Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Got Shiren today in a box from Best Buy. They are knocking it out of the park recently with packaging.
They sent me Zero Time Dilemma in a box, but Shiren in a bubble mailer. Not that it really matters though since it's kind of hard to damage a Vita game box in a bubble mailer.

Hey, that release date is today lol. Not sure if I'll get it though, the gameplay seems pretty underwhelming. Might wait until it goes on sale.
claudia being playable seems like a spoilerish thing to put in the game. especially since she wasn't even fighting during the phoenix festa. Or hell at all really so far in the anime.

Hey, that release date is today lol. Not sure if I'll get it though, the gameplay seems pretty underwhelming. Might wait until it goes on sale.
I snagged the Physical Chinese release via pre-order. For some reason I'm an easy target for these releases and wish I could resist the strong collector in me. It'll look nice on my shelf, though I am a sucker for playing the Chinese releases with English subs.

Is this any good? What does the game compare to? I know there's a Wii game but I've never played it.
The Shiren series has always gotten a fair amount of critical praise. It is one of the more classic rogue-like series. I REALLY need to finally pop one of my copies of the game in and have a go. I've been curious about it myself for years, and own all of the western releases. (including the title that just came out today, my copy arrived in the mail from Amazon) But with my crazy collecting tendencies, I've just never gotten around to playing it.

After my experience playing Rogue Legacy, I think I would be interested in trying a more conventional rogue-like game.

Oh and...

Somebody REEEAAAALLLLY thinks Alisa is best girl....
And now I've just confirmed it:

fitem15.jpg

http://www.falcom.com/c90/index.html

Well, it looks like Lady Layton will be on the 3DS as well as Android/iOS. The main character seems to be Laytons daughter. Also, talking dog. Hopefully the game won't suffer due to it being on mobile but It shouldn't since it's pretty basic in gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRDu2PUNoDo

I guess this means Flora got snubbed. Then again, we don't know who the mother is.

Cool, can't ever get enough of Layton. What's the chances of this getting localized, since it would probably be at the end of the 3DS's life cycle? I guess a NX version is possible, I'll guess we'll have to wait and see.

Cool, can't ever get enough of Layton. What's the chances of this getting localized, since it would probably be at the end of the 3DS's life cycle? I guess a NX version is possible, I'll guess we'll have to wait and see.
They sold pretty well so I won't we be worry. I mean we got the last DS Layton game 2 years after Japan when the 3DS is already out.

Excited for Lady Layton. Love these games, and I am sure it will get localized. I need to finish the 3DS games though....

If anyone plays the Asterisk War game please give a quick opinion. It costs too much to be any type of impulse buy. 

So I'm a big liar and ended up downloading Asterisk War even though I said I probably wouldn't.

One of my friends told me it wasn't so bad and that I should try it out. Plus I had $10 from my Sony Rewards account to make myself think the game was $30 instead of $40. lol

Kinda long first impressions:

I've only spent like an hour playing the game but it's actually not that bad. The screenshots posted on the game page and what we've seen online make it look like the ugliest game in existence, but on the actual Vita the game looks nice. The fighting gameplay may be a bit lackluster, but I haven't done the partners thing so that will likely liven things up. The other part of the game is a VN style story mode, which covers the first season of the anime, I believe (which is great for me since I never finished watching it, and don't have much time) There's also an RPG style leveling up system which is interesting, but I haven't had much time to experiment with that.

tl;dr version: Game is not as bad as it seems, get it if you like the anime, even more so if you can get it for cheaper.

Amazons algorithms are weird.  Its possible they are getting rid of old stock like they did when atelier ayesha gradually dropped 8$ in the same day.  Prices may go back up as more people notice and buy them but there's no real way of knowing.

More like "free" since you have to have Plus but that's a debate for another time/thread.
don't be that guy

and anyways yes it's free for me. I paid that $40 months ago so I could play Destiny and other online games. That ship sailed long ago. It's a sunk cost; that's a cost that has already been incurred, independent from any purchasing one may make in the future. That money has already been spent. So yes, Yakuza 5 will be absolutely FREE (for me).

don't be that guy

and anyways yes it's free for me. I paid that $40 months ago so I could play Destiny and other online games. That ship sailed long ago. It's a sunk cost; that's a cost that has already been incurred, independent from any purchasing one may make in the future. That money has already been spent. So yes, Yakuza 5 will be absolutely FREE (for me).
When is the game expiring??

Longest 5 Minutes cool! I'm very happy about this and hope Clandun Sengoku one is somewhere in the pipeline too. I was hoping for that one to be announced first. Also Yakuza 0....yay! I love this and this one will be in the 80s I believe so I can't wait for it!

Also dsman thanks for the Asterisk War impressions. I'll likely wait for it to go down, as I've seen the first season only, but it costs a bit, and I have so many games I haven't been able to play and Shiren came in as well. 

More like "free" since you have to have Plus but that's a debate for another time/thread.
Vig are you bored? Have there been too few arguments in this thread lately? I'll help. Miku sucks, censorship is the best, digital is the way of the future!

I think around $15 is where usually niche games bottom out at. I'm not talking about PSN or digital copies since those can be had for a few bucks in a good sale. $20 is my clear cut case for buying physical niches games. The lower $20s is where most games linger around. More mainstream "niche" games such as Final Fantasy games will likely reach the $10ish range. Course some bad games will get very cheap anyway like that Langrisser 3DS game. Bloodborne is so not niche it's funny.

Looks like Shovel Knight is going out of print, not sure how much longer retailers are going to carry it.
Well, I've got my 3DS copy, and my Vita is on the way soon, so I'm good. OOP is fine by me, as it's been out for while, so there's no excuse to not get in on physical if you have an interest.

Well, I've got my 3DS copy, and my Vita is on the way soon, so I'm good. OOP is fine by me, as it's been out for while, so there's no excuse to not get in on physical if you have an interest.
I'm waiting on my Vita copy as well. I think they say it'll release sometime in October. I'm pretty excited for it.

don't be that guy

I like how you say "don't be that guy" right before being "that other guy" on the opposite end of the conversation.

Tokyo mirage sessions is even better on lunatic mode. It feels even more like a SMT game and you're forced to employ different strategies if you want to survive which is what I wanted from the hardest difficulty mode. I said I was going to play other games but I'm still stuck playing this game. Damn this game is good. Liked it so much I bought the shit Special edition. I should have just bought that from the start since I knew atlus would deliver.

bread's done
Back