Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
My local Best Buy got in at least 4 copies, 3 were store pickups but there was one out on the shelf. This is also at a very low volume store too so larger stores may have gotten larger quantities.
Thanks for reading my random problem! I happened to get lucky and was able to order store pickup for TYH edition at my local Best Buy around 1 AM. It was most likely the last copy because that store was no longer listed after I made the purchase. Just as you mentioned, any stores that turned up within my area had 3 or less copies available.

I've received packages as late as 9PM when typically my UPS driver will come between 3PM and 6PM with the rare earlier one.
I've gotten UPS past 9pm, but that is holiday time only. My normal time is the same as yours, normally 3-6. Every once in awhile I'll get earlier than 3, but rarely, but I often get past 6 at least 40% of the time. I'm actually waiting on a package right now, and it's 6:20, and the UPS man is nowhere to be found. LOL

I've received packages as late as 9PM when typically my UPS driver will come between 3PM and 6PM with the rare earlier one.
Only Fedex has ever delivered to me at 9pm once, and another time at 8pm. My UPS guy is usually on time at 11am and it's so rare to be outside that 11am time frame that I don't even remember the last time it happened.

Ended up buying a TYH edition at Best Buy since Amazon was taking forever to ship, then of course they finally shipped it right before I can cancel.

Whatever though, I'll return the likely smashed one from Amazon to Best Buy, or if its too fucked I'll just send it back to Amazon.

I have a feeling UPS is going to let me down. It's already 7:52 PM.

y8XSCLj.png
mine was delivered at 8:40pm est.

Best Buy is really iffy with their packaging.

Great sometimes, awful when they feel like it.

Sadly, it was awful this time around.

The didn't bother using any bubble wrap/paper inside the box.

The game box was slightly dented on one corner....good enough to keep though (especially at 57.23 with the old visa checkout discount)

Every since I had a game stolen from in front of my door, I have all of my UPS shipments go to a UPS store that's 4 miles away from me. They usually drop off my packages there between 11am and 12:30. My Persona 5 TYH came in just before 12:20 today. 

Ended up buying a TYH edition at Best Buy since Amazon was taking forever to ship, then of course they finally shipped it right before I can cancel.

Whatever though, I'll return the likely smashed one from Amazon to Best Buy, or if its too fucked I'll just send it back to Amazon.
Hey, Your not alone. Amazon finally! decided to ship mine out now as well 9pm-ish after 48 hours of "Shipping soon". (From NJ warehouse)

P5's all-star VA cast did not disappoint, so glad we got the Japanese Voice DLC, or else I would have to resort to (pricey) importing like with God Eater and God Eater 2.

Hey guys, what's your opinions on the take your heart edition? I decided I wanted to keep mine to open, I think the pack in items are really neat and I'm really not into collector editions.

I'm a fan of anime but I haven't watched anything new since full metal alchemist, that show blew my mind when I was younger, I find it harder to get sucked into shows nowadays but I love anime regardless, anything is better than 3D which is why I've collected anime movies over the past couple years.

I was happy to remember to check best buy before I went to bed last night to secure my copy of TYH
IMO, this collectors edition is pretty good for the price. You get an artbook, soundtrack CD, a steelbook, and other extra goodies for $100 or less. Still disappointed that the soundtrack CD isn't a persona compilation album like in Japan, but it's pretty good. The packaging is a bit disappointing for me at least. Looks like they didn't glue the outer flap to my box correctly, so it looks mis-shapen.

As for the game itself, I've played about 3-4 hours so far, and its got a pretty slow start like P4 except it feels way more cinematic. I love the VN style cut-ins and the music so far is amazing. The only things that really irk me are the constant loading screens (even with the cool loading icons), and some parts of the English dub.

After taking Japanese classes, the way they pronounce some characters' names REALLY stands out to me. Not in a good way, more like in a cringy kind of way. Too much emphasis on certain syllables. Makes me tempted to switch to the Japanese dub to see the difference, but overall the English dub casting is good. VAs seem to fit the characters from what I hear.

IMO, this collectors edition is pretty good for the price. You get an artbook, soundtrack CD, a steelbook, and other extra goodies for $100 or less. Still disappointed that the soundtrack CD isn't a persona compilation album like in Japan, but it's pretty good. The packaging is a bit disappointing for me at least. Looks like they didn't glue the outer flap to my box correctly, so it looks mis-shapen.

As for the game itself, I've played about 3-4 hours so far, and its got a pretty slow start like P4 except it feels way more cinematic. I love the VN style cut-ins and the music so far is amazing. The only things that really irk me are the constant loading screens (even with the cool loading icons), and some parts of the English dub.

After taking Japanese classes, the way they pronounce some characters' names REALLY stands out to me. Not in a good way, more like in a cringy kind of way. Too much emphasis on certain syllables. Makes me tempted to switch to the Japanese dub to see the difference, but overall the English dub casting is good. VAs seem to fit the characters from what I hear.
I would assume if you are taking Japanese classes switching to the Japanese Voice would be the first thing you do. Top-tier voice work and it would help with your learning process.

I would assume if you are taking Japanese classes switching to the Japanese Voice would be the first thing you do. Top-tier voice work and it would help with your learning process.
Oh I will during my second play through :D/

I just want to enjoy the game in my native language for now.

Let me tell you that watching anime has not aided me at all in my learning process. Only actual studying can do that.

Let me tell you that watching anime has not aided me at all in my learning process. Only actual studying can do that.
Heh, good point. It's cool that I can start recognizing phrases and sentence patterns in anime and JP games, but there is a difference between studying and having fun with media. If I tried to analyze Persona 5 like a homework assignment, I have no doubt that it would just make the experience exhausting.

Exposure does help. Maybe more for some than others, but immersing yourself in a language is a great learning tool.

Though obviously some television shows are better for that sort of thing than others, and nothing can match being around live people speaking the language.

Heh, good point. It's cool that I can start recognizing phrases and sentence patterns in anime and JP games, but there is a difference between studying and having fun with media. If I tried to analyze Persona 5 like a homework assignment, I have no doubt that it would just make the experience exhausting.
And how. I've tried using Xenosaga Episodes 1 & 2 (the DS one) and Love Plus to try to help with my kanji, and it really wears you down.

Xenosaga especially, due to all the scientific and philosophical jargon that gets thrown around. :fridge:

damn fire emblem stuff always sells out.  Anyone who is interested in the series should know you buy asap or you'll never see it again except on a scalpers listing.  Its tough being a cag when it comes to stuff like that.  I might be forced to preorder whatever the new one is since gohastings wont be there this time around for me to get it half off  :cry:

I've heard it's more disappointing (compared to tri-Ace's past games) than outright bad. You could buy much worse with $10-$12.
Most reviews are positive with the battle system being a highlight. Which is usually the case with triace. A 70 on metacritic is not more less than what they usually get, although the sample is low.

I find multiple credit cards very important. One for travel so you get extra points on hotels and plane tickets, such as Sapphire Preferred/Reserved. The Costco CITI card because Costco. Then AMEX for the occasional kick-ass promo offers that they give out. A discover for the same reason as the AMEX. A chase freedom card for the rotating categories. If you have kids, then you pretty much need a Khol's store card. A TJMax card to hunt for goods there. A capital one card since they are doing exclusive ticketing options now. A grocery card which there are plenty of options for. A CITI 2% cashback for when the stuff you are buying do not fall into any bonus cashback categories.
Strange that we're talking about credit cards here but here is a way to "scam" chase.

Chase allows you to transfer points between credit cards. So I make all my purchases using my Chase Freedom earning between 3% or 5% points. I then transfer all those points to my Chase Preferred for airline miles. Chase preferred is partnered with over a dozen airlines so their points exchange 1:1. Basically my "everyday purchases" over the course of the year is able to buy about 10 flights or so.

Back on topic,

I have an extra P5 TYH that I'm willing to sell at cost+shipping if anyone is interested. PM me

Strange that we're talking about credit cards here but here is a way to "scam" chase.
Chase allows you to transfer points between credit cards. So I make all my purchases using my Chase Freedom earning between 3% or 5% points.
That's not a scam. You're literally paying for that perk in your annual fee.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

it was a great day when Best Buy sold Fire Emblem Awakening for $15
That whole sale was excellent if I remember. Got Pokemon Black 2 and Style Savvy (that game was fun) and one of the Professor Layton games and Kid Icarus for cheap.

Still haven't started P5 yet...was busy with b-day family and then after everything was done my friends wanted to play Titanfall 2. Tonight I start though and I hope it's pretty awesome.

I've been enjoying Persona 5 but I still can't get used to the English voice for Morgana. Everyone else's English voice is pretty good though.

Now talking about Fire Emblem Heroes, it looks like Camilla is currently destroying Hinoka in the Voting Gauntlet (which is kinda sad because I prefer Hinoka). So I guess I'll be sticking with Camilla after this round ends, since Hinoka will be out. :/

I really think your experience is an outlier. My Japanese is very limited, but I went through the long and difficult journey of learning English, and so did everybody else around me growing up. It was really helpful to be constantly exposed to the language in times when we were not in English class, movies, TV, music and comics etc. The English teachers always told us to watch English movies and TV shows in our free time. And those who took an interest in American culture (many through watching Friends) had their English skills improving much faster than others.

I would see the helpfulness of watching TVs/Movies as an exponential function, it helps a little when you are just taking off, but you just have to power through; once you can understand basic sentence structures, you begin to pick up a lot of useful pronunciations and phrases. There are also classic "tricks" that almost all English teacher advocates, like watching a movie with subtitles, then watch it again with the subtitles half covered with a paper, then watch it again with the subtitles off.

Cuz no one wants it. And it was a bad idea to do a "Better version" of a title that not a lot of people bought. imo
Honestly, it was a bad idea to release the normal version at all. They should have just gone straight with the better version.

I only bought it cause it was cheap, because the game looks like it's only worth $10. It has worse graphics than Yggdra Union. Somehow.

Cuz no one wants it. And it was a bad idea to do a "Better version" of a title that not a lot of people bought. imo
I paid $16 for it like a chump. Haven't even played it yet. If it drops to $7 I'll get another to hold for 4 years and sell at $16 so I can tell myself I only paid $7 for it.

What's funny is I'm playing the Vita release now to lessen the backlog. The collector in me is going to pay the $7 however.

Well fuck , now I feel silly for buying it at $11 and change.

I've only played the first chapter, but I'm actually kind of enjoying it. Gameplay is a little irritating, but I like the atmosphere, art, and characters so far.

Well fuck , now I feel silly for buying it at $11 and change.

I've only played the first chapter, but I'm actually kind of enjoying it. Gameplay is a little irritating, but I like the atmosphere, art, and characters so far.
I like it as well. I can see where people wouldn't like it as much, but I'm on sort of a VN kick as my last three platinums are VNs....so easy plats, lol.

About 8 hours into Persona 5, can't say I'm feeling the hype yet. 

Just feels like more Persona... shocking right?! 

I will admit though between the bad voice acting & the hilarious sarcastic response options

that's been the best part of the game so far. 

If this is what you call bad voice acting then I can't imagine what can be considered good voice acting. They have a... curious choice of pronunciation for some names, but overall voice direction has been great.

Theyve shouldve done the Extended treatment to a different title tbh. Not like a lot of people were clamoring for a PS4 version of Tokyo Twilight to begin with

Has there been any word on Dragon Quest Heroes for Switch coming west?

Also I'm tempted to import Musou Stars, but that's probably a given for being released here...right?

bread's done
Back