Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone been keeping up with how broken Monster Hunter Worlds is... I hope capcom can fix it in a week :D/
ezgif.com-video-to-gif74794b47287949e5.gif
That's pretty normal for clusting with 4 players. I remember taking down Elder Dragons in other games using just Clusts.

Cygames pretty much gave Platinum Games complete reign on it as well as a higher budget and this what they accomplish.

Not a musou. Action RPG

Played some of the Metal Gear Survive beta last night. It was pretty fun. Not a game I'd spend $60 for, but for around $25 I'd pick it up. The crafting, storage, and even some of the controls seemed to be overly complicated, and the beta doesn't offer much in the way of options, but the few co-op matches I played were enjoyable. Still, I'd much prefer if Konami had used their amazing Fox Engine to build a standalone Metal Gear Online game, basing it more on the MGO included in MGS4 than the bare bones one in Phantom Pain.

Played some of the Metal Gear Survive beta last night. It was pretty fun. Not a game I'd spend $60 for, but for around $25 I'd pick it up. The crafting, storage, and even some of the controls seemed to be overly complicated, and the beta doesn't offer much in the way of options, but the few co-op matches I played were enjoyable. Still, I'd much prefer if Konami had used their amazing Fox Engine to build a standalone Metal Gear Online game, basing it more on the MGO included in MGS4 than the bare bones one in Phantom Pain.
I felt it was ok for what it was, but don't see the point of the game and I could see the community dying fairly quickly; especially since we're getting much bigger and involved games such as MHW.

Speaking of which, finally managed to kill Nerg in a team of 3 today, so that was nice and get that checked off my to do list.

Also, Granblue looks amazeballs. My only criticism for it is the attached voiceline every time the healer heals someone; I was so annoyed from watching the video after about 3 mins from when they started showing combat. Hope they mix in couple different lines or something in the final game. Everything else is great tho.

Kojima.jpg

Played some of the Metal Gear Survive beta last night. It was pretty fun. Not a game I'd spend $60 for, but for around $25 I'd pick it up. The crafting, storage, and even some of the controls seemed to be overly complicated, and the beta doesn't offer much in the way of options, but the few co-op matches I played were enjoyable.
I played it again today, but with friends. It's just as fun as it was when I went into public matchmaking. I'll more than likely get it since I'll be finished with getting the platinum for Monster Hunter: World before Survive's release date.

Tokyo Xanadu eX+ Limited Edition for PS4 has dropped down to $95 on Amazon (MSRP $150), for anyone still interested.

I played it again today, but with friends. It's just as fun as it was when I went into public matchmaking. I'll more than likely get it since I'll be finished with getting the platinum for Monster Hunter: World before Survive's release date.
You have some insight into the MHW trophy list or just assuming that will be enough time?

Finally beat Nergal the Angry Dragon with hunting horn today. I'm done with abbreviated time limit hunting missions forever now, seriously fuck that guy.

If you guys are playing on ps4, feel free to use the Japanese Niche Games community there, which allows you to set up events and parties that start at a given time.
Go one step further, Make a guild! or w/e they're calling them in game.

Since you can be in as many as you want, shouldn't be a issue.

A lot of games releasing this week, with quite a few of them being worthy of a look. I'm going to recommend checking out Iconoclasts and of course Zwei even though it's a 17 year old game. Now I just need to pick one of those two to play before Monster Hunter World.

Other stuff that released without warning last week (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- The Endless Journey 无终之旅 (Adventure / Point-n-Click)
- Ascendant Hearts (Visual Novel / RPG?)
- Fantasy World (Strategy / Simulation)
- Q-YO Blaster (SHMUP)
- Infinos Gaiden (SHMUP)
- ShineG In The SeaFight (SHMUP)

Weekly Releases (January 21st - January 27th)

New Nintendo 2DS XL (Pikachu Edition)
- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: Hardware

Iconoclasts
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita, PC
- Genre: Metroidvania
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Same dev who made Noitu Love. Should be good.

Lost Sphear
- Platform(s): PS4, Switch, PC
- Genre: RPG
- Demo: Yes.
- Comments: Hopefully it fixes the issues I had with I Am Setsuna.

OK K.O.! Let's Play Heroes
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1, PC
- Genre: Action / Brawler
- Comments: Another Adult Swim/Cartoon Network game.

Dragon Ball FighterZ
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1, PC
- Genre: Fighting
- Online: Yes.

Monster Hunter: World
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1
- Genre: Action / Monster Hunter
- Comments: PC version releasing later this year.

The Inpatient
- Platform(s): PS4 VR
- Genre: Psychological Horror
- Comments: Takes place 60 years before Until Dawn.

Celest
- Platform(s): Switch, PC
- Genre: Platformer

Zero Gunner 2
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: SHMUP
- Comments: Port of the Dreamcast game I think?

Shu
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: Platformer

Hidden Dragon: Legend
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Action Platformer

Dad's co-worker
- Genre: Visual Novel

Luvocious

Yuzi Lims: anime runner
- Genre: Runner
- Comments: Very flash game esque.

Edepth Angel: Pinocchio's Murder
- Genre: Visual Novel / Mystery

Staxel
- Genre: Simulation / Building / Voxel
- Comments: Early access. Published by Humble Bundle.

Super Slime Arena
- Genre: Fighting / Arena
- Comments: Up to 50 players, wat.

My Time At Portia
- Genre: Simulation / Action
- Comments: Early access.

I Love My Brother
- Comments: Told from the perspective of a diary.

Sister's Love
- Comments: Told from the perspective of a diary.

Zwei: The Arges Adventure
- Genre: Action RPG
- Comments: Originally released in 2001 and updated from its ancient DX5 engine. Its indirect sequel is already out.

LEGRAND LEGACY: Tale of the Fatebounds
- Comments: Seems like it has potential. Kickstarter game.

Bold Blade
- Genre: Action RPG

Dust and Salt
- Genre: Strategy RPG / Text Adventure

My Life as a Maiden
- Genre: Visual Novel / Crossdressing

Clumsy Knights : Threats of Dragon

茂伸奇谈-Monobeno-
- Comments: Japanese & Chinese language only.

kakusankibou / 扩散希望
- Genre: Visual Novel / Violent
- Comments: Japanese & Chinese language only.

Past Releases
January 14th - January 20th
January 7th - January 13th
December 31st - January 6th
December 24th - December 30th
December 17th - December 23rd

I tend to avoid discord unless it's strictly for a gaming sessions voice chat. I had enough with IRC back around the year 2000. Definitely not doing that again.

Go one step further, Make a guild! or w/e they're calling them in game.

Since you can be in as many as you want, shouldn't be a issue.
The in-game guild would've happened for sure. Would definitely need to be used in tandem with the PS Community Group.

The main issue with grouping up will be everyones pacing if we do pre-planned gaming sessions/nights. You have people like Supplice as well as veterans who will fly through content while there are others who go at a snails pace. Hopefully it won't be too bad and some people wouldn't mind helping out the lowest common denominator.

I don't think I'll be going through it too quickly. Depends on my friend who I generally play with.

Got charged for my MH World CE from Gamestop. Hoping it will arrive on release day.....
I preordered this at my local store and apparently they are closing for good today. Got an email saying my preorder was moved to the next closest store (around 11 miles away) and I was provided a 20% off coupon (good on anything but hardware) for my inconvenience. Couldn't have been better timing to save $30 off the CE, but driving the extra miles to get it is a slight pain in the ass.

I preordered this at my local store and apparently they are closing for good today. Got an email saying my preorder was moved to the next closest store (around 11 miles away) and I was provided a 20% off coupon (good on anything but hardware) for my inconvenience. Couldn't have been better timing to save $30 off the CE, but driving the extra miles to get it is a slight pain in the ass.
Count yourself lucky, as I'm surprised they even bothered to contact you honestly. LOL

Hopefully this close relationship between SE and Nintendo will lead to a western release of DQ10 on the Switch. Would be a great launch title for Nintendo's online.
Nintendo been publishing SE games in the US for a long time, including DQIX and Bravely Default

I put up a post in this threads PS Community asking for days/time frames that people are available for some Monster Hunter World sessions. So if anybody is interested they can reply there and I'll setup a future event. If there isn't any replies, I'll just set one for a Saturday or Sunday evening and go from there.

I'll also be playing this with a friend in a 2-person group, so anybody else is welcome to join me as well. Just shoot me a friend request on PSN which is the same name as I use here or find me in the PSN Community's members list as I'm pretty high up due to being a mod. You're welcome to just pop into our party chat. He and I will be playing a bit this weekend I'd wager.

Lost Sphear
- Comments: Hopefully it fixes the issues I had with I Am Setsuna.
I did not see one person finish the demo at SDCC. It's a little sad. It feels so... slow? It feels like an early 90s game in terms of pacing. Run across this big barren town 3 times for this errand. Judging by where everyone abandoned the demo, no one can stand 10 minutes of that.

I put up a post in this threads PS Community asking for days/time frames that people are available for some Monster Hunter World sessions. So if anybody is interested they can reply there and I'll setup a future event. If there isn't any replies, I'll just set one for a Saturday or Sunday evening and go from there.

I'll also be playing this with a friend in a 2-person group, so anybody else is welcome to join me as well. Just shoot me a friend request on PSN which is the same name as I use here or find me in the PSN Community's members list as I'm pretty high up due to being a mod. You're welcome to just pop into our party chat. He and I will be playing a bit this weekend I'd wager.
What is the name of the PSN community? I think I missed joining when that was all going on. I’ll definitely be playing MHW. I’m really glad to see it back on a Sony system. Idk why but I couldn’t get into the 3DS games after playing the PSP ones.

I did not see one person finish the demo at SDCC. It's a little sad. It feels so... slow? It feels like an early 90s game in terms of pacing. Run across this big barren town 3 times for this errand. Judging by where everyone abandoned the demo, no one can stand 10 minutes of that.
That wouldn't surprise me. My friend played the demo and pre-ordered it, so I could play it if I wanted at some point. However like you mentioned, it feels old school while not incorporating much of any of the improvements from newer generations of games. At least that's how Setsuna felt to me. I haven't played the demo for this game yet.

What is the name of the PSN community? I think I missed joining when that was all going on. I’ll definitely be playing MHW. I’m really glad to see it back on a Sony system. Idk why but I couldn’t get into the 3DS games after playing the PSP ones.
Apparently BRW changed the name. It's now named "CAG Japanese Niche Games Community & Backloggers Anonymous". The icon for it is typical CAG colors of black/green/orange/off-white. If you're friended with someone in this thread, they may already be in it. In which case you can look at their joined communities and join through them.

It's no longer invite only, but if necessary just give me your PSN tag and I can invite you that way as well.

^
Before anybody considers buying the Vita version over the PS4 version. The Vita version does not have the extra eX+ content and the translation is worse from what I hear as they updated it for the eX+ version but did not patch it into the Vita version.

If you're just after the extra swag that comes with the LE, then that's a different story.

I'm still salty they teased that Sexy Nerdy Redhead look, then gave us this as the playable version. I mean the Buu design is still cool and unique but I miss the Sexy Nerdy Redhead version.

Apparently BRW changed the name. It's now named "CAG Japanese Niche Games Community & Backloggers Anonymous". The icon for it is typical CAG colors of black/green/orange/off-white. If you're friended with someone in this thread, they may already be in it. In which case you can look at their joined communities and join through them.

It's no longer invite only, but if necessary just give me your PSN tag and I can invite you that way as well.
Yeah, thanks for clarifying! Also, I think the PSN community search works if you type in any words in the title, so typing in "CAG Niche" gives me the result for the niche community.

It's the one with around 115 members, and an awesome Monster Hunter wallpaper Draekon posted!

It's the one with around 115 members, and an awesome Monster Hunter wallpaper Draekon posted!
Does it tell you who changed the wallpaper now as the owner of the community? I just got kinda tired of seeing non-gaming images as the background and figured now is as good as time as any to update it.

Downed Nergigante on my 3rd try with less than a minute ingame time and 12 minutes of Beta time to spare. Double buzzer beater.

90% sure I'm gonna be sticking with the Bowguns for now, most players seem to be playing Melee, so having some consistent long range damage really comes in handy. Though I might default back to my love of the Hunting Horn and Switch Axe

Does it tell you who changed the wallpaper now as the owner of the community? I just got kinda tired of seeing non-gaming images as the background and figured now is as good as time as any to update it.
No it doesn't lol, I just assumed though. Heh heh sorry, I just love cosplay too much. Plus, the eye candy is clickbait, and probably got a few more members to join. There was only one other instance I think where the wallpaper was changed, to a Persona 5 one, but I have no clue who did it, I always assumed Neomonk for that one.

I too prefer sexy nerd Android 21 over Majin 21
If only they had it like their previous games, where for P4A we got Labrys/Shadow Labrys, and P4AU had Minazuki/Persona Minazuki. We could've had Sexy Nerdy Redhead 21/Majin 21.

Now that the MHW betas are probably over for good, my kills aside from the four quest monsters include Kulu-Ya-Ku and Jyuratodos. Also fought a Rathalos and a Pukei-Pukei (ran out of time on the former and lost track of the latter).

Didn't realize how much I've missed playing Monster Hunter until I randomly matched up with a solid party and we beat Nergiante with less then 30 seconds to spare.  I channeled my inner GUTS and was able to get a lot of good hits on it with the Great Sword. Party rolled with dual blades, long sword, and the bow.

OMGGG!!!!!

https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/955500334515814411

I need it... nyaaaaaa.

And I'm guessing Midori wants it too.

So what's the deal with the Shadow of the Colossus Special Edition? Did I just miss the pre-order window since I'm slow?

Everywhere I look has it unavailable, which is pretty confusing. 

bread's done
Back