Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh can't believe I missed Nier again. Was $9.99 at Square store on sale for site relaunch. I was looking to add something to make the $9 shipping more palatable. Added Star Ocean V for $9.99 and then Nier was waitlisted. I would have gladly paid $19 for Nier. Are there any twitter feeds to follow besides Wario64 and cheapassgamer for good deals? I never get Wario64 notifications for some reason.

Nintendo shares new infographic covering Fall 2017 / Holiday 2017 / 2018 releases

release-infographic.jpg

Dead or Alive Xtreme: Venus Vacation Gets New Screenshots: Kasumi, Helena, Kokoro and More

Summon Night 6: Lost Borders launches October 31 in North America, shortly after in Europe

Cloud of Darkness Confirmed for Dissidia Final Fantasy NT on PS4

-

Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Future Tone DX details ‘PV Photo’ feature

First Your Four Knight Princess Training Story screenshots

Ugh can't believe I missed Nier again. Was $9.99 at Square store on sale for site relaunch. I was looking to add something to make the $9 shipping more palatable. Added Star Ocean V for $9.99 and then Nier was waitlisted. I would have gladly paid $19 for Nier. Are there any twitter feeds to follow besides Wario64 and cheapassgamer for good deals? I never get Wario64 notifications for some reason.
There's DailyGameDeal, but he/she has a lot of post overlap with Wario64.

Also DealSeeker2U if you're interested in Amazon Warehouse stuff.

Since they both use affiliate links I probably shouldn't link them directly.

Weekly free PSN junk:

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round
PS4
- Marie Rose Opoona Outfit (PS+ Only)

Senko no Ronde 2
PS4
- Voice Pack

Nights of Azure 2
PS4
- Special Theme

This weeks weekly sale is Sale of the Dead Week 1. It has a few thread related games in the sale. Also it seems that Chaos;Child did release this week, but digital only? Physical is next week. Weird that they're separate when the release dates are so close to each other.
Thanks, Draekon, but that Nights of Azure 2 Theme must be part of a cruel joke. Lol

I just got done watching Fate stay night Unlimited Blade Works for the very first time. It was good, but not as grand as I was expecting. Maybe its a thing with me, that I always tend to like the first movie in a trilogy, or the original source material the most. I expected a lot more story development with both Illya and Sakura.

Really looking forward to seeing Heaven's Feel now that I've finally watched and enjoyed all three series.
Both those characters get their info covered in the prequel anime so that may be why as giving their info in this spoils the stuff from the prequel and you'd know who the main villains are in the current one among other spoilers.
illya being the mc's older sister and a humonculus and sakura being archers masters younger sister and what happend to their father and stuffles

I do agree that they could have covered some things though.

I read some of the reviews for Gundam Versus. Then I immediately went to Amazon, and ordered a copy of Gundam Versus. I was iffy on the game up until the reviews came out. I'm a pretty big Gundam fan, but there have been plenty of Gundam games that were all fan-service, and no substance under the hood. (mediocre to weak mechanics) But this title sounds like the gameplay is there, as well as some surprisingly good multiplayer support on-line. The lack of local multiplayer or split-screen is unfortunate, but comrpomises must be made somewhere. And the fan-service has not been skimped on either, as the base game's roster is 94 playable suits deep.

My best friend is an even bigger Gundam fan than I am. I'm going to bring my PS4 over to his place and show this baby off. Maybe I'll finally be able to convince him to upgrade to a PS4.

I honestly just want a Gundam RPG like Battlefield Record 0081. That should've been the game we got for PS3 instead of the pos that was Crossfire. 

And another Gundam Vita game like SEED Battle Destiny

I'd love to see a follow up to MS Saga: A New Dawn. That is one of my all time favorite hidden gem JRPGs. The story was pretty mediocre (which is an absolute shame and should be fixed in a sequel) but the battle system, difficulty, and awesome amount of options present in the customization system for the mobile suits were absolutely top notch! 

If you're talking about the UBW movie, you should watch the tv series instead. The tv series is amazing! Again though, there won't be much on Illya or Sakura. Illya, or at least her backstory, is better covered in Fate/Zero, and Sakura's story will be in Heaven's Feel.
both illya and sakuras backstories are covered in zero actually. We just don't get to find out what happened inbetween zero and stay nite.

both illya and sakuras backstories are covered in zero actually. We just don't get to find out what happened inbetween zero and stay nite.
I know their stories were covered in Fate/zero. However, they were throwaway characters in UBW with little character development. As were several other main characters. If you had no other frame of reference, while watching UBW you'd be wondering "who is this person Sakura and what is she doing cooking over at Shiro's house all the time" and "where does Illya fit into this story at all? The show suggests that they are important characters and then has no follow-through. Shinji was inexplicably terrible too. And the Rider class servant barely exists.

The show had several primary characters with ambiguous roles. The story is too assuming, and glances over several plot elements.

UBW was fine. It was good. I just don't know why its received better and rated higher than the other two series when I thought it easily did a poorer job of storytelling and world-building.

The show suggests that they are important characters and then has no follow-through. Shinji was inexplicably terrible too. And the Rider class servant barely exists.
This is why I like the Heaven's Feel story the best. More information/development on these characters that have been mostly left out in the other adaptations.

Also, it's all about Sakura (aka Best Girl). So that's a win for me. :)

Regardless of opinions on UBW or the other series, the one truth is Shirou sucks
Yeah, he sucks in everything except Heaven's Feel though ;)

I know their stories were covered in Fate/zero. However, they were throwaway characters in UBW with little character development. As were several other main characters. If you had no other frame of reference, while watching UBW you'd be wondering "who is this person Sakura and what is she doing cooking over at Shiro's house all the time" and "where does Illya fit into this story at all? The show suggests that they are important characters and then has no follow-through. Shinji was inexplicably terrible too. And the Rider class servant barely exists.

The show had several primary characters with ambiguous roles. The story is too assuming, and glances over several plot elements.

UBW was fine. It was good. I just don't know why its received better and rated higher than the other two series when I thought it easily did a poorer job of storytelling and world-building.
From what I understand its because ufotable did the art for it mostly. That and all the video games. I agree poor rider class. Especially when compared to the one from the prequel.

I read some of the reviews for Gundam Versus. Then I immediately went to Amazon, and ordered a copy of Gundam Versus. I was iffy on the game up until the reviews came out. I'm a pretty big Gundam fan, but there have been plenty of Gundam games that were all fan-service, and no substance under the hood. (mediocre to weak mechanics) But this title sounds like the gameplay is there, as well as some surprisingly good multiplayer support on-line. The lack of local multiplayer or split-screen is unfortunate, but comrpomises must be made somewhere. And the fan-service has not been skimped on either, as the base game's roster is 94 playable suits deep.

My best friend is an even bigger Gundam fan than I am. I'm going to bring my PS4 over to his place and show this baby off. Maybe I'll finally be able to convince him to upgrade to a PS4.
oh dam no local multiplayer ?
that's a complete pass for me.

God Eater 3 teases protagonist, new fields and Aragami

Microsoft ‘not very supportive’ of Japanese games, says NIS America

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe update out now (version 1.3.0)

-

Senran Kagura Burst Re:Newal Gets New Screenshots and Gameplay Videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOYnaslxMcg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx1_3fIbuG4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DAaA_kGvbQ

Summer Lesson: Chisato Shinjo Gets New Screenshots Showing Quirky DLC

Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet Reveals Yuuki, Strea and Much More in New Screenshots

Touhou Kobuto V: Burst Battle Brings The Bullet Hell Action To Switch In Japan On November 2

-

Ultra Sun and Pokemon Ultra Moon are the last Pokemon RPGs for 3DS

Kirby Battle Royale demo trailer

Switch version 4.0.0 adds support for wireless USB headsets

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 introduces members from Torna

-

Demon Gaze II Gets New Trailer Showing a Whole Harem of Waifus

Doukoku Soshite… PS4 and PS Vita Remaster Gets First Creepy Trailer

Fire Emblem Warriors DLC characters revealed – Azura, Tharja, more

Fire Emblem Fates

– New Playable Characters

Azura
Niles
Oboro

– New History Maps

Three new History Maps added, each with new stories featuring various characters.

– Five new Costumes
– 13 new Broken-Armor Models

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon

Navarre
Minerva
Linde

– New History Maps

Three new History Maps added, each with new stories featuring various characters.

– Four new Costumes
– Six new Weapons
– Nine new Broken-Armor Models

Fire Emblem Awakening

Owain
Tharja
Olivia

– New History Maps

– Three new Costumes
– Seven new Weapons
– Ten new Broken-Armor Models

Anyone play Gundam Side Story 0079 on the Dreamcast? I remember really loving it back in the day.
That game was amazing, especially for the time. Main reason I bought a Dreamcast. The PS2 had a great line-up of Gundam games as well. Spent countless hours on Federation vs. Zeon and Encounters in Space. Also, those Battle Assault PS1 games were exceptional 2D fighters.

Haven't been able to get into the new Gundam games as much as the older ones.

I'm sure this is posted in the Steam thread, but for those few of you here who don't pay attention to that thread and have a somewhat gaming capable PC, you can get Steam Link (+ ICEY) for $16.68 shipped within the US. It streams Steam games from your PC to whatever monitor/tv you have the Steam Link attached to within your household. A decent alternative for those of you who can't hook your PC up directly to your TV. Though you'd still really want to hardwire it into your network via an Ethernet cable. Here's a list of compatible controllers should anybody be interested. Since most people here have a PS4, you shouldn't need anything more.

Hopefully the steam link will help me get back on track with playing my steam games many of which are the very japanese niche games I enjoy.

I'm guessing they have some excess stock on Steam Links lying around, and are hoping to clear out some warehouse space.

Well, I have no problem taking some of that off their hands. The game has decent reviews, and getting ICEY + a Steam Link for less than $20 is a pretty good deal. And there are a sizable number of TV-style games in my Steam Library now.

I just had my Atelier Firis order from Gamefly cancelled due to the Paypal payment having an expired credit card. I guess streaming from PC is just as good. 

That game was amazing, especially for the time. Main reason I bought a Dreamcast. The PS2 had a great line-up of Gundam games as well. Spent countless hours on Federation vs. Zeon and Encounters in Space. Also, those Battle Assault PS1 games were exceptional 2D fighters.

Haven't been able to get into the new Gundam games as much as the older ones.
Yes, Encounters in Space FTW. I still throw that one into the PS2 every now and then. The same with Battle Assault 2.

Bestbuy.com said Fire Emblem Warriors would be delivered on release date when I preordered it a few weeks ago. They just shipped it today and it's a few states away.

0/10. Will NEVER preorder or buy anything from Best Buy again.

Until the next game I want comes out

Bestbuy.com said Fire Emblem Warriors would be delivered on release date when I preordered it a few weeks ago. They just shipped it today and it's a few states away.
They haven't even shipped mine... :censored:

bread's done
Back