Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
NieR: Automata was enjoyable, but man did it get repetitive. I managed to beat it sooner than originally planned thanks to a minor injury that hasn't allowed me to move around much this last week. Got the first three endings completely done. Technically I guess there are two more optional ones, but I don't feel like doing it right now. I can't really say much without giving anything away, but I will say that they could have and totally should have just made it one playthrough to the end instead of breaking it up in three parts. Oh and I never want to hear that la la la song again. It really annoys me for whatever reason.

I guess I'll move onto Atelier Firis since I'm waiting for a friend to get a switch to borrow it and play Zelda. Bought it on PC because I have all this Steam credit now and it was still discounted. Runs well and I'm using ReShade to give it some options it should have in the base game that the PS4 Pro has enabled. Also disappointed that they're using 1280×720 UI/localization assets still. They've said that they're going to fix it, but man Koei Tecmo really knows how to fuck up PC ports. I'll never understand how they do it damn near every time.

I guess I did kinda cheat in Firis since right after leaving the starting town, I intentionally got a game over so I can restart on NG+ to have the benefit of all costume effects work simultaneously no matter what costume I wear. I only lost like 30-45 minutes so it wasn't bad.
Link to the reshade? Does it fix the shadow issue?

So far with my time with Firis, I really enjoy it. World feels big and well designed. Firis a cute.

Our fellow PC friends (motaku96) will soon be able to play PS4 games.

Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash smartphone browser mini-game launched

PS4 games coming to PlayStation Now in 2017
I've been considering importing it as well not just because I'd love to play it soon but with how slow it'll be to localize we won't see it until the Holidays and by then Splatoon 2 and Star Wars Battlefront 2 will be out.
Hm? Hmm....

I wouldn't get ahead of myself, you have to stream the games in order to actually play them. Besides, it's $100 a year for PS Now, you can practically buy a PS4 in two years worth of time. That said, you don't have to pay for any of the games you play, but most in this thread prefer Physical over Digital anyway. It's a cool idea but I feel like people haven't considered all the variables yet. Does anyone actually use PS Now here?

I was thinking too, if you haven't bought or wanted to buy a PS4 yet, and are still waiting for that special line up of games to come out, you'll probably never want one. The only games on the horizon that might make an impact are The Last of Us 2 and God of War 4. If Bloodborne, The Last Guardian, and Horizon haven't done the job yet, it's highly unlikely any new IPs coming up, Death Stranding, Days Gone, Detroit, etc. will be significant enough.  

Link to the reshade? Does it fix the shadow issue?

So far with my time with Firis, I really enjoy it. World feels big and well designed. Firis a cute.
No it doesn't. Nothing does to my knowledge. ReShade is somewhat similar to SweetFX if you're familiar with that.

ReShade Homepage

Some settings to try in that ini profile you create for the game while in the game.

It doesn't really fix anything and unfortunately the Ambient Occlusion bleeds through UI elements. It's mostly noticeable during fog and when you're crafting alchemy. Doesn't bother me much since in general it looks a bit better outside of that creepy ass silhouette during alchemy.

For anyone interested in Disgaea 5 Complete for Nintendo Switch, apparently you can import the game from Japan and get full English subtitles and voices. The boxart is the only thing that seems to be different. I just found out about this, and I am completely shocked that the game supports this. 

Region Free is amazing!

Also makes you wonder why we have to wait 2+ months for the retail release everywhere else.

For anyone interested in Disgaea 5 Complete for Nintendo Switch, apparently you can import the game from Japan and get full English subtitles and voices. The boxart is the only thing that seems to be different. I just found out about this, and I am completely shocked that the game supports this.

Region Free is amazing!

Also makes you wonder why we have to wait 2+ months for the retail release everywhere else.
Normal people haven't beaten Ganon twice now.

Poor, poor Atlus.
Persona 5 is a great game, but I was referring to games you can only play on the PS4. If someone doesn't want a PS4, they might as well play it on a PS3. Same goes for any console exclusives that release on XB1 as well, and games that eventually port over to PC. Basically the gems of the PS4 library has been laid out these past few years, and if they haven't convinced you to buy one yet, future releases will doubtly do so.

Ray Gigant limited run physical edition announced

2nne6b.jpg
I bought and platinumed the digital release of the game. It wasn't that great, but I'll more than likely buy it just to have it on my shelf.

If you play FE Heroes, there is an update today.

Adds new characters and gives lots of sign in bonus like 20 orbs ( enough for a summon) 5 great badges to evolve 4 stars into 5 stars.

I just summoned from the new section and got 3 4 Stars, including gunter and cordelia.

Was so happy to get her, was using Cherche but she is so much better, she has Galeforce and Astra, mind you its a lot of SP to get them but well worth it.

Last summon I got a Marth which is really good and had to swap Fredrick with him and Odin with Julia.

NieR: Automata was enjoyable, but man did it get repetitive. I managed to beat it sooner than originally planned thanks to a minor injury that hasn't allowed me to move around much this last week. Got the first three endings completely done. Technically I guess there are two more optional ones, but I don't feel like doing it right now. I can't really say much without giving anything away, but I will say that they could have and totally should have just made it one playthrough to the end instead of breaking it up in three parts. Oh and I never want to hear that la la la song again. It really annoys me for whatever reason.
So it's worth a go right? With Horizon ZD, FFXV, and still Cold Steel II (sigh), seems I have plenty to keep me busy but I wonder if I should drop one and pick up Nier Automata?

Those days when being sick was a rite of passage to skip school are long gone and now being sick is just horrible. It did allow me to binge on Gravity Rush 2 though. And I LOVE it. Hope to finish it by this week since I only have a few story missions left.

Tthe challenge missions are pretty easy to get gold on with the exception of Lunar Style Slide Race II. Never doing that one again.

Unless you grind and/or mine precious gems endlessly, don't expect to have Kat all powered up for the final chapter. 21,000+ precious gems. Really? So far though having them all at about halfway seems to be just fine on normal difficulty.

Several pieces from GR1 were reused but the new compositions are fantastic. https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01MSYWQRK/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Oh, DO NOT buy the soundtrack from PSN; you'll only get 15 pieces of music - FIVE more than the "Director's Choice." Don't get ripped off. And...if you didn't like the first game altogether well 2 isn't going to change your mind.

Full thoughts are coming whenever I finish it (read: 2018 :lol: )

Does NISA even launch demos?

So it's worth a go right? With Horizon ZD, FFXV, and still Cold Steel II (sigh), seems I have plenty to keep me busy but I wonder if I should drop one and pick up Nier Automata?

Those days when being sick was a rite of passage to skip school are long gone and now being sick is just horrible. It did allow me to binge on Gravity Rush 2 though. And I LOVE it. Hope to finish it by this week since I only have a few story missions left.
It's worth playing, sure. Dropping one and picking it up though? That's going to really vary from person to person. However Final Fantasy XV in my opinion is very underwhelming and while I enjoyed the beginning, everything just kind of went downhill from there.

I'm not as big with NieR as seemingly most everybody else on the internet is. If you don't feel the need to play it right away, just go ahead and wait to purchase it until you get around to finishing other stuff. It may well likely have discounted by then and you aren't increasing your backlog further. It's not like the games going anywhere.

I still haven't even bought Gravity Rush 2 though. I enjoyed the first game, but like NieR, I'm not that into it. I'll get it eventually, but no rush since I wouldn't be playing it right away. With Persona 5 in three weeks, your backlog is only going to grow more than likely though. Plus Trails in the Sky the 3rd is just around the corner as well.

Currently with the slew of releases, you're not going to win against your backlog.

I still need to finish Second Chapter and replay Cold Steel since I lost my save file for it.

Almost at the end of the main story for Horizon and love the lore and adventure along the way.

I almost got the super suit and going for more upgraded weapons.

The voice actor for Helis is the same that does Roy Harper from Young Justice.

Region Free is amazing!

Yup i did it, its literally the full english game. Just ordered Setsuna as well since Im worried it may be a limited print run and its been selling out almost instantly everywhere you can import.

That Disgaea 5 thing about the Japanese version having English as well is pretty neat. But I'll only consider it as long as the import price is not too much, and it looks like the digital version is around $65 after converting from Yen. Physical would be nice, but that'll probably end up costing a bit more. I'll probably wait a bit.

Also did some rolls in Fire Emblem this morning. Managed to get Ninian, so I am pretty much set for this whole banner. She is who I wanted the most :)

Senran Kagura is looking more and more tempting after that collaboration news, so I'm going to cave and import it haha. Not sure if to get it through Play-Asia or Amiami. Need to find out which one is cheaper.

Persona 5 is a great game, but I was referring to games you can only play on the PS4. If someone doesn't want a PS4, they might as well play it on a PS3. Same goes for any console exclusives that release on XB1 as well, and games that eventually port over to PC. Basically the gems of the PS4 library has been laid out these past few years, and if they haven't convinced you to buy one yet, future releases will doubtly do so.
Honestly, I keep forgetting P5 is on PS3.

That Disgaea 5 thing about the Japanese version having English as well is pretty neat. But I'll only consider it as long as the import price is not too much, and it looks like the digital version is around $65 after converting from Yen. Physical would be nice, but that'll probably end up costing a bit more. I'll probably wait.
Was around 61$ for me physically. Couldnt justify 65$+ for digital

To get it almost 3 months in advance was worth the extra 10$ or so

I'm surprised people want the Disgaea 5 that badly....I mean NISA is doing the physical copy...guess there really is nothing to play for the Switch.

Started Nier last night. Didn't play very long past what was basically the demo portion.

I don't like how much shmup there seems to be, nor the dodge mechanics when it's shmup mode, nor how often the damn camera changes. Is this how the whole game really is, or is it just the beginning that's like this?

P.S. Culdcept CE is up for pre-order at NISA.

Started Nier last night. Didn't play very long past what was basically the demo portion.

I don't like how much shmup there seems to be, nor the dodge mechanics when it's shmup mode, nor how often the damn camera changes. Is this how the whole game really is, or is it just the beginning that's like this?
There are quite a few SHMUP sections, but they generally don't last too long and usually gravitate a few towards certain sections of the story. Using melee (Square) while shooting makes things easier. Can't really do much about the camera changing. That'll be something that happens quite often throughout the game. A few places make it rather annoying with that though.

There was also this one ladder. fuck you ladder. Worst ladder I've used in a long time within a game. I'd always get to the top and it'd instantly push me off the ledge without even being able to initiate jump, regardless if I was pushing anything as it was transitioning off the ladder or not.

Culdcept 3DS Collector's Edition for sale at NISA. I know this is going to make Cainiac happy.

http://store.nisamerica.com/culdcept-revolt-limited-edition

I'm surprised people want the Disgaea 5 that badly....I mean NISA is doing the physical copy...guess there really is nothing to play for the Switch.
I'm a huge Disgaea fan and Disgaea 5 was truly a letdown to be honest. I thought 4 was much better. Some of the magical glue that holds everything together was missing in 5. It felt hollow.

I'm pumped for the regular release of culdcept on 3ds. The collector's edition looks weak. 

Disgaea 5 was a major letdown as a fan of the series since buying the original release on a complete whim and loving it. 

With 5 being my first game, I definitely found the Disgaea 4 DLC to be interesting enough to track down a Vita copy before it was reprinted. 

Disgaea 5 was a major letdown as a fan of the series since buying the original release on a complete whim and loving it.
I still want to try it out myself. I mean, I hear people say basically the same thing about 3, and I loved Disgaea 3.
Of course, what NIS really should be doing is going back to Rhapsody a Musical Adventure.

I still want to try it out myself. I mean, I hear people say basically the same thing about 3, and I loved Disgaea 3.
Of course, what NIS really should be doing is going back to Rhapsody a Musical Adventure.
2 was my favorite and I really disliked 3 so you may enjoy 5 a lot more than I did.

All I really remember about Rhapsody is pancakes for some reason?

boooo at no TaoKaka or Ragna costume for Doa5
Yeah, I hate that they usually assign the costumes based on personality rather than looks. Like Phase-4 is similar to Mu in terms of character, but they should've given her Taokaka due to the hood. I think they did the same thing with the Senran Kagura costumes too. The rest of the designs are pretty on point though.

I'm not surprised they didn't have a Ragna costume, I don't think they would do men costumes based on it possibly not selling. The last men costumes I remember were the Attack on Titan ones. I think the game's female characters outnumber the men now, which wasn't the case in the vanilla version.

You know what I really want to see though? Mai Shiranui and Pai Chan getting costumes for this one. A King of Fighters character in a Dead or Alive game dressed as a Blazblue character fighting a Virtual Fighter character dressed as a Guilty Gear character... wrap your head around that...

Any further costume collaborations you guys want to see? I want a Neptunia one.

Wow she's really cute! Can't help but feel like she should be voicing the glasses girl instead.

Well,...

boooo at no TaoKaka or Ragna costume for Doa5
And to also BlackRockWaifu's response, yeah, but that's what the PC version of DoA5-LR is for, mod costumes, lol. I know I've posted this back, but speaking of Tao... (Note: I repeat, mod costumes, lol.) -> http://bit.ly/2l5TF8N

I suppose some guys would already do ones for the Neptunia series, but I've haven't really much looked around on that yet, so...yeah, lol.

That isn't dangerous for the screen is it?
From what I've seen, the screen is made out of plastic and thus scratches easily. I wouldn't trust only using some cloth on the dock and would recommend a tempered glass screen protector honestly. They're about the same price as plastic ones, but perform so much better.

I don't have a switch though, so I can't speak from personal experience. However I do know tempered glass protectors are the preferred go-to for handheld devices and that they work very well.

Tthe challenge missions are pretty easy to get gold on with the exception of Lunar Style Slide Race II. Never doing that one again.

Unless you grind and/or mine precious gems endlessly, don't expect to have Kat all powered up for the final chapter. 21,000+ precious gems. Really? So far though having them all at about halfway seems to be just fine on normal difficulty.

Several pieces from GR1 were reused but the new compositions are fantastic. https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01MSYWQRK/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Oh, DO NOT buy the soundtrack from PSN; you'll only get 15 pieces of music - FIVE more than the "Director's Choice." Don't get ripped off. And...if you didn't like the first game altogether well 2 isn't going to change your mind.

Full thoughts are coming whenever I finish it (read: 2018 :lol: )

Does NISA even launch demos?
Disgaea 5 had a demo. Wouldn't be shocked if the Ys one makes it over.

bread's done
Back