Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
NISA's Silver Case LE is up:

http://store.nisamerica.com/silver-case

Anyone care to share impressions on this game that might've already played the PC version?

I don't mind visual novels. They aren't my favorite genre, but Steins;Gate is easily one of my favorite games.

Is this one amazing, simply good, or kind of bad just with Suda51 style?

Sounds like the LE is exclusive, but I'm assuming the standard edition isn't. Correct me if I'm wrong!

I haven't played it nor really plan to. I think nitrosmob was buying the PC physical edition but don't think he's played it yet and was likely your best bet for impressions. It really had to suck that they announced the console edition on the final day of LRG pre-orders.

Anyways, Steam's Halloween Sale has started and runs until Tuesday's store update. If there are any Halloween-like themed games or games with themed updates that interest you, they should be on sale. Examples being Resident Evil or Zero Time Dilemma. If you're wanting to know if its the lowest its been or close to it, then used Enhanced Steam and/or the site isthereanydeal.com.

We'll likely get the Autumn Sale around Thanksgiving and the Holiday Sale around Christmas/New Years which are often fairly decent sales outside of the Summer Sale.

Well, since it sounds like you want my own insight into the characters, I'll oblige. I think Cloyd is the only other one here who's gone through or going through Cold Steel II.

Cold Steel II Spoilers (Character retrospect, so full-game spoilers):

Primary Characters:

Alisa Reinford - Alisa was most definitely written to be the main love interest, that much is obvious. There's not much to say about it but since they didn't exactly end up a couple during the course of the game makes me think that they are planned to get together further down the timeline. She gets doted on the most by far and for the reason stated above. Pretty straight forward, not much to say.

Laura Arseid - She isn't exactly a "friendly competitor". When it comes to swords, she's deadly serious all the time and love doesn't come into the equation. Think Samurai honor. She was also brought up on the legend of the Lance Maiden and pledging ones self to someone who she deems a worthy figure. She wants to be Rean's sword because she feels that he's the first person she has met which fits that description for her that could use her help. She really likes/loves him, but I don't believe it's to the level of a lifetime love partner as opposed to knight pledging allegiance to their lord.

Emma Millstein - Emma is somewhat bland and there isn't a whole lot to say about her. She's similar to Rean in some ways and is half as troubled by it. She attached herself to Rean mostly because he pushed the right buttons at the right time, mostly thanks to everybody else kept pushing Rean along and he used their advice on her. Their final bonding events together seem a little hollow when you look at it that way and it's rather sad despite the whole exchange of words.

Fie Claussell - Yes, she sees Rean as Zephyr's leader in a number of ways. A leading figure who makes decisions and shields their allies as necessary. I'm not entirely convinced this is love in a romantic way as opposed to it being a familial kind of love you would have for an older sibling.

Millium Orion - Millium doesn't really understand the concept of romantic love yet. She's still very much an adolescent child. She's also not really Ouroboros, but was created/born in the Black Workshop. However unlike Altina, she doesn't seem to be on "loan" from there. It's left unknown, but I would guess that she was taken/given or bought as Osborn seems to have some kind of working relationship with the Black Factory. Now I'm not entirely sure if the Black Workshop is the Thirteen Factories (Ouroboros), just a small part of it or some kind of separate entity that works with them. I know it's mentioned in both Trails in the Sky SC & Cold Steel II. I'm hoping Trails in the Sky the Third will clear up some of this for me. The ending will show that she's capable of emotional growth though.

Sara Valestein - She sees herself as a mentor/older sister to Rean. However sometimes when she teases him, he manages to hit a few suave lines that hit her pretty heavily, however Sara refuses to let it get into any kind of relationship beyond student and teacher. She says maybe in the future down the line if he becomes her type of suave guy, but until then she wouldn't let herself go that far. I believe her fixation comes from Cassius Bright as he was the one who resolved the bombing incident in Heimdallr that she was a part of and part of her reason for becoming a Bracer with the other part being Beatrix. (I think anyways, some context is provided and exact dialogue details are a little foggy for me)

Sub Characters:

Elise Schwarzer - Yes, essentially she's a bro-con. I'd say it's 50/50 whether or not she would actually pursue anything though. She clearly has feelings for him and wants the best, but I'm not sure she would be able to push herself for it without outside help. She really wants him to be a Schwarzer and to find his own happiness even if it means leaving her. Mostly she steps in because she realizes that Rean is trying to leave due to his own personal guilt and self-doubt.

Sharon Kreuger - She doesn't want Rean at all. She really enjoys teasing people. This is a common trait of dominatrix, which she totally is. Ultimately I don't think she really cares if Rean ends up with Alisa or not. Yes, she wants Alisa to be happy, but it doesn't have to be Rean. If Rean did something unforgivable to Alisa, I feel that she would dismember him in a very slow and agonizing way.

Claire Rieveldt - She does't seem to actually want into his pants. I feel that after beating the game that she sees herself more as an older sister figure than anything. It's also entirely possible that she could really be his biological sister, however that's just speculation.

Towa Herschel - She was actually a last minute addition to the cast (Essentially a Falcom Mascot creation). You can tell this because she wasn't written into Ao/Zero for when the Crossbell Conference took place over there. She's the dutiful type who's good at everything and seemingly likes people who would closely help and work with her. Due to the whole student council thing, yes they got rather close and she develops feelings for him. However she bottles it up and just acts as a comfort figure. She has no issue throwing aside her feelings to make him happy.

Alfin Reise Arnor - Her teasing is definitely a trait gained from being around her brother, Prince Olivert. However seeing through her and cheering her up when she was down hit her pretty hard. Not to mention the events that took place during the intermission. It started with a curiosity because of Elise, her friend and ends up being a bit of a crush. It's a potential match, but not one Rean would go for because of his own inhibitions. She also understands her position and would never force Rean into any kind of relationship by publicly asking him.

Other Characters:

Rosine - Eh, I don't really see it. At most I could see her thinking of Rean as a friend, potentially good friend and nothing more. Rean does have some dirty thoughts about her on the other hand though.

Vivi - She is after anybody who can make her laugh and isn't mean to her sister, Linde. She'd be totally fine with Rean but doesn't really seem interested in pursuing any kind of relationship at the moment because she's having too much fun screwing around.

Dorothee - She doesn't want into Rean's pants, but she does want Valimar into his pants. Maybe Jusis, Elliot, Machias or even Patrick too. If she hasn't written a book by the end of Cold Steel II with regards to this, then I'd be shocked.

There are a few "I love you" thrown around in some final character events, however Japan has three versions of "love" that mean different things. Unfortunately English doesn't. While XSeed did great translating it, I do kind of wonder how the final bonding scenes that have that were worded in Japanese.

There's also a Neogaf thread on the game with a bunch of discussion/insight into some things. I don't have an account, so I don't post there, but here it is if you want to read others opinions. Oh and you should slap your brother just because.
Yeah, I'm currently spending a little too much time on random trophies and trial chests right. I plan on putting more time on the actual story and starting the second playthrough this weekend. I've enjoyed both games and look forward to when Trails of Cold Steel III hopefully gets released.

Fie has been my right hand "man" and only out of the group whenever I must bring other people along. I enjoy her backstory and the relationship between her and Rean. I agree with your assessments of the characters and feel they're quite accurate. I feel like Rean and Alisa will end up together since they're working on Trails of Cold Steel III. I don't see them making it where you'll have a dating sim type ending where you can end with any girl. Some games a great to have side stories to build a relationship, but it's so dialog heavy, I think it would drag the game out too much.

So you haven't beaten the finale yet it sounds like (Based off of not being done with trial chests)? I'm sorry to break it to you but... [customspoiler='"wait! There's more.']You have the Divertissement, followed by the Epilogue after the Finale. Those will run you around 10 hours or so. Do not miss the hidden Anton quest in the Epilogue.[/customspoiler]

Not really spoilers, but eh. Oh and after the credits, the screen stays black for a long time. It did not freeze and do not reset. It takes a while to progress to the next screen for some reason. PS3 version anyways, not sure if it's the same for the Vita.

I really felt that Cold Steel's II Act 1 felt bloated. It should have been shortened and I feel like it was only that way because they split the story into two games. While CSI & CSII concludes its own story, the two games definitely feel like an FC (First Chapter) to the whole Erebonian story. If you don't understand what I mean now, you should by the time you are able to save your Clear Data.

I do want to play The Silver Case. I did get the PC LE version. I am going to play Myth first though as I bought it and it seemed like a good mystery to read for the Halloween weekend. I may go for The Silver Case as my next VN after Myth as Dracuriot left a very meh taste in my mouth. Game had high production values too just didn't gel with the story and hearing pretty much the same story with the main character 4 different ways was boring. After the first route I knew enough and just got bits and pieces in the other ones. The routes focused too much on the main character over the girls. Talking about Dracuriot, but yes The Silver Case feels very Suda and seems to have some mature storytelling. 

Well, since it sounds like you want my own insight into the characters, I'll oblige. I think Cloyd is the only other one here who's gone through or going through Cold Steel II.

Cold Steel II Spoilers (Character retrospect, so full-game spoilers):

Primary Characters:

Alisa Reinford - Alisa was most definitely written to be the main love interest, that much is obvious. There's not much to say about it but since they didn't exactly end up a couple during the course of the game makes me think that they are planned to get together further down the timeline. She gets doted on the most by far and for the reason stated above. Pretty straight forward, not much to say.

Laura Arseid - She isn't exactly a "friendly competitor". When it comes to swords, she's deadly serious all the time and love doesn't come into the equation. Think Samurai honor. She was also brought up on the legend of the Lance Maiden and pledging ones self to someone who she deems a worthy figure. She wants to be Rean's sword because she feels that he's the first person she has met which fits that description for her that could use her help. She really likes/loves him, but I don't believe it's to the level of a lifetime love partner as opposed to knight pledging allegiance to their lord.

Emma Millstein - Emma is somewhat bland and there isn't a whole lot to say about her. She's similar to Rean in some ways and is half as troubled by it. She attached herself to Rean mostly because he pushed the right buttons at the right time, mostly thanks to everybody else kept pushing Rean along and he used their advice on her. Their final bonding events together seem a little hollow when you look at it that way and it's rather sad despite the whole exchange of words.

Fie Claussell - Yes, she sees Rean as Zephyr's leader in a number of ways. A leading figure who makes decisions and shields their allies as necessary. I'm not entirely convinced this is love in a romantic way as opposed to it being a familial kind of love you would have for an older sibling.

Millium Orion - Millium doesn't really understand the concept of romantic love yet. She's still very much an adolescent child. She's also not really Ouroboros, but was created/born in the Black Workshop. However unlike Altina, she doesn't seem to be on "loan" from there. It's left unknown, but I would guess that she was taken/given or bought as Osborn seems to have some kind of working relationship with the Black Factory. Now I'm not entirely sure if the Black Workshop is the Thirteen Factories (Ouroboros), just a small part of it or some kind of separate entity that works with them. I know it's mentioned in both Trails in the Sky SC & Cold Steel II. I'm hoping Trails in the Sky the Third will clear up some of this for me. The ending will show that she's capable of emotional growth though.

Sara Valestein - She sees herself as a mentor/older sister to Rean. However sometimes when she teases him, he manages to hit a few suave lines that hit her pretty heavily, however Sara refuses to let it get into any kind of relationship beyond student and teacher. She says maybe in the future down the line if he becomes her type of suave guy, but until then she wouldn't let herself go that far. I believe her fixation comes from Cassius Bright as he was the one who resolved the bombing incident in Heimdallr that she was a part of and part of her reason for becoming a Bracer with the other part being Beatrix. (I think anyways, some context is provided and exact dialogue details are a little foggy for me)

Sub Characters:

Elise Schwarzer - Yes, essentially she's a bro-con. I'd say it's 50/50 whether or not she would actually pursue anything though. She clearly has feelings for him and wants the best, but I'm not sure she would be able to push herself for it without outside help. She really wants him to be a Schwarzer and to find his own happiness even if it means leaving her. Mostly she steps in because she realizes that Rean is trying to leave due to his own personal guilt and self-doubt.

Sharon Kreuger - She doesn't want Rean at all. She really enjoys teasing people. This is a common trait of dominatrix, which she totally is. Ultimately I don't think she really cares if Rean ends up with Alisa or not. Yes, she wants Alisa to be happy, but it doesn't have to be Rean. If Rean did something unforgivable to Alisa, I feel that she would dismember him in a very slow and agonizing way.

Claire Rieveldt - She does't seem to actually want into his pants. I feel that after beating the game that she sees herself more as an older sister figure than anything. It's also entirely possible that she could really be his biological sister, however that's just speculation.

Towa Herschel - She was actually a last minute addition to the cast (Essentially a Falcom Mascot creation). You can tell this because she wasn't written into Ao/Zero for when the Crossbell Conference took place over there. She's the dutiful type who's good at everything and seemingly likes people who would closely help and work with her. Due to the whole student council thing, yes they got rather close and she develops feelings for him. However she bottles it up and just acts as a comfort figure. She has no issue throwing aside her feelings to make him happy.

Alfin Reise Arnor - Her teasing is definitely a trait gained from being around her brother, Prince Olivert. However seeing through her and cheering her up when she was down hit her pretty hard. Not to mention the events that took place during the intermission. It started with a curiosity because of Elise, her friend and ends up being a bit of a crush. It's a potential match, but not one Rean would go for because of his own inhibitions. She also understands her position and would never force Rean into any kind of relationship by publicly asking him.

Other Characters:

Rosine - Eh, I don't really see it. At most I could see her thinking of Rean as a friend, potentially good friend and nothing more. Rean does have some dirty thoughts about her on the other hand though.

Vivi - She is after anybody who can make her laugh and isn't mean to her sister, Linde. She'd be totally fine with Rean but doesn't really seem interested in pursuing any kind of relationship at the moment because she's having too much fun screwing around.

Dorothee - She doesn't want into Rean's pants, but she does want Valimar into his pants. Maybe Jusis, Elliot, Machias or even Patrick too. If she hasn't written a book by the end of Cold Steel II with regards to this, then I'd be shocked.

There are a few "I love you" thrown around in some final character events, however Japan has three versions of "love" that mean different things. Unfortunately English doesn't. While XSeed did great translating it, I do kind of wonder how the final bonding scenes that have that were worded in Japanese.

There's also a Neogaf thread on the game with a bunch of discussion/insight into some things. I don't have an account, so I don't post there, but here it is if you want to read others opinions. Oh and you should slap your brother just because.
EVEN MORE SPOILERS

I forgot to mention that out of all of the "confession" scenes you can pull Rean only kisses one. Lol.

Regarding Elise, I doubt a relationship would...work. Just because the Nobles get defeated and start going along with Osborne at the end, old habits die hard and remember how nobles think about relationships they don't like? There are at least three scenarios (Machias' cousin, Annabelle's arranged marriage, and of course Baron Schwarzer taking in Rean as a son) where nobles like to meddle around people's lives and think "that's for the best" and all.

Most of all though, I doubt Rean will not see her for anything more or less than a sister. I'm going to guess it a no-go this time.

I also think Claire has more info on the whole story than she's ready to disclose (that one line she has right when Rean returns to Trista after the side story).

Wonder when Falcom will make those Towa plushies...the crazy thing is there's a chance that can be real. :lol:

Yeah, I'm currently spending a little too much time on random trophies and trial chests right. I plan on putting more time on the actual story and starting the second playthrough this weekend. I've enjoyed both games and look forward to when Trails of Cold Steel III hopefully gets released.

Fie has been my right hand "man" and only out of the group whenever I must bring other people along. I enjoy her backstory and the relationship between her and Rean. I agree with your assessments of the characters and feel they're quite accurate. I feel like Rean and Alisa will end up together since they're working on Trails of Cold Steel III. I don't see them making it where you'll have a dating sim type ending where you can end with any girl. Some games a great to have side stories to build a relationship, but it's so dialog heavy, I think it would drag the game out too much.
In that case, I'm sure you've got Fie all set up for the evasion rate? My bro worked around and I think he had her all the way up to 100% evasion. Makes counter attacks fantastic.

So you haven't beaten the finale yet it sounds like (Based off of not being done with trial chests)? I'm sorry to break it to you but... [customspoiler='"wait! There's more.']You have the Divertissement, followed by the Epilogue after the Finale. Those will run you around 10 hours or so. Do not miss the hidden Anton quest in the Epilogue.[/customspoiler]

Not really spoilers, but eh. Oh and after the credits, the screen stays black for a long time. It did not freeze and do not reset. It takes a while to progress to the next screen for some reason.

I really felt that Cold Steel's II Act 1 felt bloated. It should have been shortened and I feel like it was only that way because they split the story into two games. While CSI & CSII concludes its own story, the two games definitely feel like an FC (First Chapter) to the whole Erebonian story.
While not as funny as Sora SC's, Anton's episode is hilarious. I guess it's there all the way at the end to lighten up the mood.

Regarding the length of the two games: Xseed translated one of the drama CDs (where Laura does indeed knock Rean out the box) I believe that was an actual chapter cut from CS I because they wanted it to fit on the Vita. Kind of a mistake there. The first Yimir visit I felt had more plot going on than say...the first chapter where you're in Celdic. Some interesting things happened in Roer but...I dunno...

From what I see in CS II, it does seem like Act 1 is stretching out quite a bit.

I cannot say about the rest of the CSII length since my bro played it. I'm only 17 hours in and he beat it (rushing) in 100 hours. Combining CS 1 and 2... 200 hours long...Wow.

Considering the side story, bro and I were talking and we'd like to see more of the other games' characters cross over a bit more. Even considering say one chapter is in Erebonia's perspective and the other chapter is in Crossbell's perspective. Keep that going until the paths merge and carry the story from there. Of course there would be other complications to that should that happen. But hey if the Crossbell show up in CS II, why not again in III?

EVEN MORE SPOILERS

I forgot to mention that out of all of the "confession" scenes you can pull Rean only kisses one. Lol.

Regarding Elise, I doubt a relationship would...work. Just because the Nobles get defeated and start going along with Osborne at the end, old habits die hard and remember how nobles think about relationships they don't like? There are at least three scenarios (Machias' cousin, Annabelle's arranged marriage, and of course Baron Schwarzer taking in Rean as a son) where nobles like to meddle around people's lives and think "that's for the best" and all.

Most of all though, I doubt Rean will not see her for anything more or less than a sister. I'm going to guess it a no-go this time.

I also think Claire has more info on the whole story than she's ready to disclose (that one line she has right when Rean returns to Trista after the side story).

Wonder when Falcom will make those Towa plushies...the crazy thing is there's a chance that can be real. :lol:

In that case, I'm sure you've got Fie all set up for the evasion rate? My bro worked around and I think he had her all the way up to 100% evasion. Makes counter attacks fantastic.

While not as funny as Sora SC's, Anton's episode is hilarious. I guess it's there all the way at the end to lighten up the mood.

Regarding the length of the two games: Xseed translated one of the drama CDs (where Laura does indeed knock Rean out the box) I believe that was an actual chapter cut from CS I because they wanted it to fit on the Vita. Kind of a mistake there. The first Yimir visit I felt had more plot going on than say...the first chapter where you're in Celdic. Some interesting things happened in Roer but...I dunno...

From what I see in CS II, it does seem like Act 1 is stretching out quite a bit.

I cannot say about the rest of the CSII length since my bro played it. I'm only 17 hours in and he beat it (rushing) in 100 hours. Combining CS 1 and 2... 200 hours long...Wow.

Considering the side story, bro and I were talking and we'd like to see more of the other games' characters cross over a bit more. Even considering say one chapter is in Erebonia's perspective and the other chapter is in Crossbell's perspective. Keep that going until the paths merge and carry the story from there. Of course there would be other complications to that should that happen. But hey if the Crossbell show up in CS II, why not again in III?
I compiled about 130 hours in the first game, but it was mostly due to the fact that I missed a character profile update and had to do a 3rd playthrough. So far I'm about 60 hours into the second one. My Fie gets hit only a few times a fight, so she spends most if it counter attacking and rezzing the knocked out players. I do a poor job of battle strategizing, so I sometimes make them harder than they need to be. I don't doubt I'll end up putting about the same amount of time in Cold Steel 2.

The beginning did seem to drag on a little bit as I felt like some moments had a little "side quest' feel to them. I did like that you had some newer characters with you for awhile, if only for a short while. It does pick up a little better about 25 hours in. I did enjoy searching out for your friends I thought that
Alisa, and Fie
has the best reactions to finding you.

I've never played Trails of the Sky FC or SC. I have them both on my PC and plan to play them. Of course, after a break from both Trails of Cold steel releases since I played them almost back to back. I know very little of the storyline from those releases, but seem pretty cool from what little I've played. I'd love to see Ao and Zero no Kiseki released in the states at some point if only on PC. If not, I'll just quielty wait for the PSP translations for be released. Hopefully the popularity of the Trails releases will garner something for NA.

I've never played Trails of the Sky FC or SC. I have them both on my PC and plan to play them. Of course, after a break from both Trails of Cold steel releases since I played them almost back to back. I know very little of the storyline from those releases, but seem pretty cool from what little I've played. I'd love to see Ao and Zero no Kiseki released in the states at some point if only on PC. If not, I'll just quielty wait for the PSP translations for be released. Hopefully the popularity of the Trails releases will garner something for NA.
That's too bad. You had one of the best Trails in the Sky characters completely spoiled for you playing Cold Steel first. It doesn't kill the character as they're still awesome, but you won't be as surprised during a certain event. Also, Estelle is one of the best female leads ever.

As for the timeline, it's like this:

Direct link if CAG isn't enlarging properly. Not that its much bigger anyways.

kEyM3cg.jpg

It was on netflix but hasn't been on it for about a year or so. I guess it got relicensed if its back again. Alot of anime pop up and then vanish on netflix on a regular basis outside the ones licensed by them like 7 deadly sins, ajin and knights of sidonia as some examples.

edit

And I am not shocked by this

thumbs up for 7 sins. Its really good minus the excessive child molestation by the pedo main character and his buddy ban. Though they get around it somewhat since a number of characters are like 1000 years to make it less of a creep factor. Dub was pretty good as well. Shame the anime is slow going though I did hear it got renewed along with attack on titan d grayman and aslan. Howzers super likable and I'm glad he gets so much screen time in the anime since they don't feature him as much in the manga.

Once you finish the anime the manga is worth a read though its super far ahead of where the anime stopped at.
Really? I was looking at the manga for my wife. Only 16 published and the anime covered 12/13 of that.

So I want to play cold steel 2 right. I finished a single playthrough of #1 and unlocked half of Class 7 special events. What do I need to do on my 2nd playthrough, to get the most out of CS2? Fyi I want Alisa to be the main girl, do I have finish nightmare mode w her?

So I want to play cold steel 2 right. I finished a single playthrough of #1 and unlocked half of Class 7 special events. What do I need to do on my 2nd playthrough, to get the most out of CS2? Fyi I want Alisa to be the main girl, do I have finish nightmare mode w her?
There really isn't anything that makes it better per say, here's what carries over (Taken from Neogaf because this sites search sucks to find my past post about it):

It all depends on what your clear file contains!
Here are the details:

Rank A1: Silver Medal accessory (HP+500, EP+50)
Rank A0: Golden Medal accessory (can't be obtained otherwise, HP+1000, EP+100, STR, DEF, ATS and ADF+10)

Rean's level is 69 or lower: 100 of each sepith except mass, Attack 1, Zeram Powder
Rean's level is 70-79: 300 of each sepith except mass, Attack 1, Soul Blur, Zeram Powder
Rean's level is 80 or higher: 500 of each sepith except mass, Attack 1, Soul Blur, Saintly Force, Zeram Powder x2

Also if you had bonds with certain characters, there will be slight dialogues changes, but nothing too major.

Basically any quests you do in the first one on your latest playthrough will carry over some new dialogue for people you've done shit for previously. Plus getting either every characters bonding trophy or getting their bonding level to a certain point (not sure which) will slightly effect that characters dialogue early on, but not much.

You also don't need to do anything for Alisa with regards to a second playthrough on Nightmare difficulty unless you're going for trophies or just want to. In other words your actions will not change what she does in the second game. If I'm understanding you correctly anyways.

Anyone else who finished Cold Steel II have an issue with the pacing towards the end of the game? I was pleased with everything, but after the finale, I was ready to be finished. Hell, it really could have just ended there for me, and I would have been good. I found myself getting frustrated during the divertissement and epilogue because I just wanted to know how they were wrapping this one up. I was also upset with all the name-dropping in the divertissement, but that was because I really want the rest of the series to be localized so I can get the references.

Also, Laura > Alisa.

Anyone else who finished Cold Steel II have an issue with the pacing towards the end of the game? I was pleased with everything, but after the finale, I was ready to be finished. Hell, it really could have just ended there for me, and I would have been good. I found myself getting frustrated during the divertissement and epilogue because I just wanted to know how they were wrapping this one up. I was also upset with all the name-dropping in the divertissement, but that was because I really want the rest of the series to be localized so I can get the references.

Also, Laura > Alisa.
Fie > Laura

If you're doing all of the optional content then between that, talking to everybody and the shrines can make it feel dragged out. I felt that way somewhat, but took a short break after I finished the Finale so I didn't have that feeling continuing on.

And yeah, I can understand frustration with the Divertissement. WIthout the context of Trails of Zero/Azure, it will be lost on most of the people. However the final scenes in it should still bring meaning to it within the context of Trails of Cold Steel. So it's not entirely pointless even without full context at least. Epilogue though I didn't really have an issue with. It gives you some closure the story that took place and the scenes at the end of the Finale as well as some fanservice. Granted it opens up new questions as well, but nothing remotely gut-punching thankfully. I don't think Falcom originally knew if they were going to continue the Erebonia story or move on which is why it ended like it did.

I do have to say though, I did enjoy the music in the Divertissement. Also that ass. That ass was fat. I completely understand that one guys fixation on that person now. I don't want to say specifics, but anybody who's played that part should understand what I'm talking about.

If you're doing all of the optional content then between that, talking to everybody and the shrines can make it feel dragged out. I felt that way somewhat, but took a short break after I finished the Finale so I didn't have that feeling continuing on.

And yeah, I can understand frustration with the Divertissement. WIthout the context of Trails of Zero/Azure, it will be lost on most of the people. However the final scenes in it should still bring meaning to it within the context of Trails of Cold Steel. So it's not entirely pointless even without full context at least. Epilogue though I didn't really have an issue with. It gives you some closure the story that took place and the scenes at the end of the Finale as well as some fanservice. Granted it opens up new questions as well, but nothing remotely gut-punching thankfully. I don't think Falcom originally knew if they were going to continue the Erebonia story or move on which is why it ended like it did.

I do have to say though, I did enjoy the music in the Divertissement. Also that ass. That ass was fat. I completely understand that one guys fixation on that person now. I don't want to say specifics, but anybody who's played that part should understand what I'm talking about.
Yeah I was definitely doing all side material, but that didn't mess with my patience at the end. In most places before the finale I was grinding in areas not for exp, but because I didn't want the game to end. If I would have taken a break after the finale, I probably wouldn't have gotten frustrated. I guess I just felt like the divertissement kinda took away from everything I was feeling throughout the game. But like you said, music was fantastic and the eye candy was a nice bonus. Such a great series. Long live Falcom!

Did anyone happen to buy World of Final Fantasy from Amazon and get the Day 1 Edition after release? That's what their listing has the game as. I want to be sure to get the JP audio, and not have to deal with the hassle of returning it if the listing is just wrong. I can't imagine that they actually ran out though.

That's too bad. You had one of the best Trails in the Sky characters completely spoiled for you playing Cold Steel first. It doesn't kill the character as they're still awesome, but you won't be as surprised during a certain event. Also, Estelle is one of the best female leads ever.
I'm finally getting around to playing TiTS, and I'm only up to the part where you get to the farm, but I loved Estelle from the very beginning. Really liking it so far. Not entirely sure what the Sepith Up bonus is during battle, but I'm sure things will make more sense the more I play.

So after I play through FC and SC I can go straight into Cold Steel?

Did anyone happen to buy World of Final Fantasy from Amazon and get the Day 1 Edition after release? That's what their listing has the game as. I want to be sure to get the JP audio, and not have to deal with the hassle of returning it if the listing is just wrong. I can't imagine that they actually ran out though.
Wait, only the day 1 edition has JP audio?

I compiled about 130 hours in the first game, but it was mostly due to the fact that I missed a character profile update and had to do a 3rd playthrough. So far I'm about 60 hours into the second one. My Fie gets hit only a few times a fight, so she spends most if it counter attacking and rezzing the knocked out players. I do a poor job of battle strategizing, so I sometimes make them harder than they need to be. I don't doubt I'll end up putting about the same amount of time in Cold Steel 2.

The beginning did seem to drag on a little bit as I felt like some moments had a little "side quest' feel to them. I did like that you had some newer characters with you for awhile, if only for a short while. It does pick up a little better about 25 hours in. I did enjoy searching out for your friends I thought that
Alisa, and Fie
has the best reactions to finding you.

Yeah when you're ready, be sure to give Sora a shot; it's definitely a great game and way better than Cold Steel.

Estelle is one of the best female leads ever.
tumblr_m4963oHgYe1ruhq2co1_400.gif

Also, Laura > Alisa.
The name dropping wouldn't be has bad if we had the Crossbell arc here but Xseed wanted the CS games done since PS3 is on its way out. While Ao and Zero no Kiseki are PSP games, Xseed has stated that it will have to be on PC.

Considering how well the games are doing here in the US. I'd say it should be a matter of when not if.

Also that ass. That ass was fat. I completely understand that one guys fixation on that person now. I don't want to say specifics, but anybody who's played that part should understand what I'm talking about.
qFzFAcHlyUwZW.gif

Sara > everybody
^^^^ +1 from me! :D :D :D :D

Oh and by the way Rean says Millium > everybody.

I'm finally getting around to playing TiTS, and I'm only up to the part where you get to the farm, but I loved Estelle from the very beginning. Really liking it so far. Not entirely sure what the Sepith Up bonus is during battle, but I'm sure things will make more sense the more I play.

When you see the "Sepith Up" bonus, that means when you hit an enemy, you'll extract more sepith from that enemy. But remember, that's a two-way-street.

When you get these bonuses, find attacks or artes that can "hit" more than once (Aerial was one of my go-to artes, and I think Josh and Estelle's S-Breaks do these).

And yes, you can jump into CS after you finish Trails in the Sky FC and SC.

Day 1 editions usually aren't actually that limited. You can still get Day 1 edition of Sunset Overdrive.

Some people don't actually like her at the beginning, but she has some phenomenal character growth throughout the two games.

And yeah, the Sepith Up Bonus is just extra sepith when you hit an enemy like was previously mentioned. As far as I know it's every single hit in a move, however in Cold Steel you can skip animations which causes issues with this. If you skip the animation, it counts as one hit only as opposed to however many hits it is normally.

I normally don't worry about this bonus as in the Trails in the Sky games have Shining Poms. In FC they are in one spot per chapter but only have like a 25% chance of appearing on the map when you load it. The final chapter has a Shining Pom right next to a map transition point which makes it easy to grind if wanted. They give a lot of EXP/Sepith and are easily killed by S. Crafts as well as insta-kill artes. In SC however they appear with certain kinds of normal monsters which also ties them to specific locations. You can't necessarily find them as easily, but they aren't as bad to grind if wanted.

You can also jump straight into Cold Steel if you want, yes. Unfortunately there isn't much we can do about the two games that came out before it, which are Trails of Zero & Trails of Azure that haven't been localized. No fan translation exists for it outside of some basic menus, items and such I believe. Trails in the Sky the Third is coming out on PC in early/spring 2017 but isn't necessary to play before hand either. There is a NG+ only questline in Cold Steel II that I hear more or less ties directly into TitS the Third though and I'm personally waiting on that game to release state side before I do that NG+ questline.

Oh and the stupid book series collecting that nets you an ultimate weapon. They're not bad reading and do have tie-ins to future games.

EDIT: Actually it looks like Zero no Kiseki (Trails of Zero) almost has a complete fan translation and they projected finishing it in December (They're currently in editing/testing). Ao no Kiseki (Trails of Azure) I don't think has really been touched much yet.

EDIT 2: Also for the record, Hatsuu of XSeed is desperately trying to make a localization happen for Zero & Azure. The PSP version is extremely unlikely because it's an old platform and Falcom no longer has their dev kit to assist (Returned after the Trails in the Sky SC localization). The EVO version is unlikely because it contains a ton of voicework which will be expensive as hell, not to mention they'd need to go through three Japanese companies at least to even get all the proper rights. If it happens, it will likely be the Chinese developed PC version which is based off of the PSP version.

Well Best Buy still hasn't shipped my Corpse Party order.  It's still sitting on preparing like it has since Monday and it looks like that month delay notice has some merit.  I don't know why as I can order it on the website right now with guaranteed delivery by next Tuesday.  I think the order is glitch in the system or something.  I'm trying to cancel it so I can order it from Amazon while I can, but their system isn't letting me.  Tried calling got the "Well that because it's preparing to ship." statement.  Explained that it's been like that since Monday and about the delay notice I got the next day, ect.  They agreed that something weird was going on and tried to cancel it for me every which way to no avail.  They have to forward it to a different department and could take 24 hours, ect. :wall:

It's just bugs a little since I've had it pre-ordered since May.  If it was super limited and I was sol for some reason I be pissed, but at the same time I'm not going to wait around a month for things to work themselves out and end up in that position because of it.  I am disappointed as I haven't had a issue with Best Buy in a long time, but I guess I was due to.

Some people don't actually like her at the beginning, but she has some phenomenal character growth throughout the two games.

And yeah, the Sepith Up Bonus is just extra sepith when you hit an enemy like was previously mentioned. As far as I know it's every single hit in a move, however in Cold Steel you can skip animations which causes issues with this. If you skip the animation, it counts as one hit only as opposed to however many hits it is normally.

I normally don't worry about this bonus as in the Trails in the Sky games have Shining Poms. In FC they are in one spot per chapter but only have like a 25% chance of appearing on the map when you load it. The final chapter has a Shining Pom right next to a map transition point which makes it easy to grind if wanted. They give a lot of EXP/Sepith and are easily killed by S. Crafts as well as insta-kill artes. In SC however they appear with certain kinds of normal monsters which also ties them to specific locations. You can't necessarily find them as easily, but they aren't as bad to grind if wanted.

You can also jump straight into Cold Steel if you want, yes. Unfortunately there isn't much we can do about the two games that came out before it, which are Trails of Zero & Trails of Azure that haven't been localized. No fan translation exists for it outside of some basic menus, items and such I believe. Trails in the Sky the Third is coming out on PC in early/spring 2017 but isn't necessary to play before hand either. There is a NG+ only questline in Cold Steel II that I hear more or less ties directly into TitS the Third though and I'm personally waiting on that game to release state side before I do that NG+ questline.

Oh and the stupid book series collecting that nets you an ultimate weapon. They're not bad reading and do have tie-ins to future games.

EDIT: Actually it looks like Zero no Kiseki (Trails of Zero) almost has a complete fan translation and they projected finishing it in December (They're currently in editing/testing). Ao no Kiseki (Trails of Azure) I don't think has really been touched much yet.

EDIT 2: Also for the record, Hatsuu of XSeed is desperately trying to make a localization happen for Zero & Azure. The PSP version is extremely unlikely because it's an old platform and Falcom no longer has their dev kit to assist (Returned after the Trails in the Sky SC localization). The EVO version is unlikely because it contains a ton of voicework which will be expensive as hell, not to mention they'd need to go through three Japanese companies at least to even get all the proper rights. If it happens, it will likely be the Chinese developed PC version which is based off of the PSP version.
After reading what you had to say about Trails in the Sky, I did something I rarely do. That is stopping one game I'm enjoying for another, lol. I was literally just starting Trails in the Sky and thought a lazy Saturday might be a good time to put some work into it. I'm really beginning to like the history of these games. It's always fun to play a tie in game and see city names, guilds, and read historical parts that you've gotten another prospective from. I'm sure I'll only play a little and then go back to ToCS2, but its been really fun to play thus far. I can see where people wouldn't like Estelle initially, but they're usually that way at first so they can grow.

Well Best Buy still hasn't shipped my Corpse Party order. It's still sitting on preparing like it has since Monday and it looks like that month delay notice has some merit. I don't know why as I can order it on the website right now with guaranteed delivery by next Tuesday. I think the order is glitch in the system or something. I'm trying to cancel it so I can order it from Amazon while I can, but their system isn't letting me. Tried calling got the "Well that because it's preparing to ship." statement. Explained that it's been like that since Monday and about the delay notice I got the next day, ect. They agreed that something weird was going on and tried to cancel it for me every which way to no avail. They have to forward it to a different department and could take 24 hours, ect. :wall:

It's just bugs a little since I've had it pre-ordered since May. If it was super limited and I was sol for some reason I be pissed, but at the same time I'm not going to wait around a month for things to work themselves out and end up in that position because of it. I am disappointed as I haven't had a issue with Best Buy in a long time, but I guess I was due to.
I got the delay notice too and mine just shipped, so don't give up hope :)

After reading what you had to say about Trails in the Sky, I did something I rarely do. That is stopping one game I'm enjoying for another, lol. I was literally just starting Trails in the Sky and thought a lazy Saturday might be a good time to put some work into it. I'm really beginning to like the history of these games. It's always fun to play a tie in game and see city names, guilds, and read historical parts that you've gotten another prospective from. I'm sure I'll only play a little and then go back to ToCS2, but its been really fun to play thus far. I can see where people wouldn't like Estelle initially, but they're usually that way at first so they can grow.
I haven't actually said all that much on it. I think most issues people have with Trails in the Sky are:

• Pacing is very slow. Unlike Cold Steel, you have less similarities between popular games that may keep one entertained. Personally I enjoyed going around doing Bracer stuff, but a couple spots may have dragged out a little. Second game is much better in this regard.
  • Graphics are very old. However the game has some amazing choreographed fights despite that. Airship stuff... not so much.
  • Battle system is kinda slow and you can't skip animations (Trails of Azure was the first that had this). Thankfully nothing is too flashy/long. You can use third-party programs on the PC version such as CheatEngine to speed up battle if you feel it is necessary (Can potentially cause freezing/crashing, so save often it used).
  • People who have serious issues with tropes. Falcom likes to start off characters that can fit a trope like none other, but they get better if you stick around long enough.

The first game is around 30-50 hours while the second is around 70-90 if I remember correctly. Most everybody who have only played the English versions say the second chapter is the best Trails game we've gotten so far and I tend to agree. When you factor in the Japanese games, they say Trails in the Sky the Third is better and many consider Trails of Zero/Azure the best in the series. Almost everybody unanimously agrees that Cold Steel is the worst in the series.

But yeah, I'd say you've caught the Trails bug based on what you've said. Once you get that feeling of wanting to know more, you'll probably end up playing the rest without much issue. You'll see a lot of parallels between Cold Steel and Trails in the Sky as well.

One thing that is kind of cool to see though is how the Orbament system has changed. It started with what you have in TitS and you ultimately end up (with a few iterations in between with each game) with what you have in Cold Steel.

EDIT: Oh and you probably want to interact with chests after looting them once. XSeed thought they'd add in some random messages on empty chest interaction. They can be fun at times.

I haven't actually said all that much on it. I think most issues people have with Trails in the Sky are:

• Pacing is very slow. Unlike Cold Steel, you have less similarities between popular games that may keep one entertained. Personally I enjoyed going around doing Bracer stuff, but a couple spots may have dragged out a little. Second game is much better in this regard.
  • Graphics are very old. However the game has some amazing choreographed fights despite that. Airship stuff... not so much.
  • Battle system is kinda slow and you can't skip animations (Trails of Azure was the first that had this). Thankfully nothing is too flashy/long. You can use third-party programs on the PC version such as CheatEngine to speed up battle if you feel it is necessary (Can potentially cause freezing/crashing, so save often it used).
  • People who have serious issues with tropes. Falcom likes to start off characters that can fit a trope like none other, but they get better if you stick around long enough.

The first game is around 30-50 hours while the second is around 70-90 if I remember correctly. Most everybody who have only played the English versions say the second chapter is the best Trails game we've gotten so far and I tend to agree. When you factor in the Japanese games, they say Trails in the Sky the Third is better and many consider Trails of Zero/Azure the best in the series. Almost everybody unanimously agrees that Cold Steel is the worst in the series.

But yeah, I'd say you've caught the Trails bug based on what you've said. Once you get that feeling of wanting to know more, you'll probably end up playing the rest without much issue. You'll see a lot of parallels between Cold Steel and Trails in the Sky as well.

One thing that is kind of cool to see though is how the Orbament system has changed. It started with what you have in TitS and you ultimately end up (with a few iterations in between with each game) with what you have in Cold Steel.

EDIT: Oh and you probably want to interact with chests after looting them once. XSeed thought they'd add in some random messages on empty chest interaction. They can be fun at times.
Thanks for that little bit of info. I guess its more of how you and a few others have spoken of the game rather than the amount. Sometimes a game recommendation comes from the enthusiasm people have for it. I can safely say that I have the Trails bug. It's honestly a great thing to hear that Cold Steel is the worst of the series seeing as I've enjoyed it so much. That gives me great expectations for the other releases coming out. I've been playing JRPGs since the early SNES days, so graphics, and tropes don't bother me as long as the story and the character building is good. I still go back and play old games from the SNES era, like Final Fantasy 4/6, Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star IV, and the older "Tales of" games. I'm only to the part where the Cassius departs to investigate something Erebonia, but I can tell it's going to be a nostalgic, fun, ride.

I plan of buying anything that Falcom releases to us. I have the first two Trails games on PC, plus the first one on PSP. As soon as the 3rd gets released, I plan on snagging it to help sales, and the aforementioned "Trails bug." If we never get Zero/Azure, then I'll just buy the Japanese release and combine the ISO with the fan subs when we get them. I know buying the PSP UMDs aren't necessary, but they look amazing on my shelf, and I feel like I should support Falcom by buying them. Even though its not a canon, I went ahead and bought Trails of Nayuta since it has already been translated.

I'm honestly just happy to have a series that doesn't rely heavily on gimmicks, and FMVs to get people to buy them. No offense to Square-Enix, but I've 100 times more excited to get the new Trails releases than FFXV.

I'm only to the part where the Cassius departs to investigate something Erebonia, but I can tell it's going to be a nostalgic, fun, ride.
You should already know what that "something" is as its mentioned several times in Cold Steel and tied into the lore of one of the characters. This is roughly two years prior to Cold Steel if that helps ring any bells. [customspoiler='Hint']Think Heimdallr incident.[/customspoiler]

And yeah, I promote the Trails series every chance I get because it feels like barely anybody plays them and I find that a little disappointing. Trails in the Sky the Third as well as Persona 5 are probably my top two upcoming game releases and everything else more or less pales in comparison. Tyranny is up there too. I love the series and it's sad we don't see games like the Trails series anymore really. Playing it also makes me sad that Suikoden is dead too because it always somewhat reminds me of that series.

Oh and I've completely forgotten about this as well, but XSeed translated the Drama CD for Cold Steel as well.

Story 1 - Requirement to read is beating Cold Steel I.

Story 2 - Requirement to read is starting Act 2 in Cold Steel II.

Shit is a long read (And you're probably hearing it in the character voices), but fills in some gaps for certain things that were skipped in the game.

EDIT: I always forget Nayuta exists. I remember it being fan translated but haven't tried it yet. With Xanadu NEXT coming out in a few days, I'll likely forget about it again.

The main problem I imagine most people have with the trails games is that not all of them have been localized on top of them having really slow pacing, connected stories to compound onto the unlocalized titles, game length, and the number of tlc issues cold steel had.  

I liked cold steel for what it was but the voice work cutting in and out (and stuff being unvoiced when it needed to be) really bothered me alot.  That's sad to hear the other earlier games don't have the skip feature as that made battles breeze by in cold steel which was one of its very redeeming features.

And after playing p4g I have to say how good of job localization wise atlus did in comparison to cold steels.  Not only was p4gs concert scene voiced but it was in english and all the instruments and lip/movement animations were in sync with the character and voice work.  I have to give it to them that was a perfect execution on their part in comparison to that god awful mess in cold steel.

I'd think if they made the trails games more along the average 30-60 hours that would help them out alot.  Since big games are a turn off to most people due to time constraints.  And its pretty evident by looking at achievement/trophies that 20-35% is the average number of people who finish long games like p4, cyber sluts, cold steel ect.

As I keep playing World of Final Fantasy I have a love/hate relationship with the game. The gameplay is pretty fun. The rest of the game feels so generic. Like how generic can we make a Final Fantasy game.

I did it guys! It was a long and arduous journey, but I have beaten Fire Emblem Awakening on lunatic difficulty! 3 years ago I played the hell out of awakening until I tried lunatic mode and never got past the prologue chapter. This month I finally got my friend to try awakening and he got hooked. He played so much that it got me interested in trying lunatic mode again now that I'm a more experienced player after fates. That blasted prologue chapter still took me like 30 tries but I forged on ahead. And on this day I have defeated lunatic mode! I prefer fates over awakening, but playing this again reminded me that this was a great game that inspired me to collect all of the older games.

Now imagine my surprise when I found out there's a lunatic+ difficulty. That is for another time.

I did it guys! It was a long and arduous journey, but I have beaten Fire Emblem Awakening on lunatic difficulty! 3 years ago I played the hell out of awakening until I tried lunatic mode and never got past the prologue chapter. This month I finally got my friend to try awakening and he got hooked. He played so much that it got me interested in trying lunatic mode again now that I'm a more experienced player after fates. That blasted prologue chapter still took me like 30 tries but I forged on ahead. And on this day I have defeated lunatic mode! I prefer fates over awakening, but playing this again reminded me that this was a great game that inspired me to collect all of the older games.

Now imagine my surprise when I found out there's a lunatic+ difficulty. That is for another time.
Lunatic + is not much harder, it does involve of much reset and loading, some skill combo are unwinnable, just gotta reload.

Yeah... Lunatic plus mode isn't fun. Especially the beginning couple chapters. It's like the guy above said; it's basically just a reset fest until you get a winnable game. That being said I beat it on the classic setting, and I have no intention of going back to that difficulty.

There really isn't anything that makes it better per say, here's what carries over (Taken from Neogaf because this sites search sucks to find my past post about it):

Basically any quests you do in the first one on your latest playthrough will carry over some new dialogue for people you've done shit for previously. Plus getting either every characters bonding trophy or getting their bonding level to a certain point (not sure which) will slightly effect that characters dialogue early on, but not much.

You also don't need to do anything for Alisa with regards to a second playthrough on Nightmare difficulty unless you're going for trophies or just want to. In other words your actions will not change what she does in the second game. If I'm understanding you correctly anyways.
Thanks that cleared some things up.

Ok now i really need to know what you are talking about.

The main problem I imagine most people have with the trails games is that not all of them have been localized on top of them having really slow pacing, connected stories to compound onto the unlocalized titles, game length, and the number of tlc issues cold steel had.
I can understand people feeling intimidated because of the sheer amount of semi-linked titles, however not buying it simply because the other games aren't localized is a pretty dumb line of thinking.

Not really sure what TLC means in your context either. I don't really have a problem with the rest, just the one thing I mentioned above.

I liked cold steel for what it was but the voice work cutting in and out (and stuff being unvoiced when it needed to be) really bothered me alot.
That's the way Falcom made it. Yeah it was a bad decision and I don't understand why they did it, but it's hardly a deal breaker for me.

I also believe I read at some point that XSeed did talk to Falcom about adding in voiced dialogue for the partially voiced scenes because they have to go through them to add it, but obviously that didn't happen for whatever reason.

We do have a better credit roll than Japan's version of Cold Steel II though (Not that it really matters). We get various images powerpoint style, including some newly drawn ones or never before used that were provided by Falcom when XSeed requested adding images into the credits so it wasn't just a black background.

And after playing p4g I have to say how good of job localization wise atlus did in comparison to cold steels. Not only was p4gs concert scene voiced but it was in english and all the instruments and lip/movement animations were in sync with the character and voice work. I have to give it to them that was a perfect execution on their part in comparison to that god awful mess in cold steel.
Uh that was not a localization issue on XSeeds part. It was a Falcom issue because that's how they made it in the Japanese version. None of it was lip synced and only the last "song" was voiced. Go check a youtube video of the Japanese version if you don't believe me. XSeed can't take a potion of a game that has no lip sync programming and program it in just for western audiences. It doesn't work that like.

Anyways, Falcom is a relatively small company that has around 45 employees total whereas Atlus has about three times that number and are mostly a publisher now-a-days. Falcom does not have anywhere near the budget or resources of an Atlus developed title like Persona and that will always be evident. You can say things like "X has this and Y doesn't" all you want, but ultimately it will depend on what the developer wants to focus on in their games. In every budget, somewhere you have to make cuts and decisions on what you want/need to do. It works like this in every business, game related or not. If it bugs you that much, then the Trails series or hell, anything from Falcom probably just isn't for you.

The localization job by XSeed was actually fantastic and I don't see how anyone can say otherwise. I can't even really see this as a matter of opinion either and will never budge from that stance for their currently released Trails games.

I'd think if they made the trails games more along the average 30-60 hours that would help them out alot. Since big games are a turn off to most people due to time constraints. And its pretty evident by looking at achievement/trophies that 20-35% is the average number of people who finish long games like p4, cyber sluts, cold steel ect.
The games are actually 30-60 hours if you don't do all the useless optional talking and skip on some optional stuff. The only real reason you would go higher is if you were doing everything and talking to everybody. Plenty of people clock in at 60 hours or less on these games. I clock in around 80 doing everything but could easily push it to 60 or lower on a fresh playthrough. I think you're looking for the numbers 20-40.

Yes, there will always be a fraction of the people completing games. It's the same for a vast majority of games regardless of the genre. Yes it will effect sales on direct sequels. That has always been the case, but it doesn't stop me from promoting the series.

Thanks that cleared some things up.
There's one thing I did forget is that the final bonding event choice is supposed to carry over into Cold Steel II for some minor scene changes and dialogue changes for that character. However there seems to be a bug (maybe intended?) that is based on either the Cold Steel bonding trophies or your bonding level with characters in the Clear Data save that will have characters act as if you went through the final bonding event with them even though you didn't. I kinda mentioned it, but didn't realize I didn't explain it properly until later.

I got that and I read other people did too. Was a little weird/confusing, but my "scene changes" were of the person I chose in the final bonding event in Cold Steel I. I read some people had the scene default to Alisa when they chose someone else. I think Alisa is default if you don't carry over anything as well.

Ok now i really need to know what you are talking about.
Carrot and the stick.

I think I'm set to wait for the Plus sale on Dusk although for Mysterious I may end up just grabbing the PS4 versions and play that after Arland, since like you say, it's almost a fact there won't be a plus version (I may be crazy but I swear the guys on twitter replied to a tweet that asked if there would be a plus version and they said there wouldn't or highly hinted that way).
This discussion has convinced me to wait as well for the sale on Dusk haha! Would you get Ayesha if it went on sale for 19.99 which I think it did before or are you going to wait for the huge package with all 3 bundled? I feel that might not come out as early and getting 1 by 1 may be better? As for the PS4 versions I probably wont play them until after Dusk just cause I like going in order even though it's a totally different story >.<

End-of-month weeks are a pain when searching for upcoming releases on PC. Ugh. Seems to be a pretty quiet week for the most part, but I'm definitely looking forward to Xanadu Next.

Other stuff that released without warning last week that are all on PC/Steam:
- MYTH - Steam Edition (Visual Novel)
- Lost in Secular Love (Visual Novel / Otome)
- A Dragon Girl Looks Up at the Endless Sky (Visual Novel / RPG)

Weekly Releases (October 30th - November 5th)

Mario Party: Star Rush
- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: Party Game / Board Game / Mini-Games
- Demo: N/A
- Online: Local only.

BlazBlue: Central Fiction
- Platform(s): PS3, PS4
- Genre: Fighting / Visual Novel
- Online: Yes.

Izanami's Dream Battle
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: SHMUP / Bullet Hell
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Not really Japanese.

Heart and Seoul
- Genre: Visual Novel / Otome
- Comments: Korean? Close enough.

Xanadu NEXT
- Genre: Action RPG
- Comments: The latest game in the Xanadu franchise. Made in 2005. Tokyo Xanadu has no relation to this game. Prepare your lava protectant fundoshi!

Memory's Dogma CODE:01
- Genre: Visual Novel

The Stargazers
- Genre: Visual Novel
- Comments: Not really Japanese, but published by MangaGamer.

Past Releases
October 23rd - October 29th
October 16th - October 22nd
October 9th - October 15th
October 2nd - October 8th
September 25th - October 1st

Will I understand the carrot and stick after playing CS2?
What I said exists and you will see it when you get that far. I'm just purposely vague on a lot of things to not give away spoilers, but clear enough that people who've played it should understand what I'm getting at.

bread's done
Back