Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree. One of the bigger disappointments given the list of talent attached to that game.
to be fair some of the list is in name only. Like people thought studio ghibli was heavily involved when from what I recall all they did was some of the art? Which is a shame as if they could of basically made one of their movies into a game it would of been nice.

Has anyone gotten a shipping notice from Amazon yet for the ZTD watches? My GS watch shipped last week, so Amazon should have at least gotten them by now, but who knows?

I live near an Amazon fulfillment center. I'm gonna march in there and demand they hand me my watch.......who am I kidding, I'm just gonna sit at home complaining on a forum

to be fair some of the list is in name only. Like people thought studio ghibli was heavily involved when from what I recall all they did was some of the art? Which is a shame as if they could of basically made one of their movies into a game it would of been nice.
They animated a few cutscenes in the game. Less than five minutes altogether IIRC.

Best Buy shipped my Touhou Genso Rondo: Bullet Ballet LE on Friday. Now let's see what condition it arrives in.

Totally agree. One of the bigger disappointments given the list of talent attached to that game.
well i didnt recognize the talent, but was excited about it, till i played it and a couple of hours into it, started to realize that it seemed they started to cut workers and just started to cut and paste to rush it out the door, left a bad taste in my mouth but still struggled to finish it, i cant see them actually making the second one any good but as long as it isnt grind heavy and a balanced system then i will probably still pick it up when it goes on sale

I don't even care that I might have to play the Urotander song 50-100 times to get all of the modules attached to it. Holy cow, what a catchy song.
It's a fun song, yeah. Quite a few fun songs, though. I'm done with the game now, with at least 4 plays of every song in the game (normal story, hard story, normal free play, hard free play) plus the various event requests. I'm not great at the games but I got excellent on almost all of them on normal free mode when I got to that point, which was nice--even got my first Perfect on a Diva game.

Trophy-list wise...I think the first was the best. F 2nd cutting down the gift-giving frequency really killed my desire to even try for the plat. I'd have been happy to run through easy/normal mode with challenges enabled in order to buy everything, but no way am I going to keep going back and forth every 15 minutes to give gifts. fuck that. X is even worse with the randomized nature of all the accessories and such.

Still a damn good game, though, even though the best songs of F 2nd were better, IMO, and the difficulty of hard seems to have taken a step down.

This might have been mentioned before, but the on-sale DLC for LoH: Trails of Cold Steel lasts another week, so don't freak out if the store updates today and you think you missed out.

I'm just waiting for the store to update so I can be like:

200.gif

Re-reading the Carnelia books from Trails in the Sky FC because I heard that they make some references to it in Cold Steel II. Also really surprised by the standard battle theme for CS2:

[customspoiler='Trails of Cold Steel II Battle Theme']
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA8cLuYdRpE[/customspoiler]

I wanted to link the one from the Falcom youtube channel but the entire OST uses a huuuuuuuge spoiler for Cold Steel as the background image. So I hope nobody posts any CS2 music from Falcom's youtube channel.

EDIT: Aaaand Cold Steel II is on the store. The races are off. It'll probably be a while before everything else is up. Already see two free Diva X DLCs though. I'll post that stuff in a few hours once I think the store is finished updating.

Also really surprised by the standard battle theme for CS2:

[customspoiler='Trails of Cold Steel II Battle Theme']
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA8cLuYdRpE[/customspoiler]

I wanted to link the one from the Falcom youtube channel but the entire OST uses a huuuuuuuge spoiler for Cold Steel as the background image. So I hope nobody posts any CS2 music from Falcom's youtube channel.
:drool: :drool: :drool:

I'm just going to go ahead and post the free DLC currently available. If more appears, I'll amend and also post the new stuff. I want to believe that we'll see some free Cold Steel II DLC, but they haven't put any DLC up for the game yet.

September PS+ Free Games

Touhou Genso Rondo: Bullet Ballet
PS4

Limited Edition DLC Bundle (Potential price mistake?) - https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/touhou-genso-rondo-bullet-ballet-le-dlc-bundle/cid=UP1063-CUSA05257_00-TGRBBLEDLCBUNDLE
Vita
Theme - https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/themes/touhou-genso-rondo-bullet-ballet-ps-vita-theme/cid=UP1063-PCSE00947_00-UTH0000000007157

Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA X
PS4

Cabin Attendant Style 39 Module - https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/hatsune-miku-project-diva-x-cabin-attendant-style-39/cid=UP0177-CUSA04518_00-PJDXDLCMIK326019
Cabin Attendant Style A Module - https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/hatsune-miku-project-diva-x-cabin-attendant-style-a/cid=UP0177-CUSA04518_00-PJDXDLCMIK325018
Vita
Cabin Attendant Style 39 Module - https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/cabin-attendant-style-39-for-hatsune-miku-project-diva-x/cid=UP0177-PCSE00867_00-PJDXDLCMIK326019
Cabin Attendant Style A Module - https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/cabin-attendant-style-a-for-hatsune-miku-project-diva-x/cid=UP0177-PCSE00867_00-PJDXDLCMIK325018

QURARE: Magic Library
PS4

'Present for PS+ Members' (Assortment of items) - https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/present-for-members-of-playstationplus/cid=UP1219-CUSA04100_00-PLUS010000000000
Static Theme - https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/themes/qurare-magic-library-theme-(for-ps4)/cid=UP1219-CUSA04100_00-QURAREPS4THEME00

Also, the Shining Pom DLC for Trails of Cold Steel is still free for one more week. You can find direct links from my earlier post here.

EDIT: Added the 'Present for PS+ Members' regarding QURARE.

EDIT 2: Looks like the LE DLC Bundle for the Touhou game is no longer available as well as the Theme. Probably was a mistake putting it up for free available to everyone.

I saw this other thread going and just thought I'd mention it here. I use PayPal Digital Gifts when they run specials pretty often and hold onto the Best Buy gift cards until I need them. Allegedly, some CAG's are noticing their balances are being drained in the past few days. If you have some sitting around I'd suggest checking them.

I bought a new TV from Best Buy on Sunday and ended up using all of mine that I was previously holding on to for the PS4-Neo. They were still active and I'm kind of glad I burned them, now, just in case.

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/357986-paypal-digital-gift-card-security-issues-hacked-check-your-balances-asap/

I'm just going to go ahead and post the free DLC currently available. If more appears, I'll amend and also post the new stuff. I want to believe that we'll see some free Cold Steel II DLC, but they haven't put any DLC up for the game yet.

September PS+ Free Games

Touhou Genso Rondo: Bullet Ballet
PS4

Limited Edition DLC Bundle (Potential price mistake?) - https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/touhou-genso-rondo-bullet-ballet-le-dlc-bundle/cid=UP1063-CUSA05257_00-TGRBBLEDLCBUNDLE

Also, the Shining Pom DLC for Trails of Cold Steel is still free for one more week. You can find direct links from my earlier post here.
I don't know what Shining Pom is but will finally be playing that game later this year so I'll take it.

It says I'm not eligible for the Touhou dlc.

I don't know what Shining Pom is but will finally be playing that game later this year so I'll take it.

Shining Pom DLC is an item used to start a unique battle. The enemy is guaranteed to level your character no matter how much xp you need. Very helpful after level 65+ when you don't need/want to grind up to level 80 for the best carry over bonus to ToCS2.

I just did that last night, to make sure I was ready with my save file. Go team Fie.

Has anyone here ever had Amazon charge you for an order and ship it even after you cancelled it?

I got Trails of Cold Steel 2 today from Amazon and I could have sworn I cancelled it. I keep a log of every game I order, and if I cancel an order I go into my log and delete the entry of what retailer I had a pre-order from. My Amazon entry was deleted, and I was so sure I cancelled the order weeks ago.

I could be mistaken, but just curious if that has happened to anyone before.

Probably was mistakenly put up for free temporarily. It included the Vita theme as well as the DLC titled "Aya Shameimaru: Additional Story & BGM" which is up for $2.99 currently. The Theme has been removed too.

I could be mistaken, but just curious if that has happened to anyone before.
Nope, but I have had orders shipped that I thought I cancelled but never did after checking through my email for a cancellation email. Either that or for some reason I had two orders placed separately for some reason.

I saw this other thread going and just thought I'd mention it here. I use PayPal Digital Gifts when they run specials pretty often and hold onto the Best Buy gift cards until I need them. Allegedly, some CAG's are noticing their balances are being drained in the past few days. If you have some sitting around I'd suggest checking them.

I bought a new TV from Best Buy on Sunday and ended up using all of mine that I was previously holding on to for the PS4-Neo. They were still active and I'm kind of glad I burned them, now, just in case.

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/357986-paypal-digital-gift-card-security-issues-hacked-check-your-balances-asap/
I just did pretty much the same thing after reading that warning. I just bought more gift cards this past week, but figured I didn't want to risk it so I just went ahead and pre-ordered a couple games for this month I was going to wait on. Luckily, the gift cards I got during the last promo I mostly spent on preorders already. I may have had one remaining dollar at most I lost.

Only thing I've bought recently has been itunes/steam/psn/etc credit and redeemed them just after purchasing so I'm good. Thanks for the heads up though =)

Didn't see this posted, here's an unboxing of Touhou Genso Rondo: Bullet Ballet LE. I'd suggest skip around since this person spends have the time talking about the sides of the game. I got mine today from Best Buy and it was mint. NIS America did a good job on the packaging this LE.

https://youtu.be/weAq6ZPOyVs

Slowly my September is becoming more affordable while my October is terrible...looks like just MeiQ and DQ7 this month.
Mine looks to be MeiQ and Trails of Cold Steel II. Of course it allowed me to snag some cheap Japanese PSP games to play on my modded PSP. So my PSP collection grew thanks to cheap PSP games from SolarisJapan, and fan translators. I was looking forward to Criminal Girls 2. My heart still holds hope we get Moe Crystal. =(

Didn't see this posted, here's an unboxing of Touhou Genso Rondo: Bullet Ballet LE. I'd suggest skip around since this person spends have the time talking about the sides of the game. I got mine today from Best Buy and it was mint. NIS America did a good job on the packaging this LE.

https://youtu.be/weAq6ZPOyVs
Thanks for the unboxing video. I asked NISA to bundle mine with Criminal Girls 2 since I only got the $50 version of CG2 and wanted free shipping for both items.

Now that CG2 has been delayed I guess I have to wait a bit longer than expected.

Heh. The hack made me look up my gift cards.

I have cards from March that I apparently haven't used.

So a total of $200 Best Buy and $50 eBay that I've forgotten about. On top of some physical Best Buy ones.

I was wondering why I didn't get a shipping email for Touhou yet, but I forgot that I also bought Pyscho-Pass in the same order.

Guess I'll get both next week then.

Nooooo how is it that Best Buy sold out of Cold Steel 2??? Does anyone know if this happened to the first one and they got a restock? They seem to have copies of 1, but not 2. I have GCU and would prefer to get it from BB if possible...

Nooooo how is it that Best Buy sold out of Cold Steel 2??? Does anyone know if this happened to the first one and they got a restock? They seem to have copies of 1, but not 2. I have GCU and would prefer to get it from BB if possible...
Unfortunately with Best Buy anything niche now is not being heavily stocked.

I also somehow got an order for Criminal Girls 2 on NISA. I was going to post here about it...but it seemed that lone copy I got was it for that part. Glad I got to use my NISA points (paid for tax and shipping). Got lucky for sure! These days anything Vita and anything niche....care for them.....unless it's on PS4 and not limited (such as LRG), don't wait on things.....unless you really don't want them. PS4 niche games do seem to go down in price though and some 3DS/Vita games like Trillion. It's a gamble for sure.

I'm taking the gamble for SMTIV sequel, Corpse Party, and possibly Exist Archive and maybe World of Final Fantasy. I can guess all of those except for Exist Archive are almost guaranteed to drop. It's a gamble....but yup....Best Buy get niche games early unless they are 3DS.

I actually like that IFI generally includes something unique in their LEs such as the the pillowcase or boob mousepad for MeiQ (I would get every LE with these ever!). I also like that the game seems more of an RPG....I thought it was an action game like Neptunia U (kind of meh on these games). Too much for my blood, but IFI does consistently make pretty good LEs.

I like Iffy CEs because they make them pretty easy to pass on.  Therefore I can wait and get the games for ~$20 and put that money toward other pantheon-type games collector's editions instead. 

Iffy game prices do drop often....still waiting for Blanc vs Zombies to go down....but they do drop often. 

Re-reading the Carnelia books from Trails in the Sky FC was a good choice before starting Cold Steel II for me. It's a pretty amusing story and ties into some Cold Steel II lore you run into. Anybody going through Cold Steel II, you should probably take some extra time and read through them. If you don't own the first game, you can just read them online here:

http://trails.wikia.com/wiki/Category:FC_Books

It doesn't spoil anything about Trails in the Sky at all. It's just a story that takes place in Erebonia. Granted it's also possible to not run into the lore that ties into story in the book as well since it's not main story really.

Unfortunately with Best Buy anything niche now is not being heavily stocked.
Well, cold steel 1 vanilla and its le was but this time I guess not. Probably due to the systems being dated its releasing on made them print fewer copies this time around.

I'd suggest keeping an eye on cruchyroll as they may do a sale like they did for the first game if they didn't already. Last year I got the first game from them for 30$

bread's done
Back