Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh, a complete Rorona Plus in the wild is my white whale. For some reason every Gamestop in my area has completely scrambled this game up - standard game w/ Plus price sticker, Plus disk but no case, or what I ended up with - Plus disk & manual but the case for the standard version. And a manager that I've known for a really long time now called to every store in the region that showed having it in stock to find that. :whistle2:|
Should of jumped as soon as they listed it and escha as 18 "new". Only store that had both was 40 minutes away :(

Catering to nostalgia via mid-tier digital-only pricing, and horrendous load times for those regions to even receive the portable option.

What could go wrong?
So $2 million USD loss? Even put into currency I can understand a little better, losing $2 mil on that game seems ridiculous seeing as it's not exactly Final Fantasy XV quality cinematic, and development team size. I enjoyed playing it and plan to 100% the game, but wow. I feel a little bad for Tokyo RPG Factory.

Ugh, a complete Rorona Plus in the wild is my white whale. For some reason every Gamestop in my area has completely scrambled this game up - standard game w/ Plus price sticker, Plus disk but no case, or what I ended up with - Plus disk & manual but the case for the standard version. And a manager that I've known for a really long time now called to every store in the region that showed having it in stock to find that. :whistle2:|
Same thing happened to me except for Yakuza 2. When it was cheapish at Gamestop, 2 showed it in stock. Each had the Yakuza 2 case but the Yakuza 1 game in it. I wish I bought that one on release but I was a poor college student mainly getting his games through Goozex.

It was a mistake for them to not release physical editions for I am Setsuna.   They are clearly out of touch with their fanbase. Lots of people want this game and nobody bought it.

It was a mistake for them to not release physical editions for I am Setsuna. They are clearly out of touch with their fanbase. Lots of people want this game and nobody bought it.
This^

Just like most people who are here, I too am waiting for the physical edition.

Glad I waited, I'll be happy to buy this in a few weeks for 10-20$

It was a mistake for them to not release physical editions for I am Setsuna. They are clearly out of touch with their fanbase. Lots of people want this game and nobody bought it.

This^

Just like most people who are here, I too am waiting for the physical edition.
Do people even read articles any more? It said end of March 2016 so Western sale isn't included.

Final Fantasy XV DLCs Detailed: 6 Packs Including Probable Story Content Included in the Season Pass

“FFXV Booster Pack” (DLC1) (provisional)
“FFXV Episode Gladiolus” (DLC2) (provisional)
“FFXV Holiday Pack” (DLC3) (provisional)
“FFXV Episode Ignis” (DLC4) (provisional)
“FFXV Episode Prompto” (DLC5) (provisional)
“FFXV Expansion Pack” (DLC6) (provisional)

Trails of Cold Steel II Launches Official Website With Drama CD Script

Kamigokuto: Mary Skelter Gets New Battle Ready Screenshots

Burning Edge Shows Off its Violent Gameplay in Two New Trailers

why they didn't make rorona plus part of that is beyond me.
Rorona Plus was released by KT. NISA only has rights to the original release.

Argh!

"We’re sorry your package is late. If it hasn’t arrived by Saturday, Aug 6, please come back for more options."

Baka Amazon and UPS. I was really hoping to get Galgun yesterday.

So those of you that ordered on Amazon and got it already, it didn't come with the preorder bonuses(artbook&DLC) right? I'm not really expecting it to but was hoping.

SN6 Vita getting a LE is great and all, but I'm wondering more about whether they'll do a better job with the localization than what the package will look like.

I'm not even remotely surprised at the FFXV DLC. With the amount of resources that they have thrown at this game (with the anime, movie, mobile game, years of development, etc.), they definitely need more avenues outside of the actual game purchase to help pull in as much revenue as possible. This is their titular game. They need to make a massive profit, imo.

Edit: Seems like according to 4chan and Neogaf, only the second DLC pack, Episode Gladiolus, is currently in development. So it really seems like the team started working on these just recently, after the main game was near completion. Makes sense.

SN6 Vita getting a LE is great and all, but I'm wondering more about whether they'll do a better job with the localization than what the package will look like.
It's Vic Ireland. For the most part the translation will be passable. However he likes to insert stupid shit into dialogue at random that can really kill the dialogue at times. Sometimes I feel like he asks a 10-year old if something if funny and if not, then he changes it until the child finds it funny. Here's an example below on the kind of dialogue he likes to write:

[customspoiler='Example']Direct Link to Example

RSwxFZI.jpg
[/customspoiler]

Some people like it, some people don't. I'm of the type who is glad it's in English but would really prefer someone like Atlus or XSeed to translate it. Hell, I'd probably take Nintendo's Treehouse translations over Vic.

It's Vic Ireland. For the most part the translation will be passable. However he likes to insert stupid shit into dialogue at random that can really kill the dialogue at times. Sometimes I feel like he asks a 10-year old if something if funny and if not, then he changes it until the child finds it funny. Here's an example below on the kind of dialogue he likes to write:

[customspoiler='Example']Direct Link to Example

RSwxFZI.jpg
[/customspoiler]

Some people like it, some people don't. I'm of the type who is glad it's in English but would really prefer someone like Atlus or XSeed to translate it. Hell, I'd probably take Nintendo's Treehouse translations over Vic.
That translation...

lSt1P.gif

Argh!

"We’re sorry your package is late. If it hasn’t arrived by Saturday, Aug 6, please come back for more options."

Baka Amazon and UPS. I was really hoping to get Galgun yesterday.

So those of you that ordered on Amazon and got it already, it didn't come with the preorder bonuses(artbook&DLC) right? I'm not really expecting it to but was hoping.
I'm wondering the same thing. I didn't realize the LE was probably exclusive to VGP. I thought it was just a preorder thing until it was too late to cancel. Tried canceling on the 1st, but it was too late. I'll probably just refuse delivery and reorder when the price drops, but I'd rather do it with a note instead of having to go to the PO. Also, wondering about the misprint. I believe this E rating was only on the vita version, but not sure about this.

I'm wondering the same thing. I didn't realize the LE was probably exclusive to VGP. I thought it was just a preorder thing until it was too late to cancel. Tried canceling on the 1st, but it was too late. I'll probably just refuse delivery and reorder when the price drops, but I'd rather do it with a note instead of having to go to the PO. Also, wondering about the misprint. I believe this E rating was only on the vita version, but not sure about this.
The preorder bonus only has the artbook and dlc. Only saw it listed on videogamesplus.

https://www.videogamesplus.ca/galgun-double-peace-vgp-exclusive-launch-edition-artbook-costume-dlc-vita-free-shipping-p-23882.html

Picked this up from Amazon this week.   $12.82 + $3.99 shipping - Very Good.   I still have a good number of older PS1 and PS2 games I want to add to my collection.

IMG_2696_zpsqhxtygho.jpg

I think you misunderstood. We already suspected that it was probably VGP exclusive.

It's just that "launch edition" is a bit vague. Usually, "launch edition" just refers to the first print and is included at the same price. So we were wondering if anyone preordered from Amazon and received their copy already, and if by chance it included the bonuses and just wasn't mentioned because launch edition is a bit vague.

BUT...this guy did an unboxing from amazon and doesn't mention anything about it. So I guess there's the definite answer.

Guess I'm going to refuse mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5ag0LpCRu0

I think you misunderstood. We knew about this. We already suspect that it's probably VGP exclsuive.

We're wondering if anyone preordered from Amazon and received their copy already, and if by chance it included the bonuses and just wasn't mentioned because launch edition is a bit vague. Usually launch edition just refers to the first print and is included at the same price.

So basically, only people who preorded from Amazon and received their copy already can actually confirm/deny.

Also, wondering if it's only the PS Vita edition that had the misprinted ESRB rating.
It clearly says VGP Exclusive in the title of the listing, so it's not a "probably" or all that "vague", but almost certainly an exclusive to VGP.

There really should be no misunderstanding from something that is so clearly stated.

The listing is even more expensive than the regular edition listing, so it's clearly not just the traditional launch edition copy of a game, but really just VGP packaging things together to make it their own exclusive.

BUT...this guy did an unboxing from amazon and doesn't mention anything about it. So I guess there's the definite answer.

Guess I'm going to refuse mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5ag0LpCRu0
Yep.

It clearly says VGP Exclusive in the title of the listing, so it's not a "probably" or all that "vague", but almost certainly an exclusive to VGP.

There really should be no misunderstanding from something that is so clearly stated.

The listing is even more expensive than the regular edition listing, so it's clearly not just the traditional launch edition copy of a game, but really just VGP packaging things together to make it their own exclusive.

Yep.
Tales of Hearts R was gamestop exclusive that wasn't gamestop exclusive.

Tales of Hearts R was gamestop exclusive that wasn't gamestop exclusive.
Tales of Hearts R was technically still exclusive to GS, as none of the other large retailers, and not even Amazon. Who knows how where they even got their inventory from. The game was also considerably marked up when VGP had it listed, so it certainly wasn't just something they were able to easily obtain as a distributor for the game unlike GS. As far as official retail distributor, it was just GS and EB games. Let me repeat, official.

The other question is that the discussion was comparing different listings across different pages, and when one page notes is very specifically, and the other page notes nothing of the sort, I think it's safe to take the word of the storefront that has a very detailed, and specific description of the things included with their listing.

VGP made it very clear it was their exclusive, and in the end, it was proven as so.

There's no need to think otherwise.

The shipping box was just enough to cover the game's already large box. The LE box is long enough to fit the wall scroll inside and everything was loose inside with just a little bit of packing material to try to hold it together. It sounds bad but everything is in good shape. I'll put it this way for free shipping I'm impressed but I certainly won't be paying them the $30 they want for LEs now.
I just Googled around this morning wondering about details like this. I saw complaints from Europeans about contents being damaged with them rattling around in the random loose fill, and if the shipping box gets crushed in the slightest the artbox gets crushed. Seeing everything, and at $130 I'm happy I passed on this. Here's a youtube video if anyone care to see how they're sent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByNRtniMXvQ

SN6 Vita getting a LE is great and all,
Wait, what? They said a Vita version wasn't happening before, they flip-flopped? If there's 2 versions that *completely* changes my shipping requirements, and they clearly said there's no order cancellations which I'd need if I was to place 2 orders. What the fuck I'm more inclined to outright cancel my order.

I just Googled around this morning wondering about details like this. I saw complaints from Europeans about contents being damaged with them rattling around in the random loose fill, and if the shipping box gets crushed in the slightest the artbox gets crushed. Seeing everything, and at $130 I'm happy I passed on this. Here's a youtube video if anyone care to see how they're sent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByNRtniMXvQ

Wait, what? They said a Vita version wasn't happening before, they flip-flopped? If there's 2 versions that *completely* changes my shipping requirements, and they clearly said there's no order cancellations which I'd need if I was to place 2 orders. What the fuck I'm more inclined to outright cancel my order.
I think a lot of people are just fine with passing on it, but it makes me sadface to think that they wouldn't do a better job considering they're the ones distributing the games themselves. :(

As for SN6, I wouldn't necessarily say they flip flopped since it was originally Bamco that said that they themselves wouldn't bring it over, so if anything, it's being rescued by Gaijinworks, who have a history of bringing other games into our hands with a physical release, so good for them. ^__^

Luckily this release seems to be a more widespread retail release though, which will be way better than their previous releases. Just look at how crazy valuable Class of Heroes 2G is now, lol.

Tales of Hearts R was technically still exclusive to GS, as none of the other large retailers, and not even Amazon. Who knows how where they even got their inventory from. The game was also considerably marked up when VGP had it listed, so it certainly wasn't just something they were able to easily obtain as a distributor for the game unlike GS. As far as official retail distributor, it was just GS and EB games. Let me repeat, official.

The other question is that the discussion was comparing different listings across different pages, and when one page notes is very specifically, and the other page notes nothing of the sort, I think it's safe to take the word of the storefront that has a very detailed, and specific description of the things included with their listing.

VGP made it very clear it was their exclusive, and in the end, it was proven as so.

There's no need to think otherwise.
They were sold by Bandai Namco. It doesn't get any more official than that.

The average gamer doesn't know about VGP. I even saw a person from Canada think he had to order from Rice to get the physical version. PQube didn't even make it clear which retailer had the preorder bonuses. This even says preorder promotion for the "standard edition." So I don't think it's so incomprehensible that some one might ask if an Amazon preorder came with any sort of bonus.

People who are eying up the DLC or art book have another means of getting these items. There will be a pre-order promotion for Gal Gun: Double Peace’s standard edition. Some retailers will be offering the 98-page art book as their bonus, while others will offer the set of 5 extra costumes. PQube did not announce which stores will offer which pre-order promotion.

They were sold by Bandai Namco. It doesn't get any more official than that.

The average gamer doesn't know about VGP. I even saw a person from Canada think he had to order from Rice to get the physical version. PQube didn't even make it clear which retailer had the preorder bonuses. This even says preorder promotion for the "standard edition." So I don't think it's so incomprehensible that some one might ask if an Amazon preorder came with any sort of bonus.
Seeing how Bamco is the actual publisher, obviously they would sell it through their store front, so I don't consider them a distributor,but from a retail distribution front, they were still giving the rights to GS.

To your second comment, and the quote, first off, you're taking it from an article, and not to mention, those were just early ramblings, and nothing confirmed.

Not to mention, once it's actually on a stores website, and it's clearly stated in the description of what they are offering, I don't really understand how you can say they were unclear and "vague" about it, when it was clearly stated. There's a reason why there's two listings for Gal Gun on VGP, because one listing did include the extras, and the others did.

It's one thing to read about rumors from an article, it's another when it's clearly right in front of you, staring you in the face.

So in essence, yes, it is still a bit incomprehensible to believe that it would come with the "VGP Exclusive" bonuses on an Amazon order that has absolutely nothing of the sort listed in the description.

Now, if you just claimed it as incomprehensible, wishful thinking, that would be a different story.

Honestly though, I don't even remember why I got so offended over it in the beginning, but to me, it was very clear, and I just have a hard time believing it could be so confusing for others.

Seeing how Bamco is the actual publisher, obviously they would sell it through their store front, so I don't consider them a distributor,but from a retail distribution front, they were still giving the rights to GS.

To your second comment, and the quote, first off, you're taking it from an article, and not to mention, those were just early ramblings, and nothing confirmed.

Not to mention, once it's actually on a stores website, and it's clearly stated in the description of what they are offering, I don't really understand how you can say they were unclear and "vague" about it, when it was clearly stated. There's a reason why there's two listings for Gal Gun on VGP, because one listing did include the extras, and the others did.

It's one thing to read about rumors from an article, it's another when it's clearly right in front of you, staring you in the face.

So in essence, yes, it is still a bit incomprehensible to believe that it would come with the "VGP Exclusive" bonuses on an Amazon order that has absolutely nothing of the sort listed in the description.

Now, if you just claimed it as incomprehensible, wishful thinking, that would be a different story.
Early ramblings? It was less than two months ago from a reputable source. It's not even worth discussing this with you anymore. Basically, your view is that anyone who read an article from a reputable source claiming that the standard edition would come with a bonus and then asking other people, who had received their copy already, if they got any sort of bonus, is a moron. Also. I did specifically say did it "by chance" include a bonus. I wasn't even the only person asking. Just because Amazon didn't say it included a bonus doesn't mean it doesn't include a bonus. Amazon didn't mention every time a game box contained an online pass. Again the average gamer doesn't know about VGP. Canadian Prices are inflated in general. Cars manufactured in Canada and then shipped to the US cost less in the US than they do in Canada and it's not just the exchange rate. And "exclusivity" itself is relative. There are timed exclusives. Games claim they are exclusive to one console and then come out on another one. Wolfenstein The Old Blood physical was exclusive to Europe and then it wasn't. TV shows are exclusive to different sources in different countries. Lastly, I could still buy a new copy of ToH:R today, at a fair price, from a retailer that isn't eb/gamestop or namco.

As for SN6, I wouldn't necessarily say they flip flopped since it was originally Bamco that said that they themselves wouldn't bring it over, so if anything, it's being rescued by Gaijinworks, who have a history of bringing other games into our hands with a physical release, so good for them. ^__^
I'm not talking about the simple physical release. I'm talking about the $150 Limited Edition, which was put up for the PS4, clearly stated there would be no Vita LE, and preorder cancellations would be impossible.

I'm fine with a Vita LE happening, I'm sure there are people that want it and I'm happy for them. And I do want it myself. But I've already been sold something under false pretenses, and if I want to jump in any deeper I'm maybe looking at an extra $40 in costs over and above the LE price.

T

Early ramblings? It was less than two months ago from a reputable source. It's not even worth discussing this with you anymore. Basically, your view is that anyone who read an article from a reputable source claiming that the standard edition would come with a bonus and then asking other people, who had received their copy already, if they got any sort of bonus, is a moron. Also. I did specifically say did it "by chance" include a bonus. I wasn't even the only person asking. Just because Amazon didn't say it included a bonus doesn't mean it doesn't include a bonus. Amazon didn't mention every time a game box contained an online pass. Again the average gamer doesn't know about VGP. And "exclusivity" itself is relative. Look at TV shows. They are exclusive to different sources in different countries. Lastly, I could could still buy a new copy of ToH:R from a retailer today that isn't eb/gamestop or namco.
Actually, what you said was, "probably" and "vague", when all indication says otherwise. And clearly it's not worth discussing it with me anymore as you still aren't making any valid argument to strengthen your initial interpretations on whether or not it'd include the "Exclusive" bonuses offered by VGP. Basically your view is that anybody who is seemingly reputable, and claims something without any evidence is reliable, and even though a website that clearly states the exclusivity of something in clearly written language is incorrect because an article says otherwise. And congratulations to you on Tales of Hearts R. I'm sure that has plenty of bearing on this situation, and should be equally weighted as such. It doesn't really matter what you compare it to in the past, as it's already happened, and it's not even the same game. In this case, there is no "probably" or "vague", but a very evident, and clear answer in the listing itself that shows that there shouldn't have been any confusion. We're talking about now. Not an article in the past. Not a game that had a similar tag line. Now. If we had this argument months ago, before the game came out, maybe you would have more of a footing to stand on, but that's the past, and we're in the present now.

Your argument, and your reasoning is flawed, as you have really offered no actual evidence that the bonuses could pop up anywhere else other than the fact it was mentioned in an article. We have the evidence now.

And I remember exactly what irked me to begin with, with one of your initial comments, and that was your response to Motaku, who noted that,

and that should have been enough to understand that it was indeed an exclusive, because it's even written in the link. Motaku misunderstood nothing, and clearly answered your question, yet you still could not grasp that it's only for VGP because of an article that made claims that's not backed up by any evidence, and in fact vague, and unclear in itself. You are treating your incomprehensible, wishful thinking as a source of evidence, which is what irks me. Just admit that you were just optimistically hoping for there to be a bonus, but not one that was based on any actual evidence, which you seem to be claiming you have for the bonuses to be there on Amazon.

In any case, it doesn't look like either of us will give any ground on this discussion, so at this point, meh.

Well my Yakuza 5 has been downloading for 2 hours now and it's at 61% of 23gb.  This is fine.  The all-digital future is fine. 

bread's done
Back