Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just here to remind you guys that Persona came out in April, so Nier is undeniably the best game that came out in March.
Zelda: Breath of the Wild says hi. (launched March 3rd, alongside the Switch)

In all seriousness, this spring has been a killers row of solid release after solid release. We've been blessed by a number of titles that got pushed into this time of year but turned out great.

Yeah so many good games for a multitude of different people. Only thing particularly weak IMHO has been the VNS I've played that have been localized recently like Chronoclock and Da Capo 3. Even 11eyes which was translated late last year had a good overall story, but pretty bad IMHO exclusive character parts. I need Imouto Paradise 2 and Danganronpa 3 to save me from this slump.

Igor's voice got me a bit haha. I kind of liked his high pitched voice from before. I'm more used to it now though after seeing him a few times. I like Morgana's English voice honestly, though i'm sure the voice is better in Japanese. The rest seem pretty decent for the most part. I think people just haven't played horrendous dubs like Chaos Wars or what I remember of Steambot Chronicles. It's not perfect of course, but it's not terrible either.
I grew up playing dubbed games in the 90s and early 2000s. By comparison, almost all dubbed games nowadays sound pretty good to me. But I like Persona 5's dub a lot, they used a lot of the Trails of Cold Steel cast, and that series had one of my favorite dubs ever. I didn't like the pronunciation of some of the Japanese names, but they're not as cringe inducing as when native English speakers try to pronounce Japanese names with a Japanese accent.

I haven't listened to a lot of the dub--only through the end of the animated cutscene on the train--, so take that into mind, but while the dub is far from terrible, I'd also say it's far from great. I'd put it slightly below P3 (which was also just okay), and significantly below P4 (which was just about decent).

Certainly a far cry from excellent dubs like FLCL.

Just here to remind you guys that Persona came out in April, so Nier is undeniably the best game that came out in March.

Also here to remind you that if you didn't actually beat Nier then you're a chump and I'm mad at you and I'm putting our secret chat on hold.
Man, I haven't even beaten Final Fantasy IV yet. I have ADHD, a backlog stetching out for like three decades, and the inability to go back to a game after a couple years of neglect and continue from where I left off (I always end up restarting). Makes it really hard to finish anything.

(Also I only just got my copy of Nier on the same day as Persona 5, thanks to Dell's quality service.)

They obviously decided that saKAmoto is the correct pronunciation since all of the voice actors are using it. It's not some oversight.
I imagine the director realized that English speakers tend to emphasize the first syllable of any given word--that's how the majority of English words work--and knowing that Japanese doesn't really feature the same kind of systematic syllable stress that most western languages do, told the actors not to emphasize the first syllable in some of these longer names where the stresses are more obvious--which of course lead to emphasizing the second syllable, instead.

What are your guy's MC names?

Mine is Kanye East
Went with 新成 道矢 (pronounced as Shinjou Touya). I initially wanted to make the family name 成之端 (Jounobashi) instead of Shinjou, but there was an 8-character limit. Bleh.

Also here to remind you that if you didn't actually beat Nier then you're a chump and I'm mad at you and I'm putting our secret chat on hold.
I agree with the first statement. Given that Horizon was released in February, and Nier is March GOTM (maybe even GOTY) just on Too Booty alone. Maybe best game of all time if you judge it based on booty.

But the second statement... :whistle2:k I did beat the first ending... :pray:

Hard mode.
If you get ambushed you can kiss your ass goodbye, which has happened to me a few times due to my less than perfect mastery of the controls. Or if you run out out SP to target the enemy weakness.
Those damn horses never stop summoning each other... they breed like rabbits.

I haven't heard any persona 5 characters' Japanese voices. That's probably why I'm fine with the voice acting so far.
Yeah, I guess that might be why I prefer the dub as well. I also try never to change from dub to sub even when given the option. I even think that in some games like the Neptunia series, the English voice actresses are even better at their jobs than the Japanese ones, sense a lot more emotion in their voices. Same for Blazblue. But then again, I'm the kinda guy who liked the original Chie's voice in P4.

Nier had a fantastic dub. 9S in particularly really delivers.

Nier Best Dub 2017 is what I'm reading from this thread and I agree with you all.

I don't agree with the people who decided not to finish it though. Those people can leave our secret PSN chat.
Too Booty also had a nice dub. Reminds me a lot of Blanc... maybe its the same girl...

If its not Best Dub 2017, it's at least Best Butt 2017.

I'm starting not to comprehend the secrecy of this "secret" chat... especially when it gets mentioned quite a bit...

Oh yeah, and if you want to experience a bad dub, watch Hard Boiled. Or really any of the old Kung Fu movies bought to DVD in the US.

I agree with the first statement. Given that Horizon was released in February, and Nier is March GOTM (maybe even GOTY) just on Too Booty alone. Maybe best game of all time if you judge it based on booty.

But the second statement... :whistle2:k I did beat the first ending... :pray:
You.. didn't finish Nier? So you haven't seen the beginning of part C? You're missing out. Puts Too Booty to shame.

I believe I read somewhere that Atlus Japan requested that they be pronounced that way for English localization. I have no idea why or how true it is as I can't remember where I read this.
Yeah because saKAmoto is much closer phonetically to the JP pronuncication. They don't want the names coming out all wrong like the way American people say "Konnichiwa!". They were going for the JP staccatto-like, even-syllable stress pronunciation, rather than that arcing American, high-inflection butchering.

I haven't listened to a lot of the dub--only through the end of the animated cutscene on the train--, so take that into mind, but while the dub is far from terrible, I'd also say it's far from great. I'd put it slightly below P3 (which was also just okay), and significantly below P4 (which was just about decent).

Certainly a far cry from excellent dubs like FLCL.

Man, I haven't even beaten Final Fantasy IV yet. I have ADHD, a backlog stetching out for like three decades, and the inability to go back to a game after a couple years of neglect and continue from where I left off. Makes it really hard to finish anything.

(Also I only just got my copy of Nier on the same day as Persona 5, thanks to Dell's quality service.)

I imagine the director realized that English speakers tend to emphasize the first syllable of any given word--that's how the majority of English words work--and knowing that Japanese doesn't really feature the same kind of systematic syllable stress that most western languages do, told the actors not to emphasize the first syllable in some of these longer names where the stresses are more obvious--which of course lead to emphasizing the second syllable, instead.

Went with 新成 道矢 (pronounced as Shinjou Touya). I initially wanted to make the family name 成之端 (Jounobashi) instead of Shinjou, but there was an 8-character limit. Bleh.
What is FLCL?

~You'll never see it coming!~

This game doesn't have enough happy songs in the real world so far - the city theme (Beneath the Mask) is sad and sounds like Catherine music. I get it fits the tone though and I really like the music nonetheless.

Also I stepped up to the plate and started on hard mode and it's pretty difficult, when I get ambushed I get real worried, as there's a 50 50 chance I make it out alive

Atlus already said they have Persona projects to announce this year, and while I'm sure that entails P5 spinoffs, now that I'm actually playing P5, seeing a Persona 3 Remake actually running in this engine, with P3P options like FeMC too, would be amazing. Exploring the overworld is sweet, if a bit complicated.

~You'll never see it coming!~

This game doesn't have enough happy songs in the real world so far - the city theme (Beneath the Mask) is sad and sounds like Catherine music. I get it fits the tone though and I really like the music nonetheless.

Also I stepped up to the plate and started on hard mode and it's pretty difficult, when I get ambushed I get real worried, as there's a 50 50 chance I make it out alive

Atlus already said they have Persona projects to announce this year, and while I'm sure that entails P5 spinoffs, now that I'm actually playing P5, seeing a Persona 3 Remake actually running in this engine, with P3P options like FeMC too, would be amazing. Exploring the overworld is sweet, if a bit complicated.
That would be awesome. I'd love to see a P3 remake.

I also got quite a few Catherine vibes from the first few hours of gameplay. Everything from the color palette, the dank bar setting, to the sullen music has been very reminiscent of Catherine so far.

The greatest coming of age story ever told.

I HATE that they've been talking about making a sequel.
I'll have to check it out. I did look up the voice cast and noticed that Melissa Fahn is in the cast. I've been really impressed with her voice work in the Neptunia games, so it's no surprise to me if that dub is excellent.

The greatest coming of age story ever told.

I HATE that they've been talking about making a sequel.
I was sure Toonami confirmed it already along with the same band that did the amazing ED song. I doubt they'd bring back such a cult series without a good story, Samurai Jack is better than ever.

I was sure Toonami confirmed it already along with the same band that did the amazing ED song. I doubt they'd bring back such a cult series without a good story, Samurai Jack is better than ever.
First of all, Gainax 2017 and Gainax 2003 are VERY different beasts—I don't really trust Gainax to make something of that quality anymore.

Second, FLCL was a coming of age story—its entire being was Naoto becoming... himself. Learning about the world and his place in it. They distilled that entire process into six episodes of chaos, and then it was done.

Doing more with that setting, those characters, that story, after that process... that becoming was over... in a way, it does a disservice to the original. Everything FLCL was, everything it needed to be, was contained in those six episodes, and making more is more than pointless. It's like making a Moby Dick 2 with Ishmael getting his own ship and going after the whale himself, or Hamlet 2: Oh, Wait, It Looks Like Hamlet Actually Survived

Picked up my take your heart edition today finally alongside Lego city on 3ds for my son (he deserved it).

When I showed up at best buy they tried handing me a steelbook version, my face must've looked shocked because the cashier realized right away I wasn't pleased.  It even had my name on it and everything so I was pretty scared they misplaced or sold my copy.  After what felt like a eternity they finally found my copy then they ripped someone else's pickup sticker off and slapped mine on it. Hopefully I didn't take some poor souls copy!

Now I'm home and I am pushing myself to open it, it just looks so cool in it's pristine condition right now!

The cutscene on the train? You mean the one in the very beginning? Were there even voices for most of the characters yet?

I mean there was the beginning burglary part, a few background civilians, and maybe the train conductor/news reporter. But I think it might've been a bit too early to judge from there.

What is FLCL?
I've watched it 3 times and I still am not quite sure what it is. All I know is that there is a really cool space pirate king. The soundtrack also has songs by The Pillows and Ellegarden so I love it.

I used my real name for the protagonist, usually do that for the Persona games since I started out playing like that. But if it's another less serious game, I have an array of names to use: Jack Haas, Mike Hawk, Mike Litirous, Dick Ryder, Jack Hoff, etc. If it's a FeMC, then Dixie Normous, Tits McGee, Anita Cox, etc. You get the gist of it.

The cutscene on the train? You mean the one in the very beginning? Were there even voices for most of the characters yet?

I mean there was the beginning burglary part, a few background civilians, and maybe the train conductor/news reporter. But I think it might've been a bit too early to judge from there.
There was a lot of voiced dialogue in that intro, though granted very little of it was from recruitable characters--mostly Niijima Sae, that detective [customspoiler=spoilers?]who beat the shit out of you[/customspoiler], and a bunch of nameless NPCs. I already said it wasn't the greatest sample, but it was still a substantial one.

I've watched it 3 times and I still am not quite sure what it is. All I know is that there is a really cool space pirate king. The soundtrack also has songs by The Pillows and Ellegarden so I love it.
...wait, there was music in FLCL that wasn't by the Pillows?

Also yeah, it's extremely dense and requires multiple watches to start unraveling it.

Spoiler Alerts!!!!! :bomb:

...wait, there was music in FLCL that wasn't by the Pillows?
I looked it up, so apparently Funny Bunny was a The Pillows song, just ended up getting a cover, then a remix by Ellegarden. Funny (haha), I always thought it was the other way around... The Ellegarden version, which isn't in FLCL, is really good too. It actually took my second viewing to recognize the song. Ellegarden is my favorite band of all time too.

Here is the Pillows version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f92VWkYl8CI

And here is the Ellegarden one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJjKL03njEI

Still have no idea why they directed the VAs to pronounce names like that. At least changing voices back and forth from Eng to Jp is pretty quick
It is? I went to the main menu, changed the option, reloaded a save and it went back. Is there another option somewhere?

I'm finally on my first "proper" school day and noticed Takamaki has the 4chan logo on her hood.

So now I'm torn. I mean, [customspoiler=spoilers]used goods[/customspoiler], but a hot channer is instant waifu material.

Spoiler Alerts!!!!! :bomb:
Oh, come on, it's one of the first things that happens in the game. That's not a spoiler.

EDIT:
Oh, speaking of waifus, does anyone know if you can be penalized on social links/whatever they're called in this game by getting into a harem situation like in P3? Or do your waifus not care like in P4?

EDIT:
Oh, speaking of waifus, does anyone know if you can be penalized on social links/whatever they're called in this game by getting into a harem situation like in P3? Or do your waifus not care like in P4?
I thought IGN explained it pretty well:

You can, technically, date every female Confidant at the same time. However, Valentine's Day is a thing. That's all we'll say on that.
Vuhweo7.jpg
http://www.ign.com/wikis/persona-5/Things_Persona_5_Doesn%27t_Tell_You

I thought IGN explained it pretty well:
Wait, even [customspoiler=spoilers]your homeroom teacher[/customspoiler]?

God damn it, this just feels like teasing after we didn't get to have anything happen [customspoiler=spoilers]with Maya in P3[/customspoiler].

EDIT:
STOP BREAKING, CODE.

I'm going with that is spoilers. It may happen early, but it's still a big part of the story.
Still disagree, but I'll put it under tags since I'm outnumbered.

Not wanting to be that guy but, could y'all take your P5 discussion in a separate thread? Kinda just looking for JP news and sales here :whistle2:$

Thread title says discussion.
He's trying to take your thunder.

Made it through the first dungeon. Man it was brutal I had to leave and come back quite a few times compared to p3 and p4 where I did dungeons in 2 days or less. I'm sure the difficulty will ease up a bit after I grow in power though. (And SP. My oh so precious sp)

Not wanting to be that guy but, could y'all take your P5 discussion in a separate thread? Kinda just looking for JP news and sales here :whistle2:$
There is a Backloggers Anonymous thread, and our game of the month for April is Persona 5. Everyone is pretty much playing the same game there. So that works!

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/355975-cag-niche-backloggers-anonymous-persona-5-april/

But one can argue that there have been other "discussions" of similar nature, not to mention the Fire Emblem Heroes one... And Persona 5 is only the most highly anticipated game that this thread has been talking about for years... And a huge thanks to Supplice and Draekon for giving us the news regularly, so no disruptions on that front. There haven't been too many deals, and if anything pops up on Lightning deals I'll post it. And it's also Persona, as in half of us have it in our Avatars or Signatures, and this thread's foundation was probably built on it, and most of us live, eat, and sleep Persona (maybe not that last one...) But use the Backloggers Anonymous thread too!

On another note... does P5 seem kind of dark compared to the other games?

There is rape, murder, suicide, drug use, and a shit ton of profanity...

On another note... does P5 seem kind of dark compared to the other games?
There is rape, murder, suicide, drug use, and a shit ton of profanity...
Yes the tone is quite heavy. It's wonderful. It brings the first teaser back to mind where it was it was a bunch of chairs with chains that said "you are a slave. Want emancipation?"
I am feeling the oppression

Not like the previous games weren't dark what with
murder in 4 and coming to grips with mortality in 3
And you should check out the apocalyptic wastelands of the SMT games. Dark and atlus go hand in hand.

Igor's voice got me a bit haha. I kind of liked his high pitched voice from before. I'm more used to it now though after seeing him a few times. I like Morgana's English voice honestly, though i'm sure the voice is better in Japanese. The rest seem pretty decent for the most part. I think people just haven't played horrendous dubs like Chaos Wars or what I remember of Steambot Chronicles. It's not perfect of course, but it's not terrible either.
Its so sad that his va passed away. I will miss him.

If you think people are going to cut the Persona chat out of this thread boy are you barking up the wrong tree.   :rofl:

If you think people are going to cut the Persona chat out of this thread boy are you barking up the wrong tree. :rofl:
Unfortunately. Though the bulk of it really should be moved to a thread in the PS4 section, but it would never eliminate it entirely. Just like how there's a Fire Emblem Heroes thread in the mobile section but people post here anyways.

Regardless, those that only want to look for deals/news in this thread should use the "Link Posts Only" link at the top of the thread to try and help find deals and news. All deals should really have links to products and news should really have source links.

You guys are all more than welcome to post in the GGT about anything and everything you want.

It's basically a free thread since its so dead.

Unfortunately. Though the bulk of it really should be moved to a thread in the PS4 section, but it would never eliminate it entirely. Just like how there's a Fire Emblem Heroes thread in the mobile section but people post here anyways.

Regardless, those that only want to look for deals/news in this thread should use the "Link Posts Only" link at the top of the thread to try and help find deals and news. All deals should really have links to products and news should really have source links.
I would definitely use those threads if other people used them. But they don't.

The three biggest threads for non-deals/gaming/random stuff conversations are all on the General Gaming & News forum.

Just highlight the forums button, and the drop down menu on the right next to "Video Game Deals" show "General Gaming & News."

The usual top three threads are:

Indignate's GGT Thread (300 replies,There were 360 other threads, so I guess it adds up to 180,000 lifetime posts or so) [You can talk about anything here... literally anything. There are a surprising amount of Kpop videos and Love Live gifs though...]

Corgstradamus' CAG Backlog Support Group (1200 replies) [Any games that are on your backlog, not just niche ones. Mostly used as a journal of sorts for people to chronicle their progress, and discussions happen often as well.]

BlackRockWaifu's CAG Niche Backloggers Anonymous (Persona 5 April) (500 replies) [Everyone votes on a game for the month in which we all play if we have an interest in it, and engage in discussions. For niche games mostly, although we want to expand further, and there is also talk about other games if you don't get to playing what we choose. I also throw in activities from time to time like homework or suggestions.]

Also a little shout out to the other threads there with a little less movement, like the RPG Thread, and the Completed Games Thread. 

So there is definitely a lot of activity there, especially with everyone on the same page and playing the same game. Shameless plug in here, but we have a wall of fame, player reviews, and I'm thinking of adding a chart to see how far people get in P5 for the Backloggers thread. So check them out once in a while. And I've been noticing that Draco, Sirpikaz, and Gershomcz keep their discussions in that thread too, so another little shout out to them for being good samaritans.

Kpop is never surprising.

It's exactly what you want it to be every time.

Also the GGT got rebooted at some point after the  ∞ thread.

We have very deep lore but are newcomer friendly with every installment.

XSeed's "The Legend of Heroes: Trails Series - Localization Blog #2"

The blog post talks about continuity details their OCD between the games in the series and how they're retroactively noticing things and changing them to keep them consistent across all titles. The only other thing that really sticks out is this phrase:

"Trails in the Sky the 3rd is coming to PC in English on…a date you’ll find out very, very soon."

They will be hitting their Spring 2017 target, which is within the next two months roughly. To those who are actually going to play it, look forward to the mini-game art. They are masterpieces that words cannot begin to describe. You see one at the bottom of the blog post.

bread's done
Back