Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
No overpriced Omega Labyrinth Z with Eng subs in my future then.
Honestly, in this day and age, I don't know why every games isn't offered with most languages, across the board. Sure, it cost more in the short term, but having region free consoles and handhelds at this point, it just seems a natural fit. To do the translations as the game is being made, is the best and cheapest way in the long run. But I guess most developers don't see it that way, sadly. Oh well, money lost for them, and money saved for me(win/win, or lose/lose I guess), better luck next time.

I'm in Florida and the coming few days should be interesting...

Scary hurricane model:

215356_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Stay safe everyone in the southeast!

Scary hurricane model:

I'm here too. Definitely sucks it's coming straight up the middle now, apparently. You be safe as well!

Irma's like, I heard we're playing beat 'em ups.

good luck to you all.  if it gets too bad then evacuate.  I know its expensive to go to a hotel or something but better cheap ass gamer than deadassgamer.

Okami uh? The game that keeps going, and going.....LOL!

I know it's cheap to just keep offering a title like this in HD, but it would be nice if Capcom handed this off to someone, and allowed for a new game to be made. I would love to see something new with the current level of hardware, but I doubt it will ever happen. But I guess if sales of these re-releases stay solid, someone may take a chance at some point. As "stranger things" have happened.

It's a bit disheartening that 4 years in, after telling us that these consoles can do things that previous consoles could only dream of, they keep trying to sell us things that those older consoles did over a decade ago....BUT NOW PRETTIER! More Nier: Automatas and less HD/4K re-makes kthxbye.

It's a bit disheartening that 4 years in, after telling us that these consoles can do things that previous consoles could only dream of, they keep trying to sell us things that those older consoles did over a decade ago....BUT NOW PRETTIER! More Nier: Automatas and less HD/4K re-makes kthxbye.
Yeah, that's why I haven't even really thought about grabbing a next gen system yet. I may get a PS4 Slim this holiday, if I can find a white one, and get it for sub $200. I did have a chance to get a ONE S for that price, but I'm more interested in the PS4 at this point.

But with my PS3/360 backlog, I'm still in no rush to get either unless the deal is worth my time. But I knew going in to this gen, graphics would be the only real improvement, as I played the latest Tomb Raider on my 360, and was more than happy with how it looked and performed. I don't even have a 4K TV yet, so I'm really not looking for the so-called latest and greatest. LOL

Scary hurricane model:

I'm in Tallahassee, FL and I'm hoping that we don't get too much of the storm. They already cancelled class for Fri-Mon and hopefully my work also gets cancelled.

It's on my list of things to play.

But since Blue Reflection is coming out soon and I'll have to focus on protecting my friends first in battles, I don't know if there will be time for Cold Steel.
What a peculiar way to spell Cold Steel II, Ys VII/VIII, Zwei II, and Tokyo Xanadu eX+!

Wow, just realized that was a serious mouthful there.

And then there's Destiny 2 but that's not a "Japanese Niche" game so we won't talk about that.

That you could ONLY play 20 minutes. :nottalking:
To be fair, the beginning of Cold Steel is immensely trope filled in a not so good way with Falcom forcing things a bit too hard.

And where the hell is the Zwei II release date announcement. They're about to miss their usual 2 week prior to release announcement that they usually do. Summer ends the 22nd, two weeks from now. I guess they are likely changing it from a Summer release to a Fall release at this point.

OMG... Prof Square... just.. made my day xD hahaha... 

on another note.. is the PS4 version of Tokyo Xanadu just like a "GOTY" version of the ps vita ver? Don't know if i want to add it to my cart...

on another note.. is the PS4 version of Tokyo Xanadu just like a "GOTY" version of the ps vita ver? Don't know if i want to add it to my cart...
Enhanced is the key word. So that means likely better graphics, more story and ummm not sure what else.

Enhanced is the key word. So that means likely better graphics, more story and ummm not sure what else.

It's got a lot more story content apparently as well as 60FPS. In addition to extra side chapters there's an eX epilogue story that takes place after the main story to go through. It's more like a "what really should have been the full game but we cut it down just to fit on Vita" version.

Sorry Vita lovers...

It's got a lot more story content apparently as well as 60FPS. In addition to extra side chapters there's an eX epilogue story that takes place after the main story to go through. It's more like a "what really should have been the full game but we cut it down just to fit on Vita" version.

Sorry Vita lovers...
No, it's just the "you can't play it on the go unless you have a 120V power generator strapped to your back" version

Retaliation of a Vita lover

My copy of Ys VIII from Best Buy is on track to be delivered Monday. Pretty hyped about that and Original SIn 2 next week. Should have taken a vacation from work. :D

It's on my list of things to play.

But since Blue Reflection is coming out soon and I'll have to focus on protecting my friends first in battles, I don't know if there will be time for Cold Steel.
What a peculiar way to spell Cold Steel II, Ys VII/VIII, Zwei II, and Tokyo Xanadu eX+!

Wow, just realized that was a serious mouthful there.

And then there's Destiny 2 but that's not a "Japanese Niche" game so we won't talk about that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeXG9-wyzw0
To be fair, the beginning of Cold Steel is immensely trope filled in a not so good way with Falcom forcing things a bit too hard.

And where the hell is the Zwei II release date announcement. They're about to miss their usual 2 week prior to release announcement that they usually do. Summer ends the 22nd, two weeks from now. I guess they are likely changing it from a Summer release to a Fall release at this point.

I got 10 hours in lol and dropped it a year ago, just wasn't really feeling it. Sorry sovereign :p
Just as I said I would...You should be dancing (or marching with torches and pitchforks)...

https://youtu.be/jsYFQ2yUcak

Just as I said I would...You should be dancing (or marching with torches and pitchforks)...

https://youtu.be/jsYFQ2yUcak
HOO HAA HOOO HAAA.... feels like... we could probably match this to fist of the north star too..

anyways... worth getting Tokyo Xanadu Ex too if i have the vita version or nahhh.... I know i don't want the figure >_> so.... yeah

The hurricane shifted west and now SWFL (I'm from there) is getting the eye head on, up to 9+ feet storm surge 0.o

My family said there's police/fire trucks driving around blaring "You're under mandatory evacuation you need to leave" because the storm wasn't anticipated to be a direct hit there. They're going to higher ground nearby - scary stuff

Meanwhile in Yakuza Kiwami I had to give a guy 10 rolls of toilet paper/pocket tissues before he finally got out of the public restroom.

Floridians in the past few days:
DJToUYHUEAAjtii.jpg

and then there isn't any water bottles in stock

and

DJTobMaUEAE0eCt.jpg

Good luck Pheria and AugustAPC and anyone else affected

Oh and also sweet avatar MunkichioO

HOO HAA HOOO HAAA.... feels like... we could probably match this to fist of the north star too..

anyways... worth getting Tokyo Xanadu Ex too if i have the vita version or nahhh.... I know i don't want the figure >_> so.... yeah
I'd say if you wanted to play more of Tokyo Xanadu then yes. I played the Vita version and only intended to run through a few hours of it just to see if eX+ would be worthwhile going through. Turned out I played the whole Vita version so I for one found it more than enjoyable enough to want to play more Xanadu.

And yeah that figure is lame af
especially when you find out who's...beneath the mask. NO, it's not Akira from Persona 5. That was the Protagonist's name in the P5 manga right?

The hurricane shifted west and now SWFL (I'm from there) is getting the eye head on, up to 9+ feet storm surge 0.o

My family said there's police/fire trucks driving around blaring "You're under mandatory evacuation you need to leave" because the storm wasn't anticipated to be a direct hit there. They're going to higher ground nearby - scary stuff
Best of luck to everyone affected by the hurricanes. Just stay safe, evacuate if you can and you need to, or go to the closest shelter, otherwise stay home and barricade everything. Put your cars between 2 walls. And remember, your lives mean the most, don't worry about your video games or anime figures collections. I'm seeing news reports where the elderly refuse to leave their homes since all their antiques and treasures are left there. There's no point in having a collection if there's nobody left to play it.

The hurricane is like this to Floridians:

Ac9ZaK0.jpg

Yeah, that's why I haven't even really thought about grabbing a next gen system yet. I may get a PS4 Slim this holiday, if I can find a white one, and get it for sub $200. I did have a chance to get a ONE S for that price, but I'm more interested in the PS4 at this point.

But with my PS3/360 backlog, I'm still in no rush to get either unless the deal is worth my time. But I knew going in to this gen, graphics would be the only real improvement, as I played the latest Tomb Raider on my 360, and was more than happy with how it looked and performed. I don't even have a 4K TV yet, so I'm really not looking for the so-called latest and greatest. LOL
If 200 is your buy in price for the slim why didn't you get one when dealseeker was posting them for 180 last year? Though really you may as well just wait for the pros price to drop at this rate.

Week 3 of the release bonanza, but week 2 if you mostly just buy niche Japanese games. On the western horizon this week, Divinity: Original Sin 2 releases from early access. You also have the sports games such as NBA, NHL & Nascar releasing this week too.

Other stuff that released without warning last week (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- Ne no Kami - The Two Princess Knights of Kyoto Part 2 (Visual Novel)
- 沙漠飞车 (Racing / Chinese Only)
- 生死线 Dead Line (Third-Person Shooter)
- Amplitude: A Visual Novel (Visual Novel / Simulation)
- Tales of Glacier (VR) (VR | Action-Adventure)

Weekly Releases (September 10th - September 16th)

Metroid: Samus Returns
- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: Metroidvania
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Remake of Metroid 2.

New Nintendo 3DS XL (Samus Edition) (Bundle)
- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: Handheld
- Comments: Does NOT include Metroid: Samus Returns. Also does not include the AC Adapter.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2018
- Platform(s): PS3, PS4, 360, XB1
- Genre: Sports / Soccer
- Demo: Yes.
- Online: Yes.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita, PC
- Genre: Action RPG
- Demo: PS4 only.
- Comments: Vita version does not include all content. It's missing a new dungeon, story content and gameplay content for Dana as well as Inferno difficulty.

Tower Offence!
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Tower Defense

BlockGame
- Genre: Puzzle
- Online: Yes.
- Comments: Not Japanese.

Mana Spark
- Genre: RPG
- Comments: Brazillian Dev

Steam Tactics
- Genre: Strategy RPG
- Comments: Russian dev.

Samurai Riot
- Genre: Action / Brawler
- Online: Local only.
- Comments: French dev.

Unbalance
- Comments: Turkish dev.

Bunka no Kenkyu - Revival of Queen Leyak -
- Genre: Visual Novel
- Comments: Indonesian dev.

The Witch's Isle
- Genre: Adventure

Puzzle Dating
- Comments: Chinese dev.

Seven boys 2

Galaxy Girls
- Comments: Not Japanese.

夏花的轨迹——A summer promise to forever

NOISZ
- Genre: SHMUP / Rhythm
- Demo: Yes.
- Comments: Earth dev.

Eddy紫 ~Eddy Violet~
- Genre: Action RPG
- Comments: Chinese language only. English version coming later.

仙剑奇侠传五-Chinese Paladin 5
- Comments: Chinese language only.

仙剑奇侠传六-Chinese Paladin 6
- Comments: Chinese language only. How many of these are there?

Past Releases
September 3rd - September 9th
August 27th - September 2nd
August 20th - August 26th
August 13th - August 19th
August 6th - August 12th

If 200 is your buy in price for the slim why didn't you get one when dealseeker was posting them for 180 last year? Though really you may as well just wait for the pros price to drop at this rate.
Know you weren't talking to me (though I was talking to the other poster so, kinda?) but man, I must have missed the 'dealseeker' posts. I have a gaming PC, so that's why I didnt care too much about the consoles in general. But if I saw that deal now, I'd be real tempted to get a PS4 for the kids primary use.

Know you weren't talking to me (though I was talking to the other poster so, kinda?) but man, I must have missed the 'dealseeker' posts. I have a gaming PC, so that's why I didnt care too much about the consoles in general. But if I saw that deal now, I'd be real tempted to get a PS4 for the kids primary use.
That dude constantly spams this forum with pseudo-intellectual nonsense and blogging yet doesn't own any of the modern gen consoles nor a gaming PC. No idea why he even comes here. And now he's decided to infest the JP thread. He's annoying as fuck. He flips games on Ebay and still whines about not wanting, and not buying, $200 consoles. Just ignore him.

Will they port all the issues of the PS3 game over? LOL

All joking aside, those are two great games that I've never finished, so a good buy if it happens, and once I get a PS4 of course.

bread's done
Back