Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Future Tone, but I prefer the gimmicks in the PDF games over the hold buttons at the same time gimmick FT has.
I agreed 100% I think the triple notes are the most frustrating mechanic in Future Tone though. Its like my brain can't process which buttons to press fast enough.

I agreed 100% I think the triple notes are the most frustrating mechanic in Future Tone though. Its like my brain can't process which buttons to press fast enough.
Having played the arcade some while I was in Japan, I think Future Tone would would work better with an actual arcade controller. Unfortunately, I asked about that earlier in this thread, and the only options are way the heck outside of my budget...

Man, that does look pretty. I just got done saying over in the Vita thread that any game on Vita might as well be exclusive to Vita for me, but I might have to switch my pre-order to PS4. To be fair, I do have f and f 2nd on Vita if I want to play Miku on the road, so it's not like getting X for PS4 limits me as much as other games would. Hm, what to do...
The right thing to do is buy both versions.

[preview]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUTh8pyzZl0&list=PLOzRBsDgSbxx8oMLq-8wivrrgfyX0gmmT&index=20[/preview]

Oh my...after watching this footage I think I'm going to cave and buy Project Diva X. Call me a graphics whore, but I never realized how stunning the game looks in true HD on the PS4. 1080p 60 fps looks amazing even on Youtube.

The Project Diva character models just seem to suit the characters better too compared to the plastic, doll-like graphics of Future Tone. Screw it I'm going to buy it.
Yeah the graphics in this game have stepped it up significantly compared to what we're used to on the VITA games.

I always said that I would have preferred these models in FT over the ones that game has but since that was a straight

Arcade port, it was easier for them to keep those.

Can't say I'm a fan of that module though, her eyes seem sleepy... must be all the pills.

What software?
I use the Collectorz desktop apps for Movies and games. The desktop version allows you to add custom fields for location. Collectorz comes with a mobile view which lets you see some limited information about the movies/games you own. Here is my about half my collection for those of you interested in looking at it.

https://cloud.collectorz.com/kickalillas2/movies

https://cloud.collectorz.com/kickalillas2/games

As promised here are some pics of how my collection is organized/disorganized. DON'T JUDGE ME lol

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o55fpk4k8ugnh3r/AACu9a5xHyxhejYc0lhabeCoa?dl=0

I use the Collectorz desktop apps for Movies and games. The desktop version allows you to add custom fields for location. Collectorz comes with a mobile view which lets you see some limited information about the movies/games you own. Here is my about half my collection for those of you interested in looking at it.

As promised here are some pics of how my collection is organized/disorganized. DON'T JUDGE ME lol

Thanks, I'll check that software out :)

Can't import Steam games into the software? Well, definitely not buying it without that feature. There is no way I would want to ever manually input that shit anywhere. Ain't happening with my 1,000+ games.

Being able to scan barcodes to add physical games is a nice feature though.

That's a pretty neat interface. Looking at box art digitally is always nice. If anyone is looking for a backloggery alternative that does something a little similar I'd suggest checking out darkadia.com

I've thought about buying that Desdemona figure many times. I could never decide between that one or the purple version of a different one.

10156153a6.jpg

What is the demon girl one that's on the box in back on the last picture?

So I know it's not a Japanese game, but has anyone heard anything in regards to a physical release of Axiom Verge on any platform? Seems like a prime candidate for LRG...

Can't import Steam games into the software? Well, definitely not buying it without that feature. There is no way I would want to ever manually input that shit anywhere. Ain't happening with my 1,000+ games.

Being able to scan barcodes to add physical games is a nice feature though.
Aside from wanting the simplicity of having everything in a single place, what would be the benefit of importing your Steam library? Steam is probably the best designed application out there. Both desktop and mobile can show every game you own in seconds. That being said, if there was an easy way to import Steam, PSN, and Xbox Live without sharing detailed account info. I wouldn't be opposed to it. I cant

That's a pretty neat interface. Looking at box art digitally is always nice. If anyone is looking for a backloggery alternative that does something a little similar I'd suggest checking out darkadia.com

What is the demon girl one that's on the box in back on the last picture?
I'm assuming that you're referring to Knee Socks. I have her sister Scanty somewhere too. If that isn't the figure, can you copy the picture and highlight the one you are referring too?

Aside from wanting the simplicity of having everything in a single place, what would be the benefit of importing your Steam library? Steam is probably the best designed application out there. Both desktop and mobile can show every game you own in seconds. That being said, if there was an easy way to import Steam, PSN, and Xbox Live without sharing detailed account info. I wouldn't be opposed to it. I cant
Steam is rather simple as you can just have it do a profile scan if your profile is set to public. The rest aren't as big for me and I don't mind manual input as much (Maybe 50 here and 50 there). They also don't really have any public facing profile listing owned titles like Steam either.

As for why? It would be nice to have one big, searchable database with every single one of my games. Sometimes I have the same game on multiple platforms and prefer one over the other but can't always remember that I have it purchased on other platform that I may prefer.

EDIT: It also helps when you're looking to play something from a certain genre, but you aren't sure what you want to play specifically. So you can load up a list for all RPGs or Action-Adventure and just browse through it as well.

So I know it's not a Japanese game, but has anyone heard anything in regards to a physical release of Axiom Verge on any platform? Seems like a prime candidate for LRG...
Shoulda asked in the Vita and/or the LRG thread.

The answer to your question is no. The dev is interested in doing a physical release at some point, with LRG, fangamer, and yacht club games being prime candidates for publishing it

Steam is rather simple as you can just have it do a profile scan if your profile is set to public. The rest aren't as big for me and I don't mind manual input as much (Maybe 50 here and 50 there). They also don't really have any public facing profile listing owned titles like Steam either.

As for why? It would be nice to have one big, searchable database with every single one of my games. Sometimes I have the same game on multiple platforms and prefer one over the other but can't always remember that I have it purchased on other platform that I may prefer.

EDIT: It also helps when you're looking to play something from a certain genre, but you aren't sure what you want to play specifically. So you can load up a list for all RPGs or Action-Adventure and just browse through it as well.
Just from a information security position, I really don't like the idea of linking any profiles.

But I do like the idea searching by genre. It would be nice to have on those days even you feel like playing something, but don't want to dig through your collection.

Just from a information security position, I really don't like the idea of linking any profiles.
You aren't linking anything in the way you're thinking. It's literally just reading a publicly viewable webpage (if you have it set to public) and parsing information. Here's my profile to use as an example:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Draekon/

It's not like you need anything special to access my profile page. So there is no real security implications here outside of other people potentially seeing how many games you own, friends you have, groups you're in and such. You can set it back to private or friends only after the parse is complete.

A parser example would probably be this site:

https://steamdb.info/calculator/76561197970802504/?cc=us

I've spent way too much money on PC games over the years, even after discounts (I've cut back. Way back. I swear.). Most of that stats aren't really accurate for various reasons on my side, but it's pretty straight forward to use as an example.

Very nice. Those ninja turtle figures tho!

[attachment=23461:YUNOMIKUMIKU.PNG]

Hmm...for those who preordered the PS4 copy of Project Diva X it appears that the MSRP went down from $50 to $40. While my Vita copy is fine I'm seeing that the Prime Discount isn't applying to the PS4 copy on my order. Looks like this hasn't been fixed yet. Do I have to go to war with Amazon again over the freaking Prime discount like I had to with Overwatch? :wall:

attachicon.gif
YUNOMIKUMIKU.PNG

Hmm...for those who preordered the PS4 copy of Project Diva X it appears that the MSRP went down from $50 to $40. While my Vita copy is fine I'm seeing that the Prime Discount isn't applying to the PS4 copy on my order. Looks like this hasn't been fixed yet. Do I have to go to war with Amazon again over the freaking Prime discount like I had to with Overwatch? :wall:
PS4 ver of Project Diva X is $49.99 on Gamestop and Best Buy (sans GCU) websites . So it appears that Amazon is just giving a sale price off MSRP and effectively getting the 20% off. Instead of the price showing MSRP and then taking off the prime discount.

YUNOMIKUMIKU.PNG

PS4 ver of Project Diva X is $49.99 on Gamestop and Best Buy (sans GCU) websites . So it appears that Amazon is just giving a sale price off MSRP and effectively getting the 20% off. Instead of the price showing MSRP and then taking off the prime discount.
Nah, Amazon is just matching Walmart.com again: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hatsune-Miku-Project-Diva-PS4/51747223

A lot of shit this week on console. On the PC side there are a bunch that say "August" or "Summer" that I won't be listing until they have a concrete date or the week after they release in the list right below here.

Other stuff that released without warning last week that are all on PC/Steam:
- Dangerous Relationship (Visual Novel / Otome)

- Backstage Pass (Visual Novel / Otome)

- Vision of Aurora Borealis (Visual Novel)

- Ace Academy (Visual Novel / Dating Sim)

- Attack on Titan / A.O.T. Wings of Freedom (Action)

Weekly Releases (August 28th - September 3rd)

Adventure Labyrinth Story

- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: Roguelike / Capitalism
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A

- Comments: Indie game. eShop only. Roguelike spinoff of Adventure Bar Story.

Attack on Titan

- Platform(s): PS4, PS3, Vita, XB1
- Genre: Action
- Online: Online co-op only as far as I can tell.

- Comments: This released last week on the PC and has garnered decent reviews. However I have heard that there is an even better fan game that is free on PC.

God Eater 2: Rage Burst

- Platform(s): PS4, Vita, PC
- Genre: Action RPG / Monster Hunter
- Online: Yes.

- Comments: PS4 & PC pre-orders will receive God Eater: Resurrection digitally for free. It sounds like physical copies are more of a "Day One Edition", so you may be able to get one with a digital code down the road. PC seems like it will always have Resurrection bundled for free though. This doesn't seem to apply for the Vita version.

Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X

- Platform(s): PS4, Vita
- Genre: Music / Rhythm
- Demo: Yes.

- Comments: As if most of this thread doesn't already know this.

Assault Suit Leynos

- Platform(s): PS4, PC
- Genre: Sidescrolling Shooter / SHMUP

- Comments: HD Remake I think?

Strike Vector EX

- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Aerial-Combat

- Comments: PC version of Strike Vector released a long time ago and is viewed quite favorably for the flight shooter genre. However now the online servers are dead and everybody throws up negative reviews on Steam for it due to that. Xbox One version releasing at a later date.

Resident Evil 4

- Platform(s): PS4, XB1
- Genre: Survival Horror / Third-Person Shooter

- Comments: Just another Capcom port.

One Piece Burning Blood

- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Fighting

- Comments: This released on PS4 & Xbox One much earlier this year.

Cliff Hanger

- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Action

- Comments: Does not support the English language. It isn't text dependent and looks like an arcade game though.

Past Releases

August 21st - August 27th

August 14th - August 20th

August 7th - August 13th

July 31st - August 6th

July 24th - July 30th

Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X

- Platform(s): PS4, Vita
- Genre: Music / Rhythm
- Demo: Yes.

- Comments: As if most of this thread doesn't already know this.
Preorders of this are supposed to come with some sort of pouch if I remember correctly.

Preorders of this are supposed to come with some sort of pouch if I remember correctly.
Too much of a pain to keep track and look up something like that for these kinds of weekly posts. I only try and post ones that give free games or some kind of significant DLC.

I'm assuming that you're referring to Knee Socks. I have her sister Scanty somewhere too. If that isn't the figure, can you copy the picture and highlight the one you are referring too?
Yep, that was the one - thanks. Never got around to watching that show, unfortunately.

God damnit Capcom. Why the hell did you have to bring that one to consoles instead of the main series. Well, there's no guarantee that this one would make it out of the Asia region anyways. Not that I'm interested in a multiplayer-only form of Monster Hunter that will likely have bullshit attached to it.

Steam sales huh?
More or less. It also doesn't include my second account that has a couple hundred co-op/multiplayer games. Nor all the 4-packs I bought and gave away the extra copies. Pretty sure I still have a few pages in my Steam inventory filled with giftables games. Thats even after the giveaway I did four years ago on this site where I tossed a hundred or so games.

Does anyone know if Attack on Titan is going to include the online multiplayer co-op on release or will it be patched in later like it was with the Japanese version?

As much as I want a console release of Monster Hunter, I'd like it on the WiiU so I don't need to pay extra for a worthless PS+ account to play it.

Does anyone know if Attack on Titan is going to include the online multiplayer co-op on release or will it be patched in later like it was with the Japanese version?
On release.

If anyone would like to play some co-op for Attack On Titan with me, add Bleachfan333 on PSN. Thanks in advance. :)

BlazBlue: Central Fiction Limited Editions are finally up at amazon:

PS4:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L6C5OVA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PS3:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L6C5PQ4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not sure what the deal is with the price difference between PS3 and PS4. Also the 20% prime discount didnt kick in either.
Last gen games have typically been cheaper when released alongside current gen versions.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization Pre-Orders Include God Eater Costumes
15i52c6.png
SAOHR will release both Physically and Digitally on the PlayStation 4 and Digitally on the PlayStation Vita. November 8th, 2016.
Will the costumes come with the CE or is it a bonus for only digital copies? Also, I think someone mentioned that Bandai Namco keeps their pre-order dlc time-exclusive, so it probably won't be for sale later on right? I wasn't planning on getting the game at launch but really love the Asuna costumes.

Will the costumes come with the CE or is it a bonus for only digital copies? Also, I think someone mentioned that Bandai Namco keeps their pre-order dlc time-exclusive, so it probably won't be for sale later on right? I wasn't planning on getting the game at launch but really love the Asuna costumes.
GameStop shows some God Eater costumes coming with the Collector's Edition.

I'll be waiting for BlazBlue to pop up on Bestbuy. I want to take advantage of the GCU discount, especially since I read that there will be no english dub at all in the game, which makes me not want to pay full price for the game. This sucks because I really enjoyed the english dub from the previous games. Japanese voices are fine, but I really warmed up to the english cast in the previous iterations.

The non-prime-discount stuff from Amazon is how people have gotten the double discount.   It's worth putting in an order there, if you were going to buy it and have Prime.

The non-prime-discount stuff from Amazon is how people have gotten the double discount. It's worth putting in an order there, if you were going to buy it and have Prime.
The last several times I tried that, my preorder just never got the Prime discount when it became active, so I was forced to cancel then re-preorder.

The non-prime-discount stuff from Amazon is how people have gotten the double discount. It's worth putting in an order there, if you were going to buy it and have Prime.
The last several times I tried that, my preorder just never got the Prime discount when it became active, so I was forced to cancel then re-preorder.
So technically we can argue that the game's price dropped before it even came out? It's how I managed to get the discount on Overwatch saying that the game's price drop applied to their pre-order guarantee.

bread's done
Back