Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Was looking through Best Buy's site and saw AI: The Somnium Files. Anyone even heard of this? I don't think I've ever seen it mentioned anywhere yet.
I've only head of it because the LE was initially listed at the wrong price ($59) for :ps4: on amazon months ago so I threw up a preorder in case I actually ended up wanting it. (Trending towards: no)

Switch is getting Dragon Quest 1-3 on the release day of DQ11S, in the west. Unfortunately, no physical.
Where did you read this or such? I haven't seen it confirmed on a site or tweet.

Edit: English Asia version of the 3 seems to be a go with a physical cartridge. Sign me up. Link

s6lq6mc7bvnbmvglz5go.jpg

There goes another $400 in a single purchase down the drain.

Amazon has listings for Trials of Mana at $49.99:

PS4: https://www.amazon.com/Trials-Mana-PlayStation-4/dp/B07X8Z27L7/

Switch: https://www.amazon.com/Trials-Mana-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B07XC3JQJM/

I doubt there was any cause to worry, but I'm glad we're getting physical versions of both.
Bull Moose still seems to be cheapest for Trials of Mana, at $37.97 shipped:

Trials of Mana - $37.97

https://www.bullmoose.com/p/30757089/nintendo-switch-trials-of-mana

They also have a couple other games much lower than Amazon:

Disney Tsum Tsum Festival - $37.97

https://www.bullmoose.com/p/29170205/nintendo-switch-disney-tsum-tsum-festival

Gun Gun Pixies - $45.97 ($59.99 at Amazon)

https://www.bullmoose.com/p/31486297/nintendo-switch-gun-gun-pixies

This thread certainly shoulders a lot of blame in contributing to my $55k collection. :*(

I blame all of you for being so damn helpful!

FYI on Gun Gun Pixies, the NA digital version is out on the 10th. They cited manufacturing delays as why it's not out until November(no doubt Zelda ALTTP then Pokemon Sword and Shield are taking up the production lines)

Where did you read this or such? I haven't seen it confirmed on a site or tweet.

Edit: English Asia version of the 3 seems to be a go with a physical cartridge. Sign me up. Link
Thannk you Lord! and nitrosmob :) My source was ANN. So if I wasn't accurate, that's just typical considering who it was from

Does anyone know if the Japanese release of Mary Skelter 2 for Switch has English? I can't find it for sure online.

Sent from my Razer Phone 2 using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if the Japanese release of Mary Skelter 2 for Switch has English? I can't find it for sure online.

I would doubt it. Typically Idea Factory doesn't do multi-language releases. However, considering the low sell through rate of the Japanese version (2,056 or <20% per Famitsu) you should see some deals pop up. The Asia version was released on the same day, however they actually had a translation from the PS4 version ready to go in that case.

I would doubt it. Typically Idea Factory doesn't do multi-language releases. However, considering the low sell through rate of the Japanese version (2,056 or <20% per Famitsu) you should see some deals pop up. The Asia version was released on the same day, however they actually had a translation from the PS4 version ready to go in that case.
So the Asian version has English? Playasia specifically mentions Chinese subs for it.

Asia versions get Korean and Chinese language. 

The English Switch version is being treated as a regular release by Idea Factory International so they're doing the full localization treatment including English voice overs. Japan and Asia are treating it as a port since there's no new content and the game has been out over a year. 

Asia versions get Korean and Chinese language.

The English Switch version is being treated as a regular release by Idea Factory International so they're doing the full localization treatment including English voice overs. Japan and Asia are treating it as a port since there's no new content and the game has been out over a year.
Got it. I guess physical is simply not happening for this one, then. That's a shame. :/

Rune-Factory-4-Special-Archival-Edition_09-09-19.jpg

https://gematsu.com/2019/09/rune-factory-4-special-archival-edition-announced-for-the-west

Rune Factory 4 Special “Archival Edition” is a beautifully crafted collection including an art book commemorating the work on the entire Rune Factory series by character designer Minako Iwasaki, as well as new illustrations for the premium box and art book cover by the artist. Full contents include:
  • Physical copy of Rune Factory 4 Special for Nintendo Switch
  • 160-page art book measuring 5.8” x 8.2” featuring the works of Minako Iwasaki from Rune Factory 1 through 4, Rune Factory: Frontier, and Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny
  • Official soundtrack CD consisting of 33 tracks from the original release, plus three new tracks
  • “Swimsuit Day” DLC that adds an option to have characters appear in their swimsuits
  • Premium custom box with original illustration by Minako Iwasaki
This looks like a great value--hopefully Best Buy will stock it for that sweet GCU discount.

I know this questions been answered, but I usually check the JP eshop and you should see a supported language. If there is an English option, it'll look like 英語.

Best Buy was a little late with the Senran Kagura Peach Ball listing but still got it up before launch. It should be the same case here.

I'll buy it even at full price since it's actually a very fair price. But I will wait for GCU.

And I only really played the first one and Oceans.

Meh not digging some of the redesigns there or renaming of characters.  I am glad they left a few the same like Welch and mavelle at least.  Probably the saddest part is they changed ranmas design ;_;

I can't wait for Rune Factory 4. That SE looks great! Since I don't have GCU anymore so I'll probably just order it directly through Xseed, and it looks like the SE qualifies for free shipping.

Meh not digging some of the redesigns there or renaming of characters. I am glad they left a few the same like Welch and mavelle at least. Probably the saddest part is they changed ranmas design ;_;
As much fun as First Departure was, Second Story is still my GOAT of SO.

Played the hell out of that game.

Meh not digging some of the redesigns there or renaming of characters. I am glad they left a few the same like Welch and mavelle at least. Probably the saddest part is they changed ranmas design ;_;
Yeah, not really doing it for me either. It's odd that they would redesign them while leaving the in-game sprites the same too.

Well, I just recently played this, so I won't be picking it up any time soon, if ever, but hopefully it does well enough for 2 to come out here. No reason to play the PSP version like 1 when there's a better version on the PS4 already out in Japan

Dragon Quest 1 - 3 physical for Switch (Asia, w/English) is available for preorder on play-asia...

https://www.play-asia.com/dragon-quest-123-collection-multi-language/13/70d0en

I'm hoping we get an NA version but may just go for this version since it'll be the same content anyway.
would rather hope to see an all physical version of megamans come west, the ps4 box set for jp is pretty neat but would rather get that released for the switch but the demand of nintendo to push codes instead of all on cart is a deterrent

Dragon Quest 1 - 3 physical for Switch (Asia, w/English) is available for preorder on play-asia...

https://www.play-asia.com/dragon-quest-123-collection-multi-language/13/70d0en

I'm hoping we get an NA version but may just go for this version since it'll be the same content anyway.
The cool thing about Asian English releases is it gives us an alternative to the stupidly expensive Square Enix store shipping fees (to Canada anyway) Also they don't tend to be very rare for the first few years so you can safely sleep on it for a bit, maybe even hope for it to be on sale @ play-asia.

would rather hope to see an all physical version of megamans come west, the ps4 box set for jp is pretty neat but would rather get that released for the switch but the demand of nintendo to push codes instead of all on cart is a deterrent
Do you mean this release?

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/CPCS-1160

I'm sure that the packaging will be in Japanese, but dollars to donuts the games will all support English.

yeah only saw a ps4 listing, tempted to get that but will want to make sure its still not half games on cart with download codes, should have eng support but no guarantee and the ps4 listing is showing rockman instead
I have the Japanese individual releases of X Collection part 1 and part 2, as I wasn't okay with the download nonsense for the NA release. You can choose between JP and English versions. And the X Collection Part 2 is on cart (again, the point of importing that individual release). So at the very least those will be. And, given their patterns, it's a safe bet that the classic collection will be too. I bet it won't sell out straight away, so you could definitely wait to make its what you're looking for.

Unfortunately the Saga games are not going to get a physical release according to the trailer. Maybe a asia release too?

I have the Japanese individual releases of X Collection part 1 and part 2, as I wasn't okay with the download nonsense for the NA release. You can choose between JP and English versions. And the X Collection Part 2 is on cart (again, the point of importing that individual release). So at the very least those will be. And, given their patterns, it's a safe bet that the classic collection will be too. I bet it won't sell out straight away, so you could definitely wait to make its what you're looking for.

well a general rule i have been following is double check switch releases and absolutely avoid pre ordering anything that comes out on ps4 as its getting censored across platforms by sony, or partially with male only dlc to avoid sony censors and the retro rerelease gettubg censored...sad that their are few game getting release without censorship, well sony actively retro censoring or discontiuning dlc is proof of one buy physical, two avoid preorders as its just test products for suckers and promotions for positive censorships

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=p3nAGW051Jw[/media]

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=oaROaoIIg4A[/media]

Sakura Wars

Just wanted to mention that Amazon has restocked Kotodama: 7 Mysteries of Fujisawa on PS4:  https://www.amazon.com/Kotodama-7-Mysteries-Fujisawa-PlayStation-4/dp/B07Q96PY9B/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=kotodama&qid=1568268363&rnid=2941120011&s=videogames&sr=1-1

But beware, because I've ordered it 3 times this week and all 3 times were PAL copies.  After the third time, I was told to keep it and they issued a credit for it.  Also was told they're having the department who looks into that to check their inventory for more PAL copies.  All 3 that I got just had stickers on the front with the title and a barcode, but still had the PAL barcode uncovered on the back.

bread's done
Back