Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
They go up to 32GB, but 8GB is supposedly the sweet spot where Nintendo charges the same amount that Xbox and PlayStation charge for discs.

I’m still irritated about half of the collection being on a voucher. I switched my preorder to the PS4 because of this.

Isn’t this like the 4th collection they’ve done this too on the Switch now? Bayonetta Collection, Resident Evil Revelations Collection, Mega Man Legacy Collection, and Mega Man X Legacy Collection all only have half of the games on physical cartridge. Can they really not put it all on the cartridge or are they just being lazy?
The upcoming Banner Saga Trilogy on the Switch also only has one game on the cart, with download codes for the other two. The kicker (and complete slap in the face)? They are charging $10 more for the physical Switch version ($49.99) compared to the disc versions ($39.99 with all games on disc). Absolutely ridiculous! As soon as I found that out I preordered the PS4 version and will only buy the Switch version if it is $10 or under.

The upcoming Banner Saga Trilogy on the Switch also only has one game on the cart, with download codes for the other two. The kicker (and complete slap in the face)? They are charging $10 more for the physical Switch version ($49.99) compared to the disc versions ($39.99 with all games on disc). Absolutely ridiculous! As soon as I found that out I preordered the PS4 version and will only buy the Switch version if it is $10 or under.
This is starting to sound like the N64 cartridge vs.disc problem all over again.

Re: Octopath

I haven't played enough, but yea, the story is nowhere near as well done as say, Bravely Default's. The characters always feel like they're traveling alone, until they're not. I do like the gameplay, but 3 of my mains are fun (to me) with a lot of utility (hunter, thief, apothecary). If I went around with Primrose and Ophelia, I'd probably die of boredom.

If the Vita taught me anything it's that storage space on a portable is a valuable commodity, you can't just stick a hard drive on it. That's half the point of buying physical. This kind of thing makes me not bother buying the games at all.

If the Vita taught me anything it's that storage space on a portable is a valuable commodity, you can't just stick a hard drive on it. That's half the point of buying physical. This kind of thing makes me not bother buying the games at all.
TBF this is one of the things that Nintendo has gotten right with the Switch. From what I've read, you can put a non-proprietary memory card of up to 2 TB, once they become available, in it. It won't be cheap, but at least it's possible.

Which makes it all the more perplexing and frustrating that so many games are half cart, half download. The reason people buy physical handheld games over digital is to save space or to have a future proof copy, and both of those things get thrown out the window here.

Which makes it all the more perplexing and frustrating that so many games are half cart, half download. The reason people buy physical handheld games over digital is to save space or to have a future proof copy, and both of those things get thrown out the window here.
Their reasoning is probably that since memory is relatively cheap and easily upgradeable on the Switch, people would be more OK with half-cart half-download games than they would be with more expensive cartridges. Given, of course, that a lower profit margin with higher cartridge manufacturing costs isn't an acceptable option to them.

For the record, I'm in agreement with you, not them, on this one.

Yep physical is becoming more and more of an illusion every day. I really hate it too.

I buy everything physically, including 4K UHD movies, and especially all (non-PC) video games.

It's less about the design of the controller and more about the timing. Although people certainly played Smash Bros competitively on the N64, it became a much bigger thing with Melee. So the controller they logged all that time and muscle memory to was the GC one. When Brawl came out with several possible controller options, people wanted to keep using the controller that they were familiar with instead.

It'd be like if every Tekken or Street Fighter game came out with a different button layout, but gave players the option to use the "traditional" one.

Surprisingly Shining Starnova released just about everywhere except Steam (boo!). I thought it was published by Sekai Project, but it's on Mangagamer and GOG as well. $29.99 regular edition and $45.00 for the edition with the OST and vocal soundtrack. I'll pick it up on Denpasoft since I haven't gotten that zombie game I mentioned a week or so ago.

VNDB (NSFW)

Mangagamer (NSFW)

Denpasoft (NSFW)

GOG

The last Gust game to hit $30 on Switch sold out pretty quickly. Usually the PS4 copies get down to $20 but I'm not sure with this one. I already have PS4 digital plus Season Pass thanks to those MLB and Detroit 20% off coupons that just happened to come out at launch.

The $80 Season Pass features two $10 characters a $10 map DLC, and two $12 map DLCs and $8 of extra item recipes. There's also $18 of costumes and $10 of music they separated from the two most recent Gust games. I'm probably forgetting something else but you end up saving money if you want everything.

Also, the two costumes on the Best Buy page were preorder bonuses that are no longer available. The PS4 version has an Everybody's Golf (Hotshots Golf) DLC pack if you want the two main girls in something more covering.

The last Gust game to hit $30 on Switch sold out pretty quickly. Usually the PS4 copies get down to $20 but I'm not sure with this one. I already have PS4 digital plus Season Pass thanks to those MLB and Detroit 20% off coupons that just happened to come out at launch.

The $80 Season Pass features two $10 characters a $10 map DLC, and two $12 map DLCs and $8 of extra item recipes. There's also $18 of costumes and $10 of music they separated from the two most recent Gust games. I'm probably forgetting something else but you end up saving money if you want everything.

Also, the two costumes on the Best Buy page were preorder bonuses that are no longer available. The PS4 version has an Everybody's Golf (Hotshots Golf) DLC pack if you want the two main girls in something more covering.
So there's no way to get that pre-order bonus anymore?

I'd be more interested in the dating Sim elements being incorporated into the atelier gameplay {like persona} rather than strictly a VN.

Kinda funny how they say they were "Proud" of DmC but went and said "Devil May Cry is Back!!!" when they announced DMC 5, which heavily implies they did not think highly of it at all...

Anyways, I enjoyed DmC so it's good to see that it is being used to make DMC 5 the best it can be.
Or maybe they're just saying that to tell us that an actual numbered sequel is coming.

Personally not a fan of dating sims, unless they are elements thrown into an RPG or something like that. Like Agarest War, the dating sims elements were more just interacting with characters, rather than directly trying to get into a relationship with them by buying presents or remembering shit about them.

Not sure if it’s been posted yet, but there’s a couple of new nice free themes on the JP PSN store... Arcade Archives 4th Anniversary dynamic theme, and a new Senran Kagura PBS static theme.

My 10-year-old son is still waiting for Namco/Bandai to bring the Little Witch Academia avatars to US PSN. Sucks they’re tied to the account.

Not sure if it’s been posted yet, but there’s a couple of new nice free themes on the JP PSN store... Arcade Archives 4th Anniversary dynamic theme, and a new Senran Kagura PBS static theme.
For those wondering what they are:

Generic Free JP PS4 Theme List: https://store.playstation.com/ja-jp/grid/PN.CH.JP-PN.CH.MIXED.JP-THEMES/1?direction=desc&platform=ps4&price=0-0&sort=release_date

Arcade Archives 4th Anniversary Theme

Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash - Venus Sunshine Original Theme

Phantasy Star Online 2 - 6th Anniversary Illustration Theme

Death End re;Quest - 'Another' Theme

Mary Skelter 2: Goddess Tower - Original Theme

Fate/EXTELLA LINK - 'My Room' Special Theme

Fallen Legion - Theme

^ Those are the latest free themes since I last linked a bunch of free JP themes. The link above them should take you to the list of free JP PS4 themes if you wish to browse or look for older ones. You must be signed into your Japanese PSN account for the links to work. Also since Vita doesn't allow multiple accounts per card, you can't use them on your NA PSN Account in case this is your first time doing this.

And of course there's still the premium Hooters x Senran Kagura parody theme that's on the NA PSN.

EDIT: Fixed some spelling mistakes.

Funny to see this when they delayed Rabi Ribi from LRG's release schedule. AGAIN
From the article: "We are also preparing some cool stuff for the Rabi-Ribi physical that Limited Run Games will be putting out in the coming months."

The biggest surprise will be if they actually deliver on the game.

This list was brought to you by someone who is only half there this time around, so feel free to bring up any errors or missing titles.

Other stuff that released without warning last week or I overlooked it (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- NEKOPARA Extra (Visual Novel)
- My Russian Trip (Visual Novel)
- Guilty Summer Kiss 2 - Bloody Secret (Visual Novel)

Weekly Releases (July 29th - August 4th)

WarioWare Gold
- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: Mini-Game Collection
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A

Chasm
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita, PC
- Genre: Metroidvania
- Comments: Kickstarter game.

South Park: The Fractured But Whole - Bring the Crunch (DLC)
- Platform(s): PS4, Switch, XB1, PC
- Genre: RPG

Touhou Sky Arena: Matsuri Climax
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Action / Versus
- Online: Yes.
- Comments: Digital only.

Code of Princess EX
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: Beat'em Up
- Online: Yes.
- Comments: Previously released on the 3DS & PC.

Iconoclasts
- Comments: Previously released on PS4, Vita & PC.

Salt and Sanctuary

Super Dungeon Tactics
- Platform(s): XB1
- Genre: SRPG
- Comments: Previously released on PS4 & PC.

Dungeon Girl
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Puzzle RPG

La-Mulana 2
- Comments: AGM Playism published.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice VR Edition
- Genre: Adventure / Action
- Comments: Free to owners of Hellblade. No PS4 VR edition coming.

Yakuza 0
- Genre: Brawler / Action RPG
- Comments: Previously released on PS4. Contains Denuvo.

King of Phoenix
- Genre: Visual Novel

Majin Woman
- Genre: SHMUP? / Action
- Comments: DLSite published.

Anicon - Animal Complex - Sheep's Path