Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Overwatch Christmas Event has started.

Twitter Link

[customspoiler='A Video With No D.Va Costume']https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gjn0ObXWak[/customspoiler]

[customspoiler='Event Image']
overwatchchristmas1.png
[/customspoiler]

[customspoiler='List of New Skins']
Lucio - Epic (Andes - Just a teal shaded tint of his normal skin with santa hat)
McCree - Epic (Scrooge - Pretty nice.)
Mei - Legendary (MEI-RRY - Mrs. Claus, but not much different than what she normally wears. Ice Block has a snowman on top of it.)
Pharah - Epic (Frostbite - Really cool)
Reaper - Epic (Shiver - Decent, kinda Lich King)
Roadhog - Epic (Rudolph - Hohohog + Candy Cane Hook)
Sombra - Epic (Peppermint - Red/White/Green, decent)
Torbjorn - Legendary (Santaclad - fucking Santa)
Tracer - Legendary (Jingle - Green Elf; Looks nice)
Winston - Legendary (Yeti - A fucking Yeti. Really nice looking)
Zarya - Epic (Frosted - One of her better looking skins)
Zenyatta - Legendary (Nutcracker - Oh god, his orbs have become walnuts)[/customspoiler]

I'll edit in links to skin images once there's a single link with all of them. Hopefully it'll include new emotes and such too. Three of the five legendary skins are also shown in the twitter image.

Guess it's time for me to start playing again. I want all of the legendary skins and at least a few of the epic ones.

EDIT: Album of pictures for all the skins.

EDIT 2: Symmetra changes are also live, along with the new map.
Being a D.Va main is truly suffering.

n8rsyrVe981rb06tgo1_250_zpsxtugj9hk.gif

Still can't wait to play with BlackRockWaifu and my fellow CAG nakama here later tonight!

20% off on Amazon trumps NISA's no tax and 5% Rewards back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5_wCsDf_Hs

Stole this from Ferrari Racer but too good to pass up.

oh my god the Torbjorn Santa Claus is great lol!  The Yeti and the Nutcracker skins are straight up awesome too!  Well it looks like I know what I'll have to play for the next three weeks.   Gotta catch em all. 

I thought about using it, but the only thing I really wanted was VLR, which would have saved like $1.50. Someone else could have made much better use of it.

The Mei brawl is really lame. Just not very fun at all.
I'm 50/50 on it. My first two games I did really well, but was on a team of idiots. Third game I did shit but was on an amazing team. It's about on par with Lucio Ball, however I would change the amount of rounds to be a best of 3 instead of 5. Also make the recharge bar not deplete if you let up on gathering snow.

Maybe a small arena map like the Lucio Ball map with a dodgeball like style using snowballs may have been better.

Yay I got the new Reaper skin in my first freebie box! lol
Mine was worse, kinda. Opened it, saw legendary color.... and then it's a god damn coin chest. At least it wasn't a duplicate.

Why must that Nier Automata Black Box Edition be overpriced and SE Store exclusive. I hate their store... spend 200$ and you still get no free shipping.

Ooh~ Nice. I'm probably not gonna double dip on Sophie since I didn't enjoy it too much. But I was disappointed when Nights of Azure didn't come over for the vita so this makes up for it. It'd be nice if it was well optimized with 60fps. One can dream.
If I recall isn't nights of azure getting either a sequel or enhanced rerelease or both? I remember it didn't fair well word of mouth wise which was disappointing so I passed on it. Especially with how quick its price dropped.

Sophie wise the plus version is on its away anyway so if there were any reason to double dip it'd be that I would imagine.

If I recall isn't nights of azure getting either a sequel or enhanced rerelease or both? I remember it didn't fair well word of mouth wise which was disappointing so I passed on it. Especially with how quick its price dropped.
There is Night of Azure 2 coming out in Jan in Jp and coming west later.

I'm 50/50 on it. My first two games I did really well, but was on a team of idiots. Third game I did shit but was on an amazing team. It's about on par with Lucio Ball, however I would change the amount of rounds to be a best of 3 instead of 5. Also make the recharge bar not deplete if you let up on gathering snow.

Maybe a small arena map like the Lucio Ball map with a dodgeball like style using snowballs may have been better.
When I read the overview on what it was, I was excited it'd be like having the golden gun in Goldeneye, but it just feels empty. It'd be pretty fun if you could actually respawn and they treated it like a traditional deathmatch mode and kept the snowball mechanics. As it is, it's just something I won't go back to. Would've loved another PvE mode as well.

Sophie wise the plus version is on its away anyway so if there were any reason to double dip it'd be that I would imagine.
Yea Nights of Azure is just getting a sequel. I don't think they will make an enhanced port for the first one.

As for Sophie there will be no plus version since this one was already made for the vita and PS4 simultaneously so i don't think there will be another version of Sophie. If you want it this is the final version. Atleast this is the consensus they made us believe

As for Sophie there will be no plus version since this one was already made for the vita and PS4 simultaneously so i don't think there will be another version of Sophie. If you want it this is the final version. Atleast this is the consensus they made us believe
Pretty sure you're correct. I haven't actually heard GUST say it directly (They may have), but Koei Tecmo, their publisher, has. They've already released a narrative driven DLC area in Japan, which has yet to be released in English. So it somewhat supports the idea that there's no plus version as well. They usually don't have a whole lot more than the base game plus whatever DLC is already out for it. The main exception to this would obviously be Rorona.

It's also out on PC, but I wouldn't expect this to get localized. It's a free to play spinoff with the former bit on why it's likely not going to be localized. While it is a spinoff though, it does take place in the same world as the Kiseki/Trails games and even introduces a new area on top of taking place in Liberl/Crossbell regions. So it introduces new lore unfortunately, but if the main series doesn't make use it of then I don't really care much.

Slightly unrelated, Trails in the Sky FC & SC received a recent update on PC. Outside of the minor bug fixes and what not, they also revamped the Monster Guide as well as back-ported the ability to skip S-Craft animations that was added in Trails in the Sky the 3rd.

[customspoiler='Full Patch Notes']
Good morning! We've uploaded a few new patches to Trails in the Sky and Trails in the Sky Second Chapter on PC over last week, with details on what was implemented (including the addition of a "skip S-Craft animation" feature!) below. As always, if you come across any issues, feel free to write all the details you can at [email protected] and we'll do our best to look into it. These updates are live on Steam, and GOG will also soon receive it as well, so please sit tight!

Trails in the Sky
- Added an option to the Options Menu for Orbment Style; this allows the player to use colored Orbment lines like in all later games and more recent versions. This is much more convenient and easy to understand than the game's classic implementation.
- Three styles are provided: the original single-colored style from the Japanese PC release, a basic colored style that keeps the original aesthetic largely intact, and a style that is more similar to later games.
-Slightly rearranged the Options Menu to put the voice toggle with the rest of the sound options.
- Added an indicator for the default volume levels in the Options Menu, similar to SC and later.
- Updated Arts and Crafts descriptions to standardize them and fix some oversights.
- Fixed a couple of minor typos in item descriptions.
- Fixed a long-standing bug where menu descriptions could mysteriously go missing when moving between sections of the in-game main menu.
- Completely revamped the Monster Guide on a code level, which gave it a lot of improvements under the hood. Outdated names and descriptions have been fixed, the layout has been cleaned up, and text will no longer appear misaligned. Status resistance display will also no longer appear glitched when there is a certain number of resistances. Additionally, area labels will look slightly cleaner now, and the arrows on the side of the Guide window will slightly move to acknowledge highlighting. The last boss' page in the guide has a slightly altered layout. Additionally, a couple of minor ease-of-use improvements were made to allow the Monster Guide to flip cleanly between the first and last monster entries when using the mouse. Lastly, boss names will consistently appear in red in FC as they do in SC.
- Implemented S-Craft animation skipping. This can be triggered through use of the cancel button, whatever it may be. On keyboard, this defaults to the Escape key. On mouse, this defaults to Right Click. When triggered, the screen will go dark briefly, and then the S-Craft's effects will immediately resolve without further lengthy animation. Any bugs with battle animations or skipping should be reported.
- The information display window for enemies in battle has been massively revamped. It should now appear cleaner, better aligned, and easier to read. This should also bring more consistency between how information is displayed for certain monsters.
- Some fixes have been made to the game's graphics engine to hopefully prevent the game from choosing the wrong color depth when running in full screen display modes.
- An obscure bug has been fixed in which using a combination of mouse and keyboard or gamepad to open the in-game main menu in quick succession could result in the menu bar disappearing, potentially resulting in an inescapable soft lock.

Trails in the Sky Second Chapter
- Implemented a lot of minor changes and corrections to dialogue throughout the game.
- Slightly rearranged the Options Menu to put the voice toggle with the rest of the sound options.
- Updated Arts and Crafts descriptions to standardize them and fix some oversights.
- Fixed a long-standing bug where menu descriptions could mysteriously go missing when moving between sections of the in-game main menu.
- Completely revamped the Monster Guide on a code level, which gave it a lot of improvements under the hood. Outdated names and descriptions have been fixed, the layout has been cleaned up, and text will no longer appear misaligned. Status resistance display will also no longer appear glitched when there is a certain number of resistances. Additionally, area labels will look slightly cleaner now, and the arrows on the side of the Guide window will slightly move to acknowledge highlighting. Some bosses' pages in the guide have a slightly altered layout. Additionally, a couple of minor ease-of-use improvements were made to allow the Monster Guide to flip cleanly between the first and last monster entries when using the mouse.
- Implemented S-Craft animation skipping. This can be triggered through use of the cancel button, whatever it may be. On keyboard, this defaults to the Escape key. On mouse, this defaults to Right Click. When triggered, the screen will go dark briefly, and then the S-Craft's effects will immediately resolve without further lengthy animation. Any bugs with battle animations or skipping should be reported.
- The information display window for enemies in battle has been massively revamped. It should now appear cleaner, better aligned, and easier to read. This should also bring more consistency between how information is displayed for certain monsters.
- Some fixes have been made to the game's graphics engine to hopefully prevent the game from choosing the wrong color depth when running in full screen display modes.
- A certain character near the end of the game can now correctly wear gender-restricted equipment.
- Several bugs related to Estelle's EXP when starting a new game while loading Clear Data have been fixed.
- Fixed an issue where a white square would occasionally appear in place of a "Now Loading" sprite.
- Fixed an issue where Kevin would get an accidental haircut on the top of his battle portrait when suffering from critical health.
- The tabs in the Bracer Book will now appear much sharper when HD Assets are enabled.
- Retry Offset feature should now work correctly in all situations and for all users.
- The "Baby, Come Back" achievement related to treasure chests is now completely fixed.
- Fixed an issue where Estelle's portrait in the menu could appear incorrectly when HD Assets are disabled.[/customspoiler]

EDIT: Steam has also added full controller support for the Dualshock 4 controller. Hopefully developers start to make use of it and include it natively in games, much like the Xbox controller is. That's not to say you can't already use use the controller. This just gives the developers more tools for controller support on Steamworks titles.

Pretty sure you're correct. I haven't actually heard GUST say it directly (They may have), but Koei Tecmo, their publisher, has. They've already released a narrative driven DLC area in Japan, which has yet to be released in English. So it somewhat supports the idea that there's no plus version as well. They usually don't have a whole lot more than the base game plus whatever DLC is already out for it. The main exception to this would obviously be Rorona.

It's also out on PC, but I wouldn't expect this to get localized. It's a free to play spinoff with the former bit on why it's likely not going to be localized. While it is a spinoff though, it does take place in the same world as the Kiseki/Trails games and even introduces a new area on top of taking place in Liberl/Crossbell regions. So it introduces new lore unfortunately, but if the main series doesn't make use it of then I don't really care much.

Slightly unrelated, Trails in the Sky FC & SC received a recent update on PC. Outside of the minor bug fixes and what not, they also revamped the Monster Guide as well as back-ported the ability to skip S-Craft animations that was added in Trails in the Sky the 3rd.

[customspoiler="Full Patch Notes"]
Good morning! We've uploaded a few new patches to Trails in the Sky and Trails in the Sky Second Chapter on PC over last week, with details on what was implemented (including the addition of a "skip S-Craft animation" feature!) below. As always, if you come across any issues, feel free to write all the details you can at [email protected] and we'll do our best to look into it. These updates are live on Steam, and GOG will also soon receive it as well, so please sit tight!

Trails in the Sky
- Added an option to the Options Menu for Orbment Style; this allows the player to use colored Orbment lines like in all later games and more recent versions. This is much more convenient and easy to understand than the game's classic implementation.
- Three styles are provided: the original single-colored style from the Japanese PC release, a basic colored style that keeps the original aesthetic largely intact, and a style that is more similar to later games.
-Slightly rearranged the Options Menu to put the voice toggle with the rest of the sound options.
- Added an indicator for the default volume levels in the Options Menu, similar to SC and later.
- Completely revamped the Monster Guide on a code level, which gave it a lot of improvements under the hood. Outdated names and descriptions have been fixed, the layout has been cleaned up, and text will no longer appear misaligned. Status resistance display will also no longer appear glitched when there is a certain number of resistances. Additionally, area labels will look slightly cleaner now, and the arrows on the side of the Guide window will slightly move to acknowledge highlighting. The last boss' page in the guide has a slightly altered layout. Additionally, a couple of minor ease-of-use improvements were made to allow the Monster Guide to flip cleanly between the first and last monster entries when using the mouse. Lastly, boss names will consistently appear in red in FC as they do in SC.
- An obscure bug has been fixed in which using a combination of mouse and keyboard or gamepad to open the in-game main menu in quick succession could result in the menu bar disappearing, potentially resulting in an inescapable soft lock.

Trails in the Sky Second Chapter
- Implemented a lot of minor changes and corrections to dialogue throughout the game.
- Slightly rearranged the Options Menu to put the voice toggle with the rest of the sound options.
- Completely revamped the Monster Guide on a code level, which gave it a lot of improvements under the hood. Outdated names and descriptions have been fixed, the layout has been cleaned up, and text will no longer appear misaligned. Status resistance display will also no longer appear glitched when there is a certain number of resistances. Additionally, area labels will look slightly cleaner now, and the arrows on the side of the Guide window will slightly move to acknowledge highlighting. Some bosses' pages in the guide have a slightly altered layout. Additionally, a couple of minor ease-of-use improvements were made to allow the Monster Guide to flip cleanly between the first and last monster entries when using the mouse.
- A certain character near the end of the game can now correctly wear gender-restricted equipment.
- Several bugs related to Estelle's EXP when starting a new game while loading Clear Data have been fixed.
- Fixed an issue where a white square would occasionally appear in place of a "Now Loading" sprite.
- Fixed an issue where Kevin would get an accidental haircut on the top of his battle portrait when suffering from critical health.
- The tabs in the Bracer Book will now appear much sharper when HD Assets are enabled.
- Retry Offset feature should now work correctly in all situations and for all users.
- The "Baby, Come Back" achievement related to treasure chests is now completely fixed.
- Fixed an issue where Estelle's portrait in the menu could appear incorrectly when HD Assets are disabled.[/customspoiler]

EDIT: Steam has also added full controller support for the Dualshock 4 controller. Hopefully developers start to make use of it and include it natively in games, much like the Xbox controller is. That's not to say you can't already use use the controller. This just gives the developers more tools for controller support on Steamworks titles.
I couldn't see where a F2P Trails game would thrive too well in the states apart from possibly a mobile release like Final Fantasy Record Keeper, Tales of Link, or Brave Exvius. I love the Cold Steel storyline as well as the Trails in the Sky since I'm going through it now. Cold Steel III will be a day 1 purchase for me, and more than likely TiTS 3rd when its released on PC. I only hope we get some sort of port of Zero/Blue in the future as I would love to get the story behind that arc, even if I have to play the fan translations.

Also, thanks for sharing the Patch Notes. That will make FC/SC a little faster to finish.

I like the Atelier series games, and own most of them, but after buying a LE on PS3/PS4 only to see them re-released on Vita, I've given up on buying any of them until they're on sale. I really did like Escha & Logy and completed most of the game, but the storyline isn't enough to pique my interest. At least more so than the other games I own.

So is the Shantae: Half-Genie Hero physical copy suppose to be limited? I'd hate to buy it now only to see it on sale at next year's Black Friday. I don't think I've seen anything about being limited.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

So is the Shantae: Half-Genie Hero physical copy suppose to be limited? I'd hate to buy it now only to see it on sale at next year's Black Friday. I don't think I've seen anything about being limited.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I'd say no since XSeed is releasing it and I see it being sold on Amazon, Gamestop, VGP, and offered for rent on Gamefly (when its released) as well as being released on PS4/Vita/Wii U platforms. I haven't found anywhere that's mentioned it being a limited release other than maybe the Risky Beats Edition.

A few more Japanese-styled games are going on sale on Amazon and GameStop. I'm kind of leaning toward picking up God Eater 2: Rage Burst for $25. That seems a fair price to me given what comes with it, and the reviews seem fairly solid. Can anyone recommend/comment on that particular title? It's been out for a little while, so imagine there's probably someone around here who's played it.

A few more Japanese-styled games are going on sale on Amazon and GameStop. I'm kind of leaning toward picking up God Eater 2: Rage Burst for $25. That seems a fair price to me given what comes with it, and the reviews seem fairly solid. Can anyone recommend/comment on that particular title? It's been out for a little while, so imagine there's probably someone around here who's played it.
I'm still holding out, it keeps dropping every day.

God Eater 2: Rage Burst Day One Edition includes a PSN code for God Eater: Resurrection on the PS4 (Not the Vita). You can get that on Amazon for about that price right now. So if you're buying on the PS4 and do go with Gamestop, make sure it's that version and has a code.

Yea Nights of Azure is just getting a sequel. I don't think they will make an enhanced port for the first one.

whoops my bad. I mixed up shallie with sophie there haha.

If anyone wants to play Overwatch on PC just add me (nitromob#1510). Message me and say i'm blah blah blah from CAG or something. I overplayed it when it came out, so it's really kind of boring now, but I wouldn't mind playing with others.

Mistwalker should really get Lost Odyssey on PC.
Would be nice if their titles were brought to PC, however it wouldn't surprise me if they haven't even thought of the possibility since it's more or less a Microsoft exclusive title and it's been out for so long. It'd be nice if Atlus would get their ass in gear and follow suit with the PC ports of more current games, like say, Persona 5.

If anyone wants to play Overwatch on PC just add me (nitromob#1510[/size]). Message me and say i'm blah blah blah from CAG or something. I overplayed it when it came out, so it's really kind of boring now, but I wouldn't mind playing with others.
If you weren't such a damned night owl, I'd join you for more matches. Sometimes I wish I lived on the west coast so I'd have more people to play with since I wake up very early and thus sleep at a normal'ish time. Too many late night gamers.

Likewise for me as well (Draekon#1472). I can usually be messaged in the evenings when I'm not actively playing it and will often join up if I'm not actually busy. I tend to not play ranked though as I have a habit of finding games with always angry people.

Yup Draekon working does suck haha. I wish I could play earlier. I do want to earn some holiday loot boxes. I couldn't for the life of me do the 1 vs 1 arcade win haha....lost closely 2 times I believe and got beaten badly another time. I did try the Mei Arcade mode, and it was alright...kind of fun, though just OK. I also had to play a buttload of the random 6v6 mode to win that mode. Funny after not playing it for months I still hate that Hanamura map.

I do appreciate that the game is still easy to get back to even after not playing it for a while. Plus I always liked playing Symmetra so these buffs are interesting to use, but yeah need more practice there. 

Is it possible to redeem on pc without adding a credit card ? Would I need to hook up my 360?
Not sure. I had one attached it seems because I had to buy something recently from the Microsoft Store. However I just went in and deleted the payment options pretty effortlessly just now too.

I lost interest after this.
Funny you mentioned this, we've actually played with a girl from this thread once (won't say her name but you can probably guess who) and she plays more/better than I do.

I really hate the Mei brawl, I feel like it's very poorly mei-ed. The only good thing is the amei-zing intro, feels like a mei-diocre version of Black Op's One in the Chamber. I don't see why killing someone won't replenish your ammo. And mei I say this? Mei-by the mode needs a damn timer! When it's 6 v 1, the 1 person always hides in a corner and wastes everyone's time. It's driving mei-king me crazy.

Funny you mentioned this, we've actually played with a girl from this thread once (won't say her name but you can probably guess who) and she plays more/better than I do.

I really hate the Mei brawl, I feel like it's very poorly mei-ed. The only good thing is the amei-zing intro, feels like a mei-diocre version of Black Op's One in the Chamber. I don't see why killing someone won't replenish your ammo. And mei I say this? Mei-by the mode needs a damn timer! When it's 6 v 1, the 1 person always hides in a corner and wastes everyone's time. It's driving mei-king me crazy.
I was going to like your post, but then you started making mei puns.

Too much Mei mei-by? But yea, the Mei brawl is pretty lame, tried it once and probably won't play it again. Might as well leave my Battle.Net ID too, if anyone wants to add/invite me, henrito326#1413.

I picked it up and launch and don't regret it. The day one edition (of which I think is still being sold) comes with a remake of the first game, so you're getting two games and their respective expansions for the price of one. Anyways, it's basically a Monster Hunter clone, though much more newcomer friendly and more story driven. You can play online with up to four players (story mode even!), which is way more fun than playing by yourself, but you can have A.I. controlled allies help you if you want. There's also cross play, so you can play with folks who own either the PS4 or Vita versions which is pretty neat. There's a ton of content in each game too. Totally worth the money if you like this style of game. The worst thing I can say about it is that the missions do get repetitive, but that kinda comes with the territory.

bread's done
Back