Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
can't believe I ever backed that shit... we're gonna go 2 years w/out anything to show for my $80

You can invest on soybeans and with this much time you'd see something back.. :nottalking:
The average game related KS that I've seen or been a part of, 2 years is about the average(and then some).

I've backed a few games during the last couple of years, I've been happy so far with what I chose.

- Path of Exile

- Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

- Yooka-Laylee

- Shenmue III

- Indivisible

- Sundered

Does anyone have some suggestions of their favorite paid DLC for Japanese games? I've already grabbed the full games that are digital only I've been interested in like Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds + the Kurisu DLC, as well as some Samurai Warriors 4/4-II costume DLC, and the Future Tone Season Pass. Beyond that, not much else.

After getting a large amount of trade credit at a local store I'm noticing that getting newer releases is kind of a pain with whomever their small distributor is. My solution has been to just pick up lots of prepaid digital storefront cards. Unfortunately, PlayStation has a cap of $150 on wallet balances so I can't store up more than that at a time.

I guess all that DOA5LR DLC is an option... But I'm still kind of betting that whenever they stop making new DLC they'll bundle all the old stuff together in some way with some kind of discount. The real question is if they'll really ever stop making it at this point. Haha.
you know i am extremely curious on how many folks are still buying all this DLC and how many have all of the DLC....and really if there ever is some kind of plan to discount any of this like ever.

whats funny is i wish wrestling games would adopt this infinite DLC model really.

the amount of tales games i've bought and never touched is simply mind blowing....the only ones i've ever played were the two tales of symphonia games which i enjoyed.

still got the massive collector editions of tales of xilla i think it was 1 and 2 sealed.

What're my chances of getting my hands on a copy of Muv-luv for vita (or ps4 if they're doing it) having not backed the project?
giphy.gif

you know i am extremely curious on how many folks are still buying all this DLC and how many have all of the DLC....and really if there ever is some kind of plan to discount any of this like ever.
The individual sets go on sale constantly but as for the Season Passes they go on sale a year after they were released. Example, Season Pass 3 which came out December 2015 was on sale for the first time this past December. You can expect Season Pass 4 to be on sale sometime in April, the sale price if I'm not mistaken was $64 so it's only around $30 off from the original price for waiting a whole year. I still buy them but I wait for the sales since I don't honestly play the game much anyway.

The individual sets go on sale constantly but as for the Season Passes they go on sale a year after they were released. Example, Season Pass 3 which came out December 2015 was on sale for the first time this past December. You can expect Season Pass 4 to be on sale sometime in April, the sale price if I'm not mistaken was $64 so it's only around $30 off from the original price for waiting a whole year. I still buy them but I wait for the sales since I don't honestly play the game much anyway.
i seriously had no idea of this. i'll keep an eye out in april

and constantly? i've checked XBL gold threads before and i rarely see the DLC up for sale. so i must be blind then.

can't believe I ever backed that shit... we're gonna go 2 years w/out anything to show for my $80

You can invest on soybeans and with this much time you'd see something back.. :nottalking:
I'm not surprised it's taking so long especially when they said they gonna use the JP Vita release as the base (which wasn't even out yet when then KS ended I believe?) Anyways KS delivery dates should be taken with a TON of salt. I backed a PC game called Star Command back in 2013. It's 2017 and it still haven't left early access in Steam. Honestly I have stop backing anything on KS unless I'm a huge fan of the VN.

i seriously had no idea of this. i'll keep an eye out in april

and constantly? i've checked XBL gold threads before and i rarely see the DLC up for sale. so i must be blind then.
Well I was talking about for the PS4, I completely forgot the game exists for Xbox One. The sales might be different between the two platforms in that case since there's even a few sets on sale at the moment.

You could try and see if XBL has them on sale to know if they do equal sales or not.

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round

I'm not surprised it's taking so long especially when they said they gonna use the JP Vita release as the base (which wasn't even out yet when then KS ended I believe?) Anyways KS delivery dates should be taken with a TON of salt. I backed a PC game called Star Command back in 2013. It's 2017 and it still haven't left early access in Steam. Honestly I have stop backing anything on KS unless I'm a huge fan of the VN.
I went through a Kickstarter phase myself. I usually don't pledge on Kickstarter unless the games really need my help and usually for localizing VNs. I got a slew of average, maybe even bad games, so after that I was like nope! Those board games are not in my collection anymore, and one of the game gathers dust in my Steam library.

I played DoA 5:LR the other night and couldn't find a match online no matter what settings I tried so who knows.
I haven't touched the game in months but, even then, the online matchmaking left much to be desired. There didn't seem to be many matches available, and the lobbies that were open either had mostly A-rank fighters and above, or low levels who would boot you after a single win. It was next to impossible to find any casual mid-range players.

DOA is one of my favorite fighting games, but wish they'd make some changes to their online setup. The best online matchmaking system I've seen for a fighting game was in Injustice.

There is something to show. You should've gotten a steam code for Muv Luv already. It's not 2 years yet. It will be 2 years this November. And at least the Vita version is real. Unlike *cough Sekai Project *cough

Leagues better than Grisaia.

What're my chances of getting my hands on a copy of Muv-luv for vita (or ps4 if they're doing it) having not backed the project?
Not really high

I am. I'm going to finish the platinum on Trails of Cold Steel 2 and then pick one more game (probably Steins; Gate Zero) to play until Persona 5 is out. When P5 is out, I'll put down SG0 until I'm done with P5.
I'm playing cold steel 2 myself right now. Just got most of the party members. I'm assuming I am just missing angelica and reans sister out of the remaining party members. I'm not sure if I like how they rebalanced the party members stats in the sequel. On one hand its nice that fies attack stat isn't sub par anymore but on the other hand lauras isn't super high anymore D: can't wait till I get the regain cp after killing enemies accessory again so I can just spam sharons wire moves every fight and one shot crap.

whats funny is i wish wrestling games would adopt this infinite DLC model really.

the amount of tales games i've bought and never touched is simply mind blowing....the only ones i've ever played were the two tales of symphonia games which i enjoyed.

still got the massive collector editions of tales of xilla i think it was 1 and 2 sealed.
xillia 2 is the only one that remains in my backlog now. Until I buy berseria anyway but I'm gonna wait till 20$ as per usual since there's no reason to pay 40-60 when they always drop to 20 by black friday.

There is something to show. You should've gotten a steam code for Muv Luv already. It's not 2 years yet. It will be 2 years this November. And at least the Vita version is real. Unlike *cough Sekai Project *cough

That's why I'm really hesitant on backing for the physical of A Clockwork Ley-Line on KS. Knowing Sekai they gonna wait for all 3 to be done just so they could save on shipping.

I'm playing cold steel 2 myself right now. Just got most of the party members. I'm assuming I am just missing angelica and reans sister out of the remaining party members. I'm not sure if I like how they rebalanced the party members stats in the sequel. On one hand its nice that fies attack stat isn't sub par anymore but on the other hand lauras isn't super high anymore D: can't wait till I get the regain cp after killing enemies accessory again so I can just spam sharons wire moves every fight and one shot crap.
Laura is still super OP, especially if you fight the bonus boss on your second playthrough and put the drop from him on her with the Murakumo quartz and stack her orbment with strength increasing quartzes. I was consistently doing 650K damage with her super that way.

Got my plat in that game tonight. I really liked it, it's one of my all time fav RPGs. Even though the difficulty is easier to break than most RPGs, I really loved the story and characters. I could take or leave most video game characters but these ones really appealed to me.

I haven't touched the game in months but, even then, the online matchmaking left much to be desired. There didn't seem to be many matches available, and the lobbies that were open either had mostly A-rank fighters and above, or low levels who would boot you after a single win. It was next to impossible to find any casual mid-range players.

DOA is one of my favorite fighting games, but wish they'd make some changes to their online setup. The best online matchmaking system I've seen for a fighting game was in Injustice.
Yeah I made a lobby too and left it open for quite awhile and no one entered it.

I keep hoping that the inevitable DOA5: Lastest Round, No Really Guys Edition will include all the costume DLC, but it's pretty obviously vain hope at this point.

Honestly, though, I'm just still kinda peeved about how they've charged for every single character they've added despite their original claim that they'd never charge for new characters back around the time the original released.

I'm a bit confused. Are you implying my chances of getting Muv-Luv is equivalent to that of me tossing a knife and hitting a passerby in the head?
I think he was just posting an amusing gif, don't make it weird.

Not really high
Sekai has promised a lot of Vita ports. Have they managed to put even a single one out yet?

I keep hoping that the inevitable DOA5: Lastest Round, No Really Guys Edition will include all the costume DLC, but it's pretty obviously vain hope at this point.

Honestly, though, I'm just still kinda peeved about how they've charged for every single character they've added despite their original claim that they'd never charge for new characters back around the time the original released.

I think he was just posting an amusing gif, don't make it weird.
yeah i've been hoping for that ultimate DLC loaded version for years now....rather surprised it hasnt happened. im more annoyed that the DLC costs so freaking much....granted the costumes are 10000x better than what any other DLC fighter offers, but still.

xillia 2 is the only one that remains in my backlog now. Until I buy berseria anyway but I'm gonna wait till 20$ as per usual since there's no reason to pay 40-60 when they always drop to 20 by black friday.
yeah i've stopped adding tales games to my backlog even though it is tempting for reasons i cannot fathom lol. i've heard theyve improved the gameplay over the past few games.

Well I was talking about for the PS4, I completely forgot the game exists for Xbox One. The sales might be different between the two platforms in that case since there's even a few sets on sale at the moment.

You could try and see if XBL has them on sale to know if they do equal sales or not.
thanks....ninja clan fullset is the only one i see that is equal. the XBL thread on CAG doesnt even mention it....so who knows.

Laura is still super OP, especially if you fight the bonus boss on your second playthrough and put the drop from him on her with the Murakumo quartz and stack her orbment with strength increasing quartzes. I was consistently doing 650K damage with her super that way.

Got my plat in that game tonight. I really liked it, it's one of my all time fav RPGs. Even though the difficulty is easier to break than most RPGs, I really loved the story and characters. I could take or leave most video game characters but these ones really appealed to me.
Yeah, if you load her up with strength gear, and strength quartz, she's a powerhouse. Not to mention use Rean's Motivate, Noble Jusis' Noble command, and Laura's Radiant Wings. I somehow beat the Magic Knight Isra-Zamiel on Nightmare mode, but after some leveling since I didn't want to do a 3rd playthrough. I'm not too proud to say it took me about 15 fights to get a good method down.

Yeah, if you load her up with strength gear, and strength quartz, she's a powerhouse. Not to mention use Rean's Motivate, Noble Jusis' Noble command, and Laura's Radiant Wings. I somehow beat the Magic Knight Isra-Zamiel on Nightmare mode, but after some leveling since I didn't want to do a 3rd playthrough. I'm not too proud to say it took me about 15 fights to get a good method down.
Isra-Zamiel is the biggest pain in the ass of a boss I've ever fought in an RPG. You gotta love how he gets to take 5 turns in a row to buff himself, heal himself almost completely of any damage that you've done to him, and bring all of your characters to near death all at the same time. I'm not sure it's even possible without stacking Laura and Rean's supers the way we did.

This is super helpful information. Thanks! I knew I had seen the season passes go on sale very rarely previously, but I didn't know there was a pattern like this to follow.

If you are on Xbox instead of PS4 you can at least still get the GungHo Booth Babe costume from TGS 2013 for free. I think it was limited time and removed from PSN.. They probably forgot about it on Xbox? :p

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/dead-or-alive-5-last-round-gungho-booth-babe-costume/bzx5g15362kd

I made it through my first route in Chronoclock, clocking in about 7ish hours to get to that point. I actually was enjoying the story a decent amount in the route I choose (Michiru I believe). Very good graphics in this one with pretty decent music and voice acting. The main issue I have is with the way the route was laid out. I think the main characters involved and one sub character were handled well. It got very emotional and was quite good. The ending and epilogue left a lot to be desired though. For one, the other side characters never really got involved at all other than maybe one scene. Also while the ending was satisfactory enough, the epilogue was terrible. It felt short and pretty much just reiterated the ending. Also there was one huge issue that was never touched in the ending (if you know this route...it's pretty obvious). It was ignored and frankly just kind of a yeah that issue doesn't matter at all. Also at some point in the route a secret was revealed....but they never showed it being revealed and it had 0 impact on the story, though the characters were consistently worried about would happen if the secret got out.

Overall it's a decent game to play with high production values, but really the story is likely going to be its Achilles's Heel. This is the exact opposite of Da Capo 3, which I felt dragged and dragged the story even if the story and characters themselves were fully developed. This one has fun characters but with a lesser story. I really can't wait to play the other game planned for localization from this company (Hapymaher) and hope it has a more developed story. It's fun enough that i'll complete it, but it feels like it's missing a very good story. Also the localization is freakin' garbage for the extra scenes after the story, which is where 90% of the adult content comes from. There are many marks which look like line breaks but are in the scenes themselves. Just very poorly done whoever did it. The 18+ content is not that good and mainly in scenes unlocked after the story, so a cheaper Steam version is alright if you want to experience the story.

I'll give more impressions as I go on different routes, but for now it's very decent, but just not enough there....equaling about a 7/10 or so.

Smash Bros. Link amiibo unlocks Epona

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sts_ZOqwGE

Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U disc art

Nintendo honors Harambe with 1-2 Switch mini-game (Reggie: "Harambe was a huge fan of Nintendo, we want his legacy to live forever")

Switch has Friend Codes after all

olc0ogG8su1twgfw0o1_540_zpsqvnlfbjc.gif

Let's see what the critics are saying

I'm really glad Nintendo brought back friend codes. I feel safer already!
yeah i've been hoping for that ultimate DLC loaded version for years now....rather surprised it hasnt happened. im more annoyed that the DLC costs so freaking much....granted the costumes are 10000x better than what any other DLC fighter offers, but still.
That would be TOO generous of Koei Tecmo to do especially with how much they can gain selling the DLC separately. I highly doubt it since DOA5: Last Round didn't even include all the DLC costumes that were in DOA5: Ultimate you need to buy the Ultimate set which is also $93 like the Season Passes.

Tekken 7 adds Eddy Gordo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSgATvZxZm4
fuck that! Where's Christie Monteiro? I need my delicious brown waifu.

BlackRockWaifu: How can you keep playing as only D.Va and Tracer and not get tired of them
EdJericho: Love
BlackRockWaifu: That's actually a good answer

Overwatch reveals new hero Orisa

Orisa Origin Story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvm0of3iDUU

Orisa Developer Update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWqhXWRaMmU

Bonus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNVIk_hTrXk

yeah i've stopped adding tales games to my backlog even though it is tempting for reasons i cannot fathom lol. i've heard theyve improved the gameplay over the past few games.

thanks....ninja clan fullset is the only one i see that is equal. the XBL thread on CAG doesnt even mention it....so who knows.
actually tales got worse with zesty being a low point in the series. berseria is a massive improvement though but is still lacking compared to vesperia and symphonia spell wise. I want large spells back. I want healing artes back. And I want usage increase effects back. if usage for say fireball giving it nine more hits and being instacast made a return it would keep spells from becoming obsolete.

please buff bastion and orisa.

btw orisa is already in the ptr, you can find people playing her on twitch streams.

actually tales got worse with zesty being a low point in the series. berseria is a massive improvement though but is still lacking compared to vesperia and symphonia spell wise. I want large spells back. I want healing artes back. And I want usage increase effects back. if usage for say fireball giving it nine more hits and being instacast made a return it would keep spells from becoming obsolete.
hmm that is a shame then.

and they seriously took out heal artes? really? i thought a healer was basically standard RPG character 101.

I think at one point the inside was the outside of the case. glad they switched it.

also I didn't notice the ce was sold out on amazon. damm i forgot to order since it kept getting pushed back. hope it comes back, still got a month.

and they seriously took out heal artes? really? i thought a healer was basically standard RPG character 101.
There are healing artes in the game. What's he's talking about is there's no strictly healing character that has the big heals that you see in older Tales games. They've been more or less single target or relatively small AoE circles and for the most part. Since you're not beholden to spending all your money at equipment from town to town, you can freely buy healing items and use them much more liberally too. Plus there are abilities that aren't healing artes which will heal you a little bit as well.

Inside of the Persona 5 Steelbook
https://twitter.com/AtlusUSA/status/837393446323142656/photo/1
Am I the only one who thinks that looks way too cluttered and busy for the inside of a case? I mean, I'm still getting it, but I think it looks horrifically garish.

Those look kind of like PSP case dimensions.

[customspoiler=Also]
Screen_Shot_2017_03_02_at_5_13_13_PM.png

[customspoiler=WAHAHAHA]
xzKvr.png
[/customspoiler][/customspoiler]

There are healing artes in the game. What's he's talking about is there's no strictly healing character that has the big heals that you see in older Tales games. They've been more or less single target or relatively small AoE circles and for the most part. Since you're not beholden to spending all your money at equipment from town to town, you can freely buy healing items and use them much more liberally too. Plus there are abilities that aren't healing artes which will heal you a little bit as well.
you both got it wrong there are no healing artes but healing spells are still present though significantly fewer.

Lucky....

My Zelda Master Edition still hasn't been shipped...  :cry:

Edit: It just shipped! :)

I got my First 4 Figures Link Breath of the Wild PVC Statue from Best Buy today, the box is very light from what I thought it would be but the statue is absolutely Breathtaking. (pun intended) It's very detailed and would make a great piece to anyones Zelda collection.

bread's done
Back