Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
bleck. considering how some of their last games turned out I don't trust them to make a good megaman game.
I gotta blame Activision for that. Platinum has shown they know how to make excellent games, especially hack 'n slash and beat'em ups. Activision has shown they give no fucks about rushing games out.

jrpg wise you definitely aren't leaning towards anyone considering rpgs are multiplat and console wise they don't have much support anyway.
That's true for the major, big name JRPG releases, but if I'm a big JRPG fan, I want to play the more niche releases too. I want to play Disgaea, I want to play Star Ocean, I want to play God Eater, I want to play Ys, I want to play the Tales games. If I don't have a PC that I can run them (and I don't) then I'm going to gravitate toward Sony, whose platforms get a lot more of those than the others.

That's true for the major, big name JRPG releases, but if I'm a big JRPG fan, I want to play the more niche releases too. I want to play Disgaea,
its available on multiple systems and pc/nintendo in the case of 1. with likely the rest of the series to follow pc wise.

I want to play God Eater
psp psvita and ps4.

I want to play Ys,
multiplat as well

I want to play the Tales games.
outside the xillias all of them are multiplat. and considering like disgaea they have started rolling out pc releases its inevitable more titles are soon to join them.

If I don't have a PC that I can run them (and I don't) then I'm going to gravitate toward Sony,
you don't have a pc that's less than 4-5 years old? or in general.

so5 is multiplat as well (though its not getting a ps3 release in na)

Besides Starfox,the others that Activision published for them were cheap and rushed.
Star Fox Zero was outstanding, as was Transformers Devastation. Korra wasn't bad, but TMNT was dog shit.

Nier Automata, I could not care less about. The first Nier was such a trashy mess. I can't wait to see Platinum rank your action in Automata on how much your character wailed about how senseless life is and all is despair and you get thrown in a giant room full of nothing but babies and any move you make kills babies but if you don't move a giant boulder kills you and more babies.

its available on multiple systems and pc/nintendo in the case of 1. with likely the rest of the series to follow pc wise.

psp psvita and ps4.

multiplat as well

outside the xillias all of them are multiplat. and considering like disgaea they have started rolling out pc releases its inevitable more titles are soon to join them.

you don't have a pc that's less than 4-5 years old? or in general.

so5 is multiplat as well (though its not getting a ps3 release in na)
I probably should been more specific. I meant recent releases for those series, and I meant current gen home consoles. None of those series I mentioned have had a non-Sony console release in at least 3 years (Tales) and for the rest, over 5 years.

I'm aware that several of them are on PC, but I was referring more to specific consoles. My point was that someone who likes JRPGs would be more likely to buy a PS4 over a Wii U or an X1 because there are a lot more of them on the PS4.

I got some spam from VGP, Gal Gun is getting a "Launch Edition":

https://www.videogamesplus.ca/newsletter-highlights-galgun-c-45_748_856.html

It's not a free launch upgrade, it's a extra $10CAD cost for an artbook. Which is a fair deal I suppose, but Gal Gun now has 6 North American versions. I really want Gal Gun, but I doubt the milking is done, I'm waiting for some CE to pop up on sale.
I actually ordered this version a few weeks back, as I couldn't justify the HUGE cost Rice was charging for some panties. All I wanted was the art book any way, so this was a perfect option.

BTW what are the 6 NA versions being released? I just see the standard game on Amazon.

I actually ordered this version a few weeks back, as I couldn't justify the HUGE cost Rice was charging for some panties. All I wanted was the art book any way, so this was a perfect option.

BTW what are the 6 NA versions being released? I just see the standard game on Amazon.
He's probably counting the both platforms as part of the 6. So there's the standard one that Amazon has, the big one that Rice has, and the one with just the art book in Canada, each on 2 platforms.

He's probably counting the both platforms as part of the 6. So there's the standard one that Amazon has, the big one that Rice has, and the one with just the art book in Canada, each on 2 platforms.
Oh, that makes sense. I'm happy to get the one I did, and if Rice ever has a good sale, I might double dip.

So what platform are you guys getting Gal Gun on? I know the PS4 version will look really good visually, but I kinda feel like maybe this type of game is better suited for Vita. I'm not sure on which one to get the game for yet.

So what platform are you guys getting Gal Gun on? I know the PS4 version will look really good visually, but I kinda feel like maybe this type of game is better suited for Vita. I'm not sure on which one to get the game for yet.
I pre-ordered it for the Vita to better hide my perverted nature. That and I have to agree with you that it feels more like a Vita game. Usually, given the option between PS3/4 and the Vita, I tend to play my Vita more often, so the game will get more TLC.

Has anyone had their ship date on Amazon for the Zero Time Dilemma LE updated yet? Mine is still blank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm getting the CE for PS4. I might pick up the Vita version eventually. Like most games released on both PS4 and Vita I tend to lean PS4 just because I want the "best" version, but I enjoy playing my Vita more usually, so maybe I should change that at some point.

If it's on PS3 and Vita I usually lean Vita, since I don't expect much of a difference. Trails of Cold Steel 2 I'll get on Vita, for example.

So what platform are you guys getting Gal Gun on?
Vita for me, as I don't own a PS4 yet, and I've always been a handheld player when and where possible, so I'm getting the art book DLC bundle from VGP. This is my first order with them, as I've had some bad shipping issues with Rice, so I opted for trying these guys out instead.

Psycho Pass: Mandatory Happiness for PS4 and PS Vita Gets a New Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIV6hN1mHtU

Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack rated in Australia

Azure Striker Gunvolt Pack seemingly headed westward.

The Idolmaster: Platinum Stars Gets New Trailer Starring Haruka Amami

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1ZawdNQOGA

Cygames Next 2016 new title presentation event set for August 21

Toukiden 2’s Latest Weapon Introduction Video Shows Off The “Bow”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2j6PEfi4yY

Yo-kai Watch 3 Video Gives Us A Look Into Its Battle System

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFTCGBUYWsg

I actually remembered this time. A few Game Informer articles about Persona 5 and Star Ocean 5. The Persona 5 one has a few nice origin and story details that I have not seen before, possibly because I don't read about it much. Star Ocean 5 seems to have a very positive reaction of it's gameplay system, so that's nice. Also threw in the Overwatch review, since it got a perfect 10, been a while since I seen that. Uncharted 4 on the other hand got a 9.5. 

Persona 5

z4KhKDj.jpg

Star Ocean 5

3erMxaI.jpg

Overwatch

0s15mOE.jpg

Yeah I'm actually in the middle of watching the Psycho Pass anime and I absolutely love it so far.  Top-notch cyberpunk sci-fi anime is my favorite.

I actually would of almost kinda enjoyed Mighty No. 9 except for a few key elements.

First off you have the Megaman X dash but you can't wall grab so if you fuck the dash your dead. Second there is no invincibility damage for spikes if you get hit so when you get hit by bad enemy placements. Third the whole boss system where once you get a boss down to x health you have to dash to permanently remove it. It wouldn't be such a problem except for the one boss that files so you can't reach him half the time.

Overall it's just a bunch of bad design choices that ruin it. There are cheap deaths in a lot of places and the whole boss system ruins it. I would also like I add I have played through Megaman 1-10, X 1-3, and a bunch of other Megaman games and have never had a problem with level design.

The level design sounds like it's on par with Mega Man X6,which was so badly designed you couldn't beat some stages if you didn't have a certain armor equipped.

I probably should been more specific. I meant recent releases for those series, and I meant current gen home consoles. None of those series I mentioned have had a non-Sony console release in at least 3 years (Tales) and for the rest, over 5 years.

I'm aware that several of them are on PC, but I was referring more to specific consoles. My point was that someone who likes JRPGs would be more likely to buy a PS4 over a Wii U or an X1 because there are a lot more of them on the PS4.
You think there will be alot more of them on the ps4. Though even if there are eventually that's not much of a reason to pick them up except for the people who don't own a decent computer or any other sony systems. As I already noted the ps4 lacks exclusives since it shares the majority of its library with pc and the vita/ps3. Also technically since the vita tv exists it counts as a console.

PC is an absolute last resort for picking up a game for me. I only use it for exclusives which are generally indie stuff.

You think there will be alot more of them on the ps4. Though even if there are eventually that's not much of a reason to pick them up except for the people who don't own a decent computer or any other sony systems. As I already noted the ps4 lacks exclusives since it shares the majority of its library with pc and the vita/ps3. Also technically since the vita tv exists it counts as a console.
The 3ds wins on the exclusive jrpgs that are actually good front. As a jrpg fan I have seen literally nothing of note on the ps4 until now. There's going to be an influx of good titles coming out for it soon though.

bread's done
Back