Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of disappointed it's only featuring characters from Fire Emblem's Shadow Dragon, Awakening, and Fates. But knowing Koei Tecmo they'll toss a bunch of DLC. Also kind of funny Maaya Uchida and Yuma Uchida are voicing the twin protagonists.

Fire Emblem Warriors adds twin original protagonists, Marth, and Chrom [Update 2]
Well, it does seem like it has a lot of content already and those are the most recent (awakening/fates) and well known (shadow dragon) games I'd imagine.

Also Draekon, the Rev 2 demo does not work anymore, even if its no longer free without the PS+ sub. The demo was deactivated when the game was out on release. Attempting to download it and run the demo will give you that message that the demo's deactivated.
Well that's stupid. Went ahead and removed it.

So this happened to me while playing Nier: Automata. Spoilers for Route C:

I started Route C earlier today and was consistently blown away by everything the game was throwing at me. I should also mention that for the last couple of days my speakers have been acting a bit wonky. The sound will cut in and out so I have to play with the cable to keep them on. I get to the part in the game where the other Yorha units get infected and start attacking you. After fighting off a bunch of them the sound cuts out completely. I know that those of you who've played this know where this is going, but I spent a good 15 minutes with the game paused and me frantically trying to get back to this insane game. After giving up on the speakers I plugged in my headset to play that way and it was only then did I find out what had happened.

I love this game so fucking much. 

soooooo we roll the diiiiiiiiice

but for real Whims of Fate is a fun song
In a game with fairly good music all around, this song in particular was just so fitting to the feel of that palace. It might just be my favorite song of P3, P4, P5 ("When the Moons Reaching Out Stars" ; "I'll Face Myself (Battle) - AKA Marie battle music; and "Beneath the Mask" being other strong contenders). Though "The Poem for Everyone's Souls" is, of course *the* Persona theme.

PS+ Games for June.

:ps4: Killing Floor 2

:ps4: Life is Strange (Full Season)

:ps3: Abyss Odyssey

:ps3: WRC 5: World Rally Championship

:vita: Neon Chrome (Cross-Buy with :ps4:)

:vita: Spy Chameleon (Cross-Buy with :ps4:)

Abyss Odyssey is published by Atlus, so it's not irrelevant like the last two months were. Granted the devs are from Chile. The PS4 titles are decent enough and Neon Chrome (as well as Spy Chameleon I think) are supposed to be decent as well. At least on the PC those last two are rated well.

Not thrilled with that Marvel vs. Capcom roster list, if true. Though the characters mentioned do seem like likely candidates. I'd much rather Black Panther, Daredevil, or Punisher over any Guardians of the Galaxy characters.

But that Senran Kagura news is awesome, love that there's another Ikki Tousen crossover. All of the Japanese DLC made it over for Estival Versus, so I'm hopeful that the same will happen with Peach Beach.

Not thrilled with that Marvel vs. Capcom roster list, if true. Though the characters mentioned do seem like likely candidates. I'd much rather Black Panther, Daredevil, or Punisher over any Guardians of the Galaxy characters.
I can picture Black Panther being added at some point. DD and Punisher have 0 chance, based on that list.

And just pretend Chris Redfield is a Punisher pallet swap.

I'm really happy that this terrible looking game gets an equally awful roster. It's just a $60 ad for the MCU.

I really can't stand NRS fighters, but they at least know how to treat the fans of their games.

So Xseed is working on more than ports and Senran PBS (The BEST kind of PBS hehehe).

The Valkyria score seems pretty nice from what I heard of it. Haven't finished the whole album yet.

And while Ys' top rank won't last long it's still pretty

star-trek-mind-blown.gif

Aaaaaahhhh feels good to be posting gifs again.

Some Overwatch news. There's a new assault map that's coming out in the near future. It's available on the PTR now.

[customspoiler='Horizon Luner Colony Map Preview']
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91nfDfnGCB0[/customspoiler]

There's confirmed 'low gravity' areas on the map and you'll be able to edit gravity for custom games.

Damascus Gear : Operation Tokyo HD for PS4 is out on PSN for $15. It looks like fun, especially for the price.  Has anyone here played it?

Yep, that's the price increase due to the higher cost of manufacturing carts

and by that I mean it's the Nintendo tax and not actually true.

Damascus Gear : Operation Tokyo HD for PS4 is out on PSN for $15. It looks like fun, especially for the price. Has anyone here played it?
I played the Vita version. It's fun, but very repetitive. Not as hack & slash as Dynasty Warriors, so it held my interest for far longer. But I still only got about half way.

D.S. Dal Segno is the next Mangagamer game to be released and will on June 30th, 2017.

VNDB link

10% off pre-order Mangagamer Site (NSFW) $35.95

The big news is that Mangagamer is now providing 18+ patches for Steam versions including Dal Segno. The full post is here in this blog. They are going to retroactively add them to some of their older Steam games, and rauncier titles, such as Imouto Paradise 2 (when?!?!?!) will only be on the Mangagamer website. Love supporting these guys all of the time. Sekai Project....yeah....treat 18+ releases better please! I wasn't crazy about Da Capo 3....but the graphics are nice as always and I like the island theme, so an easy buy, which I will review when I play it on release. 

I just wanted to share my favorite P5 tracks.

1) Price [Alternate] - from the second half of the Kaneshiro dungeon. 

2) Swear to My Bones - I'm a sucker for piano music culmination themes. 

3) Layer Cake - best NPC theme track in the game

4) Our Beginning - excellent anthem

5) Restlessness - love spooky ambiance

I guess I really like the darker themes and reflective melodies the most.  Also a sucker for piano samples in any of my other techno music.

Yet I still think this is the very best Persona track of all time, not close:  P3 Memories of the City

Zwei II Plus is getting localized? Holy shit. I'm glad to see it. This summer too. Day one purchase for me.

Also Nick at XSeed seems to not be discounting the original for a potential release as well:

Direct Twitter Link

https://twitter.com/ittoujuu/status/870736346783952896

Looks like they bought the fan translation and overhauled it.

[customspoiler='Get hyped']
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05EWMvLI80s[/customspoiler]

EDIT: For those unfamiliar with the Zwei series, it's like a cross between Gurumin and Ys.

I just wanted to share my favorite P5 tracks.

1) Price [Alternate] - from the second half of the Kaneshiro dungeon.

2) Swear to My Bones - I'm a sucker for piano music culmination themes.

3) Layer Cake - best NPC theme track in the game

4) Our Beginning - excellent anthem

5) Restlessness - love spooky ambiance

I guess I really like the darker themes and reflective melodies the most. Also a sucker for piano samples in any of my other techno music.

Yet I still think this is the very best Persona track of all time, not close: P3 Memories of the City
It is Shoji Meguro we're talking about here, so there's so many good songs to choose from. Here's my list that I haven't thought about until right now:

1. Keeper of Lust - holy guitar revival Meguro! I played through the Digital Devil Saga games in the past year and was wondering if Meguro would ever return to the electric guitar as a primary instrument like it was in these games, and he sure blew me away when I heard this one for the first time in P5. It sounded like less like a song I would expect in a Persona game, for all the right reasons

2. Life Will Change - I linked the instrumental because I prefer the sound of the music, I do like Lyn's singing though in the normal version. In fact I'm making a Megaten Mashup of a ton of songs from all of Megami Tensei and it started because I wanted to use the vocals over the instrumental version's guitar. I've currently got the mix over an hour long, I'll upload it sometime soon and maybe you guys could give it a listen

3. Life Goes On - I remember hearing this song back over a year ago from I believe the Take Tokyo Tower event, and wondering what it would be used for. Too bad it got stuck with being the exam theme that plays very rarely - it's awesome and very catchy

4. Whims of Fate - We've been over this :p

5. Blooming Villain - Pretty exciting and builds up as it goes on

Honorable mention: Butterfly Kiss - for being a great doctor

I have nothing that you have on your list. Just goes to show how great the OST is! Of course, P3 has the best song of all with When the Moon's Reaching Out Stars. Best overworld theme easily imo

Zwei II Plus is getting localized? Holy shit. I'm glad to see it. This summer too. Day one purchase for me.

Also Nick at XSeed seems to not be discounting the original for a potential release as well:

Direct Twitter Link

https://twitter.com/ittoujuu/status/870736346783952896

Looks like they bought the fan translation and overhauled it.

[customspoiler='Get hyped']
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05EWMvLI80s[/customspoiler]

EDIT: For those unfamiliar with the Zwei series is that it's like a cross between Gurumin and Ys.
Oh hell yeah! I'm all for purchasing anything we can get from Falcom. That's a company that I want to support their releases (new or old), especially if its brought to us from XSEED. I bought both TiTS SC, 3rd, and Xanadu Next on release day. I have Ys Origin and Ys VIII both pre-ordered as well. Probably going to try and get the Limited Run Games release of Origins as well since I have a problem...but we all sort of do here.

Oh hell yeah! I'm all for purchasing anything we can get from Falcom. That's a company that I want to support their releases (new or old), especially if its brought to us from XSEED. I bought both TiTS SC, 3rd, and Xanadu Next on release day. I have Ys Origin and Ys VIII both pre-ordered as well. Probably going to try and get the Limited Run Games release of Origins as well since I have a problem...but we all sort of do here.
I have an even bigger problem than you, I preordered Cold Steel 3 in Japanese even though I know very little of the language. I'm curious to see how much of it I can actually get through.

I hear Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale 2 is getting announced at E3.
Maybe 2 won't be shit then, the first had so many broken characters and the game mechanics overall just seemed liked they needed overhauls.

You had characters like Raiden who could literally chain you from a combo into a KO, and characters like Spike who had no hit confirms to a KO. Also the level 3 specials were stupid, some characters just had a cutscene that could kill 3 at most if they didnt block, while others had controllable ones that could easily get 5+ people if you were fast enough.

bread's done
Back