Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
They basically did what Sony did with the launch of the PS3, thinking they could pull whatever shit they wanted and people would still eat it up. If they had kept that DRM bullshit, not even Killer Instinct could have made me buy the thing, and that is a game I'd literally been dreaming about since the mid fucking 90's.... and it lived up to all expectations.

Difference is Sony mostly managed to turn their shit around toward the second half of the PS3's life... Microsoft isn't showing any signs of picking up steam. They have such little diversity in their already limited exclusive line up. Hopefully Sea of Thieves marks some sign of a return to form for Rare. That would get my blood pumping. If Rare could return to its former glory, then Microsoft would actually have a new and powerful card to add to its hand. Give me some fuckin' Ba-Ba-Battletoads!
Don Mattick was a terrible president of Xbox.

It's come around with Phil spencer as president but one thing he does not really care about is exclusivity which can be good or bad. Who doesn't like backwards compatibility or the idea of cross Buy where buying a game gives you the Xbox version and PC version. On the other hand that leaves the number of true xbox only exclusives much more bare.

They basically did what Sony did with the launch of the PS3, thinking they could pull whatever shit they wanted and people would still eat it up.
And what Sega did with the Saturn. Call it the 3rd Console Curse.

That being said, I dont think I'd at this point make a recommendation of PS4 over X1 or vice-versa. They both seem equally good (or equally meh) to me. Of course this being the Japanese game thread, favor is going to skew PS4. But neither has done anything to win me over. Sony was close with P5, but since they left a version on PS3, I'll remain a PC this generation.
pcguy_psp.png

Nobunaga's Ambition Sphere of Influence Ascension

Amazon lightning deal at 8pm EST. I got Sphere of Influence for Xmas and have been loving it.
Have it in my cart atm.. not sure if I want it tho. Kinda funny tho, right as the deal went live it popped up to 50%, then 100% when I added mine to cart. They must have had very few of these up.

Edit - ended up grabbing it. I really love strategy games. Thanks for the heads up btw :)

I've been too busy giving my VITA a workout that my Pro is getting a bit dusty.

Other than Berseria, there's nothing I want to play on it until P5.. (starting to seem like a bad investment)

Plus with the Switch event in a few days, no reason to care about current gen drama.

Reasons to own an Xbox One are now 0
Unless Dead or Alive becomes Xbox exclusive again like it was with the original Xbox and Xbox 360 I don't see how I'll ever get an Xbox One.

Are we on the same timeline?
That depends, did you remember it as Berenstein or Berenstain?

Seriously, though, I'm shocked about Scalebound. I would never have even thought of it being cancelled. Sony should pick that shit up. That would be a fucking kick right in the dick to MS.
Seeing how Kamiya loves Nintendo I can already see a Scalebound trailer this Thursday on the Nintendo Switch conference.

bah, yeah I knew that.. I still have them bookmarked as coming out on Feb 14. for some reason.
boo I forgot it had gotten pushed back. oh well I'm not certain it will make enough improvements to make me want to play it anyway. I've already played persona 3 and 4 5 times between the 5 versions so playing something similar again so soon will bore me.

And what Sega did with the Saturn. Call it the 3rd Console Curse.

That being said, I dont think I'd at this point make a recommendation of PS4 over X1 or vice-versa. They both seem equally good (or equally meh) to me. Of course this being the Japanese game thread, favor is going to skew PS4. But neither has done anything to win me over. Sony was close with P5, but since they left a version on PS3, I'll remain a PC this generation.
Yep same. Only reason I bought a ps4 was due to getting it for 160 from amazon warehouse thread. There aren't really any exclusives or must haves on jrpg wise yet but at that price I bit since I doubt it will be much cheaper down the line. Many games like tales of zesty and such have been multiplat with steam/ps3/vita or xbox one options as well. Its basically the ps3 all over again. Ironic when the strongest systems are handhelds. Not that I mind multiplat since it helps save people trouble of having to buy all systems. Just hurts when there isn't as much reason too pick up one system or another despite having a couple exclusives you do want.

Looks like Gravity Rush 2 lifted their review embargo. It seems to be rather favorable. Here's the aggregate thread links for Reddit and Neogaf. A fair bit of people seem to be mentioning this little excerpt from Gamespots review as well:

"Truth be told, you don't even need to engage with missions to enjoy yourself. Simply flying around the world is a captivating experience in its own right, both for the innate thrill of flight and for the beauty of your surroundings. The world pops with color and character, building on the first game's strong, Studio Ghibli-esque visuals. And basic exploration is once again made more rewarding by the hundreds of gems--used for ability upgrades--strewn across the map."

You mean this thread's wiki? I did, until it started timing out 98% of the time I clicked "Edit Wiki" and gave up a long time ago. Mentioned it to John several times, but nothing came of it (Unless it works more reliably now). If a new thread is made, I could probably start again. However I almost feel like it should be in a post (OP or first reply) rather than a wiki because of that issue which can crop up.

Anybody can edit it though, but it'd be nice if it was kept uniform. It was what I originally kept up-to-date and pulled releases from there for my weekly release post.
I do not wanna step on any toes just wanted know. I shall try a little and see how it goes and keep it uniform.

I have an Xbox One and really love it. Microsoft has really stepped up it's game on it since launch. Tons of updates and features (not to mention backwards compatibility). Not to mention I game with about 6-8 close friends from my college days and they all have an Xbox One. I don't have a PS4 yet (haven't found a reason to get it). Still plenty of games on my PS3 to play to get my JRPG fix. I'll probably get a cheap PS4 once ToCS III releases in English.

That being said, I definitely was looking forward to Scalebound and disappointed to see this cancelled. :(

I do not wanna step on any toes just wanted know. I shall try a little and see how it goes and keep it uniform.
Eh, you're not really stepping on any toes if nobody is updating it. The only thing about keeping it uniform is the fonts as it uses a unicode font to line everything up. I tried to cover the entire wiki with font tags, but it doesn't work with 100% accuracy. It's possible that shift+enter to create new lines may help with that like it does with customspoiler tags. Of course copying from other sites will overwrite it with their font anyways with the WYSIWYG editor.

Here is a rough draft, I think I used the same font.

Maybe its because there is so much content on one tab is why it might have edit issues.

I have not added cause i did not know where to add. Just after the month before?

January 2017
01/07 Runbow Pocket Deluxe Edition :3ds:
01/20 Dragon Quest VIII - Journey of the Cursed King :3ds:
01/17 Fate/Extella: The Umbrall Star :ps4:
01/20 Gravity Rush 2 :ps4:
01/24 Resident Evil 7 biohazard :ps4: :xb1: 
01/24 Kingdom Hears HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue Limited Edition :ps4:
01/24 Tales of Berseria :ps4:
01/24 Motoracer 4 :ps4: :xb1:
01/24 Yakuza 0 :ps4:
01/31 Abzu :ps4: :xb1:
01/31 Digimon World: Next Order :ps4:
01/31 Hitman: The Complete First Season Steelbook Edition :ps4: :xb1:

Here is a rough draft, I think I used the same font.

Maybe its because there is so much content on one tab is why it might have edit issues.

I have not added cause i did not know where to add. Just after the month before?
Font is the same, yes. It was actually listed in the final spoiler tag in the wiki.

As for why it has editing issues, it's not because of the amount of information as that was my first thought and tried a few things. I also tested other thread wikis with zero to very little information and some would have the same issues while others would not. It felt completely random. A lot of the old wiki stuff can be cleared out anyways.

I too must pour one out for Scalebound as I'm a big fan of PlatinumGames (even their missteps) and that rose to one of my most anticipated games on Xbox One. At least we're still getting Nier Automata.

PSN + Steam free weekly junk listing for the past week:

Tales of Berseria
PS4

- Demo https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/tales-of-berseria/cid=UP0700-CUSA05258_00-PS4TOBERSERIA001
Steam / PC
- Demo http://store.steampowered.com/app/429660/

The King of Fighters XIV
PS4

- Mai Shiranui Theme (Static) https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/themes/the-king-of-fighters-xiv-mai-shiranui-theme/cid=UP2611-CUSA05533_00-UTH0000000007193
- Mexican Fighters Theme (Static) https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/themes/the-king-of-fighters-xiv-mexican-fighters-theme/cid=UP2611-CUSA05533_00-UTH0000000007204
- Psychic Girl Theme (Static) https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/themes/the-king-of-fighters-xiv-psychic-girl-theme/cid=UP2611-CUSA05533_00-UTH0000000007199
- K & Kula Theme (Static) https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/themes/the-king-of-fighters-xiv-kkula-theme/cid=UP2611-CUSA05533_00-UTH0000000007200
- Newcomers Theme (Static) https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/themes/the-king-of-fighters-xiv-newcomers-theme/cid=UP2611-CUSA05533_00-UTH0000000007195
- Yagami Theme (Static) https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/themes/the-king-of-fighters-xiv-yagami-theme/cid=UP2611-CUSA05533_00-UTH0000000007194

If the above links aren't working, get them from here: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/all-themes/cid=STORE-MSF77008-THEMESALLTHEMES|price~0-0|

Samurai Showdown VI
PS4

- Theme (Static) https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/themes/samurai-shodown-vi-theme/cid=UP0576-CUSA03787_00-UTH0000000007221

BlazBlue: Central Fiction
PS3

- Gunslinger Statos Pack https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/blazblue-central-fiction-gunslinger-stratos-pack/cid=UP1024-NPUB31809_00-BBCFPS3000019000
- Hangame Bunya Set https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/blazblue-central-fiction-hangame-bunya-set/cid=UP1024-NPUB31809_00-BBCFPS3000018000
- Niconico TV-chan Pack https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/blazblue-central-fiction-niconico-tv-chan-pack/cid=UP1024-NPUB31809_00-BBCFPS3000017000
- Toukiden 2 Collaboration Items https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/blazblue-central-fiction-toukiden-2-collaboration-items/cid=UP1024-NPUB31809_00-BBCFPS3000022000
PS4
- Gunslinger Statos Pack https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/blazblue-central-fiction-gunslinger-stratos-pack/cid=UP1024-CUSA04191_00-BBCFPS4000019000
- Hangame Bunya Set https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/blazblue-central-fiction-hangame-bunya-set/cid=UP1024-CUSA04191_00-BBCFPS4000018000
- Niconico TV-chan Pack https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/blazblue-central-fiction-niconico-tv-chan-pack/cid=UP1024-CUSA04191_00-BBCFPS4000017000
- Toukiden 2 Collaboration Items https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/blazblue-central-fiction-toukiden-2-collaboration-items/cid=UP1024-CUSA04191_00-BBCFPS4000022000

Why is FutureTone free?  Is it because all of the content is inside the purchasable bundle, and the base game is just empty?

I read a couple of reviews and neither of them specified anything regarding the base download. 

Why is FutureTone free? Is it because all of the content is inside the purchasable bundle, and the base game is just empty?

I read a couple of reviews and neither of them specified anything regarding the base download.
Direct from the PSN page:

Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Future Tone Prelude comes with two songs and modules to customize. To unlock the full potential of Future Tone, purchase the two packs bursting with 220 songs:

'Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA - Future Sound' includes a collection of songs spanning past Project DIVA titles, including the original PlayStation®Portable series (never released outside Japan) and the F series on Playstation®Vita and PlayStation®3.

'Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA - Colorful Tone' is a collection of songs from the Project DIVA Arcade, many of which are unique to the arcades, as well as songs from the super popular Project Mirai DX.

In addition, purchase of both expansions will unlock Survival Courses and Hairstyle Customization!

If there's anyone in this thread who hasn't played VA-11 Hall-A and would like my Steam code from that bundle, shoot me a PM.

First come, first serve for a damn good game that everyone here should check out.

EDIT: Jill Stingray et al is claimed, but if anyone wants Epic Battle Fantasy 4, Pony Island or Deadbolt, PM me.

From what I played of the Tales of Berseria demo, I thought it was pretty good. Haven't really kept up with any news about it or seen much gameplay of it, so I had no idea what to expect.

I played the demo on the PC and it ran at a solid 60FPS for me with the highest settings. My machine is getting rather old with the newest components being like 4 or 5 years old now? Oldest being around 8 or 9 years. Some people with newer machines seem to be having some framerate issues.

As for the demo itself, I only played a little bit to make sure that it ran well for me. I was actually surprised with how they went with the design of the lead-up to the main menu as well as the in-game menu. Everything is so much cleaner than I'm used to with the removal of so many boxes/lines and the use of so few colors for general stuff. The post-battle screen doesn't really showcase that design philosophy though.

Areas you got to explore in the demo were decently large but not too large. Your hoverboard isn't bad, but I was sad that I couldn't tweak the turnrate of the board like I could the camera for non-board use. I would have liked to turn it down slightly. Battle system itself seemed fine, but I didn't really spend enough time with it to really learn the systems properly. Initial thoughts is that it has some feeling of Tales of Graces in it, but that could be unfounded with how little I actually played. Though switching out characters is insanely easy compared to past titles, which is very nice. Also none of that Armatize shit from Zestiria, thank god (but I already knew this). It has something similar but doesn't eat your team members, so I'm fine with that.

The one other nice thing I noticed is that items do show up on the mini-map once interacted with. This will help immensely for item collection with chests/herbs. I'll never understand why Japanese games always often forego those little types of QOL enhancements. Otherwise the only complaint I have is that the textures for stuff like the ground is still complete ass, but that's to be expected unfortunately.

EDIT: I just want to be clear, I barely played the demo. I only did a few battles before quitting out. I just wanted to check how it ran on my PC and poke around a little bit. If you see others peoples opinions, you'll see they cover things I didn't because they played the demo way more than I did. For reference, I only got into about four battles in the battle section of the demo and that was it.

From what I played of the Tales of Berseria demo, I thought it was pretty good. Haven't really kept up with any news about it or seen much gameplay of it, so I had no idea what to expect.
Yeah I specially liked the beach part because it had more dialogue. I really enjoy that from the series.

I played the demo on the PC and it ran at a solid 60FPS for me with the highest settings. My machine is getting rather old with the newest components being like 4 or 5 years old now? Oldest being around 8 or 9 years. Some people with newer machines seem to be having some framerate issues.

As for the demo itself, I only played a little bit to make sure that it ran well for me. I was actually surprised with how they went with the design of the lead-up to the main menu as well as the in-game menu. Everything is so much cleaner than I'm used to with the removal of so many boxes/lines and the use of so few colors for general stuff. The post-battle screen doesn't really showcase that design philosophy though.

Areas you got to explore in the demo were decently large but not too large. Your hoverboard isn't bad, but I was sad that I couldn't tweak the turnrate of the board like I could the camera for non-board use. I would have liked to turn it down slightly. Battle system itself seemed fine, but I didn't really spend enough time with it to really learn the systems properly. Initial thoughts is that it has some feeling of Tales of Graces in it, but that could be unfounded with how little I actually played. Though switching out characters is insanely easy compared to past titles, which is very nice. Also none of that Armatize shit from Zestiria, thank god (but I already knew this). It has something similar but doesn't eat your team members, so I'm fine with that.

The one other nice thing I noticed is that items do show up on the mini-map once interacted with. This will help immensely for item collection with chests/herbs. I'll never understand why Japanese games always often forego those little types of QOL enhancements. Otherwise the only complaint I have is that the textures for stuff like the ground is still complete ass, but that's to be expected unfortunately.
considering its a prequel to zesty which also used a graces like system it makes sense that it would use its own weird spin on it. But yeah the biggest positives is your party members all appear on screen now including spirits Laphicet and Eizen. And party member lock bullcrap is gone. Spells also don't exist exclusively for spirits to use thankfully and the spells in general look like a vast improvement over the weak crap zesty had. Still haven't seen any sign of the good spells like meteor storm, tempest, black hole, tidal wave ect. But I have hope. Was board design options in the demo? I remember japan at least advertising 3 alt designs a while back. one being rappigs which I totally will be using.

Was board design options in the demo? I remember japan at least advertising 3 alt designs a while back. one being rappigs which I totally will be using.
There was a spot to change the board design, but the short bit I played didn't see any other skins to change it to. I doubt they'll remove any designs unless there are some stingy licensed DLC ones. Too lazy to check for that.

yeah couldn't find how to change it in the demo.  But then again the rappig and such ones may of been for the actual game not the demo.

Anywho played the ps4 version demo.  Its good but the new button layout is gonna take some getting used to.  I am programmed to press triangle for menu, square for blocking after years of playing the series.  It'd be nice if they had a reconfigure buttons option.

Positives some of the old spells made it into the game.  divine saber, air thrust, healing circle among one or two others are in the demo.  The gameplay flows and goes a hell of alot faster than zesty did, character movement is still ass but the board helps relieve that.  On the note of the board it controls pretty poorly much like the motorcycle in .hack g.u.  Eleanor, velcro and magilou all play pretty well melee wise.  Eleanor is basically alicia with magic for those that played zesty.  velcro plays alot like regal from symphonia mixed with yuri and jude/senel what with all the kicking and spinning slashes.  With a little of luke thrown in.

Negative wise the biggest issue I have besides the controls are how b artes are now part of the a artes tree.  That doesn't work at all.  Especially not if you want to quick step speed cast since it limits you to 1 spell in either slot 3 or 4. where as even in zestiria you could just assign it to the directions and a button.  They also didn't bring charge casting over from zesty which is a major shame as it helped alot when it came to casting the higher tier spells by just holding down after one quick step on a base spell.

If there's anyone in this thread who hasn't played VA-11 Hall-A and would like my Steam code from that bundle, shoot me a PM.

First come, first serve for a damn good game that everyone here should check out.

EDIT: Jill Stingray et al is claimed, but if anyone wants Epic Battle Fantasy 4, Pony Island or Deadbolt, PM me.
Oh poopy. I want va11halla but $10 tier is too much. Don't really want the other stuff so it'd feel like paying $10 for just that and I'm sure it'll go lower in a steam sale.

bread's done
Back