Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I added only 3 or 4 figures from Wonfes to my wishlist. I think the anime I watch doesn't really get figures haha. Course those Overwatch nendos will be mine. I don't generally watch idol anime and rarely watch slice of life and moe anime. Usually just romance ones and some of the romantic comedies as well and other comedies and some action anime as well. The Sanei Heroine figures are nice though....Megumi.... =P~

Miku 1/8th V4X Figure
Kaneel1487463779.jpeg

The Sanei Heroine figures are nice though....Megumi.... =P~.
I don't even like that series that much, but I do own Utaha and Eriri with GSC's Megumi pre-ordered. The designs are just so nice on those.
Remember the life size Megumi figurine from last year?

>tfw someone bought it just to resell it.

Bring Home Your Life-Size Saekano Girlfriend for 1.98 Million Yen

Bonus: Ai Kayano and Kiyono Yasuno holding their characters figurines from a recent event.

gC6X5tM.jpg

With XSeed not localizing both Tokyo Xanadu and Ys VIII, I have to wonder exactly what caused that. Though I could see them letting another company work on Tokyo Xanadu pretty easily, but not so much Ys VIII. Maybe it has something to do with PC porting capabilities, which XSeed doesn't have. They've definitely put a lot of work in making Ys popular in the west, so it's a little surprising. (I know it was a Falcom decision and XSeed fought for Ys VIII)

Glad to get Ys VIII on PC, but I would've preferred it to be XSeed if at all possible. I hear the game has a lot more text than past games that it helps pad out the games length quite a bit. I feel XSeed does a much better job at translating (and dubbing) than NISA does in my opinion. Here's hoping the port doesn't suck because the game is much more reliant on gameplay unlike other RPGs.

Here's the Steam Page for Ys VIII in case anybody wanted to wishlist it.
Well, all that's left to announce is Sen/Cold Steel III. And if my gut is right, I'm pretty sure we know who's doing that one.

And maybe I'm too new to the Falcom scene, but....I just saw the trailer NISA put up on Steam. Is that one of the first times Kondo-san has addressed the international market personally like that?

And maybe I'm too new to the Falcom scene, but....I just saw the trailer NISA put up on Steam. Is that one of the first times Kondo-san has addressed the international market personally like that?
He's talked a lot about the west, particularly the last couple years. However no, I don't believe he's addressed the west directly like in that trailer. Didn't even realize that was like that as I saw no reason to watch a trailer for a game I already knew I was going to buy.

Falcom has probably realized more recently that the PC scene outside of Japan for Japanese games is decently big and growing at a rather surprising rate lately. He probably wants to capitalize on it as much as possible as Falcom, while not a tiny studio, isn't really a big studio either and is very in need of more income. Pretty sure I've read that they were in dire straights a few times in the last decade. They're still not well off either.

Well, all that's left to announce is Sen/Cold Steel III. And if my gut is right, I'm pretty sure we know who's doing that one.
If someone other than XSeed started being the ones to localize the Trails series, I'd probably go into shock. It's too bad we never got a proper localization of the Ghargov trilogy even though it's prior to the trails series.

He's talked a lot about the west, particularly the last couple years. However no, I don't believe he's addressed the west directly like in that trailer. Didn't even realize that was like that as I saw no reason to watch a trailer for a game I already knew I was going to buy.

Falcom has probably realized more recently that the PC scene outside of Japan for Japanese games is decently big and growing at a rather surprising rate lately. He probably wants to capitalize on it as much as possible as Falcom, while not a tiny studio, isn't really a big studio either and is very in need of more income. Pretty sure I've read that they were in dire straights a few times in the last decade. They're still not well off either.

If someone other than XSeed started being the ones to localize the Trails series, I'd probably go into shock. It's too bad we never got a proper localization of the Ghargov trilogy even though it's prior to the trails series.
While on one had I'm a bit eeeeeehhh on NISA having Ys VIII, I'm also glad Falcom wants their stuff released internationally - and from what I can tell, wants to bridge the gap between Japan and international release times. Xseed was working on a ton of games and just finished Story of Seasons and Fate Extella, and other stuff. Heck, I just bought Fate and Shantae on lightning deals from Amazon just so they get money - or sales numbers. Because...let's face it, I'll probably never get to those without severe peer pressure.

And yeah I'm with you on that...if Xseed does NOT get Sen III I'll be like

Manlytears1.jpg

I will say that no company can be on the same level as alter. They're crazy when it comes to little details.
I don't know for sure about all the little details, but from figures I've owned, I would say that GSC (themselves, not all of the companies they distribute) and Max Factory are as good as Alter. In the past few years, I would say GSC's artistry has surpassed that of Alter's, but that's obviously personal preference.

I don't know for sure about all the little details, but from figures I've owned, I would say that GSC (themselves, not all of the companies they distribute) and Max Factory are as good as Alter. In the past few years, I would say GSC's artistry has surpassed that of Alter's, but that's obviously personal preference.
Agreed. Max Factory definitely puts out some very high quality figures. While Alter is consistently high quality, other companies definitely can and have matched them.

I think the problem with Alter isn't their quality, but their license choices. Rarely in past 5-6 maybe more years have I even been wish listing their stuff anymore just because I don't know or care about the characters. They do some rarely licensed stuff too of course, but just not interested in most of it. I love Max Factory myself (plus they do a lot of Mikus) and GSC usually does good stuff too. I also am a fan of Orchid Seed, although they are extremely slow and put out very little. I collected the Seven Sins (never again....no Virtues get away!). Excellent figures, but extremely pricey too. And that was in a better figure market.

I think the problem with Alter isn't their quality, but their license choices. Rarely in past 5-6 maybe more years have I even been wish listing their stuff anymore just because I don't know or care about the characters. They do some rarely licensed stuff too of course, but just not interested in most of it. I love Max Factory myself (plus they do a lot of Mikus) and GSC usually does good stuff too. I also am a fan of Orchid Seed, although they are extremely slow and put out very little. I collected the Seven Sins (never again....no Virtues get away!). Excellent figures, but extremely pricey too. And that was in a better figure market.
My problem with Alter is their prices.

I guess figure prices in general though are starting to get out of control.

Someone asked the same question about Flare in a group I'm in on MFC. Someone said Flare is somehow related to both Alter and Yamato, that Flare has the same president as Alter.

The main thing I hear people mention about Flare is to not expect much shading on their figures.

Speaking of Flare, they are going to be making a Type B figure from Automata. I'm interested in seeing how that one comes out since I didn't care for the one that came with the CE of the game.

There were quite a few of figures I added to my list for this Wonfest. Not all of them are must buys, but quite a few have my attention on how they are gonna turn out.

With Alter you will rarely ever be disappointed or find a figure that doesn't match how the promo shot looks.   The last time I can remember being disappointed wtih an Alter figure was a Nanoha figure when literally everyone was releasing one. 

What I don't love about Alter is that a lot of the faces on their statues are starting to look alike. It's nowhere near as bad as, say, Kotobukiya, but there's a surprising amount of sameness to me for such a high level manufacturer. For example, I bought that Love Live Maki Nishikino figure they did with the black veil when it came out. I love everything else about the figure, but the face looks kind of generic to me, it bugs me a little.

Of course there are exceptions. Their Lala Satalin Deviluke AmiAmi collab figure as well as their Black Heart figure both had unique and beautiful faces. But for the most part I don't like Alter's work on faces as much as GSC's or Max Factory's.

What I don't love about Alter is that a lot of the faces on their statues are starting to look alike. It's nowhere near as bad as, say, Kotobukiya, but there's a surprising amount of sameness to me for such a high level manufacturer. For example, I bought that Love Live Maki Nishikino figure they did with the black veil when it came out. I love everything else about the figure, but the face looks kind of generic to me, it bugs me a little.
Of course there are exceptions. Their Lala Satalin Deviluke AmiAmi collab figure as well as their Black Heart figure both had unique and beautiful faces. But for the most part I don't like Alter's work on faces as much as GSC's or Max Factory's.
Hate to break it to you but, Love live girls have generic faces.

PlayAsia is not charging for shipping on sales over $10 this week. 

They have some decent imports worth checking out.

PlayAsia is not charging for shipping on sales over $10 this week.

They have some decent imports worth checking out.
I guess I'm lucky I payed for my SRW V already last month with FedEx shipping. If I used standard shipping I think I would've been annoyed lol.

While on one had I'm a bit eeeeeehhh on NISA having Ys VIII, I'm also glad Falcom wants their stuff released internationally - and from what I can tell, wants to bridge the gap between Japan and international release times. Xseed was working on a ton of games and just finished Story of Seasons and Fate Extella, and other stuff. Heck, I just bought Fate and Shantae on lightning deals from Amazon just so they get money - or sales numbers. Because...let's face it, I'll probably never get to those without severe peer pressure.

And yeah I'm with you on that...if Xseed does NOT get Sen III I'll be like

Manlytears1.jpg
My hope is that XSEED is focused on the Trails series. We will be getting Trails 3rd in a few months, and my biggest hope is that they announce Cold Steel III short there after. I'm holding out hope that Zero, and Azure get a port to NA after the recent success they've had. Cold Steel I and II won a lot of awards, and sold quite well. I love the series and think they're a good example of how you don't have to have life-like graphics to sell a great game, with a good story. I would be quite happy for XSEED to handle any and all Trails releases.

It was pretty surprising whenever I got an email from NISA about Ys VIII.

Got my copy of Berserk and the Band of the Hawk today, redeemed my BB pre-order outfits too. Hopefully I can squeeze in a few hours and see how it plays.

NieR: Automata Gets Two Free PS4 Themes, and They’re Awesome: Screenshots/Videos Inside - YoRHa 2B - YoRHa 9S
"Both themes can be downloaded on the Japanese PlayStation Store, featuring two models of the Ho-299 flight unit that appears in the game."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6qmZj4IoaM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBM44eV4fzQ

Tokyo Game Show 2017’s Theme Revealed: “Experience Beyond Reality;” Gates Open on September 21st

Monster Monpiece Brings Moe Girls and Lots of Rubbing Uncensored to Steam on March 14

After several $99 LEs and $20 shipping on others I'm just fine with a physical copy from Best Buy for 20% off.

bread's done
Back