Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would pick Xillia first.  Playing Berseria first would make it hard to go back to Xillia.

Soooo, Tales of Xillia vs Tales of Berseria. Which should I play first??
I agree with what Defvayne said. I personally love Xillia and it may be my favorite tales game. but Berseria is generally loved by all and rated very highly across the board. Also if you play Xillia 2, you probably shouldn't do it right after the first since it'll burn you out.

I'm probably gonna pass on the miku concert since I passed on the last one.

Soooo, Tales of Xillia vs Tales of Berseria. Which should I play first??
Have you played a tales game before? If not then neither would be a good start point. Xillia would be first since berseria comes four games after it and uses alot of the mechanics graces and xillia had. Going backwards would be ill advised. Berseria has a demo so try that first to get a feel. Personally I find berseria too complicated for no reason. The weakness system should have died with graces and has not once been balanced. Many characters have small move sets to begin with. The weakness system almost ensures that they are unplayable.

I would pick Xillia first. Playing Berseria first would make it hard to go back to Xillia.
And it has so many mechanics that it would be a very rough starting point over xillia.

Xillia. Those are my top two Tales games, but Berseria definitely has a better battle system (in my opinion anyway) so I think going from that to Xillia might be hard and possibly hurt your enjoyment of Xillia.
Agreed. Oh and if you play xillia you need to play Judes route. Millas route is identical minus two or three bosses and the lava tubes dungeon which you can go into on judes route anyway though the boss wont be there. Millas route is missing alot of important story scenes that you see on judes route

Chiming in to say play Xillia fist, but skip 2, then go to Berseria. Both are in the top for favorite Tales games but it would be really hard to go back to play Xillia after playing Berseria. Plus the few jokes about Millia would fall flat in Berseria.

Drove to Dallas in 2016 for Miku Expo but it looks like we're not going to be able to hit up the 2018 one since it happens between our return trip from Anime Central and me leaving for a conference. Booooo.  

Thanks for the advice guys!

tumblr_o7s5o5Es8B1sn28nno1_500.gif

Its boring and filled with anime tropes. You just spam artes over and over until u win.
I find it very underwhelming too. I’ve started Symphonia 3 different times and have yet to finish it. I played Xillia earlier this year, tried to started Graces f and none of them have held my interest. I find most of the main cast irritating and the combat while it seems to have “depth” really just requires button mashing and little to no actual planning. I want to like it since it’s so highly regarded, but it just seems to be a below average RPG series to me.

I find it very underwhelming too. I’ve started Symphonia 3 different times and have yet to finish it. I played Xillia earlier this year, tried to started Graces f and none of them have held my interest. I find most of the main cast irritating and the combat while it seems to have “depth” really just requires button mashing and little to no actual planning. I want to like it since it’s so highly regarded, but it just seems to be a below average RPG series to me.
Exactly this

Exactly this
Not a fan either. I don't hate them, but none of the games I've tried to play ever grabbed me enough to stay with them.

Well if you want a challenge play graces solo mode with the high critical books and such on highest difficulty setting will test your reflexes. The arenas are where you go to for the other games if you want a challenge there since you won't be winning with button mashing there and require using invincibility frames and dodging. Rebirth is arguably the hardest game in the series but it wasn't localized.

I will take Tales battle system over turned base battle system any day.  Tales of Graces F has one of the best battle system and you cannot button smash.  The skits in the newer games add a lot of humor.  

I will take Tales battle system over turned base battle system any day. Tales of Graces F has one of the best battle system and you cannot button smash. The skits in the newer games add a lot of humor.
Legend of Dragoon, Legend of Legaia, and Vagrant Story are the pinnacle of RPG combat.

I will take Tales battle system over turned base battle system any day. Tales of Graces F has one of the best battle system and you cannot button smash. The skits in the newer games add a lot of humor.
To be fair you can quite easily button mash on the lower difficulty setting. Especially with piggy back damage set up while wearing low level armor in tandem with auto revive food. One shots everything in the game. To go into more detail piggy back is a skill that comes on 1 title for cher and one for hubert. Any damage taken with it equipped is absorbed and will be inflicted back on the enemy when you attack them. So you set up your character to get damaged as much as possible use the revive dish to bring them back instantly then have them attack the enemy inflicting damage higher than normally possible since enemies damage can be absurd. There's no damage cap in tales of graces or at least no one ever reached it. I saw one video where poisson did over 1.25 million damage with her mystic arte.

Made all the more odd since characters hp caps out at 9999.

Richards broken vengeant fangs makes quick work of enemies as well. The only time you wouldn't be able to mash would be the scripted boss battles that require specific artes to break their nova barriers. Since you can't break them otherwise. oh I forgot combo ma's. You can spam those once every battle and hubert comes with his barrage gun art that does like a 30 hit combo all on its own.

But yes once you unlock everything graces has a crazy amount of complexity to it. Too bad most of it is hidden behind a metric shit ton of grinding and farming.

Skits wise its a trade off. We get fewer of them but they have voice acting now where as prior to legendia they didn't. Some of symphonia and abyss's skits were pretty damn funny. Like van's beard and mustache shoot lasers or the kendama constantly hitting raine in the head whenever someone uses it.

Or the random sexual innuendo objects hisui's weapons shoot out depending on the user.

Does Xenoblade 2's RNG fall off a cliff as soon as you have most-ish of the rare blades?

Because damn, I have 7 left to get (some aren't RNG ones, I just haven't done the quests yet). I saved a lot of my core crystals for the end of the game.

I had 80 common, 40 rare, and 7 legendary crystals I equipped two luck accessories, and two blades with luck mod and opened them all and...

I got 0 rare blades. WTF.

I had a lot of fun finishing the main story for what it's worth. I was kind of hoping to finish up the blade album and level them up with leftover side-quests / post-game but I think I'm going to take a break from it for now instead. lol

Does Xenoblade 2's RNG fall off a cliff as soon as you have most-ish of the rare blades?
Yes, it does. It's as if individual blades have a 0.25% chance to 'drop' and the more you have, the less likely you are to get a new one. It would've been better if they were combined into a single % drop chance. I mentioned this in my long post about it as it gets very annoying/grindy end/post game. Not to mention Idea points seem to effect what type of blade element you're more likely to get before you even 'roll' for a rare blade I feel, making it even more of a pain. Then if you're trying to get KOS-MOS, the only light element rare blade, you're fucked in favor of dark element rare blades because there are a decent amount of them. I'm not even sure if common blades will roll light either as I don't recall ever getting one. It's like they wanted Mythra/Hikari to be unique but then a collab happened to get KOS-MOS in there so they changed things up not caring how incredibly rare their RNG is. It would've been better as a more difficult late or post game quest in my opinion.

It's an incredibly poor and unsatisfying system honestly. More so since you can't transfer blades to other characters without bending over backwards. Not to mention it feels like a gacha system too, which I hate. Plus I wouldn't even want to think how long it would take to level up all the rare blades trust/affinity. It takes too long and feeding them items is incredibly slow and tedious. Sending them out in squads isn't really decently quick either.

No thread related console/handheld games this week and I don't think I saw anything for next week either. There are some PC releases, most notably the official Touhou fighting game. It's Japanese language only, although that shouldn't matter much for a fighter.

Other stuff that released without warning last week (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- Song of Memories (Japanese Language Only | Visual Novel)

Weekly Releases (December 31st - January 6th)

Carnage in Space: Ignition
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Action Platformer
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A

Last Berserker™ : Endless War
- Genre: Survival / Beat'em Up
- Comments: Similar to one finger death punch.

Bravium
- Genre: Tower Defense / RPG Lite

Lost Summoner Kitty
- Genre: Strategy?
- Comments: Some weird looking Japanese indie game.

Aiso
- Genre: Action
- Comments: Chinese dev.

Beach Rules
- Genre: Mini-Games

Shoujo City
- Genre: Simulation / Dating Sim
- Comments: Early access title.

Fallen Legion+
- Genre: RPG / Action
- Comments: Previous released on PS4 & Vita. Contains both Sins of an Empire & Flames of Rebellion.

東方憑依華 ~ Antinomy of Common Flowers.
- Genre: Fighting
- Online: Yes.
- Comments: Japanese language only. Touhou 15.5 (Official Touhou Game).

Past Releases
December 24th - December 30th
December 17th - December 23rd
December 10th - December 16th
December 3rd - December 9th
November 26th - December 2nd

Well if you want a challenge play graces solo mode with the high critical books and such on highest difficulty setting will test your reflexes. The arenas are where you go to for the other games if you want a challenge there since you won't be winning with button mashing there and require using invincibility frames and dodging. Rebirth is arguably the hardest game in the series but it wasn't localized.
Graces F on high difficulty still wasn't that hard.

Graces F on high difficulty still wasn't that hard.
Did you use any other settings or just the highest difficulty? Because solo book +critical and the other books and grade shop options make things far harder even if it makes enemies and bosses glass cannons.

Happy new year everyone.

Did you use any other settings or just the highest difficulty? Because solo book +critical and the other books and grade shop options make things far harder even if it makes enemies and bosses glass cannons.
I used at least some of the damage books, but I don't remember if it was all of them.

Year of the dog =(

devochka-2018-novyi-god-art-anime-sobaka.jpg

bread's done
Back