Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
It was pretty decent, but the story left way too many things open at the end which was a bit disappointing so I more or less left with confusion when the game just sort of ended.
I felt the same way about Gravity Rush. With all the hype I was expecting more. It wasn't bad, but elements of it left me disappointed. I'm not in a rush for the sequel and will likely be waiting until a price drop.

Gravity Rush was one of the first Vita games I played.  The art was nice and the gameplay was semi-interesting.  But I got bored and put it down midway. *shrug*

Anyone know if you have to be familiar with the story of the Fate series before playing Fate/Extella? Like is it similar to Final Fantasy with a brand new story each game, or do I have to play the previous games like Fate/Extra, and watch Fate/Stay Night anime before I play it to really understand the story? Thanks!

Good week for the vita. I've got the LE for both preordered, though my shallie will have to wait till april since I preordered it with rose in the twilight. On another note, I found the PS3 Japanese LE of Atelier Shallie Premium Box at bookoff yesterday for $35. It has the 5 soundtrack cd for their 20th anniversary. Bought it just for that. It's gorgeous.
Is Bookoff a store in NYC? I'd definitely have to go one of these days if it has Niche LEs on sale.

Now there's a thought, one that could garner some good will with customers and still let Nintendo keep raking in the money.  They could offer one dollar of virtual console credit for every $10 spent on accessories.   e.g. buying a $70 classic controller pro would give you $7 to spend on VC games.

People would be happy and feel like they're getting something worthwhile for their money and Nintendo would sell its plastic.  Win-win.

Nintendo really needs to stop being so stingy with their supporters.  This would cost them next to nothing. 

No new race tracks in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Joy-Con Grip included with Switch doesn’t charge the controllers

Reggie on lack of bundled game with Switch, approach to pricing, 1-2-Switch and Wii Sports comparisons

tumblr_myng3zBWPC1srbyoyo1_400.gif

As much as I love the inclusion of Splatoon in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe asking for $60 with no new tracks is crazy. I guess I'll forgive them IF they include Block Fort and Double Deck as part of the new Battle Mode stages. Those two stages were too ahead of it's time in Mario Kart 64 but now with 16 players online they need to make a comeback (yes I know Block Fort was in Mario Kart DS but it didn't have online so it was wasted potential).

You changed your signature.
It's from Manabi not so Straight

1200241025920_zpsmxcn08iy.jpg

I really hope Lyndis is playable in Fire Emblem Warriors
Lyn started the Fire Emblem waifus craze before Fire Emblem became all about waifus so if she's not included it'll be an insult to her.

I hope they continue with DLC updates for Guilty Gear. I think I might've bought it during one of the times it went on sale, not too sure. Was never too big of a Guilty Gear fan, but I liked Blazblue. I bought the first I think 4 iterations of it before I got sick of buying a new one every year. I don't care about the story though, so I guess other people who do would prefer how they did it.
I always have a hard time reading your posts, there's just so many lovely distractions that I can't focus on your post. It's like when NeoMonk had his Overwatch gifs.

gamecube virtual console...... take my money nintendo xD
I like the gamecube virtual console I've made for myself on my original Wii a lot more.

If N really wanted this to happen in the Switch's future, why wouldn't they give you more than 32gb* of data? If you buy Zelda digitally it takes more than half of the available data on the Switch, too.

Anyone know if you have to be familiar with the story of the Fate series before playing Fate/Extella? Like is it similar to Final Fantasy with a brand new story each game, or do I have to play the previous games like Fate/Extra, and watch Fate/Stay Night anime before I play it to really understand the story? Thanks!

Players will experience the story of Fate/Extella from the perspectives of three heroine Servants and face off against opponents from a variety of Fate productions—including characters from Fate/Extra, Fate/stay night, Fate/Zero, Fate/Apocrypha, and Fate/Grand Order—in action-based battles. It is set on the new world of Extella in a future ruled by the all-powerful lunar super computer Moon Cell Automaton, where the game’s cast of Servants must battle it out for dominance over a digital realm known as “SE.RA.PH.”
Read more at http://gematsu.com/2016/11/fateextella-story-introduction-trailer#yUFJWuRiR3WA7K44.99
So I think it might be helpful so you know the cast and the reason they are all fighting.

I have only seen the three, Fate/Stay NIght , Fate/Zero and player Fate/Extra

From what I was able to translate while playing the Japanese version, knowledge of Fate/Extra and even Fate/Extra CCC (which was never localized) would definitely help with trying to understand the story in Extella, especially the beginning. Other than that, the game itself should do a good job of explaining the new stuff.

Gravity Rush was one of the first Vita games I played. The art was nice and the gameplay was semi-interesting. But I got bored and put it down midway. *shrug*
I don't really find that too surprising as I didn't feel too engaged in the first half. I think most of the love for it is the gameplay in 3D space. It has some personality, but it's lacking in a few areas to make it a really good game in my opinion.

If N really wanted this to happen in the Switch's future, why wouldn't they give you more than 32gb* of data? If you buy Zelda digitally it takes more than half of the available data on the Switch, too.
I honestly believe that Nintendo only views the internal storage as storage reserved strictly for the Switch itself and nothing else. So they don't feel the need to spend any more money on increasing it.

tumblr_myng3zBWPC1srbyoyo1_400.gif

It's from Manabi not so Straight

1200241025920_zpsmxcn08iy.jpg
I will never forgive Wade Barrett since he broke up with Alicia Fox and made her cry. He deserves to be jobless right now.

Fox-TD-2-gifs-001_001.gif

Oh hey look, the picture on the top left from the Manabi screenshots looks like us! Oh wait, the bottom right one looks even more like EdJericho and BlackRockWaifu! So does the bottom left one! Especially the top right picture! What a coincidence!

So I think it might be helpful so you know the cast and the reason they are all fighting.

I have only seen the three, Fate/Stay NIght , Fate/Zero and player Fate/Extra
From what I was able to translate while playing the Japanese version, knowledge of Fate/Extra and even Fate/Extra CCC (which was never localized) would definitely help with trying to understand the story in Extella, especially the beginning. Other than that, the game itself should do a good job of explaining the new stuff.
Thanks! For some reason the number of Saber figures I have exceeds the number of Fate episodes I watched. Good thing the game explains it well. I do have a copy of Extra and a PSP, but probably don't want to go through all of that. I might watch Unlimited Blade Works though, I remember a friend saying it was a remake and the definitive version or something. Then there's the visual novels too...

Thanks! For some reason the number of Saber figures I have exceeds the number of Fate episodes I watched. Good thing the game explains it well. I do have a copy of Extra and a PSP, but probably don't want to go through all of that. I might watch Unlimited Blade Works though, I remember a friend saying it was a remake and the definitive version or something. Then there's the visual novels too...
A fellow Saber figure collector, nice! :) The Unlimited Blade Works anime is really good, the studio who did the animation (Ufotable) really did the series justice. There's also the movie version as well, if you want quicker access to the story for that route. The animation for that one was not done by Ufotable, but I think it was still pretty good. As for Fate/Extra, yeah, you probably don't want to start that right now (it's complicated and the battle system is infuriating). You can always take a look at any wikis to understand whats going on in the game prior to playing Extella.

Is Bookoff a store in NYC? I'd definitely have to go one of these days if it has Niche LEs on sale.
Fate/Extella is really only tied to Fate/Extra so you could just read up on that. That said, Extra's story was not very good imo.

You won't be able to fully appreciate characters like Gilgamesh and Cu without having seen them in the other series.

I'm just getting it for the action-y fan service tbh. Not all that interested in the story.

Yup Bookoff is a japanese used bookstore. It's in midtown, you can get there by taking any train to 42nd st bryant park(or times square) and walking up a few blocks. It's my favorite store in the city. Have gotten a lot of rare finds there, like artbooks, import games, $1 japanese manga(unfortunately they raised the price recently).

While you're in the area, might as well check out kinokuniya too. Though I never buy anything at kino since they're so damn expensive. It's really cheaper to just import from japan and pay the shipping charges than pay kino's inflated prices.

Btw, here's a pic of the atelier cds I took.

L7GkBwr.jpg

Any chance for that Tales of Berseria CE to come available from anyone? I missed out on pre-ordering. I have every tales game in the US and collectors editions. Hopefully something pops up.

Fate/Extella is really only tied to Fate/Extra so you could just read up on that. That said, Extra's story was not very good imo.
You won't be able to fully appreciate characters like Gilgamesh and Cu without having seen them in the other series.
I'm just getting it for the action-y fan service tbh. Not all that interested in the story.

Yup Bookoff is a japanese used bookstore. It's in midtown, you can get there by taking any train to 42nd st bryant park(or times square) and walking up a few blocks. It's my favorite store in the city. Have gotten a lot of rare finds there, like artbooks, import games, $1 japanese manga(unfortunately they raised the price recently).

While you're in the area, might as well check out kinokuniya too. Though I never buy anything at kino since they're so damn expensive. It's really cheaper to just import from japan and pay the shipping charges than pay kino's inflated prices.

Btw, here's a pic of the atelier cds I took.
L7GkBwr.jpg
This is really cool. Surprised I didn't know anything about these stores. Will have to check them out one of these days

The prices in my Book Off aren't that great. 

They used to do flat prices a few years ago, but then they started using Ebay or whatever place to price their things now. 

Sometimes I catch them slipping. But I don't live close to the Book Off, so I only go there a fw times a year

I find it hard to find a deal in Book Off, there's potential and hidden gems in there but it requires a lot of time scanning each shelf of books n stuff 1 by 1 to find those gems.
The Book off in Japan is different in that they are Barnes & Nobel huge with deals galore.
Kinokuniya is great for finding sold out rare stuff at msrp. they do mark up most stuff but it has an awesome magazine section & a cool store layout with cafe to chill at.

I find it hard to find a deal in Book Off, there's potential and hidden gems in there but it requires a lot of time scanning each shelf of books n stuff 1 by 1 to find those gems.
The Book off in Japan is different in that they are Barnes & Nobel huge with deals galore.
Kinokuniya is great for finding sold out rare stuff at msrp. they do mark up most stuff but it has an awesome magazine section & a cool store layout with cafe to chill at.
so for Kinokuniya, can you find sold out stuff for msrp or are things marked up? I'm confused.

I never knew about the existence of either of these stores. Gonna make time to check them out some time this week during lunch.

I like the gamecube virtual console I've made for myself on my original Wii a lot more.

I'm not tech savvy so I wouldn't be able to pirate games like you are assuming that is what you are implying. Main reason I'd be down for gamecube digital releases is simply due to how expensive and rare a number of titles are that I would love to have. Most notably skies of arcadia.

Ahaha holy shit NYC cag field trips would be great. We could go group shopping to a different store every week. I'd be down
I would actually be interested in this as well since I like cheap things and even if I didn't find anything window shopping is always good entertainment.

It'll probably come back for a bit around the release date.
assuming they didn't underprint this one. They have been overprinting all the other ce's so they would go on sale alot due to leftovers. Just last year or so they still had tox1 ce's for 40$ they were trying to push off. I can't recall if there were any extras of zestirias ce floating around though. if there wern't then that's not a good sign.

Oh and heads up so5 is 18$ new on amazon for ps4.

so for Kinokuniya, can you find sold out stuff for msrp or are things marked up? I'm confused.

I never knew about the existence of either of these stores. Gonna make time to check them out some time this week during lunch.
Usually kinokuniya is a few bucks more than say amazon or other online import shops, but you get the luxury of seeing it in person & having it in your hands at that exact moment. it's also a 3 floor B&M store in mid town nyc near time square so rent has got to be crazy insane high.

Also their price would be better than 3rd party scalpers on sold out newer stuff.

Tokyo Xanadu is coming to Vita physically and digitally this summer and Tokyo Xanada eX is coming this winter. Im surprised

Thanks based Aksys. I will be double dipping now

Always go for the more enchanced versions of games, so will be getting the Tokyo Xanadu eX version. Worked for Akiba's Trip. Easily a game I want to play!

I'll probably end up just waiting on getting Tokyo Xanadu eX+ for the PC unless the port is terrible rather than double-dipping. Although I'm surprised we're getting the eX+ version at all. The game itself ss like a poor mans Legend of Heroes game with a more modernized theme from what I've always read, along with action based combat that's part Xanadu and part Ys. Looks like it includes Japanese voices as well (No English VO). It's nice that it's hitting in fall which isn't too far behind the base game, but I'm wondering how different the enhanced eX+ version is to the Trails/Kiseki series enhanced Evolution games when it comes to licensing.

EDIT: What's added in the enhanced eX+ port over the original Vita version:

- 60FPS (Vita was 30FPS with drops) at 1080p. (PS4 version, obviously. PC will depend on the port quality)

- New Playable Character.

- New Side Stories for the main cast other than the MC, Kou.

- After Story that's available post-game which takes place several months after the main story.

- New dungeons.

- New music.

- Changes to Asuka character after she unlocks something via story.

- Re-balances difficulty across the board. (Vita was considered 'too easy', even on the hardest difficulty)

- Adds a new, harder difficulty, Calamity.

- Adds Time Attack & Boss Rush modes.

man the P5 soundtrack sounds amazing if you listen to this 10min compilation. This has got to be one of the best video game soundtracks ever. We all know how we already feel about P3 & P4. The new one definitely seems to go above and beyond anything with all of the samples that I've heard so far. I think I'm just going to have to drop the 100 bucks and buy all three soundtracks from Amazon JP: P3, P4, and P5.

Also..Lucy Heartfilia, soooo hot. The English voice actress (Cherami Leigh) does a great job with her appeal.

I refuse to use the word "waifu" but I already know who my favorite P5 girl is going to be: Makoto Niijima. Liked her the most even before the reveal of her voice actress.

Also..Lucy Heartfilia, soooo hot. The English voice actress (Cherami Leigh) does a great job with her appeal.
But Lucy isn't even the best girl in Fairy Tail.... lol. But yea Cherami Leigh is great as a voice actress. I know the English cast for P5 has been announced for a while now, but I'm glad that they brought a bunch of new voice actors to the series (no more Yuri and Johnny, lol).

So is the Gravity Rush 2 pre-order bonus only available in Amazon? I was planning to pre-order it on Best Buy with the Visa checkout promotion but I don't see the pre-order bonus in the games description.

bread's done
Back