Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh ok. About the software you mentioned that you use with Cronus max, does that come on a disc or is it like a website that you go to? Also does the script you use need the game to be displayed? Sorry for all the questions... I'm just imagining how nice it would be to throw on Netflix while a gadget does all this grunt work for me.
I'm pretty sure it didn't come with a software disc. I think I just downloaded it from the the cronusmax download page.

I assume the scripts I use do need the game displayed on a screen. The person who wrote it said not having the game displayed somehow screws up the timing, so I've always had my PS4 hooked up to an extra monitor when I'm using the scripts.

Why did people like Nier automata so much again? I remember a ton of people raving about it, but it's just not holding my attention. I've only played up through the amusement park type area though.

Why did people like Nier automata so much again?
6cf.gif

Has anyone ordered Valkyria Revolution from Amazon In the past few days? I was wondering if it was the Vanguard Edition.

Game doesn't truly begin until you've started your third playthrough
Maybe he's not an assman? She's TooBooty, not TooBoobies.

Why did people like Nier automata so much again? I remember a ton of people raving about it, but it's just not holding my attention. I've only played up through the amusement park type area though.
In all seriousness, you might have to get further into the game to really get captivated. It takes really understanding the story, and I think there wasn't much exposition in the 1st few chapters like the Amusement part levels. Once you've gotten to the machine village, played through a few side quests, and experienced loss, you'll learn to love the game. The side quests also steal the show sometimes, they have similar to Witcher 3's level of storytelling in them.

A little advice I can give you is play with headphones on, because the musical score is a masterpiece. Don't worry too much about the grinding or fighting every enemy, it's more of a story based game. And as the story progresses, pay attention and sometimes read the intel they give you, it'll help immerse you a bit more. The gameplay is pretty fun too, try out different chip loadouts, and parry more often than just mash square.

Nice! Sounds like it has the quality of life improvements everyone wanted from DQB1 included. I may be in the minority but I liked playing the first one more on my tv than on my vita.

I snagged mine from videogamesplus.ca, comes with the soundtrack.
I forgot about the soundtrack and decided to buy it through them as well. Just a heads up they have it listed on eBay for $32.49 so it's about a $1 more than buying it from the site but for the next 3 hours eBay has a 6% promo here - http://www.ebay.com/itm/222602161476 and I got to use my credit.

Now that I'm think about it though I'm sure there will be a better promo before it releases. Has anyone ever cancelled a preorder on eBay? I'll reorder it if a better promo comes along.

Once you get all the girls to 100 excitement you can earn around 1 million owner money from a volleyball quitting run.

A vacation run takes around 20 minutes.
Once you have all of them at 100 Excitement it's actually better to relax quit at the Poolside for a whole vacation. It will get you around $980k owner money in under 11 minutes and you don't have to only use Hitomi or worry about your partner. For some reason relaxing at the Poolside stops all the NPC girls from naturally losing Satisfaction as a vacation progresses which means a better payout in the end. It's pretty easy to set up a Cronusmax script that you can start/stop at any time for it.

A lot of 'junk' this week outside of a few that look decent. Hopefully I didn't miss anything. Although I wonder if I should bother with non-english only games. I could see keeping Japanese language only ones, but dumping Chinese and other language ones that don't have any English to them. It may not always reduce the list, but I feel like there are a lot more lately since Steam has become significantly bigger in Asia (17% of Steam users are from Asia) and we're seeing a lot more Asian releases.

Other stuff that released without warning last week (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- An Oath to the Stars (SHMUP / Bullet Hell)
- ContactS (Visual Novel)

Weekly Releases (August 6th - August 12th)

Elminage Original
- Platform(s): 3DS
- Genre: First-Person Dungeon RPG
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Digital only. Previously released on PSP. Unknown if there are any improvements.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
- Platform(s): PS4, PC
- Genre: Action / Hack'n'Slash
- Comments: British dev.

Mega Man Legacy Collection 2
- Platform(s): PS4, Xbox One, PC
- Genre: Platformer / Action

Masquerada: Songs and Shadows
- Platform(s): PS4, Xbox One
- Genre: RPG / Real-Time Strategy
- Comments: Singapore dev. Previously released on PC. Has fairly good PC reviews.

Flip Wars
- Platform(s): Switch
- Genre: Puzzle / Multiplayer
- Online: 4-Player / Online & Wireless LAN
- Comments: Multiplayer doesn't seem to support a single console couch battles.

ShineG In The Zombies
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Action / Shooter
- Comments: Chinese language only.

Sango Guardian Chaos Generation Steamedition
- Genre: Fighting
- Online: Yes.
- Comments: Chinese dev.

Blind Witch -Peek Window-
- Genre: Action Adventure
- Comments: Japanese language only.

Monsteria
- Genre: Action
- Comments: Not Japanese.

Evil Genome 光明重影
- Genre: RPG / Metroidvania
- Comments: Chinese dev.

Shuyan Saga
- Platform(s):
- Genre: Action
- Comments: Canadian dev I guess? Based on a Chinese graphic novel.

Cat Quest
- Genre: RPG / Action

Shark Dating Simulator XL
- Genre: Dating Simulator / Early Access
- Comments: Wat. Not Japanese.

辣条杂货店:回到1997,我当小商贩
- Genre: RPG / Simulation?

Upside-Down Dimensions
- Genre: Action RPG
- Comments: Spanish dev.

Lost Technology
- Genre: RTS / Simulation
- Comments: This is that weird looking game I mentioned last week. Published by AGM PLAYISM.

Winter Cold
- Genre: Visual Novel

暗影召唤
- Genre: Action RPG / Early Access

Cat Girl
- Genre: Visual Novel

伝創記IV ~if~
- Genre: RPG
- Comments: Japanese language only. That's also some creepy ass character models.

Past Releases
July 30th - August 5th
July 23rd - July 29th
July 16th - July 22nd
July 9th - July 15th
July 2nd - July 8th

I really hope they don't screw up the co-op/mutliplayer like they did with Dragon Quest Heroes II. I fully expect them to unfortunately. Also having a very large sandbox map ala Minecraft would be nice as well to have. Finally I'm hoping they don't split everything up like they did with the first game and instead just have one very large map with a progressive story.

Once you have all of them at 100 Excitement it's actually better to relax quit at the Poolside for a whole vacation. It will get you around $980k owner money in under 11 minutes and you don't have to only use Hitomi or worry about your partner. For some reason relaxing at the Poolside stops all the NPC girls from naturally losing Satisfaction as a vacation progresses which means a better payout in the end. It's pretty easy to set up a Cronusmax script that you can start/stop at any time for it.
Oh yeah, I mostly use a pool relaxing script now. Weird that I forgot about it. It gets me just over 900k, so I use the volleyball script when there is a 1 million limited-time swimsuit in rotation.

11 minutes is fast. The pool script I use takes about 19 minutes to run from the title screen to the 14th night.

Even though I already own the PS3 remastered version of Ryuu ga Gotoku I broke down and pre-ordered Yakuza Kiwami when I heard that you can find Majima disguised as a hostess in it.

I already beat Yakuza 1 ages ago and still want that. Also helps it has a cool steel book and a pretty neat story. I hope Yakuza 2 gets the same treatment, as the writing is strong in that one too (saw some LP...not all of it....never found it when it was cheap at Gamestop). Yakuza 2,5 are the ones I haven't played yet. 5 it's because I just haven't gotten to it, but 2...I could never find...so that's a shame. I know it got reprinted lately, but eh....really don't want to break out my PS2 now. 

I forgot about the soundtrack and decided to buy it through them as well. Just a heads up they have it listed on eBay for $32.49 so it's about a $1 more than buying it from the site but for the next 3 hours eBay has a 6% promo here - http://www.ebay.com/itm/222602161476 and I got to use my credit.

Now that I'm think about it though I'm sure there will be a better promo before it releases. Has anyone ever cancelled a preorder on eBay? I'll reorder it if a better promo comes along.
Great link. :)

This is OT, but this board is one of the more healthy, so I thought I'd ask here anyway.

I just got the Zelda Wii U to replace my original black one. I was originally planning on selling mine to recoup a lot of that cost, but I'm now thinking that keeping the old game pad may make more sense. After all, controllers wear out, and I'd hate to be SOL with a worn out Gamepad years down the line--especially if it's the fancy Zelda one that's worn out. What do y'all think?

This is OT, but this board is one of the more healthy, so I thought I'd ask here anyway.

I just got the Zelda Wii U to replace my original black one. I was originally planning on selling mine to recoup a lot of that cost, but I'm now thinking that keeping the old game pad may make more sense. After all, controllers wear out, and I'd hate to be SOL with a worn out Gamepad years down the line--especially if it's the fancy Zelda one that's worn out. What do y'all think?
50/50 shot. I think it's more likely WiiU emulation will be able to cover the loss of the console than you needing a backup. My gamepad from early launch is still strong. Downside I think only Nintendo sells spare gamepads direct.

Even though I already own the PS3 remastered version of Ryuu ga Gotoku I broke down and pre-ordered Yakuza Kiwami when I heard that you can find Majima disguised as a hostess in it.

I already beat Yakuza 1 ages ago and still want that. Also helps it has a cool steel book and a pretty neat story. I hope Yakuza 2 gets the same treatment, as the writing is strong in that one too (saw some LP...not all of it....never found it when it was cheap at Gamestop). Yakuza 2,5 are the ones I haven't played yet. 5 it's because I just haven't gotten to it, but 2...I could never find...so that's a shame. I know it got reprinted lately, but eh....really don't want to break out my PS2 now.
My collection (+Yakuza 5 digitally):
KpyyXrmh.jpg

It's a shame Yakuza 5 was never released here physical but it was still awesome they took another chance on the series to begin with. I'm sure Yakuza 2 will get a remake announced soon though!

KpyyXrmh.jpg

It's a shame Yakuza 5 was never released here physical but it was still awesome they took another chance on the series to begin with. I'm sure Yakuza 2 will get a remake announced soon though!
I have the PS3 remastered versions of Ryuu ga Gotoku 1 & 2, and Yakuza 4 and 5 digitally. Since I missed my chance to pre-order it (I didn't own a PS4 when it came out), I'm waiting for a decent sale on 0, and I haven't gotten around to getting 3 yet.

As for what I've played, uh...

I've gotten through maybe the first hour or so of the first game? Playing in Japanese is hard.

You only get the booty for one third the game and the rest is really awful, childish writing. lol Taro is such a hack.
I stay away from anything Taro. Guy was involved in the horrible Drakengard series and directed Drakengard 3, one of the worst Japanese games I've ever had the misfortune to play.

KpyyXrmh.jpg

*fist bump*

I didn't get into the franchise until Yakuza 3 came out, but I did go back and buy all of the English releases in order to catch up. Also grabbed some Japan only releases when I was in Akihabara a couple years ago. I too regret the lack Yakuza 5 physical.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:27533]

*fist bump*

I didn't get into the franchise until Yakuza 3 came out, but I did go back and buy all of the English releases in order to catch up. Also grabbed some Japan only releases when I was in Akihabara a couple years ago. I too regret the lack Yakuza 5 physical.

2921100-thatsrad.gif

I didn't even know about the series til Yakuza 5 was announced to be getting localized then I played through 1 - 4 and Dead Souls in anticipation

Nice Yakuza collections :)

For me, I have:

English - Yakuza 1, Yakuza 3, Yakuza 4, Yakuza 5 (digital), Dead Souls, Yakuza 0

Japanese - Yakuza 1&2 HD, Yakuza 5, Yakuza 0 and Yakuza 6

I missed out on Yakuza 2 which is disappointing, but I hope they announce a remake of that one.

I also never got the PSP game or the Isshin and Kenzan ones.

I just don't like mobile port sprite work, I don't know why but it looks hideous to me.  Dragon Quest looked much better on the Super Famicom, but isn't that just always the case...

Do NOT preorder from Walmart. DO NOT DO IT. They are utter garbage at fulfillment. I don't even know why they're in the vidya business. They sure don't. You'd be better off paying MSRP than dealing with Walmart hassle.

It probably means they're already working on it if they're phrasing it like that so that once it releases they can say "This is because of the fans wanted it!".

I'd be worried if they give it the EVO treatment like they have for the past Trails games because it significantly reduces the chance of localization as XSeed is terrible about bringing them over for various reasons. I'd also pray that they add the quality of life features the PC version has such as Turbo Mode as well as the extra voiced lines. Though I'd like to see auto-advance on dialogue after the voice line is done. I feel it would help with dialogue feeling a little bit better.

bread's done
Back