Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll go ahead and play Demon Gaze again on the Switch (were I own it digitally) and see if I'm interested in it for Gamestop or whatever. I can give new impressions but back when I played it on Vita I remember feeling like a speedrunner because I blazed through the game and had next to no difficulties with it. Seems to have been a game designed to be someone's first first person dungeon crawler. I will see though.

February truly is the month of Japanese games lol.

It's cyclical every year now how Feb. is nuts with sales, and some big new releases. Digital sales and physical clearance directly following the retail Christmas hangover, after people have paid their January bills.

Sonic-Origins-1.jpg

Didn't find anything at the single GS I stopped at yesterday. But I did over at Target, and got them to price match a pristine copy of Sonic to GS.com, and they had Sora as well. That was a very satisfying shopping trip! 😀 He even mistakenly marked the game at $14.99.

I tried to do a cart at GS.com but ended up loading it up with $100 of stuff I didn't really need and that just wasn't working out for me... Gonna hit a couple GS later today instead if I have time, while getting my steps in.

Aside from Rune Factory 3 (which I got on Amazon), I've avoided the Gamestop sale because I just have way too many games to play. Also, everything on sale is only available for shipping for me and I already know none of the locations around me are going to have these games in stock. Considering we've got Rebirth coming in a few days and I've got Persona 3 Reload on the shortlist, my schedule is packed. February is basically Japan's Broketober.

Yeah most of my Gamestops (have a decent amount around) are not niche paradises and usually niche games get a copy or two in the whole city. I doubt I would be able to return it locally, as was the case last time I did a sale and got a "New" used case and I just took the hit as a lesson.

Since the gs website only shows store inventory if the actual inventory is 2 or more, the best way to find something from a local store is just to find a decent gs employee and have them print you a list on receipt paper of the nearby stores. "Low stock" means at least 1 techincally in the store's inventory. If they can't look up the game properly, just give them the sku number which you can extract from the url of the item page.

Also some of the low new>preowned conversion prices from last week were reverted back up today, so just a warning before anyone hunts this week.

Just recently the Rune Factory 3 LE sold out on gs.com and consequently doubled in price on amazon. Glad I was able to get that order in yesterday.

Some of these sale prices were pretty solid but I just am not dealing with Gamestop. Which is good as I don't really need anything I was looking at.

Loop 8 (Switch) was also $15. Figured that was a pretty good price for it, but just not going to bother trying to track down a copy.

With how low print games are going, it's either grab them now or hope for a VGP reprint.

Or hope they're not popular and the aftermarket stays low. But that's rare for NIS and similar games.

It's riskier to play the waiting game these last few years. If you're not going to play it now, worst case is you can sell it off later for what you paid for it. Otherwise, hope VGP does a reprint and you're paying full market price.

Yeah stuff from NISA, AKSYS, XSEED, PQube, Iffy, whatever other niche companies don't get many physical copies made anymore. Atlus (also Sega) and S-E stuff can be niche content wise, but have so many copies out there that stuff goes cheap and usually has plenty of supply. I don't take chances with some visual novel games, niche strategy type games, games like Shiren (just heck yes on this I'm playing this over the new FF!), dungeon crawlers, etc... There are so many games now though that I can't support them all and I still wait for games to go cheaper, even if most have one sale and then disappear until they're reprinted.

If you really want it, Amazon matched the 14.99 price. https://www.amazon.com/Loop8-Summer-of-Gods/dp/B0BHM3JZ1P

I don't have prime so I'd need to bundle something else in there to get over the $35 minimum. Not a big deal, but I don't have time to see if there's anything I'd want to get right now.

Feedback here was not kind to Loop8. Going to hold out for $8.
(The LE is still on woot at $20.)

Oh, I've gone through a lot of the feedback here, watched reviews, and caught most of the complains were around the need to repeat conversations over and over with each loop. Which could be a bit of a pain, though the game is only around 15 hours to finish everything possible... so it might not bother me as much paying so little and not being a day 1 purchaser. I can imagine those early purchasers that paid full price would not be happy.

Same issue with Woot... no Prime... after shipping and tax we are nearly to $30 for the LE. Not terrible, though I don't typically buy LE's.

The PS4 versions will likely be the desired ones, since they work on two systems.
I've been thinking about this for YEARS. and it's paralyzed me with many buying decisions. It's still really hard to quantify to this day.

with Switch too. I've often found the best solution for me personally is to wait until it hits $20 and buy both versions when it comes to seminal jrpgs and core titles. $60 game decreases to $20 clearance / OOP then just buy both Switch and PS, without overthinking it. Like with Persona games.

But now I mostly buy everything on PS5 whenever there's a choice.

I wonder what happens to these two disc designations, their compatibility and version install options, when we move to PS6. (don't say "there won't be disc drives".)

Did they fix the crashing bug in Reverie on ps4?
I had maybe 2-3 total application crashes on PS4 when I played that version near release. None that I recall on my ps5 playthrough a few months ago. Wasn't a huge deal though.

What is a huge deal are numerous errors made by nisa localization that were never fixed. Pretty inexcusable that they never fixed them in an update (they did push out a patch for a broken gameplay mechanic). Guess it's dead in the water and they moved on to Daybreak.

Very frustrating when an item/quartz description, mission completion details, or a vantage masters card straight up says the completely wrong thing.

Last edited:
Got my Persona 3 Reload stickers from the newsletter offer in the mail today. I completely forgot about these, so it was a pleasant surprise.
20240226_213008.jpg
Just like the Tactica patch, these were sent in a plain white envelope with no protection, though since they're flat, they have a much better chance of surviving the sorting machine. Mine at least weren't bent at all. Oh, and the envelope actually had my name on it this time! I guess I can no longer call myself P5T Iron-on Patch. Twas a good run.

The PS4 versions will likely be the desired ones, since they work on two systems.
I have two consoles and one TV. If my wife and I both want to play something, buying PS4 discs allows us to use both consoles, one with remote play. So PS4 discs end up being the better choice - allows us to mix and match consoles and games. Plus most PS4 discs allow you to upgrade to the PS5 version if one exists (usually for free), so if it is something where graphics are important/impressive we can always just delegate that one to the PS5 and upgrade.

I think FFVII Rebirth and Baldur's Gate 3 (if that disc ever ships from Larian) might be the first time we're both trying to play a PS5-exclusive game. Considering we've made it into the fourth year of the console's lifecycle I'm pretty content with the setup we've got.

OMG Does the Rebirth physical Deluxe Edition really not include Integrade???

I see that you get FF7R and Integrade for free when you pre-order either the Rebirth digital Twin Pack or Twin Pack Digital Deluxe before launch. The "twin pack" essentially gives you the previous game for free. https://ffvii.square-enix-games.com/en-us/games/rebirth/buy

So I will have bought two physical Deluxe versions of FF7R and I will be the only one who doesn't own Intergrade LMFAO. 😆

Editions: https://ffvii.square-enix-games.com/en-us/games/rebirth/buy

Unlock bonuses: https://www.square-enix-games.com/en_EU/news/final-fantasy-vii-rebirth-preorders

What’s more, if you have a save file from FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE, FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE INTERGRADE or FF7R EPISODE INTERmission, you will be able to claim the following items in FINAL FANTASY REBIRTH:

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE (PS4 / PS5) save file

• Summon Materia: Leviathan
FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE EPISODE INTERmission save file

• Summon Materia: Ramuh
Please note that save data must be saved on the PS5 system.

So it looks like you just need a save file from the Demo too, in order to get the bonus. Good for those of us who are running late this week.

I didn't know that. I was scurrying to finish.

Demo bonuses for the full game​

If you have save data from the demo on your PS5, you’ll be able to claim some awesome items when you play the full game:

• Kupo charm: An accessory that increases the number of resource items extracted at a set rate.
  • Survival set: A selection of items to aid on your adventure, such as potions and ethers.

I don't have intergrade yet either. As an owner of vanilla deluxe, I was not thrilled to see the the whole package on sale for $16 and the dlc holding at $15. A consequence of SE's decision to make the base game free on ps+. I never do this but I'm probably just going to youtube the intergrade story between now and rebirth release.

On the positive, this is a nice touch from SE.

So I will have bought two physical Deluxe versions of FF7R and I will be the only one who doesn't own Intergrade LMFAO. 😆
I regret not getting the PS5 physical version of Remake Intergrade, since it's going for stupid prices now. Plus, I really wanted that steelbook, but I was cheap and passed on it since the Intermission DLC was said to be so short and I had already gotten the deluxe edition of the game on PS4. When I replayed Remake last year, I just bit the bullet and bought Intermission so I could play everything on PS5 (and wow is Remake on PS5 fantastic). At least I'm far from the only one who passed on it.

Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance will get steelbook at launch
fuck

I want it.

Wow didn't realize the price for a physical copy of FF7 remake intergrade went up so much, I still have a sealed copy back from when Walmart had it for $20

Might want to get Shiren now instead of waiting
Spike Chunsoft games tend to get a drop or two. This is only one one system though, so may be worth it. I'm getting it because I love rogue games and this one of the more pure mystery dungeon rogue game series.

Last edited:
OMG Does the Rebirth physical Deluxe Edition really not include Integrade???

I see that you get FF7R and Integrade for free when you pre-order either the Rebirth digital Twin Pack or Twin Pack Digital Deluxe before launch. The "twin pack" essentially gives you the previous game for free. https://ffvii.square-enix-games.com/en-us/games/rebirth/buy

Odd it's two different versions (Rebirth Digital Deluxe and Twin Pack Digital Deluxe) that cost the same but one includes Remake/Intermission... while the other doesn't.

I can't complain. I love what they're doing with the Deluxe Editions for 100 bucks. That's exactly what I want in a cheap CE.

No Ramuh materia for this loser tho. 💎⚡(they'll just give it out for free later anyways lol)

Odd it's two different versions (Rebirth Digital Deluxe and Twin Pack Digital Deluxe) that cost the same but one includes Remake/Intermission... while the other doesn't.
apparently the Twin Pack is a prerelease incentive, and then the price goes up to $99.99 after release.

Any guesses what the last FF7 “Re-“ title will be? Something like “Re-Do” is my guess but that seems too simple. If they go all Multi-Verse, and connect it with kingdom hearts like the latest rumor‘s are saying, it could be “Re-Do 7.6 & 1/2.5.”. I was just joking about the tie into Kingdom Hearts rumor, but The Kingdom hearts 3 DLC was titled “Re-Mind”, so it’s already established in the Re-Verse...Remember hasn’t been used yet, that could work, but doesn’t imply “updated“ like Remake and Rebirth do.

Last edited:
Any guesses what the last FF7 “Re-“ title will be? Something like “Re-Do” is my guess but that seems too simple. If they go all Multi-Verse, and connect it with kingdom hearts like the latest rumor‘s are saying, it could be “Re-Do 7.6 & 1/2.5.”. I was just joking about the tie into Kingdom Hearts rumor, but The Kingdom hearts 3 DLC was titled “Re-Mind”, so it’s already established in the Re-Verse...Remember hasn’t been used yet, that could work, but doesn’t imply “updated“ like Remake and Rebirth do.
reunion? restore?

'Re-tard 3.0 + 1.01: You Can (Not) Buy Physical'

Reminiscence to pull out a g.u. reference

Re verses where it suddenly uses the original atb system from 7 vanilla and just slapping better graphics would be a crazy thing.

FF7 Return

Dragon Ball FighterZ is coming out for the PS5, Xbox Series X/S, Steam, Windows 10 tomorrow with rollback. I wonder if that means no physical release. It's supposed to be a free upgrade if you already own the game.

bread's done
Back