Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got done playing Metal Saga last week, cool game that's very different from most jrpgs. The non-linear gameplay is a lot of fun - being able to leave the first town and run off in any direction like you're in a Bethesda game is great. I actually played the first five hours or so without even gaining a level. Although, that leads me to one of the game's biggest flaws - you can run from every battle, which made it too easy to explore the world at a very low level. There was a lot of good equipment just laying around in some of the towns, so it was much easier to get stronger that way. You could then go back and clobber the earlier enemies and bosses. I always felt like I was way over or under powered for every boss fight.

The characters and towns were nice, and I enjoyed the sense of humor. The main story wasn't much, and what was there wasn't really too interesting. The trigger for completing the story and some of the other enemies/events can be obscure, as well. Definitely a game for people who put gameplay over story in their rpgs.

Looking forward to the PS4 game!

I went ahead and created another Monster Hunter: World Multiplayer event and posted it to the Community group. It's set for Friday (5:30 PM PST / 8:30 PM EST). After the last event, I think it's best to mostly focus on your own thing for the most part. People who haven't advanced through the story can do some story missions while getting some other people to jump in and help out. People who are a bit farther could group up to complete optional quests or farm materials.

I know a lot of people want to get to HR6 for the event, which this would also prove beneficial. Getting people to help you through the story missions would be useful.

I'm at a bit of an impasse now in the game anyhow. Have an optional quest for a Kirin, but my armor is insanely weak to electricity. So one false step and I die, which isn't hard to do when you get hit by attacks you literally can't see in your FoV as they're choreographed behind your camera occasionally. Alternatively the Pink Rathalos is being a pain in the ass to solo for me right now. Even though I have fairly good armor (also weak to Fire), he hits like a god damned truck even after using food with Defense Boost L. Though I should have that one done later this evening.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55HaxBAOivw[/media]

Excited

The person playing isn't great though.

Bought it back on the PS3 and played through a little bit of it. Enjoyed what I played but never came close to beating it. So it'll be good to finally see that in English. Wonder what quarter they're planning on releasing it in.

Played through a bit of Monster Hunter World. I'm glad the tutorial is so much shorter this time around, but I don't know if it's just me, but I am left with a ton of questions and felt like not enough was explained.
The tutorials are very bare bones, but they provide enough for the core function of the game. They leave a lot out when it comes to using items like barrels or learning more about elements/procs.

For me in MH, I've mostly been farming hi-rank quests or helping friends get through the story. I really hate how I can't join friends at the start due to cut-scenes and the go-around we have to do in order to coop in expedition. It's the worst of any hunting game I've played. :headache: Outside that, Coop is fine when it comes to investigations, events, arena, and optional quests. Overall, game is fantastic!

Next, I have no idea why, but I'm getting 3-4 guild cards or squad invites every time I move into a session. The good thing about it is that I have 67 guild cards/palicos for use in the safari. :)

Lastly, I found someone with BRW's exact forum name, but a completely different PSN that started with "True." :lol:

Best Buy decided to ship my Monster Hunter World from the other side of the country, and without the steelbook, so I gotta wait until Tuesday until its delivered. :cry: It would appear that they cancelled the steelbook from my order so going to have to keep an eye on stores the next two weeks. Shipments were under-delivered.

It's awesome to hear that everybody is playing and enjoying the game though. It sounds cool! It seems likely that Monster Hunter will finally break into the mainstream in the Americas now with this kind of exposure and reception, and also because it released on Xbox and PS4.

We must hunt together.

Finally was able to pick up my copy of monster hunter from Bestbuy. First time this has happened to me. Literally looks like someone beat it with a meat tenderizer.

[attachment=29375:20180129_175018.jpg]

[attachment=29376:20180129_175036.jpg]

[attachment=29377:20180129_175046.jpg]

[attachment=29378:20180129_175057.jpg]

[attachment=29379:20180129_175111_HDR.jpg]

Finally was able to pick up my copy of monster hunter from Bestbuy. First time this has happened to me. Literally looks like someone beat it with a meat tenderizer.
F yo couch ******!

YOLr7Sd.gif

I just refused a CE package from SquareEnix (first time ever doing that), received my BB steelbook edition in the mail, but I'm wondering where are all the Dissidia reviews ??

Not getting a steelbook because BB decided to fuck you over > getting The Dog Chewed Limited Edition.

If anybody here ordered Sword Art Online:Fatal Bullet Phantom Edition from the Namco Bandai store, they're going to start charging next week.

Thank you for your pre-ordering Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet Phantom Edition (Playstation 4). We are pleased to announce that we will soon be preparing your order for shipment. As part of this preparation, we will begin charging for preorders on Monday, February 5th, 2018 using the payment details that you provided upon checkout.

Getting up to HR6 for the Horizon event isn't too bad. I'd wager it takes about 6 hours? If you have a limited amount of time to play, then yeah, it can be harsh depending on when you get the game relative to February 8th.
Well it doesn't look like I'm going to get it in time, it's saying it won't shipped til the 5th. I guess I'm going have to go pick up a local copy at the Wally World if I want to do this event.

attachicon.gif
20180129_175018.jpg

attachicon.gif
20180129_175036.jpg

attachicon.gif
20180129_175046.jpg

attachicon.gif
20180129_175057.jpg

attachicon.gif
20180129_175111_HDR.jpg
Oof... I feel your pain. The IT steelbook I got from them a a few weeks ago looked exactly the same, broken spine, the dents, everything except the bent side. The plast and the J-card hid/held everything together. Now I have worries as my copy is still waiting to be shipped.

For those of you that have it, how is Peach Beach with the understanding I'll most likely never play it online?
I think it was fine offline. There are different arenas, game types, and boss-style battles with some story between them. Each match will still feel like playing a shooter with bots, so as long as that doesn't bother you it's probably fine.

Lastly, I found someone with BRW's exact forum name, but a completely different PSN that started with "True." :lol:
Wow, that's strange. I mean my name in Monster Hunter is BlackRockWaifu too. Imposters...

For those of you that have it, how is Peach Beach with the understanding I'll most likely never play it online?
A bit late, but the single player is definitely worth the price of the game itself. There's a lot to do: story, tournament, side stories, etc. And the bots have varying levels of difficulty, so it doesn't feel mind-numbing to fight the CPU again and again. You can also play the online survival mode alone too, so you won't miss out on that.

The card/skill collection system in the game is really nice, and will probably keep things fresh and keep you playing for a while. It's one of the best skill card collection ideas I've seen implemented in shooters, and 1000x better than the one in Battlefront 2.

Also, if anyone is interested, I changed the Backloggers Anonymous game to Monster Hunter World, so we can use that thread to ask/answer questions and set up play times in addition to the PS4 community. That way, the niche thread doesn't get cluttered with MHW questions.

Awww yes. Gonna finish Psycho Pass and Drive Girls on my Vita and get right on it.

YS: MoC is still semi-fresh in my mind, don't know if that would make a difference though.

YS: MoC is still semi-fresh in my mind, don't know if that would make a difference though.
There's light references to the worlds lore that has been previous addressed in games. Also some light references to Celceta specifically as this takes place after it in the adventure timeline. But yeah, it's not much as Ys stories are fairly self contained.

Hopefully they address all the issues to have it be a bit more presentable. I have to wonder what they did about the "Big Hole" translation among a few other very commonly used terms that were translated terribly.

Well, Just received my Dissidia Steelbook today and............

I got hit with the Lighting case  :wall:

Any regular member on here received any of the other cases (Squall or Cloud) and willing to trade for a Lightning case?

PM me if interested in a trade (I traded and sold here on CAG before), otherwise ill just leave the slipcover on  :oldman:.

Back to MHW.

Awww yes. Gonna finish Psycho Pass and Drive Girls on my Vita and get right on it.

How has Drive Girls been? I snagged it from Play Asia before realizing we would get a NA release of it.

how do i join the Cag group in-game for MHW?
i go as TruBlackRockWaifu in the game.
j/k but i cant figure out how to join friend's servers without messaging them.

Got the Squall Steelbook from Dissidia, which was the one I wanted. Pretty stoked about that. I might pop it in for a spin later tonight. Hard to prioritize everything at the moment though, too many good games came out in the past few weeks and there's not enough time to play them. Might have to burn some of my vacation time soon!

How has Drive Girls been? I snagged it from Play Asia before realizing we would get a NA release of it.
It's servicable if you know what to expect. It does not compare to VD or SG (both of which I really liked), but throwing in a battle or two in between Psycho Pass is nice change to tone.

how do i join the Cag group in-game for MHW?
Only the leader of the squad can invite you to the squad (which is dumb). So shoot me a friend request and message me sometime or throw me a game invite when I'm on Monster Hunter and I'll invite you once we're in the same lobby. You can do missions if I'm in the middle of a hunt, so you don't need to wait in town.

Well, Just received my Dissidia Steelbook today and............

I got hit with the Lighting case :wall:

Any regular member on here received any of the other cases (Squall or Cloud) and willing to trade for a Lightning case?

PM me if interested in a trade (I traded and sold here on CAG before), otherwise ill just leave the slipcover on :oldman:.

Back to MHW.
At least you got a steelbook. My Target preorder just arrived, and it's the damned standard version. That shit's getting returned immediately.

So BB took the easy route and started handing out $10 credit for those of us who didn't get the MHW Steelbok. 

Because they sure as fuck weren't planning to ship one out and do the right thing..

What pisses me off the most which I didn't know until I opened it, was that the Collectors Edition doesn't come with the steelbook... Really Capcom?  :nottalking:

I was mad about at first too then I figured what the hell.  $48 for the game, $10 for compensation, and I think I might have gotten a $10 cert for pre-ordering too.  Bringing the game down to $28 or $38 on release week for a game I want to play while its popular.  Best Buy still rocks. 

bread's done
Back