it over here, namely the Super Dodgeball game, Arkanoid w/special controller, and Mag Kid (which I think looks pretty cool).

[quote name='hohez']and from what i am sure folks will follow up with, ouendan(sp?)[/quote]

yup the only 2 import DS games i own are Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 1 and 2.

and i love both of them :D

Also Daigasso! Band Brothers, another rhythm game, and the expansion (GBA cart) if you see fit to get that as well (I did).

Strell hit the nail on the head. I own Jump Super Stars and Ultimate Stars, and they're both great, but Ultimate Stars is much better. It's not worth buying Super Stars.

Ouendan 1 and 2 are both wonderful, and both worth buying.

I have Densutso no Stafi 2 for the GBA, and that's a really fun platformer. I also have Kururin Paradise, really fun puzzle title. May want to pick up Kuru Kuru Kururin, its predecessor (sp?), as well as the other Stafi games.

I also have (Taiko Drum Master), but it's backordered most everywhere. It comes with two drumstick styli, which are totally awesome. It's a great game is you enjoy music/rhythm games or the Taiko series.

The drum styli:[URL="http://img182.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1011654jf1.jpg"]

And a gameplay video of Taiko: mms://wms51.aii.co.jp/famitsu/wavetv/interview/070608_taiko.wmv

About four minutes in, demo starts. It's very easy in the beginning, and gets terribly hard. It's a great game.

Note that I don't know one word of Japanese.

I agree with Jump Ultimate Stars....I've only put more time into Animal Crossing on my ds....I don't think anything will beat the amount of hours into that one.

Stafi 2 for GBA is awesome....I don't have stafi 1 but my brother does and it is fun as well. It is a kirby/mario type platformer.

Kururin Paradise (GBA) is fun but frustrating.

I have Taiko no Tatsujin DS on backorder....I am very excited about that one.

Oh...By the way if anyone is interested the coupon code "US" still works at YesAsia. $5 dollars off...free shipping...I'm getting Taiko for $42. (It'll ship in a month or so though!!!)

Hey thanks for the replies guys. Now I gotta free up some cash. Unfortunately the Wizard convention was here in Chicagoland this past weekend.

On a more positive note, I do now have a huge stack of comics.

[quote name='MadFlava']Are there any 2-D fighters for the DS that are import only other than the Jump Stars games?[/QUOTE]

Bleach.

That's the second one. Don't know how it compares to the first. I heard the first one was good but the online play was broken because of randomized power ups. Or something.

Yeah, Bleach is a lot more like the traditional QCF-QCF-QCF-QCF-QCF-QCF et al fighter.

Not that I think JUS is an effective substitute for the SSBM style fighter either, but JUS leans more toward that way... but in a direction all its own... kinda.

Can't help you...

For the text heavy people I'm enjoying Heroes of Mana, but since that'll come over in English the one one I'm playing now that I'm pretty sure won't be localized is Doki Doki Majo Shinpan. Cute little renai/touch detective.

man I was just randomly browsing Play-Asia for some of the games mentioned in this thread, and both Chousoujuu Mecha MG and Stafi 4 were on sale for $24.90...I then got the first Stafi game as well, which was only $12.90, so I could use the $5 off coupon. Cost $63.60 overall, which is great IMO for 3 import games.

The only thing I can add is to also recommend Ouendan & Ouendan 2. Ouendan 2 is pretty much my favorite game on the system. Not because there aren't better games(or at least games that are as good), but because this entire series is the most addicted I've been to any game since Tetris on the original gameboy. I don't think I've gone more than 2 days without playing Ouendan 2 since I got it back in May.

I just found out that my copy of Ouendan 2 was delivered today (from yesasia for $34.99 shipped with coupon.) Yeah! I've been hooked on EBA, so Ouendan 2 was a no-brainer at that price. I'm not sure if I'll pick up Ouendan 1 or not - apparently it doesn't let you skip the stories or the starts of songs. Is that correct? I find that feature indispensable in EBA. The stories are a fun part of the game, but not when you are having to try the same song multiple times in a row to beat it. I do rewatch the stories if it's been a while, but being forced to watch them every time would be a major annoyance.

EDIT: as it turns out it wasn't delivered, rather, "picked up", and at a somewhat different zip code. I guess that just means the local post office got it, but in any case there was no package for me yesterday. Hopefully it shows up today.

[quote name='crunchewy']I just found out that my copy of Ouendan 2 was delivered today (from yesasia for $34.99 shipped with coupon.) Yeah! I've been hooked on EBA, so Ouendan 2 was a no-brainer at that price. I'm not sure if I'll pick up Ouendan 1 or not - apparently it doesn't let you skip the stories or the starts of songs. Is that correct? I find that feature indispensable in EBA. The stories are a fun part of the game, but not when you are having to try the same song multiple times in a row to beat it. I do rewatch the stories if it's been a while, but being forced to watch them every time would be a major annoyance.[/quote]try S ranking all the songs on all the difficulties, i must've seen the same story at least 100 times each

Well, USPS said the package was delivered, but when I got home, no package. :( I'm hoping it's just the dopey USPS delivery "confirmation" system, and that they confirmed delivery to the post office, and not yet my house.

bread's done
Back