Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do people keep contacting Amazon about the watch? They don't have them so there is nothing They can do for you till they get them.
Because people have no patience! LOL

I agree, until Aksys announces the watches have arrived, people are just wasting time, and possibly boning themselves out of the watch altogether.

Ahhgghgh.

I hate these Rice Digital limited editions. $30 for shipping is f*ckin' nuts! Why!? Why are US limited editions exclusive to a EU shop?
I'll assume someone at Rice as connections with the developer, and this is the end game. Everything in life is who you know, and what money can get for you, this is a perfect example of that philosophy, sadly!

Steins;Gate 0 Amadeus Edition Announced:

http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/steinsgate-0-collectors-edition-amadeus-edition-announced-rice-digital-exclusive/

sg0-pre-order-bonus-presenter-psd-950x534.jpg
The real question is.. PS4 or Vita?

..Or both?

I'm leaning toward getting the CE for one version (probably Vita), and getting the standard of the PS4 version from Amazon.

Just going to wait until VGP puts up their own special exclusive version most likely.
Yeah, I'm planning to do the same. All I really want is the art book anyways, so hopefully they at least have that. Otherwise I may have to go the Rice route.........Nah, just kidding. LOL

Bandai having a digital sale right now at their store. All steam keys. Good sale on two Tales games.

Tales of Zestiria - $7.99 

Tales of Symphonia - $7.99

There's other stuff on sale like Dragonball Z, One Piece and Dark Souls, but this might be an all time low for Zestiria. Make sure you look up mods for the Tales games (to unlock FPS for example) because the PC ports weren't exactly amazing.

Eh, Zestiria was a pretty good port. I wouldn't lump it in the same category as the shitty Symphonia port. I wonder if they did much to fix that or just left it up to the PC community.

Yeah, I'm planning to do the same. All I really want is the art book anyways, so hopefully they at least have that. Otherwise I may have to go the Rice route.........Nah, just kidding. LOL
You joke, but I'm actually battling myself right now not to cave and order these fuckin' things... the Valkyrie Drive and Stein's;Gate 0 limited editions, I mean.

September is already raping my wallet, too :\

You joke, but I'm actually battling myself right now not to cave and order these fuckin' things... the Valkyrie Drive and Stein's;Gate 0 limited editions, I mean.

If you want the LE stuff....and have the money go for it.....I kind of grew over the LE craze and just want to play and collect games now. Course every now and then the price is good and extras decent enough where I get the LE anyway.

If you want the LE stuff....and have the money go for it.....I kind of grew over the LE craze and just want to play and collect games now. Course every now and then the price is good and extras decent enough where I get the LE anyway.
I don't really have the money to justify it, but most of the time I let my "collector's OCD" get the best of me.

Not even sure why I want LEs... I hardly have any space left for them... and to be honest, I don't really do much with the contents.

*sigh*

I don't really have the money to justify it, but most of the time I let my "collector's OCD" get the best of me.

Not even sure why I want LEs... I hardly have any space left for them... and to be honest, I don't really do much with the contents.

*sigh*
I've stated before how I don't mind high shipping cost, when items are packaged properly, but these guys are charging your first born prices for these items, and then shipping them the same broken way of the past.

I can personally get behind one or the other, but paying such expensive cost, for a more than likely damaged LE set, I have to draw a line somewhere. At least with free shipping, I can't say to much about the poor packaging, but for $30, it should arrive express and "perfect".

The last Stein's Gate got tons of variations from Rice over the course of it's sales life, so I'll just have to wait and hope a better deal comes along. Or, I'll go with a reseller in the UK who I can make sure will ship this properly, and then I won't mind paying the extra dollars to them if need be.

Eh, Zestiria was a pretty good port. I wouldn't lump it in the same category as the shitty Symphonia port. I wonder if they did much to fix that or just left it up to the PC community.
I do know that Zestiria had a 60fps mod ,and Symphonia was the worst port of these two but supposedly they are working on a patch to fix the issues

That Steins;Gate 0 LE looks nice, but I'll likely settle for the regular edition.

I might have money to spare for LEs, but not Rice Digital LEs. 

Why do people keep contacting Amazon about the watch? They don't have them so there is nothing They can do for you till they get them.
For the partial refunds for the traumatic experience silly.

Bandai having a digital sale right now at their store. All steam keys. Good sale on two Tales games.

Tales of Zestiria - $7.99

Tales of Symphonia - $7.99

There's other stuff on sale like Dragonball Z, One Piece and Dark Souls, but this might be an all time low for Zestiria. Make sure you look up mods for the Tales games (to unlock FPS for example) because the PC ports weren't exactly amazing.
Sweet! That's a great price for Zestiria.

Aww nevermind.

"Sorry, your order cannot be completed. There is no stock anymore for this product."

Did they really run out of steam keys? Lies I tell you.

Btw, there's a PSN flash sale going on now. Some decent stuff.

Hurts me not to get SG0 but can't justify the RiceDigital markup ... Has the trophy list been announced yet? If so does it share between Ps4 and Vita or does each have its own list?

I'm going all digital with PSVR. I will not be leaving my chair to switch from Miku, to Dead or Alive, to some flight simulator. 

For the partial refunds for the traumatic experience silly.

Sweet! That's a great price for Zestiria.

Aww nevermind.

"Sorry, your order cannot be completed. There is no stock anymore for this product."

Did they really run out of steam keys? Lies I tell you.

Btw, there's a PSN flash sale going on now. Some decent stuff.
Woah, they've already modded 4K textures into Symphonia although the 30FPS is still there. Hey, that's better than say...No Man's Sky on PC? I just bought Symphonia on PC to check it out. And since I just got a Gamecube copy of Sypmhonia yesterday, I'm going to compare the two of them side-by-side.

Try again Motaku...You still might be able to get it.

Hurts me not to get SG0 but can't justify the RiceDigital markup ... Has the trophy list been announced yet? If so does it share between Ps4 and Vita or does each have its own list?
PS4 and Vita have separate trophy lists according to the compendium at PSProfiles.com. Looks like US and UK versions have separate lists too so you could plat this game 6 times if you want, like the first one.

I caved and bought both of them together. In my mind I justified it as paying $15 shipping each rather than $30 each, but man, September is going to be rough.

Woah, they've already modded 4K textures into Symphonia although the 30FPS is still there. Hey, that's better than say...No Man's Sky on PC? I just bought Symphonia on PC to check it out. And since I just got a Gamecube copy of Sypmhonia yesterday, I'm going to compare the two of them side-by-side.

Try again Motaku...You still might be able to get it.
pc version is based on the ps2 version. so they are quite a bit different.

I do know that Zestiria had a 60fps mod ,and Symphonia was the worst port of these two but supposedly they are working on a patch to fix the issues
zesty got those mods eventually. But didn't have them to begin with. It also had frequent crashing issues, save bugs among other things.

PS4 and Vita have separate trophy lists according to the compendium at PSProfiles.com. Looks like US and UK versions have separate lists too so you could plat this game 6 times if you want, like the first one.
Is it known if the two versions support cross-save? I'm guessing separate trophy lists generally result in no cross-save (although I think Senran Kagura Estival Versus pulled it off)

Is it known if the two versions support cross-save?
They don't just like the JP versions.

Persona 5 Shows What It’s Like Working at a Cafe in New Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9QHaYIkWRY

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 Screenshots and Trailer Show Majin Vegeta and More

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1_IhGJVSxo

NieR: Automata Will Take “a Lot Longer” than 25 Hours to Finish; Side-Quests Detailed

Ni-Oh: Watch 24 Minutes of Spectacular and Brutal Gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtCZGfYGJFc

Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 Shows Characters and Skills in New English Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMjIUKXEOzs

I f*cked up by waiting to order Criminal Girls 2 LE. It says there's 0-5% left in stock, but won't let me put in an order :\

Man, there's soooo many CEs for Japanese games up for order, now. Shit's getting impossible to keep up with.

I f*cked up by waiting to order Criminal Girls 2 LE. It says there's 0-5% left in stock, but won't let me put in an order :\

Man, there's soooo many CEs for Japanese games up for order, now. Shit's getting impossible to keep up with.
Agreed, get what you want and some stuff will drop....even if t's like $10-20 for the SE.

Check back during the week or two following release. They might have cancellations / billing failures they'll restock with.

As an aside, thanks for this thread AugustAPC: https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/357745-smallerobscurelimited-physical-release-deals-and-discussion-thread/

I didn't know Anima had a physical release (looks like it was exclusive to the UK), but I'll probably grab one now, thanks!

Check back during the week or two following release. They might have cancellations / billing failures they'll restock with.

As an aside, thanks for this thread AugustAPC: https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/357745-smallerobscurelimited-physical-release-deals-and-discussion-thread/

I didn't know Anima had a physical release (looks like it was exclusive to the UK), but I'll probably grab one now, thanks!
Yea, I've been periodically trying to place orders for it. Hoping i get lucky.

Glad the thread helped you. I've found so many games that I didn't know had physical releases by just browsing gaming forums and seeing people mention them in passing.

There really isn't shit this week on the Japanese front outside of King of Fighters. On the western front, we have Deus Ex: Mankind Divided as a new release and N++ being ported to PC.

Other stuff that released without warning last week that are all on PC/Steam:
- Flowers -Le volume sur printemps- (Visual Novel / Yuri)
- My Butler (Visual Novel / Otome)
- Wish -tale of the sixteenths night of lunar month- (Visual Novel)

Weekly Releases (August 21st - August 27th)

King of Fighters XIV

- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Fighting
- Demo: Yes.
- Online: Yes.

Mugen Souls Z

- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: RPG
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A

- Comments: Yes, expect it censored. Previously released on the PS3.

Starr Mazer: DSP

- Genre: SHMUP

- Comments: Early access. Also not Japanese, but inspired by.

SHINRAI - Broken Beyond Despair

- Genre: Visual Novel / Murder Mystery

- Comments: Probably not Japanese.

Cat President ~A More Purrfect Union~

- Genre: Visual Novel

- Comments: Totally not Japanese. Adding it for the hell of it. It's probably bad.

Sakura Shrine Girls

- Genre: Visual Novel

- Comments: Another Sakura game.

Past Releases

August 14th - August 20th

August 7th - August 13th

July 31st - August 6th

July 24th - July 30th

July 17th - July 23rd

Not sure how I missed that. I guess I'm tired enough from being dragged around by my niece for ten hours yesterday to have overlooked it.

The Granblue Fantasy x Platinum game better be good.

It looks better than Nier so far, but it also looks more straight up hack and slash.

bread's done
Back