Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Square Enix Increases Production on Final Fantasy XV Ultimate Collector's Edition/Getting a Second Printing. Might not come in on time for the September Release Date.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2016-04-21/square-enix-increases-production-on-final-fantasy-xv-ultimate-collector-edition/.101325
I heard that they cancelled orders for people who were trying to scalp. pfft like they actually know how ordered multiples.

So what sets God Eater apart from other Monster Hunter-esque games like Freedom Wars and Toukiden aside from having a different developer?
It has underboob (in japan) and a anime series done by ufo table?

pfft another p5 announcement about a announcement date that a countdown for another announcement that the game is still coming out someday.

Sweet, just finished watching the God Eater anime, now ready for some gameplay on my Vita. Sad both (vita games) are digital only though, but I will take that over nothing.

Also, I don't care how much a CE for P5 would cost, I am buying it with my savings.
how much will a ce of p5 cost? Not like it matters as it will be common you can bet.

Did I just enter the Twilight Zone?
I would be more worried about magiroux outfit being censored since its pink panties and a skirt made out of thesaurus's

I'm too innocent for that kind of thing.
pfft

Didn't see this mentioned, but Rogue Galaxy on PS4 is on sale for $5.99 as part of the weekend flash sale.
Don't really like supporting these releases when I feel they could release a stand alone emulator on the ps4, but I would have picked it up on the PS3 for about this price, so went ahead and grabbed it.

Didn't see this mentioned, but Rogue Galaxy on PS4 is on sale for $5.99 as part of the weekend flash sale.
Don't really like supporting these releases when I feel they could release a stand alone emulator on the ps4, but I would have picked it up on the PS3 for about this price, so went ahead and grabbed it.
I owned PS3 version on DISC. It worth Upgrade on PS4 with HD graphic? Any extra with HD version?

Just on that principle alone,

shut_up_and_take_my_money-t2.jpg

Just the PS4 version of Rage Burst, which will also come with a code to download Resurrection (not sure if you're limited to the PS4 version of the latter).
I'll probably get both games on STEAM if that's the case. Hopefully there will be an undub mod by the time the games go on sale

I really hope so too. The Tales series is too good to become JRPG's Call of Duty where we eat one up every year and each one tastes just a bit more bitter than the last.
Treyarch made Black Ops 3 pretty good imo, it's the other developers ya can't trust.

I know, I know, I'm such a casual
But I only buy the games for zombies, and the story is getting even better - we blew up the Moon in February's map, and the map that came out less than a week ago is our dream Japanese map - Zetsubou no Shima

...sorry, I'm done :p

Persona 5 hype

I owned PS3 version on DISC. It worth Upgrade on PS4 with HD graphic? Any extra with HD version?
uh I think you mean ps2. there was never a ps3 release to my knowledge.

tales of wise they don't come out once a year normally. sequel/prequels and closer development times. Personally I'd be ok with yearly releases if they went back to vesperia quality. seventh chord did a better job making hearts r than bamco did with zesty. zesty was just a mess with all the worst parts of xillia graces and xillia 2 along with really bad new design decisions like random equipment in shops/drops and its skill system.

Well, it's an uprezzed version as opposed to a remake w/ HD graphics, but for me (I also have the ps2 disc) it's about ease of access, not needing to deal with memory cards, and displaying better on a modern TV set. As for extras, the only change besides looking a bit better are trophies.

Well, it's an uprezzed version as opposed to a remake w/ HD graphics, but for me (I also have the ps2 disc) it's about ease of access, not needing to deal with memory cards, and displaying better on a modern TV set. As for extras, the only change besides looking a bit better are trophies.
Thanks you save me $6

Somewhat curious if anybody actually uses the wiki. Wiki's in the Deals section seem to be having issues with editing the past few days as far as I could tell and I could have sworn I edited stuff in like Stranger of Sword City on PC, but I'm not seeing it anymore. I guess if it doesn't clear up by tomorrow, I'll scream wolf to John.

Other stuff that released without warning last week that are all PC/Steam:

- The Men of Yoshiwara: Ohgiya (Otome Visual Novel)

- C14 Dating (Otome Visual Novel)

- Witch and Hero(魔女と勇者) (8-Bit Action)

Weekly Releases (April 24th - April 30th)

Corpse Party

- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Horror / RPG
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A

- Comments: Contains 1 new chapter over the original. Will be missing 3 new chapters on the upcoming 3DS remake and I doubt it will be able to get modded in on the PC, but who knows.

Stranger of Sword City

- Platform(s): Vita
- Genre: First-Person Dungeon Crawler

- Comments: Already released on Xbox One. Releasing on PC in June.

Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart

- Genre: Strategy RPG

- Comments: Previously released on Vita.

OZMAFIA!!

- Genre: Otome Visual Novel

Aselia the Eternal -The Spirit of Eternity Sword-

- Genre: Visual Novel / RPG

- Comments: Pretty sure this is the All Ages version, but I'm not entirely sure there is an English 18+ version as JAST doesn't doesn't seem to list it as 18+ (And VNDB). This was also previously in a Groupees Bundle for the JAST site, so there's the slight potential for Steam keys to come from that.

Selenon Rising

- Genre: Visual Novel / Mystery

Past Releases

April 17th - April 23rd

April 10th - April 16th

April 3rd - April 9th

March 27th - April 2nd

March 20th - March 26th

uh I think you mean ps2. there was never a ps3 release to my knowledge.

tales of wise they don't come out once a year normally. sequel/prequels and closer development times. Personally I'd be ok with yearly releases if they went back to vesperia quality. seventh chord did a better job making hearts r than bamco did with zesty. zesty was just a mess with all the worst parts of xillia graces and xillia 2 along with really bad new design decisions like random equipment in shops/drops and its skill system.
well vesperia was still my favorite except for lack of direction with some of the side quests, missed alot because of short windows and the unequal leveling system, i mean if a character goes away and you have been grinding they should have those characters come back at your level. i also didnt like graces, zestria wasnt to bad and i actually liked xillia because it wasnt grind heavy and had seperate story lines. well myabe if bamco wasnt bogarding the tales team from working on a project for microsoft we might get a vesperia 2 in the future

Somewhat curious if anybody actually uses the wiki. Wiki's in the Deals section seem to be having issues with editing the past few days as far as I could tell and I could have sworn I edited stuff in like Stranger of Sword City on PC, but I'm not seeing it anymore. I guess if it doesn't clear up by tomorrow, I'll scream wolf to John.
I haven't been, since you're doing these weekly lists anyways.

Weekly Releases (April 24th - April 30th)

Corpse Party

- Genre: Horror / RPG

- Comments: Contains 1 new chapter over the original. Will be missing 3 new chapters on the upcoming 3DS remake and I doubt it will be able to get modded in on the PC, but who knows.

Stranger of Sword City

- Platform(s): Vita
- Genre: First-Person Dungeon Crawler

- Comments: Already released on Xbox One. Releasing on PC in June.

Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart

- Genre: Strategy RPG

- Comments: Previously released on Vita.

OZMAFIA!!

- Genre: Otome Visual Novel

Aselia the Eternal -The Spirit of Eternity Sword-

- Genre: Visual Novel / RPG

- Comments: Pretty sure this is the All Ages version, but I'm not entirely sure there is an English 18+ version as JAST doesn't doesn't seem to list it as 18+ (And VNDB). This was also previously in a Groupees Bundle for the JAST site, so there's the slight potential for Steam keys to come from that.

Selenon Rising

- Genre: Visual Novel / Mystery
Yeesh... There's been so many delays, this was supposed to be a really good week...

I haven't been, since you're doing these weekly lists anyways.
[customspoiler='Not the answer I was expecting from you of all people.']
WLJUsxY.png
[/customspoiler]

Yeesh... There's been so many delays, this was supposed to be a really good week...
I've been watching game releases fairly closely since I started this list on the PS4 Community last year and I don't particularly recall this week supposedly being a hard hitting week. Though with the surge of Japanese games on the PC in the last year or so, it can make it seem heavier than it is. Though part of that is just gaining publicity by releasing on Steam rather than sticking to JAST, MangaGamer and more.

Also very recently Jast USA released the physical copies of Seinarukana. I actually forgot about it, and it includes a future Steam key for it. Will pick up eventually.

I've been watching game releases fairly closely since I started this list on the PS4 Community last year and I don't particularly recall this week supposedly being a hard hitting week.
Uncharted 4 & Megatagmension were supposed to come out this week before they got delayed.

Uncharted 4 & Megatagmension were supposed to come out this week before they got delayed.
Ah, I'm not particularly paying attention to Uncharted which is probably why. I'll get it eventually, but I'm in no rush. As for MegaTagmension, it isn't particularly urgent for me either. More so since I'll likely see it on PC down the road. I'll be buying Stellaris that week for me though. ALL HAIL THE BLORG.

Even though Vesperia was my favorite JRPG of last gen, it still brings my piss to a boil that we never got a localized version of the superior PS3 port since we got the short end of the stick with all the content that was cut ugh.

I still want to play the "complete" port >_< (subbed pls)

[customspoiler="But the Blorg just wanted to be friends. Why would you deny their beautiful existence? (Potentially NSFW)"]
Krf1ROR.png
[/customspoiler]

Even though Vesperia was my favorite JRPG of last gen, it still brings my piss to a boil that we never got a localized version of the superior PS3 port since we got the short end of the stick with all the content that was cut ugh.

I still want to play the "complete" port &gt;_&lt; (subbed pls)
I always hold out (misdirected) hope it someday gets a handheld port. Or possibly even a digital only release. The likelyhood is slim to none. I also would love to see Tales of Innocence get a NA Vita release. One can hope.

I don't use the wiki. I keep up to date by reading the weekly update post...

Is anyone playing knights of azure? I'm at the end of chapter 1(I think) and I'm really confused by a few gameplay mechanics. What's the point of the random quests, seem like they just keep coming regardless of how many you do. How do you enter the daytime activities portion of the game?

Are we still doing that Slog thru the Backlog thing? I'll create the thread for it but I rarely venture outside the deals section so I'm not sure where to make it.

Is anyone playing knights of azure? I'm at the end of chapter 1(I think) and I'm really confused by a few gameplay mechanics. What's the point of the random quests, seem like they just keep coming regardless of how many you do. How do you enter the daytime activities portion of the game?
Night quests are pretty pointless, so take whatever you think you may run into. Day quests/activities you unlock by progressing through the story and then you unlock the ability to do more simultaneously by spending points to upgrade the skill through the menu.

Game is pretty easy until post-game. Which can be easy if you use certain tactics.

Is there a specific trigger for day activity? Like blink and you miss it or is it always available though. Because I rescued Lilly from the cat monster thing, return to the hotel and the owner mentions day activities. So I check the option and it's still greyed out.

Is there a specific trigger for day activity? Like blink and you miss it or is it always available though. Because I rescued Lilly from the cat monster thing, return to the hotel and the owner mentions day activities. So I check the option and it's still greyed out.
So long as you're progressing the story and making sure to talk to the NPCs in there when they have symbols above them, there shouldn't be an issue. You can eventually start daytime activities by talking to the barkeep and moving over a tab. You're probably really close to unlocking it as I'm pretty sure it's more or less directly after the daytime activity event with Lilly.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Footage from PAX East Appears to Confirm More Changes for the West

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/04/24/tokyo-mirage-sessions-fe-footage-from-pax-east-appears-to-confirm-more-changes-for-the-west/
https://youtu.be/oD6POqW3CPc
Inb4 people start complaining about Nintendo censorship again.
It gets worse:

https://twitter.com/Screvvy/status/724123445462740992

Bikinis -&gt; normal clothes in case you can't see them.

Uncharted 4 &amp; Megatagmension were supposed to come out this week before they got delayed.
I would've still been bummed about Uncharted 4 being delayed but at least May is looking decent for me leading up to it. Star Wars Battlefront update on May 4, Overwatch beta May 5 - 9, Uncharted 4 and MegaTagmension Blanc (with removable hat) + Neptune VS Zombies on May 10.

umaru5_zpsdj7ttry5.gif

It's not like Nintendo needs to alienate more customers or anything, they're doing so well already as it is.

WII U's flying off the shelves!

bread's done
Back