Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Pre-order bonus was only advertised as a single track anyway.

It was all about the bonus PS4 Themes for the main bonus though.
lol was it really? "Soundtrack" is a little misleading then.

That's like a deli advertising potato chips with your sandwich, and they give you one potato chip.

Anyone here get I Am Setsuna? I ordered it from PSN and it came with a soundtrack. I copied the soundtrack to my USB drive via my PS4 and it has one track? Uh....
Well here's the Steam description of the soundtrack:

"‘Winter’s End’ is a collection of 27 beautiful, emotive and soft piano melodies by composer Tomoki Miyoshi. The stunning 62 minute original soundtrack is the first SQUARE ENIX soundtrack to be available via STEAM."

Should be the same across the board? I tried transferring the Gravity Rush score and one Flash Drive would fail on transfer even though it was being read by the PS4. The other one transferred everything but a few tracks got corrupted.

Yeah it's pretty frustrating. Oh, both were USB 3.0 flash drives. Every now and then I notice all of my consoles like 2.0 drives better than 3.0 drives. Wish I could say why.

It's been almost whole month since Future Tone came out. Is everyone who purchased it still enjoying it? I have all the songs completed on Hard, 3 songs of the harder songs at standard rank, a few songs with great rank and most of them excellent with about 25~ or so perfect. I've also moved up to playing mostly extreme now. I have cleared songs up to 8.5 stars, and I have 5 extreme perfects under my belt.

I also have noticed something really annoying, I do not like some of the really god like players out there that post on forums or say a song is not hard because it's easy for them. I would consider myself an above-average rhythm game player and I'm never going to attain those types of scores. I'm also 35 and can tell my reflexes can be slow at times. However, sometimes I'm just in the zone.

I took a few weeks off, was playing other things but lately I've been streaming alot on twitch

so I'm getting back into the grind, still making my way thru Extreme songs & some I realize

I won't ever be able to do... (Maybe until I get the MikuX Controller)

lol

My ZTD Watch order from Amazon has now been delayed for a 3rd time with an estimated delivery date of 8/9-8/29. Is this thing even worth it anymore? I figure the vanilla game will go on sale by that time.

lol

My ZTD Watch order from Amazon has now been delayed for a 3rd time with an estimated delivery date of 8/9-8/29. Is this thing even worth it anymore? I figure the vanilla game will go on sale by that time.
I'm leaning towards "no". My order still doesn't even have an estimated delivery date.

lol

Glad to know I'm not the only one who hasn't received my game. Mine doesn't even have an estimated date. I'm probably just going to buy it at Best Buy and then return the copy Amazon sends me, if they ever do. Neither Aksys nor Amazon has been much help the few times I've reached out to them.

CnzYh-tWgAACXBB.jpg

A bit off topic, but did any of you guys pick up 7th Dragon 3 Code: VFD last week? Is it good?

I saw a couple copies of the first release edition with the artbook at my local Bestbuy, and became interested.

Only reason I'm asking is because I don't really remember hearing anything about this game at all.
It's a really solid JRPG. People tend to compare it to EO, but it has more differences than similarities. It's not as difficult as EO, that doesn't mean it's a walk in the park. Some dragon fights can get really tough if you get ambushed by two of them. Character designs are fantastic and the job classes are unique along with the voices. I would say it's definitely a top contender for JRPG of the year for 3DS.

I'm just going to confess here. I'm enjoying ZTD so far but I will admit that sometimes I get impatient with the puzzles and cheat. Not that the puzzles are hard, but sometimes when you're searching, if you aren't exact with the cursor sometimes, you will miss stuff.
Me too. Got stuck on the Manufacturing room. Had to look up a guide, then watched a youtube video and still I had trouble clicking the button. So goddamn specific which pixel you had to touch.

Tentatively excited. Depending on which servants are available. Where mah boi Lancer at?

It's a really solid JRPG. People tend to compare it to EO, but it has more differences than similarities. It's not as difficult as EO, that doesn't mean it's a walk in the park. Some dragon fights can get really tough if you get ambushed by two of them. Character designs are fantastic and the job classes are unique along with the voices. I would say it's definitely a top contender for JRPG of the year for 3DS.
Thanks for your input! Sounds like a game I should try out then. I will likely pick it up this weekend :)

Tentatively excited. Depending on which servants are available. Where mah boi Lancer at?
Agreed. We need more lancers than just Elizabeth Bathory!

Considering there is no rating for a PS3 version by the ESRB and it just released for the PS3 and only the PS2 original and PS4 version are rated by the ESRB, I'd venture to guess that the error is tied to the ESRB mislabeling the PS3 version as PS4.
Ugh. I hope you're wrong.

You mean you think Sadistic Music Factory is hard??? Lol that's the stuff they say

You have good scores
Funny you should say that, I attempted that on extreme last night and promptly failed the song at around 15-17%. Granted, I used to fail Smile and Sing, a 8.5 star song and last night I got it up to almost 81%

There will be 16 Playable Characters for Fate Extella:

Characters so far:

*Playable Saber (Fate/Extra)/Nero Claudius
*Playable Archer (Fate/Extra)/Nameless
*Saber (Fate/Extra)/Gawain
*Playable Caster (Fate/Extra)/Tamamo no Mae
*Launcher (Fate/Extra CCC)/Karna
*Lancer (Fate/Extra CCC)/Elizabeth Bathory
*Berserker (Fate/Extra Rin route)/ Lü Bu Fèngxiān
*Saber (Fate/Grand Order - Attila)/Altera
*Gilgamesh (Fate/Extra CCC)/Gilgamesh
*Ruler (Fate/Apocrypha)/Jeanne d'Arc
*Rider (Fate/Zero)/skandar
*Saber (Fate/stay night)/Artoria
Only the Box art was revealed.

Characters so far:

Looks like there are only 4 character slots left. They're still missing the Assassin and possibly Avenger servant types too. Wonder who else they add.

It would make sense if they add Cu Chulainn as a Lancer as well since he was in Fate/Extra, but I have no idea. Or if they added the crossover characters like Shiki Ryougi or Arcueid. That would be pretty cool.

Characters so far:

Nero is best but Caster is pretty good too.

Also the first time I saw the box art I thought Caster had really long ears, but turns out those were actually fingers.

My local Gamestop still has Corpse Party: Blood Drive - Ever After Edition for $21.97. I passed on it though, the box looks crushed on the side and though it's marked as "new", it's clearly been opened (as per usual Gamestop practices).

Honestly, I don't think I can step foot into a Gamestop again until they get rid of those annoying Amiibo/Mario kiosks. Not sure how the employees deal with hearing "AMIIBO!" every few seconds, followed by:

Mario: "Hello?" [knocks] "Helloooo?" [knocks] "Hello! Its'a me, Mario! Woohoo!!!!"

My local Gamestop still has Corpse Party: Blood Drive - Ever After Edition for $21.97. I passed on it though, the box looks crushed on the side and though it's marked as "new", it's clearly been opened (as per usual Gamestop practices).

Honestly, I don't think I can step foot into a Gamestop again until they get rid of those annoying Amiibo/Mario kiosks. Not sure how the employees deal with hearing "AMIIBO!" every few seconds, followed by:

Mario: "Hello?" [knocks] "Helloooo?" [knocks] "Hello! Its'a me, Mario! Woohoo!!!!"
Your stores still have those??? The stores around here were updated to get rid of that months ago.

Very rarely do I ever buy anything from Gamestop unless its a special pre-order, or its a 3DS game for my son since he doesn't care about cases. Anymore I mostly buy from Play-Asia, Gamefly, and NISA.

I rarely buy new from GS, but I buy used stuff from them all the time. If you have some good mom & pop game stores in your area you may have better alternatives, but around her any locally owned stores charge ebay prices for their stuff. It takes some looking to find complete copies at GS sometimes, but they're pretty much always much cheaper on their used stuff than the online alternatives.

Plus, the employees at my stores are some of the nicest people I know.

EDIT:

The Gamestop in the local mall got rid of theirs a while back. But the nearby one still has that kiosk.
Your Nintendo rep is really slacking then. The kiosk is still there, but they should have updated the demo that runs in it - and the new one is nowhere near as annoying as that Mario Amiibo thing.

Looks pretty cool, but if thats the only way to get it I likely wont be getting it. Already got the Super Duper Ultra Deluxe at the SE Store, and the regular Deluxe at Amazon for the other Steelbooks (Which I'm probably gonna cancel anyway)
My guess is that it'll also release separately for some price (probably $5-$10) at some point down the road.

Cmon people. I can't be the only one excited about the WoFF CE?
I am super excited for WoFF, and was hyped at the CE when I first saw it. I put a pre-order in. Then I read the size of the figures, they are about 1.6-1.9 inches. I wasn't expecting anything huge, but I thought they would be closer to 3-4 inches. So I'm a little disappointed at that now. It does feel pricey for what we get.

Cmon people. I can't be the only one excited about the WoFF CE?
If they added a steelbook on top of the rest, it might have been more worth it. But it doesn't feel like you get as much value as is. The set of 5 figures would have been about $40. The fact that they aren't even giving you the whole set in this CE makes it worse. I also get taxed and they would charge shipping (at least they did with FFXV Ultimate even though at the time, it said you get free shipping on $100+ orders, so I'm assuming pre-orders don't work anyways).

I am super excited for WoFF, and was hyped at the CE when I first saw it. I put a pre-order in. Then I read the size of the figures, they are about 1.6-1.9 inches. I wasn't expecting anything huge, but I thought they would be closer to 3-4 inches. So I'm a little disappointed at that now. It does feel pricey for what we get.
Here's a pic I shamelessly stole from one of my chats to show the comparison of these figures to the Tales figures.

11fYS95.jpg

Ok. Learning that has greatly reduced my excitement. I was thinking they were nendo sized.

My CEs gotta have:

1.  steelbook

2.  CD soundtrack

3. 1XX+ pg art book, other nice art extras, chipboard art box, etc

in that order of preference.  If components are lower than that on the list then it is unlikely that I pick it up.  Folded-up posters are -really- stupid.  Expensive statues tend to be really dumb too, yet some of the cheap ones are very nice bargains.

That World of Final Fantasy CE has some cool stuff but it looks pretty bare bones for $120 + shipping.  Especially for a game we know the standard edition will drop to $20-30 rather quickly.  We're talking about a ~$100 premium on what should be a $30 game. 

Now that I am broke again I am really trying to watch it with buying up CEs.  They are such a waste of money, there's one for almost every game, and anything that isn't a web store exclusive can usually be gotten for super cheap down the line. 

But yeah, prioritize buying those web store exclusives if you want 'em.

bread's done
Back