Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
If enough people here buy it, we can schedule games.
I still don't know if I want it, I was thinking of waiting for a discount like the other games. I might just get it from Gamestop though.

But if anyone is looking to get some games/lobbies in together, use the PS4 CAG Niche Community, especially now that you can set up events and stuff.

Edit: Reading that guy's post, I think I might just wait to see if a lot of other people here are picking it up at launch. So who is? If enough people are, I'll probably get it.

I've been tempted to throw up an event in the community for Killing Floor 2 since it was with PS+ last month and to gauge interest in that kind of thing. I know I won't be getting Beach Splash unless its decently discounted and there's enough interest in group sessions.

NISA had a fun booth at Anime Expo. Got a free copy of Criminal Girls 2 and a bunch of OSTs, artbooks, and other promo swag. They also gave out a sweet medal, made of metal!

Japanese Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux boxart, limited edition

i704ft.jpg

Nippon Ichi president – Disgaea amiibo interest, next game “likely” for Switch, Phantom Brave 2 possible, more

More Monster Hunter XX Switch footage from Capcom TV

Off-screen Azure Striker Gunvolt Switch footage

SEGA will be looking at the reception of Sonic Mania to determine the direction of the series

Platinum Games posts artwork of characters playing The Wonderful 101 on Switch

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU Game Collection announced for PS4

What's the return time for games at GS? I bought this like a week ago for $10 more. I can likely do a return/rebuy or such?
If they haven't changed it, I think its 7 days for a new item (unopened) and 30 days for a used item. They will let you replace it with another item of the same value. In this case, they might let you replace it with a cheaper copy and give you the rest in trade credit, but knowing Gamestop, they probably have no idea how to do that or wouldn't jump through hoops for you. Another way might just be to replace it with another item you want for $30, then just buy the $20 copy. You'll have to spend more but it's the safest and easiest method since I don't think GS does price adjustments.

Is there a single player mode or is it multiplayer only?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
There's a campaign single player I think, as well as mission mode which I am sure of. The mission mode is similar to the Senran Kagura games where you just run through battles with each character and get tidbits of info about their individual stories.

What's the return time for games at GS? I bought this like a week ago for $10 more. I can likely do a return/rebuy or such?
It's 30 days return new unopened, new opened accessory, or exchange on defective.

7 days return used any reason. 30 days replace used defective.

I have no problem returning and repurchasing on unopened new within the 30 days when there is a price drop. But I'm not sure if they will price adjust if the game is open. It would be stupid if they didn't because you could just buy a new one at that reduced price and return it with the higher price receipt. The one I go to would likely do it but I'm a regular there.

So who would be the Disgaea amiibo? I'd probably do something weird like a tower with the main trio.  Flonne holding up Etna holding up Laharl. 

Good to see Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash is finally available for preorder at Best Buy. Was worried they might not be carrying it since it was getting close to release date. Fortunately that's not the case

So who would be the Disgaea amiibo? I'd probably do something weird like a tower with the main trio. Flonne holding up Etna holding up Laharl.
Oh god. Just the thought of that is terrifying because I'd have to buy them all. I'm imagining one of those montage giclees and all the characters associated with them.

No idea, but they won't have discounts if they go on Amazon anyways. And yes, they charge a week or so before it ships. And if you split it too much, you'll have to pay shipping multiple times.

Some Overwatch news for those players here. Doomfist has finally been properly announced and is on the PTR servers on the PC, so expect him to go live in a few weeks. The PTR also is still testing the new lootboxes that significantly lower the chance of duplicates which will likely go live with Doomfist. His ability loadout can be found here. Doomfist is not voiced by Terry Crews. Plus some extra Doomfist lore that was posted a few days ago.

[customspoiler='Doomfist Origin Story Video']
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaZfZFNuOpI[/customspoiler]

[customspoiler='Developer Update - Introducing Doomfist']
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uKkAyLPJe0[/customspoiler]

[customspoiler='Jeff Kaplan Ramble']
*cough*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXTrrTX7YuY[/customspoiler]

Reporting on console is still in development. If you haven't played in a while, the Moon Base level has been live for around a month now.

Thanks for the info. Do you know how easy it is to cancel orders?
They send out emails when they're going to bill you soon, a week or two before an item's release date I believe. Those emails always have instructions to contact them if you need to change anything and usually indicate a specific subject line to make sure your ticket is prioritized with all the other similar issues.

I've had the most success contacting them after that email, and using the exact subject they indicate. When I do that they're always very understanding and do cancellations, separations, applying rewards points, giving rewards points if I forgot to log in and combining orders.

I've mostly been successful contacting them outside of these windows, but rarely I've sent an email and it's sat until the billing period was coming up for the associated product anyway. It almost seems like they beef up support around product releases, maybe, but I'm not sure.

In short I've never had problems cancelling something even if there's a long delay from support for whatever reason.

Unrelated but if anyone lives in NYC, Bookoff is having their midsummer madness sale. Books/Dvds/Cds are 20% off. This excludes new items. They don't say it, but it probably excludes figures too.

Thanks! Picked up my copy during lunch. It will sit next to the other seven Atelier titles i have and have not finished. =)
LOL! I now have Atelier Rorona Plus (PS3), Atelier Sophie and Atelier Firis.

Atelier Rorona is the only one I've played, but I enjoyed it. Not a fan of having time limits you have to deal with, but it really wasn't that hard to hit all the goals before the days ran out.

BTW anyone waiting for a write up on Dal Segno after a route, been busy with family. Will likely start playing again today. So far story and characters are fairly weak. I'm not crazy about it, but it's alright so far. I always seem to choose the weirdest/worst characters first.

Nintendo is going to make me wait a year until they make a Pearl & Marina amiibo to go along side my Callie & Marie aren't they?

7-minute Japanese Splatoon 2 trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnR_CT2aSpA

Lots of Splatoon 2 screenshots and art

Nintendo Switch Online / SplatNet 2 screenshots

Splatoon 2 – Listen to “Ebb & Flow” by Off the Hook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6kmP9zNflE

Japan’s first Splatfest for Splatoon 2 is rock vs. pop

This last one makes us at GGT very sad to not be able to support our K-Pop group.

If enough people here buy it, we can schedule games.
NinteSwitch.gif

Edit: Reading that guy's post, I think I might just wait to see if a lot of other people here are picking it up at launch. So who is? If enough people are, I'll probably get it.
I think a few here imported the game already. I just hope they add more future content since aside from the crossover characters the game has only gotten 1 new map and 1 new mode "Capture the Flag Bra" along with 2 episode missions since release.

Was Coven and Labyrinth of Refrain actually confirmed for western release? I saved an article in my news reader from niche gamer, but it looks like they pulled it. I can't find much on the other normal sites about it.

http://nichegamer.com/2017/07/04/coven-and-labyrinth-of-refrain-heads-west-in-2018-for-ps4-ps-vita/

A google cache of the page has "NIS America has announced a western release for Coven and Labyrinth of Refrain.

The Nippon Ichi Software-developed dungeon RPG will launch sometime next year for both PlayStation 4 and PS Vita. The game’s western name will also drop the “and”, reducing it to simply Coven Labyrinth of Refrain.

Further details weren’t confirmed."

so not much info anyway.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:CKkK6-iJQ8IJ:nichegamer.com/2017/07/04/coven-and-labyrinth-of-refrain-heads-west-in-2018-for-ps4-ps-vita/+&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Basically a "How to" get people uninterested in your product.
I feel like G.U. does a sufficient job of that all by itself.

I wish FLCL2 didn't exist, but at least the music will be worth it.
Are... are you me?

I'm not sure that paying $44 for a shitty looking fighting game is a good deal. I think I'll buy it at $20.
"Capcom game"

"Not Monster Hunter"

"Buy"

These are three concepts that don't even fit together in my mind anymore.

I know I'm late to the party on this one, but just finished Nier Automata.  I was pleasantly surprised by it and ended up enjoying it much more than I thought I would.  My biggest take away from it was the music as I thought it was fantastic.  I am conflicted on the final ending(route e). 

While I liked how it was implemented.  Knowing I'll never be able to see it again in game should the network ever be taken down is leaving me disappointed as there's no way in hell I can do that solo, it's just brutal.  Darksouls & Bloodborne was easier for me to do solo than that. :lol:

I know I'm late to the party on this one, but just finished Nier Automata. I was pleasantly surprised by it and ended up enjoying it much more than I thought I would. My biggest take away from it was the music as I thought it was fantastic. I am conflicted on the final ending(route e).
My internet connection is flaky, so the game had automatically kicked me to "Offline" mode earlier. It took me nearly 10 hours - and I never want to hear that song again. Ever.

Worth it, though next time I'd just cheat.

Was Coven and Labyrinth of Refrain actually confirmed for western release? I saved an article in my news reader from niche gamer, but it looks like they pulled it. I can't find much on the other normal sites about it.

http://nichegamer.com/2017/07/04/coven-and-labyrinth-of-refrain-heads-west-in-2018-for-ps4-ps-vita/

A google cache of the page has "NIS America has announced a western release for Coven and Labyrinth of Refrain.

The Nippon Ichi Software-developed dungeon RPG will launch sometime next year for both PlayStation 4 and PS Vita. The game’s western name will also drop the “and”, reducing it to simply Coven Labyrinth of Refrain.

Further details weren’t confirmed."

so not much info anyway.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:CKkK6-iJQ8IJ:nichegamer.com/2017/07/04/coven-and-labyrinth-of-refrain-heads-west-in-2018-for-ps4-ps-vita/+&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
no. it was misinformation

Now that the Steam Summer Sale is over, we've swung back into longer release lists. This weeks star is a remake/port, Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age. Not my cup of tea since I disliked the battle system immensely, but I know many people are looking forward to it.

Other stuff that released without warning last week (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- Libra of the Vampire Princess: Lycoris & Aoi in "The Promise" PLUS Iris in "Homeworld" (Visual Novel)
- Spirits: Ciel Bleu (Visual Novel)
- Battle Girls (Visual Novel)
- Antiquia Lost (RPG)
- An Oath to the Stars (SHMUP / Bullet Hell)

- √Letter - Root Letter - (Visual Novel)

Weekly Releases (July 9th - July 15th)

Asdivine Cross
- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: RPG
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: KEMCO mobile port. First non-mobile platform for this title. Likely a digital only title.

Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: RPG
- Comments: A port of the remake for the original FFXII that was never localized. A lot of changes to the game, most notably the job system.

Wild Guns Reloaded
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Gallery Shooter
- Online: Local only.
- Comments: Previously released on the PS4.

Girls and Quiz
- Genre: Quiz? / Dating Sim?
- Comments: Russian dev. Ehhh.

Dream Daddy: A Dad Dating Simulator
- Genre: Datimg Sim
- Comments: By Game Grumps, so obviously not Japanese.

Airi's World
- Genre: Adventure / RPG?

War Tech Fighters
- Genre: Action / Mech
- Comments: Early access. Italian Dev.

Soulslayer~灭魂·误佳期~
- Genre: Visual Novel / Detective
- Comments: Chinese dev.

Chinese Souls-Hua Garden/中华之魂-华园
- Genre: Action
- Comments: Chinese dev.

My Personal Angel
- Genre: Visual Novel? / Adventure
- Comments: Russian dev.

Crypt of the NecroDancer: AMPLIFIED (DLC)

- Genre: Rhythm / Roguelike
- Comments: Not Japanese, but the game is awesome. So I'm adding the DLC in. Other platforms are likely at a later date. [customspoiler='Aww, yiss.']
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MLt05_WXYQ[/customspoiler]

Past Releases
July 2nd - July 8th
June 25th - July 1st
June 18th - June 24th
June 11th - June 17th
June 4th - June 10th

bread's done
Back