Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I finished Deadlink myself recently, but am not sure what I want to go for. Probably a main game and some indie games as side games. I need to play some physical games so that main game will likely be an RPG. I also need to cancel my pre-order for Stellar Blade, as I doubt I'll play it on release, and it doesn't feel like a good enough game to pay full price unless I'll play it.

I also need to cancel my pre-order for Stellar Blade, as I doubt I'll play it on release, and it doesn't feel like a good enough game to pay full price unless I'll play it.
I got it for about $53 pre-ordered at Target (20% off a video game Circle coupon and an extra $3 off from a gift card I had) and wasn't going to bother with the demo since it looked right up my alley. But, when I heard it was more Sekiro and less Bayonetta, I played the demo and...I think I liked it? It was tough for me to adapt to a more methodical playstyle and it's definitely giving AA vibes (nothing wrong with that, of course, but $70 is a AAA price). But then, the combat kind of clicked with me right when the demo cut me off and I've been thinking about it ever since. The world seems interesting and I really like the music, too.

I think I'll keep my pre-order since I'm still pretty interested. I almost want to buy the game on principle since the social media wet blankets are all having conniptions about EVE's design. Like, relax, it's just a game. Real women aren't being killed by EVE's hotness. I'm a woman and I love me some sexy video game ladies (just look at my profile pic lol).

They shipped it loose in a thin, cardboard envelope so the top and spine of the book jacket got creased. I thought Amazon Japan was better than that. Anyway, having this is encouraging me to finally replay the game. There's a very nice surprise under the book jacket, though I won't show it in case anyone else is getting this and wants to see it themselves.

I ordered the same book from Amazon Japan and they shipped it in a box. Did you get the standard or priority shipping? I did priority, so it could be that or maybe it's just the luck of the draw for packer.

They shipped it loose in a thin, cardboard envelope so the top and spine of the book jacket got creased. I thought Amazon Japan was better than that. Anyway, having this is encouraging me to finally replay the game. There's a very nice surprise under the book jacket, though I won't show it in case anyone else is getting this and wants to see it themselves.
I'm still holding out hope (for now) that Xenoblade 3 has done well enough that we might see someone bring it over, so I haven't ordered it yet.
Would you mind sharing that in a spoiler post? I'm really curious now and couldn't find anything when I searched

Cant Believe It Series 2 GIF by BBC Three
I just finished my Rune Factory 3 Special playthrough. I have this thread to thank (?) for catching this reference.
rf3s1.jpg

All Amazons are now ass for packaging... It used to be a US Amazon problem but now it's all of them.

I think a lot depends on where you live and how your local deliveries are handled. Ever since Amazon switched to their own delivery service in my area a few years ago I haven't received any damaged items from them, whereas before that damage was a regular occurrence. Amazon is still baffling to me for what they ship in boxes and what they ship in envelopes, but as long as I receive my things damage-free, I don't really care.

I ordered the same book from Amazon Japan and they shipped it in a box. Did you get the standard or priority shipping? I did priority, so it could be that or maybe it's just the luck of the draw for packer.
Standard, though in theory that's supposed to only dictate shipping speed, not package quality. I actually saw a few reviews on Amazon Japan of people stating they received it the same way as I did, so maybe you got lucky with that box.
I'm still holding out hope (for now) that Xenoblade 3 has done well enough that we might see someone bring it over, so I haven't ordered it yet.
Would you mind sharing that in a spoiler post? I'm really curious now and couldn't find anything when I searched

It's just what I think is a very sweet image:
20240411_112144.jpg

I've also imported the art books for 1, 2, and X, since those never came over, either. I know 3 is the most popular entry now, but I wasn't going to risk this selling out by waiting on an English translation that may never come. If we do get one, I'll just buy that too lol
I just finished my Rune Factory 3 Special playthrough. I have this thread to thank (?) for catching this reference.
View attachment 586
THERE'S A TAYCE REFERENCE IN RUNE FACTORY 3?!

Sorry, I'm a huge fan of RuPaul's Drag Race and Tayce was one of my favorite queens that season, so this makes me so happy. I may need to bump this game up the backlog just for that lol

Hah yeah I guess so. It definitely would have been a whoosh since I don't watch tv other than sports (all that time gets redirected to gaming). But that dialogue clicked as a "from that cag who didn't like ffx getting ragged on" memory.

Gamewise, RF3S was pretty solid, 7.5/10. I had already played RF4S so RF3S stood out as a smaller/shorter game. Not nearly as many explorable areas. Combat is pretty much the same. I liked the main character and he has some interesting thoughts he discloses to the player. I was less impressed with the overall plot - it's certainly not something I disagree with but it did feel a little simplistic and derivative. Basically making a sociological point rather than writing an interesting plot. The final boss / conflict resolution was just tacked on rather than an satisfying part of the story. Personally I had the same gameflow problems that I had playing RF4S. I think Persona has conditioned me to be such a minmaxer of in-game time/days that I completed everything at the end of 2nd season. I then spent 3 weeks with nothing to do except give a poor girl constant cucumbers until the game's ending finally unlocked. Flow wise, I'm guessing this wouldn't be a problem with most people who tackle their in-game schedule more casually.

The Golden Memories edition was a great pickup at $28 (woot). I was surprised to learn that it actually comes with a different cartridge that has swimsuit dlc. There is no dlc code like the RF4S release.

Hah yeah I guess so. It definitely would have been a whoosh since I don't watch tv other than sports (all that time gets redirected to gaming). But that dialogue clicked as a "from that cag who didn't like ffx getting ragged on" memory.

Gamewise, RF3S was pretty solid, 7.5/10. I had already played RF4S so RF3S stood out as a smaller/shorter game. Not nearly as many explorable areas. Combat is pretty much the same. I liked the main character and he has some interesting thoughts he discloses to the player. I was less impressed with the overall plot - it's certainly not something I disagree with but it did feel a little simplistic and derivative. Basically making a sociological point rather than writing an interesting plot. The final boss / conflict resolution was just tacked on rather than an satisfying part of the story. Personally I had the same gameflow problems that I had playing RF4S. I think Persona has conditioned me to be such a minmaxer of in-game time/days that I completed everything at the end of 2nd season. I then spent 3 weeks with nothing to do except give a poor girl constant cucumbers until the game's ending finally unlocked. Flow wise, I'm guessing this wouldn't be a problem with most people who tackle their in-game schedule more casually.

The Golden Memories edition was a great pickup at $28 (woot). I was surprised to learn that it actually comes with a different cartridge that has swimsuit dlc. There is no dlc code like the RF4S release.
Yeah, the only TV I typically watch is old Star Trek reruns and the rest of my time is for Youtube and gaming. I got back into Drag Race recently after having fallen behind on the 1,065 seasons of it, but that's pretty much it lol thanks for the mini review, it sounds pretty good! I got the Golden Memories version for $35 on Amazon and thought that was an incredible deal lol I didn't expect it to go on such a fire sale all of a sudden.
Catch These Hands! Love that manga :ROFLMAO:

I just contacted Amazon Japan about the damage to my Xenoblade 3 book and explained what happened. I was hoping to get maybe a partial refund, but the chat rep gave me a full refund, no return required. So, I got the book I originally paid $48.22 for for free. Now that damage isn't looking so bad. :ROFLMAO:

It's just what I think is a very sweet image:

I've also imported the art books for 1, 2, and X, since those never came over, either. I know 3 is the most popular entry now, but I wasn't going to risk this selling out by waiting on an English translation that may never come. If we do get one, I'll just buy that too lol
Thanks! That is a great image :)
I have 2 and X also waiting in my cart so if I do finally cave, I can get them all together :)

I just contacted Amazon Japan about the damage to my Xenoblade 3 book and explained what happened. I was hoping to get maybe a partial refund, but the chat rep gave me a full refund, no return required. So, I got the book I originally paid $48.22 for for free. Now that damage isn't looking so bad. :ROFLMAO:
As always take those refunds with caution as eventually they burn accounts and salt the earth :(.

As always take those refunds with caution as eventually they burn accounts and salt the earth :(.
If you mean they'll ban me for it eventually, they can do whatever since I barely shop on Amazon Japan, especially considering they pack just as poorly as US Amazon. Putting a thick, heavy book in an oversized cardboard envelope it'll slide around in and sending it overseas is unacceptable.

On the subject of importing from Japan, has anyone used Buyee? It’s one of those services that acts as a middleman between buying stuff online in Japan that only has domestic shipping, and shipping out of country. I’ve been seeing some sponsorships for it on YouTube videos occasionally.

On the subject of importing from Japan, has anyone used Buyee? It’s one of those services that acts as a middleman between buying stuff online in Japan that only has domestic shipping, and shipping out of country. I’ve been seeing some sponsorships for it on YouTube videos occasionally.
I've used them in the past, but it's been a while (the last time was pre-COVID so I'm not sure how much has changed since then). They are reliable but I would only use them to buy something you absolutely cannot get otherwise as they add on a ton of fees. They provide you with a Japanese address so you can buy from YAJ/Amazon JP marketplace and the items get shipped to their warehouse. You can have them forward the package from the warehouse to you sight unseen or they can open and inspect it (for an additional fee of course). If you plan to buy several things from different places you can have them hold your stuff and ship it all together in one package to save on shipping costs (but they offset that with a "consolidation fee"). So yes they are legit but there are caveats and I only use them for items that otherwise are not able to be purchased directly from the usual merchants because the fees quickly offset any potential savings.

I've been using Buyee for the last four years. I have no complaints about the service. They've actually lowered some of their fees, so they're more competitive. They've been offering a ton ef coupons lately. With these coupons and the devalued Yen I've been able to afford some games I've wanted for years.

VGP has PS4 Monster Hunter Stories for preroder

Sucks MHS2 is a DLC code

I am probably still going to get it

Sucks so much that 2 games I really wanted (Megaton Musashi and Saga Emerald) are both coming out next week and digital only. I probably will still get Saga Emerald, but that is sad. I'm not 100% sure about Eiyuden Chronicles or Stellar Blade.

Sucks so much that 2 games I really wanted (Megaton Musashi and Saga Emerald) are both coming out next week and digital only. I probably will still get Saga Emerald, but that is sad. I'm not 100% sure about Eiyuden Chronicles or Stellar Blade.
I don't mind them being digital, but the preorder bonus for Saga Emerald is so weak, it doesn't come with anything exclusive. Square Enix tends to give exclusive bonuses occasionally, but I guess not this time. I'm probably in the minority but stuff like that does have the chance to sway me.

I had the TV on late last night there there was a commercial that started and wasn't paying attention until I heard, what really sounded like Aerith and it was her on TV... and very next scene was a HUGE spoiler. It was a commercial for some mental health thing/campaign with FF Rebirth.

Kinda pissed as I only just started the game last week and am still in Kalm, and so far have been able to avoid all spoilers until this random ass commercial...:whistle2:/

I had the TV on late last night there there was a commercial that started and wasn't paying attention until I heard, what really sounded like Aerith and it was her on TV... and very next scene was a HUGE spoiler. It was a commercial for some mental health thing/campaign with FF Rebirth.

Kinda pissed as I only just started the game last week and am still in Kalm, and so far have been able to avoid all spoilers until this random ass commercial...:whistle2:/
Oh, I was in Gamestop a few weeks ago and I think that commercial came on the TV behind the counter. I was looking for something to use my $5 monthly coupon on and heard Aerith's voice, so I looked up and saw the "cease the awkward" or whatever message at the end. I must have just missed the spoiler, thank goodness, since I haven't started Rebirth yet. My husband mentioned that charity did a Guild Wars 2 campaign, as well. To be playing an ad with a huge spoiler on TV and in stores is so wrong, no matter who it'll supposedly "help." Plus, it gives off major "hello fellow kids" vibes. I know you need to reach out where the people you want to help are, but it comes across as pandering. And uh, also, you just spoiled the game they're possibly playing. They're not going to like you very much now.

Oh, I was in Gamestop a few weeks ago and I think that commercial came on the TV behind the counter. I was looking for something to use my $5 monthly coupon on and heard Aerith's voice, so I looked up and saw the "cease the awkward" or whatever message at the end. I must have just missed the spoiler, thank goodness, since I haven't started Rebirth yet. My husband mentioned that charity did a Guild Wars 2 campaign, as well. To be playing an ad with a huge spoiler on TV and in stores is so wrong, no matter who it'll supposedly "help." Plus, it gives off major "hello fellow kids" vibes. I know you need to reach out where the people you want to help are, but it comes across as pandering. And uh, also, you just spoiled the game they're possibly playing. They're not going to like you very much now.

Yep, that's what I was. For those of you that did beat the game already, the spoiler was...

Jessie hugging Cloud, showing she's still alive. Maybe not a HUGE spoiler given Remake showed it's not the same game but, a spoiler non-the-less.

Anyway, I had a bit of free time last night and decided to play Rebirth for an hour... 3 hours later, I made it from Kalm to the swamp before realizing I had played for 3 hours. Graphics mode made a HUGE improvement in the open world from the demo, where it was like 15 fps at times in the Junon area. Even though I normally prefer performance modes, I can't decide with this game between graphics (actually looks better, usually can't tell in most games) vs performance (buttery smooth). And the world itself is insanely detailed and has so much more going on that FFXVI... kind of shocked.

I rewatched the ad and didn’t notice a spoiler. But if this is true, and it’s a big or sad spoiler, they could literally be responsible for someone‘s death or harm. With all the google ad data they have on us nowadays, they are blasting spoilers worldwide for a game their target demographic of mentally unwell FF7 fans have been waiting over 25 years for. Ever heard of the FF7 house? This is an at risk demographic.

Last edited:
Kind of a joke, but not entirely. These are ads for everyone, but the primary group they would be directed to and targeting with ad data would be FF7 fans also concerned with mental health issues. If they were blasting spoilers to that demographic, out of millions, there could be some negative mental health impacts, or worse.

Primarily I am pointing out the idiocy of using a mental health campaign to blast spoilers that ad data would direct to the most vulnerable of the targeted fanbase, who have waited possibly a majority of their life for the game. If it were massive spoilers, there could actually be harm caused.

Last edited:

Not technically Japanese (the devs are from Singapore), but Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragons has been dropping, too. $12-$15, depending on platform. That $12 PS4 version is the cheapest I’ve seen it on any platform digitally or physically, though I can’t monitor physical clearance everywhere, obviously.

I also grabbed the 8bitdo Famicom-inspired mechanical keyboard (which recently dropped to $70 on Woot, think it was $80 not too long ago) because I’m a damn sucker for 8bitdo’s stuff.

Not technically Japanese (the devs are from Singapore), but Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragons has been dropping, too. $12-$15, depending on platform. That $12 PS4 version is the cheapest I’ve seen it on any platform digitally or physically, though I can’t monitor physical clearance everywhere, obviously.

I also grabbed the 8bitdo Famicom-inspired mechanical keyboard (which recently dropped to $70 on Woot, think it was $80 not too long ago) because I’m a damn sucker for 8bitdo’s stuff.
They recently announced DLC for DD Gaiden, so I wonder if a physical edition with the DLC is coming, like Streets of Rage 4 and Shredder's Revenge before it.

Yep, that's what I was. For those of you that did beat the game already, the spoiler was...

Jessie hugging Cloud, showing she's still alive. Maybe not a HUGE spoiler given Remake showed it's not the same game but, a spoiler non-the-less.

Anyway, I had a bit of free time last night and decided to play Rebirth for an hour... 3 hours later, I made it from Kalm to the swamp before realizing I had played for 3 hours. Graphics mode made a HUGE improvement in the open world from the demo, where it was like 15 fps at times in the Junon area. Even though I normally prefer performance modes, I can't decide with this game between graphics (actually looks better, usually can't tell in most games) vs performance (buttery smooth). And the world itself is insanely detailed and has so much more going on that FFXVI... kind of shocked.
wait, what? that spoiler isn't even true...

wait, what? that spoiler isn't even true...
We see Biggs and Wedge as being alive, but no indication that Jessie is alive. Commercial pretty much says she is after the events of Remake.

Or am I missing/misremembering something?

You guys, I watched that Seize the Awkward commercial when it first came out shortly before the Rebirth came out. That supposed "spoiler" is a scene from Remake. The commercial uses a mix of scenes from both Remake and Rebirth and there's nothing particularly spoilery about it, unless you consider it showing someone who can accompany you at Gold Saucer (who could even in the OG) a spoiler.

You guys, I watched that Seize the Awkward commercial when it first came out shortly before the Rebirth came out. That supposed "spoiler" is a scene from Remake. The commercial uses a mix of scenes from both Remake and Rebirth and there's nothing particularly spoilery about it, unless you consider it showing someone who can accompany you at Gold Saucer (who could even in the OG) a spoiler.

Oh... LOL well crap, I thought it was all from Rebirth since it's a Rebirth campaign. My bad then, nothing spoiled.

Right, I didn‘t actually see a spoiler in it either, that would just be super villain level evil if there was. If you complete the first part of the Rebirth demo, the “special movie” that plays automatically after, now that is massive spoilers. I exited out after the very first scene that pops up, so I don’t know how much worse it gets. I was relieved when it happened to be the first part of the full game, but it seems like a massive end game spoiler if you see it before actually playing the game. I wonder how many other people immediately noped out of that “special movie.”

Grabbed $20 copies of Fire Emblem Engage and Star Ocean Second Story R for switch at a Walmart store on Saturday. I visited four stores just to get out of the house and relive the old days of game hunting since who knows how many more years we even have of games being stocked in stores like this. I was glad to see not all the good deals for games I wanted were cleared out. I didn't bother looking at anything for other systems as switch alone is plenty for me to focus on. I wanted to also find a copy of Nier Automata for switch, as it was reduced to $10 at all stores I visited, but no copies left on the shelf. :( Still, I'm pretty happy with what I got. Star Ocean Second was the last copy between all the stores i visited. Felt like hitting the jackpot considering I was nearly a week late to all these price drops. I had been contemplating FE Engage since it was $40 at most stores, but it wasn't even a second thought to get a copy for $20.

bread's done
Back