Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't play on PC, i play it on ps4. Didn't known a cag ps4 community existed for it, I'm in the niche cag one but thats pretty dead.

Been playing OW since Beta quite religiously & I've spent $0 on loot boxes.

Sure there's a ton of skins I WISH I had, but it doesn't stop me from constantly reminding you It's High Noon!
Same, I can't justify purchasing Loot Boxes when you still get duplicates. I've missed out on every costume I would've liked to have but I wasn't honestly gonna use them anyway. Unless they have some Summer Beach Event with swimsuits for the waifus then all bets are off.

What if I were to say that I just bought Battlefield 1? Would that entice you to buy it too? Only $34 at Target.

giphy.gif
If I'm able to price match it at Best Buy then yes I will, but I'm seeing it as full price on Target's site.

y8s2wOI.gif

Well gosh, guess the Overwatch squad is moving over to battlefield. Guess I'm gonna actually have to play that copy I've put like 3 hours into now :p
Then we can do a World of Tanks squad and be all Girls und Panzer dancing the Anglefish song together!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPv_ZmhwQ40

Finally finished Xenoverse. Last skill was troll as fuck. Guide I used for every other skill said 100x Big Bang Kamehameha dropped from Vegito....instead it dropped from Gotenks randomly when I accidentally killed him after hours of grinding Vegito unsuccessfully.

I don't play on PC, i play it on ps4. Didn't known a cag ps4 community existed for it, I'm in the niche cag one but thats pretty dead.
The Overwatch one is... Also kinda dead... I never play by myself, but I usually just hop into BlackRockWaifu's party if I see he's playing Overwatch and I'm not currently drowning in my schoolwork or my part time job.

Ya i got most Halloween legendary costumes from like 8 pumpkins , usually 2 costumes in one shot or nothing. I didn't get mercy or the dynamite guy thou because i decided to save some crates for what Christmas might have.
My favorite being the Frankenstein roadhog & pumpkin grim reaper dude. Also
I don't think saving crates works like that. The loot is determined when you get them, not when you open them. Unless you mean you held off on buying them or leveling up.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745045941#post-7

If I'm able to price match it at Best Buy then yes I will, but I'm seeing it as full price on Target's site.

y8s2wOI.gif

Then we can do a World of Tanks squad and be all Girls und Panzer dancing the Anglefish song together!!
First of all, I would like to know what that last gif on the right is from.

Secondly, I'm afraid you won't be able to price match it, but the deal is easy to do online. It ends tonight though. Buy 3 games with the Buy 2 Get 1 Free promo, can be any 3 $60 game, even 3 BF1s. Use a coupon (you can get it from the Target Wishlist App, takes 30 seconds) for 10% off. Finally, check out, and it should be $120 with tax, shipping is free. Go into your order, and cancel the other 2 games, or keep them and sell them, if you cancel it, should come out to around $34, with Red Card 5% off, it will be $31. Honestly, you can do this with any of the $60 games, even a niche one. Credits to the Target thread.

Third, if you get it then we could be:

kyJJDOT.jpg

So whaddya say?

47441-date-a-live-kotori-itsuka-asking-for-help.gif

No pressure.

Aw it doesn't!? I have two unopened crates aquired during October so maybe it's more Halloween stuff in them?
Yeah, it's been said even officially that the loot saves the timestamp.
It's funny you guys mention OW, because I think EdJericho, that name, sounds extremely familiar, think the guy was on one of my first boosting sessions (terrible failure).
As much as I loved D.Va and shit, I couldn't play anymore after the platinum, I hate random loot, guess GTA Online spoiled me and I'm not into sticker albums anymore (same concept).

Just want to mention that you are right, I actually think almost all the regulars here play Overwatch. There's an OW Ps4 community with Thatguy, Olengie, Draco, Edjericho, Midori, and a few others. I know for sure, you, Pheria, Draekon, Nitrosmob, Neomonk, Vic, Wiggles, Texan, and August play on PC. I'm gonna guess Snake, Lakers, Davey, Supplice and Whoknows have tried it at one point. Am I missing anyone? Sorry if I did.
I play on PS4 actually. If I ever finish building my PC I'll switch over, but currently saving my dosh for my Japan work trip next year. Wish I had more time to play, though. I only get on for a couple hours at a time usually well after midnight.

I played Overwatch at a friend's house and liked it, but haven't picked it up yet due to the ever-expanding backlog. Though, with Black Friday around the corner, I might just wait to see what the sales will be like. I'm expecting to Battlefield 1 to drop in price around then as well.

Definitely into playing either game with people here, once I buy them. 

XSeed seems to have added five apps to Steam when they added Xanadu Next. One of the unknown apps is likely Senran Kagura: Bon Appetit. No clue what the other four are for, but it's always nice to see more games on PC.

Also beat Xanadu NEXT. Was quite fun, but did encounter a few more insignificant bugs that will likely get ironed out in the near future. May go through the post-game dungeon, but I'll wait until later I think. Surprised that the game kept stats to display on the win screen, but a few seem to be wrong (I got hit for more damage than that in the final dungeon alone and Steam tells me I've played for 17 hours.):

xanadu.png

The game definitely is one of those "I'll play for a quick 15 minutes." only to end up playing for at least an hour. It's pretty addicting despite that it's an older style of game. Most of my deaths were from not noticing I was on low health or I got repeatedly hit very hard and very quickly. The final dungeon was also pretty well designed I think. It's also decently puzzle heavy compared to games these days. Definitely recommend the game to those interested.

Anyone playing the PC version of Overwatch can also feel free to add me if they want another to play with. I don't play late night and don't tend to start sessions after 9PM Central. You can get my tag via PM or check the PC sections Overwatch thread which also has it listed. Just shoot me a message if you see me on battle.net and I usually jump over.

Shuumatsu no Izetta has really been making me want to get Battlefield 1 sooner rather than later. Now if only it were possible to play a Mahou Shoujo in that game and do all of this, hell she could even be one of the Behemoth that turns the tide for the losing team.
B-but Izetta is WW2...

The new Overwatch update is going to piss me off because I can't shit comp in quick play. Have to use a mode where I can only get 3 loot boxes a week.

Anyway my Psycho Pass came in which I imported from Hong Kong for the One for $25. After installation, game defaults to English, all is well.

Forgot about this. Guess I was too absorbed in Xanadu NEXT yesterday to pre-write this. No particularly big hitters this week, but I know many were looking forward to Root Letter. On Western releases we have Dishonored 2 and Tyranny which I'm really looking forward to.

Other stuff that released without warning last week that are all on PC/Steam:
- Anime Studio Simulator (Simulation / Visual Novel)

Weekly Releases (November 6th - November 12th)

Harvest Moon: Skytree Village
- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: Simulation / Strategy?
- Demo: N/A
- Online: Streetpass probably.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita
- Genre: RPG
- Online: Yes.

Root Letter
- Genre: Visual Novel / Mystery / Adventure
- Online: N/A

Trillion: God of Destruction
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: RPG / Simulation / Roguelike
- Comments: Previously released on the Vita.

One Night Stand
- Genre: Visual Novel / Simulation
- Comments: Simulation? Wat. Why is it tagged as such on Steam.

CAFE 0 ~The Sleeping Beast~
- Genre: Visual Novel / Mystery

Senran Kagura: Bon Appétit Full Course
- Genre: Rhythm

- Comments: Previously released on Vita.

AL・FINE
- Genre: Simulation / RPG
- Comments: This looks like it could be interesting. Recettear-ish.

Past Releases
October 30th - November 5th
October 23rd - October 29th
October 16th - October 22nd
October 9th - October 15th
October 2nd - October 8th

EDIT: Added in Senran Kagura: Bon Appétit Full Course.

Have to use a mode where I can only get 3 loot boxes a week.
You don't get loot boxes from any other mode though, even prior to this update? They're just incentivizing you to play the playlists a little bit each week so they don't have particularly long queue times. Granted I don't think they should require three wins. Maybe one per playlist on a win, with up to three possible to earn per week.

I've heard a couple people suggest that there won't be experience in Arcade, but I've seen no proof of these claims either. It would be incredibly dumb if they removed experience from Arcade and it would completely kill the playlist. So you'd still get experience as normal when playing. I just hope they give it that little bit extra that Brawl was missing to match Quick Play/Competitive.

Is Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax (PS3 version) worth picking up? Is it a decent 2D fighter or not worth the time?
It's a really decent fighter, plays a lot like Arcana Heart or P4A if you've ever tried those. I mainly play the Vita version, which it also runs terrific on. The arcade mode is really fun, and the story is kinda cool too, it's a bit simple but the character interactions are really nice if you recognize most of the characters from their respective animes. In terms of gameplay, it's easy to chain combos, and do supers and stuff, but there's also a ton of depth if you choose to explore with other assists.

It also comes with a soundtrack CD if you buy it new/day one version, so be on the lookout for that if you are buying it in-store. There is also an updated version, Ignition, which never got released in the West, and probably will never be. Definitely recommend the game! I've bought it 3 times for some reason, and actually played some matches with a CAG once online.

It's a really decent fighter, plays a lot like Arcana Heart or P4A if you've ever tried those.
Thanks! I'll definitely pick it up (and I'll be on the lookout for a new copy with the CD soundtrack). Nice to hear that the chain combos/supers are easy to pull off...that was one of the issues I've always had with some fighting games, like how difficult it was to pull off fatalities in a few of the Mortal Kombat titles.

When the teaser was shown I had a feeling the characters would be figmas. I can already foresee the main villain.

23d4645e5aa7e26c3265bb660fe66b2c.jpg

Is Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax (PS3 version) worth picking up? Is it a decent 2D fighter or not worth the time?
I had the original Japanese copy when it came out and was able to Platinum the game without any troubles. I suggest importing the PS4 version Ignition since it has more characters, the only issue is that the game is in Japanese but there's sites that have the important menus translated as well as YouTube videos of the story mode translated if you care about what they say in the story (it's nothing special really). I haven't gotten Ignition since I assumed Sega of America was gonna localize at the very least the PS4 version since the remaining translation shouldn't be as much trouble since the vanilla version already translated pretty much everything but the new content. It honestly surprises me they didn't.

Needs more of this.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2SJjnyTojo[/media]
Sumire Uesaka and Hisako Kanemoto did a good job singing this that even Vladimir Putin himself would be proud.

B-but Izetta is WW2...
I was expecting someone to mention this.

Yeah, it's been said even officially that the loot saves the timestamp.
It's funny you guys mention OW, because I think EdJericho, that name, sounds extremely familiar, think the guy was on one of my first boosting sessions (terrible failure).
As much as I loved D.Va and shit, I couldn't play anymore after the platinum, I hate random loot, guess GTA Online spoiled me and I'm not into sticker albums anymore (same concept).
Yeah it was me, that session was pretty bad. lol It's good to hear you were able to get Platinum for the game in the end tho. I'm still missing the 50 items for a hero achievement which I can hopefully get soon enough.

Forgot about this. Guess I was too absorbed in Xanadu NEXT yesterday to pre-write this. No particularly big hitters this week, but I know many were looking forward to Root Letter. On Western releases we have Dishonored 2 and Tyranny which I'm really looking forward to.

Other stuff that released without warning last week that are all on PC/Steam:
- Anime Studio Simulator (Simulation / Visual Novel)

Weekly Releases (November 6th - November 12th)

Root Letter
- Genre: Visual Novel / Mystery / Adventure
I'd highly recommend not getting this. You can finish the first route within 7~ hours and each additional route only changes content in the last two chapters. I was very excited for this game, but was disappointed at its length and how bs the endings can be. The art and (for the most part) the music is really nice though.

OMG, if anyone was watching the Redbull SFV Championship finals just now, AKUMA IS CONFIRMED FOR SFV!!!!! Excited since he was my main in every SF game I've played, and I wasn't sure if he would make it in anytime soon since he was in Tekken. WOOOOOO!!!!!

I'd highly recommend not getting this. You can finish the first route within 7~ hours and each additional route only changes content in the last two chapters. I was very excited for this game, but was disappointed at its length and how bs the endings can be. The art and (for the most part) the music is really nice though.
I'm sorry to hear that as I like the art for it quite a bit. I also love visual novels with slightly more mature stories....

OMG, if anyone was watching the Redbull SFV Championship finals just now, AKUMA IS CONFIRMED FOR SFV!!!!! Excited since he was my main in every SF game I've played, and I wasn't sure if he would make it in anytime soon since he was in Tekken. WOOOOOO!!!!!
Just saw the trailer. The wording in the trailer made it sound like it's Shin Akuma. Maybe it's just regular Akuma, and his trigger would make him Shin. It'd be a neat mechanic.

I didn't notice this when it went live yesterday, but VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action is on sale at 33% off ($10.04) on Steam for roughly 26 more hours:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/447530/

Seems like its the first sale since its release. Supposedly it'll be out on Vita at some point, but no specifics.

I didn't notice this when it went live yesterday, but VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action is on sale at 33% off ($10.04) on Steam for roughly 26 more hours:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/447530/

Seems like its the first sale since its release. Supposedly it'll be out on Vita at some point, but no specifics.
I have a hard time buying this knowing that it was $5 for a while on itch.io before it was released on steam (steam keys were provided to itch.io buyers)

Just saw the trailer. The wording in the trailer made it sound like it's Shin Akuma. Maybe it's just regular Akuma, and his trigger would make him Shin. It'd be a neat mechanic.
Yeah, some people were saying that as well in the chat. Way before Akuma was announced, I thought of a concept of how he would fit into this game. His demon flip would be his V-Skill, and he would have all the options off of it from USF4. He has no active teleport, but his V-Reversal could be like Fang's, and teleports him to the other side. And his V-Trigger would be Shin-mode, letting him cancel any normals into teleport, into another normal, or cancel into demon. It uh... seems cooler in my head...

Of course i can think of a dozen ports tho.
The ports are, almost certainly, what they are referring to. Exclusives like Street Fighter V and Dead Rising 3+4 are almost certainly out of the question. Not only are they currently platform-exclusives, but they would also likely require more performance than the Switch is capable of delivering.

Some of the legacy Capcom ports that have been showing up are a much more viable option for the Switch. The older Resident Evil titles, and Dead Rising 1+2 are easy candidates for some early Switch ports. All of those titles are originally designed to run on older hardware, and should be able to scale fairly easily for running on the Switch. Having a series of $20 titles available early on for the Switch would be popular with most gamers, and would give Capcom an easy and inexpensive foothold on the Switch.

anyone preordered Sword Art Online Hollow Realization Collector's Edition at Bestbuy?  I have preorder for instore pickup, but it's not ready for pickup.

Weekly Free PSN DLC:

GOD EATER 2: Rage Burst

PS4

Alternate Character Set (Costumes) - https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/god-eater-2-rage-burst-alternate-character-set/cid=UP0700-CUSA03305_00-GE2RB00000000002

Vita

Alternate Character Set (Costumes) - https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/god-eater-2-rage-burst-alternate-character-set/cid=UP0700-PCSE00789_00-GE2RB00000000002

Miscellaneous

PS4

Playstation Store 10th Anniversary Theme (Static) - https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/themes/playstation-store-10th-anniversary-theme/cid=UT0016-CUSA06833_00-UTH0000000007180

Also, forgot to link the November PS+ Sub's Free Games last week. GOD EATER 2 was a very late show last Tuesday or didn't show up via normal means when I originally searched. So I added it this week.

Ugh I placed an order through White Rabbit on Friday for the Nier Automata Black Box and I guess they didn't process it until yesterday and coincidentally the JP Square Enix site stopped preorders or ran out over the weekend so I can't order it anymore.

fuck me for waiting so long, now it looks like I'll have to resort to eBay for scalper prices.

Ugh I placed an order through White Rabbit on Friday for the Nier Automata Black Box and I guess they didn't process it until yesterday and coincidentally the JP Square Enix site stopped preorders or ran out over the weekend so I can't order it anymore.

fuck me for waiting so long, now it looks like I'll have to resort to eBay for scalper prices.
I'm probably delusional from no sleep, but maybe, just maybe, Square Enix USA will pull through and give us a Nier 2 CE with that figure.

I'm probably delusional from no sleep, but maybe, just maybe, Square Enix USA will pull through and give us a Nier 2 CE with that figure.
Actually knowing them they'll give us the figure without all the other bonuses and still charge a premium. The thing I like about this is the packaging and other stuff, they always put their effort and quality into this series. Case in point, the JP Drakengard 3 LE. EASILY my favorite LE I own.

bread's done
Back