Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.gematsu.com/2022/04/digimon-survive-launches-july-29-in-the-west

https://twitter.com/gematsu/status/1516796164057800705?s=20&t=CrexFTdTempMoUxJE0kbwQ

How unfortunate lol Best Buy canceled my old GCU pre-order of this game for no reason (I guess they thought the game was never coming and removed it from their site, just to add it back and tell me to order it again at full price), but with Xenoblade 3 coming the same day, I'm not so salty about that anymore. May wait for a sale to pick it up.

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/04/digimon-survive-launches-july-29-in-the-west

https://twitter.com/gematsu/status/1516796164057800705?s=20&t=CrexFTdTempMoUxJE0kbwQ

How unfortunate lol Best Buy canceled my old GCU pre-order of this game for no reason (I guess they thought the game was never coming and removed it from their site, just to add it back and tell me to order it again at full price), but with Xenoblade 3 coming the same day, I'm not so salty about that anymore. May wait for a sale to pick it up.
I preordered it during gamestops b3g2 last year so I'm set for that.

Gamestop had a Buy 3 Get 2 free sale on new games, and it included preorders? Man, I totally missed out on that!
Yup around may last year. There wasn't much that qualified/slipped through the cracks though. neo twewy, Ys 9, Disgaea 6, elden ring, pokemon pearl, pokemon diamond, pokemon arceus, scarlet nexus and digimon from what I recall. Oh and I think blue reflection 2.

Those are the best. Best Buy did a B2G1 I want to say almost 10 years ago now on games, but there was a website error that caused it to be B2G2. That was a big backlog injection at the time. That and my local Play N' Trade (now closed) was permanently running B2G1 on used games - later they clarified it didn't include the fancy, rare display case games but it worked on those too for a while!

-reminiscing music plays-

Does anyone happen to know which 3DS game cartridges are prone to failure?

I just opened my Puzzle and Dragons Z I got back in 2015 from the shrink wrap and apparently it's defective... Seems to be somewhat common, I at least found several other people having the same problem, but no fixes other than getting a different cartridge or buying it digitally. I tried calling Nintendo, which I knew was a long shot, and they said they didn't have any replacements.

Previously I heard of some PAL region Omega Ruby cartridges being defective, as well as Persona Q so now I'm wondering what else on my shelf that's still in the shrink wrap might be dead.

If you're curious what it's doing exactly: The 3DS recognizes it, it just crashes as soon as I start it (sometimes it makes it to the main menu for a few seconds first - happens on two 3DSes). Then is displays a message that an unknown error occured and to hold the power button and restart the system. Puzzle and Dragons specifically had a 2.0 update available, I tried with and without that installed.

I just opened my Puzzle and Dragons Z I got back in 2015 from the shrink wrap and apparently it's defective... Seems to be somewhat common, I at least found several other people having the same problem, but no fixes other than getting a different cartridge or buying it digitally. I tried calling Nintendo, which I knew was a long shot, and they said they didn't have any replacements.

Previously I heard of some PAL region Omega Ruby cartridges being defective, as well as Persona Q so now I'm wondering what else on my shelf that's still in the shrink wrap might be dead.

If you're curious what it's doing exactly: The 3DS recognizes it, it just crashes as soon as I start it (sometimes it makes it to the main menu for a few seconds first - happens on two 3DSes). Then is displays a message that an unknown error occured and to hold the power button and restart the system. Puzzle and Dragons specifically had a 2.0 update available, I tried with and without that installed.
Persona Q is the only one I know of off hand
Things I wish I didn't learn.........

I know I had a Vita card never able to read (Neptunia Rebirth 3), but no 3DS failures so far. Persona Q is the one to check for sure and Puzzle and Dragons too.

I own that one and never encountered that issue. But I also dropped it since I just got to a point where I couldn't seem to make any progress. That's unfortunate.

Like you mentioned persona q 1 is the only other game I know of with faulty carts.

I vaguely remember hearing about that for a Neptunia Vita game.

I'm glad to hear no other titles are coming to mind, thanks for entertaining the off-topic question. So far everything else that I've tried since then has been fine, including Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire.

I don't have Persona Q anymore, but I played a physical copy with no problems back at launch as well. Guessing I just got really unlucky with Puzzle and Dragons.

I know I had a Vita card never able to read (Neptunia Rebirth 3), but no 3DS failures so far. Persona Q is the one to check for sure and Puzzle and Dragons too.
wasn't it all 3 neptune titles that had faulty carts for the vita? or at least that's what I remember reading. I also recall the ce's being crazy money for a short period with one of them i think around 400$ online.

wasn't it all 3 neptune titles that had faulty carts for the vita? or at least that's what I remember reading. I also recall the ce's being crazy money for a short period with one of them i think around 400$ online.
Yeah the 1st had a very limited supply for the LE. Those were the good old days when LRG was doing stuff like Breach & Clear and Saturday Morning RPG. I still have those in a box somewhere.

No, it was just certain first printings of the third one on Vita that had faulty carts. You would know if you had a faulty cart because the Vita won't recognize it at all when you insert it. Actual working complete copies of it are rare and valuable now because most people just ended up returning it and buying it digitally or importing the PEGI version to guarantee a working cart.
Didn't know those were that hard to come by. That one is my favorite in the series, and I got the platinum so my cart thankfully seems to work okay.

It's good to know there are some older games you probably don't want to buy secondhand still sealed if you intend to open it and play it, though.

So in case anyone missed it target circle has 30% off on video games + extra 5% + 5% target red card + x off y amount coupons. Ymmv good luck. I know it works on trails from zero ps4 and switch. Couldn't find azure so I'd assume it's not up for preorder yet via them. I also got a 1$ off with no rush shipping coupon.

Blue Reflection: Second Light is down to $29.99 at both GameStop and Amazon for both PS4 and Switch

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Reflection-Second-Light-PlayStation-4/dp/B09BGGY73X

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/playstation-4/products/blue-reflection-second-light---playstation-4/306627.html

Gamestop's search is showing it as $24.99, but $29.99 when I actually click on it. Not sure what that's about.
Ugh... bought this at MSRP, didn't think it would be around this long to drop in price.

So in case anyone missed it target circle has 30% off on video games + extra 5% + 5% target red card + x off y amount coupons. Ymmv good luck. I know it works on trails from zero ps4 and switch. Couldn't find azure so I'd assume it's not up for preorder yet via them. I also got a 1$ off with no rush shipping coupon.
Thanks for the heads up on this, was able to make use of several discounts.

Chaos; Head Noah/Chaos; Child Double Pack - Nintendo Switch - 30% off + 5% Redcard + 5% Extra Redcard
Pikmin 3: Deluxe - Nintendo Switch- 30% off + 5% Redcard + 5% Extra Redcard
Made in Abyss: Binary Star Falling into Darkness Collector's Edition - PlayStation 4- 30% off + 5% Redcard + 5% Extra Redcard
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA - Deluxe Edition - PlayStation 5- 30% off + 5% Redcard + 5% Extra Redcard
AI: The Somnium Files nirvanA Initiative Collector's Edition - PlayStation 4 - 5% Redcard + 5% Extra Redcard (I added this to the cart to see if it got the 30%, it didn't, but it did trigger a $10 off $70 purchase offer)

I may have gotten a $10 or so Best Buy gift card out of the pre-order, and at best paired that with 10% off or extra rewards card, but I got it at launch as well.

I go back and forth between the two mindsets.. 1. Buy what I want when I want to play it, regardless of cost and probably save money in the long run despite some losses here and there.

2. Buy things on sale or that seem like they'll be hard to get. Results in more things than I have time to play, but I don't have to worry about rising prices. You do get screwed frequently by better sales, and enhanced editions/re-releases.

Since I can't commit to one I seem to bounce between both periodically and usually just end up getting screwed both ways lol

When something like the playstation 3/Vita store or 3DS store shutdowns are looming I can't decide which is better either. "Oh good, I already have a lot of stuff - good thing since stuff is shutting down and subscriptions are getting more popular" vs "god managing all this stuff I haven't even had time to play yet is a huge pain (backups, downloads, final last-minute purchases etc)"

I think realistically if you consider that angle too, just buying what you want when you want it is perhaps better. It's harder to do though, buying games is itself enjoyable too. If you enjoy the management of the collection and data, storage and displaying, etc - that's different, that's time spent on a hobby (sometimes I do, but most of the time I just want to be able to play a game and get frustrated when something isn't available anymore). Rationally I'd be better off not buying until I wanted to play, it would be a gamble on price, offset by not regularly spending constantly on deals- and if something weren't available, it's not like I have time to play everything I'm interested in anyway, I could just pick something else.

The thought is nice, but I'm unlikely to actually change and just be stuck floating between the two depending on mood. So just accepting who I am, moving on, and playing some games is a valid answer too..

I sold off a ton of things over the past few years, many of which I never played. I only regret a couple, I think.. I had a modded Neo Geo Pocket Color with a frontlight and a lot of cool games. Evolution and Cotton in English, Gals Fighters, etc. Most of those have been rereleased now, except evolution - and I can emulate it instead but I really love that clicky joystick. lol

Most of the other physical stuff I got ride of was older, batteries were dying and it's an easy fix but I was also worried a little about disc rot hitting something expensive like a Saturn game and sold those off too.

Buying a game and being excited to play it (and actually doing it) is a simple joy. No one is depriving me of it except myself lol, but I still just grab stuff cheap and toss it on a shelf. :p

I played the demo for Blue Reflection: Second Light, but still haven't played the game itself I bought at release

Thanks for the heads up on this, was able to make use of several discounts.

Chaos; Head Noah/Chaos; Child Double Pack - Nintendo Switch - 30% off + 5% Redcard + 5% Extra Redcard
Pikmin 3: Deluxe - Nintendo Switch- 30% off + 5% Redcard + 5% Extra Redcard
Made in Abyss: Binary Star Falling into Darkness Collector's Edition - PlayStation 4- 30% off + 5% Redcard + 5% Extra Redcard
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA - Deluxe Edition - PlayStation 5- 30% off + 5% Redcard + 5% Extra Redcard
AI: The Somnium Files nirvanA Initiative Collector's Edition - PlayStation 4 - 5% Redcard + 5% Extra Redcard (I added this to the cart to see if it got the 30%, it didn't, but it did trigger a $10 off $70 purchase offer)
I'd be cautious with Ai and Chaos as I've heard tons of people getting preorders like that canceled weeks after release.

Blue Reflection: Second Light is down to $29.99 at both GameStop and Amazon for both PS4 and Switch

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Reflection-Second-Light-PlayStation-4/dp/B09BGGY73X

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/playstation-4/products/blue-reflection-second-light---playstation-4/306627.html

Gamestop's search is showing it as $24.99, but $29.99 when I actually click on it. Not sure what that's about.
Did you use your $5 monthly coupon yet? Sometimes Gamestop likes to apply that to listings for you just for confusion's sake.

Did you use your $5 monthly coupon yet? Sometimes Gamestop likes to apply that to listings for you just for confusion's sake.
I have used it, and yeah I've noticed they do that. It's pretty annoying, I added a bunch of things to my cart once and then found out they all cost $5 more than I thought :p

It isn't doing it anymore, their website in general is kind of buggy for me lately.

Thanks for the Target warnings. I haven't had anything cancelled in my past orders, but I went ahead and put in a backup order for AI Somnium with Gamestop since it looks like that one is becoming hard to get.

I have used it, and yeah I've noticed they do that. It's pretty annoying, I added a bunch of things to my cart once and then found out they all cost $5 more than I thought :p

It isn't doing it anymore, their website in general is kind of buggy for me lately.
gamestops website is a dumpsterfire held together with bubblegum and ducttape. It's a wonder any of their promos work half the time. But occasionally some accidental good deals are found so it is what it is. Speaking of deals they have the caligula effect 2 for ps4 for 19.99. Hopefully my copy comes new and not "new".

Someone on here complained about getting their Horizon pre-order cancelled.
I pre-ordered the PS4 version of Horizon Forbidden West special edition at Target back in September (I had the 40% off video games Circle coupon) and come release (February), it was delayed and the SE showed OOS. For the next like month, I got a delay email every Friday pushing it back a week, and I just knew it wasn't coming. Miraculously, Gamestop got more copies in and I was able to snag one (albeit full price, but at least I got it). I canceled the Target order right after because, even though I was curious to see how long it would be delayed, Target just loves to pre-auth my card every other week until the game launches (and due to the multiple delays, they kept pre-authing), which is absolute horseshit.

So yeah, on top of Target being really unreliable for fulfilling pre-orders, they also have a tendency to tie money up on your credit card multiple times until release. That order in September also included Blue Reflection 2 (40% off so I'm cool with it being on sale right now lol) and The Cruel King and the Great Hero Storybook Edition, so even with the discount, when all 3 of those games were still not out yet, you can imagine how annoying it was to have all that money just snatched for a week. They also did it to me years ago with Bravely Second's SE, the Jigglypuff amiibo, and, more recently, Metroid Dread SE and amiibo. It's a nightmare. So now, Target is my absolute last choice for pre-orders, unless of course it's a limited item I can't get elsewhere. Even their crazy Circle coupons are a hard sell for me. Not worth all the headaches and potentially missing something I want.

As for buying niche games full price vs waiting for a sale, I usually pre-order stuff I'm interested in to make sure I don't miss it, since games like the ones we talk about here often have low print runs. I don't sweat it if it goes on sale soon after. I save money where I can (I've got my "wait for a sale" games), but I don't stress if I bought something "too early." I've long accepted that my backlog is just straight-up insurmountable, so I'm just calling myself a collector at this point lol and yeah, like cagnewbies said, I think it's important to send the message to publishers that we want these kinds of games (preferably physically) and they'll be profitable in the west. I pre-ordered Live A Live to let Squeenix know that yes, smaller games do well, too. Not every game you release needs to be a FFVIIR or a Stranger of Paradise or whatever the hell Forspoken is. Games like Trials of Mana and The World Ends with You are great, too (even better IMHO).

That is true for our specific genre most titles typically get smaller prints and few if any reprints.  Gamestop stealth reprints aside of course for the expensive games that they sell as used because they are a shady company. 

For me if it's a game I really want and intend to play right away I buy it.  Though obviously I try to use any type of discount I can get or fall back on using my cards rewards points worst case scenario. 

Anyone else like me really want to get those NIS Classics Limited Editions but not want to drop that kind of scratch to get them?

That's what has kept me from buying the retail regular and deluxe editions.  Mmmm such a congruent set...

Anyone else like me really want to get those NIS Classics Limited Editions but not want to drop that kind of scratch to get them?

That's what has kept me from buying the retail regular and deluxe editions. Mmmm such a congruent set...
I got the first limited edition because it had Phantom Brave, which I loved as a teenager. I got the third one for La Pucelle, same deal as PB. So then I said to myself, "Well hold up, if I have limited editions of 1 and 3, it'll look weird without 2...well, I never did play Makai Kingdom..."

I got the email last week from NISA that I was charged for Prinny Presents Volume 2 LE and it will be shipping soon...I have a problem XD

I got the first limited edition because it had Phantom Brave, which I loved as a teenager. I got the third one for La Pucelle, same deal as PB. So then I said to myself, "Well hold up, if I have limited editions of 1 and 3, it'll look weird without 2...well, I never did play Makai Kingdom..."

I got the email last week from NISA that I was charged for Prinny Presents Volume 2 LE and it will be shipping soon...I have a problem XD
The $39.99 and below pricing on the deluxe editions is what has kept me from springing for the LE's. The value isn't there and the sets don't seem great. But I still want them. :bouncy:

I thought this decision would have made itself by now but the months keep going by and Vol. 1 is still available. I feel like these matching sets are going to be much more highly desired once they are no longer available. I think you made a smart move.

The outer boxes are paper, and not hard/chipboard boxes, right?

The $39.99 and below pricing on the deluxe editions is what has kept me from springing for the LE's. The value isn't there and the sets don't seem great. But I still want them. :bouncy:

I thought this decision would have made itself by now but the months keep going by and Vol. 1 is still available. I feel like these matching sets are going to be more highly desired once they are no longer available. I think you made a smart move.

The outer boxes are paper, and not hard/chipboard boxes, right?
Yeah, the prices for the LE are a little high, but I just couldn't resist them lol

The box for Volume 1 is very sturdy, I'm thinking it's cardboard but very thick and hefty.

299crGL.jpg

fCOmy2q.jpg

2YvnRAI.jpg

I have vol. 1 of the deluxe and ordered vol. 3 once it went up on BB. Hopefully the 2nd drops to $40 like the 1st before it sells out since I'd be getting it more for a "complete set" then the content. The LEs look nice, but wasn't worth the extra cost for me this time.

Picked up Blue Reflection 2nd since it probably won't go much lower. The prices for a sealed copy of the first game are crazy btw! Glad I never opened it lol

I have vol. 1 of the deluxe and ordered vol. 3 once it went up on BB. Hopefully the 2nd drops to $40 like the 1st before it sells out since I'd be getting it more for a "complete set" then the content. The LEs look nice, but wasn't worth the extra cost for me this time.

Picked up Blue Reflection 2nd since it probably won't go much lower. The prices for a sealed copy of the first game are crazy btw! Glad I never opened it lol
yes which is why i'm surprised they didn't port it and gamestop didn't stealth reprint it.

Honestly surprised the first hasn't been reprinted yet.

https://twitter.com/shiravune/status/1518756989895311360?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1518756989895311360%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

New Utawarerumono game.  NISA or someone else should be releasing it on Playstation

https://twitter.com/shiravune/status/1518756989895311360?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1518756989895311360%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

New Utawarerumono game. NISA or someone else should be releasing it on Playstation
Fingers crossed. I'm playing through the third Utawarerumono game now and the series is great, but I have a hard time with PC games.

Woof I don't know if I can stomach playing a prequel to mask of deception and Truth knowing what happened in those games. It will be interesting to find out what happened to oshtors father though. Mikazuchi and his brother having a younger sister was never mentioned.
Oh and this should have dekopompos father in it then as well.

The pillars will probably be somewhat different given that the one lady wouldn't be one yet back then and most of the dad's would still be (atuy, dekopompo, rulutieh, nosuri) due to their age. Raiko probably wouldn't be one yet either. No idea on the remaining woshis and varai.

I was scrolling through the recent PS sale and noticed a few costumes/bonus items free for the Trails of Cold Steel games buried within normal priced items. There's about 4-5 costume packs and 4-5 item packs for free for anyone, and I think I saw 1 or 2 that are free for PS plus. 

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/search/legend%20of%20heroes/1 

Prob a better question for the PS store thread but any of you guys know how DLC/add-ons you get but don't have the games for yet? Like I know I can get it now but for when I get the game/install it, does it get downloaded automatically or do I need to find it again and then download it? 

good looking out.  I didn't own the swimsuits or the lloyd costume. As for how dlc works until you install the game and start it I don't believe the dlc downloads. Until then it just sits in your que.  that's how it works on the ps4 anyway. no idea on the ps5. ps3 and the other systems always downloaded whether or not you owned the game and had it installed. 

Mangagamer is releasing Uchikano - Living With My Sister tomorrow and has a pre-order discount of 10% off I believe. Looks like a cute nukige.

Mangagamer (NSFW)

Frontwing released Hatsumira -from the future undying- on Steam. This one is from the Grisaia developers and has a person being transported to a fantasy land. Looks like a lot of fun. 10% launch discount.

Steam (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

Prob a better question for the PS store thread but any of you guys know how DLC/add-ons you get but don't have the games for yet? Like I know I can get it now but for when I get the game/install it, does it get downloaded automatically or do I need to find it again and then download it?
I think you'll need to find and download it... on ps3 you can download dlc for games you don't own and it would just be there waiting. Same for switch and with switch it'll put the game icon on the screen as if you own the actual game.

good looking out. I didn't own the swimsuits or the lloyd costume. As for how dlc works until you install the game and start it I don't believe the dlc downloads. Until then it just sits in your que. that's how it works on the ps4 anyway. no idea on the ps5. ps3 and the other systems always downloaded whether or not you owned the game and had it installed.
I think you'll need to find and download it... on ps3 you can download dlc for games you don't own and it would just be there waiting. Same for switch and with switch it'll put the game icon on the screen as if you own the actual game.
Bleh... that sucks.

bread's done
Back