Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
In the producer's opinion he's a virgin, but yeah I find that unlikely haha

Towards the end of Yakuza 6 someone tells Kiryu "I never thought the day would come that the Dragon of Dojima killed a man" which implies he's squeaky clean up to that point, but I'm skeptical too... I think he just cut that dude in half
giphy.gif
mg4Cr.gif

I mean don't forget chapter 9 in Kiwami (and I assume the original release), you are just gunning people down. Some of them there are just no chance of survival.

Simon Belmont looks like they pulled him straight off the old NES/SNES boxart.

Thank god, for years the poor guy has been stuck some of the worst redesigns I've ever seen.

Just got an e-mail from SE that my card is going to be charged soon and DQ11 CE is shipping soon.  So fucking hyped for this game I can't even wait.  Really excited for the collector's edition too. Steelbook + soundtrack + hardcover compendium + cloth map + lanyard.  It's the perfect collector's edition imho.  I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about this one.  

Just got an e-mail from SE that my card is going to be charged soon and DQ11 CE is shipping soon. So fucking hyped for this game I can't even wait. Really excited for the collector's edition too. Steelbook + soundtrack + hardcover compendium + cloth map + lanyard. It's the perfect collector's edition imho. I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about this one.
It's a bit overpriced, and all the DQ CEs on the SE store go to the bargain bin inevitably in 1 year or less.

Just got an e-mail from SE that my card is going to be charged soon and DQ11 CE is shipping soon. So fucking hyped for this game I can't even wait. Really excited for the collector's edition too. Steelbook + soundtrack + hardcover compendium + cloth map + lanyard. It's the perfect collector's edition imho. I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about this one.
September/August are packed with releases, but I've been waiting for this for a long time. One of my most anticipated releases of the year. Super excited for it personally.

Not worth $150

It's a bit overpriced, and all the DQ CEs on the SE store go to the bargain bin inevitably in 1 year or less.
Not worth $150
That's too bad. I honestly think this one is a huge improvement over all the Final Fantasy and DS DQ CEs from the last several years. I've also been skipping all the whatever NISA and Iffy CEs and just focusing on the ones that matter most to me. TBH, it feels like CE buying on the whole has decreased dramatically in here over the last 3 years. This thread used to be all JP CE talk. But I think almost everyone became overwhelmed with all the subpar games and slowed down their CE buying.

I've just been buying the ones that truly matter to me: Octopath Traveler Wayfarer's, Ni no Kuni King's Edition EU, and now DQ11, and I've been much happier for it.

I also think Dragon Quest 11 is going to get something like a 93-94 metacritic, everyone flocks to buy the CE, it sells out a few days after launch, and then a bunch of people freak out and say they wanted to buy one.

Some Overwatch news for the few people here who still play occasionally. Summer Games 2018 has gone live on all platforms and will continue until August 30th. The event game once again is Lucioball like the past two years. There is also ranked Lucioball.

[customspoiler='Summer Games 2018 Event Trailer']
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEvBBVyZM2o[/customspoiler]

Link to all the skins, highlights and emotes

Like usual, you can keep track of what you've earned here at this loot tracking site. It should be updated within the next 24 hours to include all of the new loot. Blizzards event site now also does this to a lesser extent as well, which was the link prior to the tracking site.

Patch Notes for the event (Gif form). Ana and Lucio get a buff to their ults. There are some other changes as well, but mostly fairly minor.

If you haven't played since the last event, a new hero, Wrecking Ball (Hammond), was added. You can view a quick rundown on the patch notes in gif form from when he was added as Sombra received some notable changes.

Finally, if you have Amazon Prime you can currently receive two Wrecking Ball loot boxes. September and October will each have a golden loot box as well, so you may want to keep that in mind.

ryh89Vx.gif

But P3P had the worst gameplay of any of the P3 versions.
Don't forget that it's the only version that allows you to have full control over your party in battles. That is a major, major boon for that version of the game.

Sure the DQ11 CE is a little overpriced at $150 plus shipping, but it actually has a lot of the items I look for in a CE.  They appear to be fairly high quality, and the game itself is looking great and right in my wheelhouse.  I'll be keeping my CE preorder intact.

CE's I won't be picking up because they appear to be way overpriced (to me) are the Spider-Man and Fallout 76 CEs.  I can probably throw the RE2 Gamestop-exclusive CE in this category as well.  I had the opportunity to preorder those several times and didn't.  Just way overpriced for what you are getting.  Only way I'll be picking them up is if they fall to a more reasonable price.

But P3P had the worst gameplay of any of the P3 versions.
You're thinking of fes and it's terrible extra mode.

p3p is the only version where you can actually control your party members just to start with so it makes the others inferior by default since they have garbage for ai. Especially mitsuru.

Don't forget that it's the only version that allows you to have full control over your party in battles. That is a major, major boon for that version of the game.
Skill cards, social links for all the party members instead of just the 3 girls in vanilla, femc, new social links replacing the horrible ones on mc's side like moon, lowered the chance of links reversing, getting sick/tired is less frequent, no forced crappy summer section on femc's side, more time to do s links ect. It's a long list of improvements.

The couple things it didn't carry over from p4 was s links removing party members weaknesses and other s link related battle mechanics. Oh and not fixing mind and power charges cost and multiplier. Sadly the bugged multiplier stayed the same for all 3 versions. And iirc they increased the sp cost so mindcharge was completely useless. Power charge at least had use in saving hp cost for attack skills.

I'm soooo hyped for DQ. :bouncy: The CE looks amazing. I'm usually not big into art books. I tend to avoid flipping through them when I first go through my CEs in fear of spoilers, and then promptly forget about them after I beat the game. I'm such a huge fan of everything dragon quest though, so I'm really looking forward to this one. I don't have much room for figures left, but I've been debating also grabbing the Play-Arts figure SE has up on their site.

Seriously, I've been talking nonstop about DQ for months now to anyone that will listen - and plenty that don't want to listen :cool: . Only part I'm bummed about is, I wish there was a nice CE guide coming out for it :cry:

Strange that the Persona Dancing Collection includes an artbook, but not a single soundtrack (not even a sampler).

Thought I'd feel buyers remorse for importing the Japanese CE, but since those came with the soundtracks (and the localized won't) I don't feel bad at all.

Price for the PS4 bundle is pretty decent though, $99.99 for P5D, P3D and even the PS4 version of P4D. Look forward to it.

I'd honestly consider spending a hundred bucks on the imported persona 3-5 soundtracks instead of getting these rhythm games.  I think I want those more. 

Ooooh, I want that system. I'm a sucker for see through systems! No word on how to order yet? I'm guessing it will be like the anniversary system they did with direct preorders. I wish it wasn't so limited, because I'll probably miss it :cry:
As someone who manage to get that 20th Anniversary PS4 it was a nightmare dealing with Sony's website and it was just constantly crashing the moment they went up for pre-order. I do want this one but I don't like the copper parts, the clear blue design is beautiful and seeing more of the blue light bar popping up is neat.

Missed it.

Anyone placed an order and dont want it? Ill take it
Don't worry they'll just cancel them all like they did the Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu / Eevee bundles because Amazon knows they can do it and not face any backlash, especially with GCU gone they have nothing to worry about, and then they will also slap everyone in the face by saying we can still get great legit deals and savings by getting Amazon Prime at a convenient low price of only $120 a year.

As someone who manage to get that 20th Anniversary PS4 it was a nightmare dealing with Sony's website and it was just constantly crashing the moment they went up for pre-order. I do want this one but I don't like the copper parts, the clear blue design is beautiful and seeing more of the blue light bar popping up is neat.
Yea, that's exactly what I'm worried about. I was on the last stage of check out with the 20th Anniversary one and had it ripped from my cart. I think that one only had something like 12k systems, and a lot of nostalgia. This one is 50k world wide. So, my chances should be tons better.

Hehe, yea I thought the same thing about the copper parts when I saw them. They are neat sounding on paper "Copped etched numbering!", but I'm not super nuts about how it actually looks. I wish they used something else that was either silver or black.

Yea, that's exactly what I'm worried about. I was on the last stage of check out with the 20th Anniversary one and had it ripped from my cart. I think that one only had something like 12k systems, and a lot of nostalgia. This one is 50k world wide. So, my chances should be tons better.

Hehe, yea I thought the same thing about the copper parts when I saw them. They are neat sounding on paper "Copped etched numbering!", but I'm not super nuts about how it actually looks. I wish they used something else that was either silver or black.
I doubt this is Sony store exclusive. In fact, it says they will be posting a list of participating retailers in the US and Canada.

Ooooh, I want that system. I'm a sucker for see through systems! No word on how to order yet? I'm guessing it will be like the anniversary system they did with direct preorders. I wish it wasn't so limited, because I'll probably miss it :cry:
Hmm when was the last time we had see through consoles and handhelds. n64 and gba?

Don't worry they'll just cancel them all like they did the Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu / Eevee bundles because Amazon knows they can do it and not face any backlash, especially with GCU gone they have nothing to worry about, and then they will also slap everyone in the face by saying we can still get great legit deals and savings by getting Amazon Prime at a convenient low price of only $120 a year.
A part of me wants to be a dick and hope it gets cancelled for everyone just so we can be all on the same playing field. lmao. :T

CrossCode is hitting version 1.0 on September 20th!

https://twitter.com/RadicalFishGame/status/1027577820124467201

Unfortunately as far as I'm aware it's still PC only. There were a few articles stating it was "running on a PS4" back in the last PAX East, but I haven't seen anything to substantiate it from the developer or publisher. Since it runs using HTML5 and Java, it would need some kind of wrapper or a port to an entirely different engine to bring it onto consoles. It's possible that it could come out on the PS4 at some point, but I'd be wary until I hear it from the developer as I searched for proof but never found any somewhat recently.

Steam Page

Official Site

You can find a demo of the game on the Steam page, which is a download. There's also a demo on the official site that runs directly in your browser as well. It's one of my most anticipated indie games this year and I recommend checking it out.

Since it was being talked about earlier, I decided to go for the Fate Extella Link LE on Amazon JP.  I ordered 3 days ago and received it already.

Not much into translucent consoles. I did like that purple one for a Gameboy Color a while back though.

Also been on vacation so my review of Hapymaher is still coming. I'm working on Sweet Switch right now, and will be done in a few hours, so I'll try to do that one too. I know some people like my VN reviews, so I'll get it out sometime hopefully in a week or so for both.

Since it was being talked about earlier, I decided to go for the Fate Extella Link LE on Amazon JP. I ordered 3 days ago and received it already.
Same, got mine yesterday and ordered on Monday. Just an FYI to folks, the MJ tile set are not regular full-sized tiles. They're between the normal ones and miniature sets in size and the pictures are printed on as opposed to etched into the tiles.

Kinda off-topic, but have any of you gotten Bullet Girls Phantasia from Play-Asia?

I was considering getting the game, and was wondering if anyone else had some thoughts on it.

The Limited Edition is also pretty tempting, but it looks like they are still expecting their stock to come in.

Kinda off-topic, but have any of you gotten Bullet Girls Phantasia from Play-Asia?

I was considering getting the game, and was wondering if anyone else had some thoughts on it.

The Limited Edition is also pretty tempting, but it looks like they are still expecting their stock to come in.
Mine just barely shipped, but when it comes in I'll play it an hour and give some thoughts. It just came out, so I'm not sure who got it yet.

bread's done
Back