Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot to put these earlier.

Link to Blog

Mangagamer Otakon 2017 announcements:

His Chuunibyou Can't Be Cured!

Tower of Five Hearts (Yuri)

The Stargazers:Remastered

Dizzy Hearts

Supipara Chapter 2

The Spirit Master of Retarnia ~Conqueror of the Labyrinth~

Room no. 9 (Yaoi/BL)

A Kiss for the Petals titles, Maidens of Michael (Yuri)

Sengoku Rance

Rance Quest Magnum

Okay comments on everything:

Chuunibyou looks alright and could be good. It's a debut game by a creator and I hope it turns out well.

Tower of Five Hearts looks...eh so-so. Probably wont get.

Never played Stargazers so a remastered version will be good.

Dizzy Hearts looks interesting at least.

Sold on Supipara so chapter 2 can't come soon enough.

The Spirit Master looks interesting and I like dungeon crawlers, so an adult one will likely be a buy for me.

Room no. 9 actually looks pretty cool, though I'm not a Yaoi/BL type of guy. It looks very unique and could be interesting for people.

Kiss for the Petals I really don't play Yuri games often so this will be a pass, but looks alright.

Sengoku Rance is considered one of the best Rance games. I haven't played too many, but this will be a likely buy to support it.

Rance Magnum looks interesting at least, and it's just Rance being Rance.

Pretty interesting announcements though I wish there were maybe one more kind of light hearted eroge, but eh it's quite a bit of announcements.

Also adding next Mangagamer game is Fashioning Little Miss Lonesome. $19.96 pre-order discount and comes out September 8, 2017. This is the type of otome I can get behind and will likely buy it especially since the girl is a cutie.

Mangagamer Link (NSFW)

For a limited time(good through the 18th), over at Play-Asia, you can get 5% off your order by using a credit card.

http://www.play-asia.com/5-off-exclusive-with-any-credit-card-purchase/5f/74adj?ref=creditcardhomeslide

I guess maybe this is a way to keep buyers from doing charge backs through Paypal when their shipment is slightly delayed uh? LOL
Unless I have to, I'm going to try and stay away from play asia. Their last fiasco with ghost blade and credit card payments, I don't trust them to be able to have a handle on things yet.

Unless I have to, I'm going to try and stay away from play asia. Their last fiasco with ghost blade and credit card payments, I don't trust them to be able to have a handle on things yet.
Yeah, that deals is kinda of ass, but a deal none the less. LOL

A few years back, I had a situation with them and the Vita FFX-2, and that for sure made me not use them as much. I still use them for certain items here and there, or if they have a good sale going on, but nothing like in the past.

If and when I do use them, I make sure to use Paypal, and be aware of my cut off to open a claim if and when I have had any issues. Sadly, over the years, I really don't have a regular gaming source much any more, as most places have gone down hill, and I just have to go where the deals are, as the service is pretty much ass every place at this point.

I got the Gundam/Super Robot Wars strategy games from Play-asia during one of those free shipping sales. They are alright for sure, but I could see how they might not be a first choice.

Last 2 orders I placed with them they took 3 weeks to ship and another 2-3 to deliver, I'd rather pay more and get things before I drop dead.

No Vita release.

My heart weeps.

tenor.gif

Is the Azure Striker Gunvolt Switch version getting a physical release in America, or am I safe to import the Japanese release? It seems like a game that can be played without much understanding of the Japanese text.

I remember somebody asking about this, so for anyone planning on pre ordering White Day, the soundtrack is indeed exclusive to Videogamesplus. I asked pqube on Twitter today. Wanted to get it from Amazon, but I'll spend the little extra to get the soundtrack and hopefully better packaging.

Sonic Mania reviews are pouring in and it's pretty damned positive. Aggregate review thread links to Reddit & NeoGAF. Sucks that the PC version got delayed two weeks, but oh well. I'm also consistently hearing that there is a certain boss that's pretty awesome and you should try and avoid spoilers about it until you see it for yourself.

Also surprised that [customspoiler='dunkey likes the game']
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwTejwu4oaw[/customspoiler] too.

[customspoiler='Launch Trailer']Even though I'm pretty sure Supplice posted a link to it before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8Tka60EWWU[/customspoiler]

Sonic Mania reviews are pouring in and it's pretty damned positive. Aggregate review thread links to Reddit & NeoGAF. Sucks that the PC version got delayed two weeks, but oh well. I'm also consistently hearing that there is a certain boss that's pretty awesome and you should try and avoid spoilers about it until you see it for yourself.

[customspoiler='Launch Trailer']Even though I'm pretty sure Supplice posted a link to it before.
It's about damn time! How hard was it to do Sonic some justice? Then they finally do a good title, and it's digital only. For every step forward.......

That's exciting, I forgot it was coming out til last week

It's about damn time! How hard was it to do Sonic some justice? Then they finally do a good title, and it's digital only. For every step forward.......
I have no doubt that Sonic Mania will get a physical release some day. There is just too much money being left on the table if it doesn't. I can see it happening within a year or two.

I have no doubt that Sonic Mania will get a physical release some day. There is just too much money being left on the table if it doesn't. I can see it happening within a year or two.
Honestly, I don't doubt it will happen either, as the interest will be there, no question. I just find it short sighted to not have it available now, for a great game, as they would sell more now, than they will down the road. But at this point, I guess we all just have to be happy for a good 2D Sonic title, and call it a day.

Did people not like Sonic Generations? Or All-Stars Racing Transformed? Those were solid Sonic entries.
Racing Transformed is Amazing, and one of my favorite kart racers of all time. But I don't consider that a true Sonic title, as that has been pretty good for each outing, where the 2D/3D games have been all over the map quality-wise, with most on the poorer side more often than not. I don't know If I've ever played Generations or not, but I personally would love to see another Sonic kart game.

I just find it short sighted to not have it available now, for a great game, as they would sell more now, than they will down the road. But at this point, I guess we all just have to be happy for a good 2D Sonic title, and call it a day.
It may have actually been deliberately planned this way. I can see this being a Shovel Knight-type situation with people buying it digitally first to play (since there is no other way to play at launch) then buying the physical copy down the line for preservation. If they had released the physical copy at launch people would just be buying the one copy. Now many will buy two (assuming the physical version does come out).

Did people not like Sonic Generations? Or All-Stars Racing Transformed? Those were solid Sonic entries.
Racing Transformed is so much better than any iteration of Mario Kart 8. Unfortunately it's nowhere near as popular. So nice it doesn't just have the bare minimum in regards to modes. It actually has a career mode that you can play through with other people. Awesome.

Racing Transformed is so much better than any iteration of Mario Kart 8. Unfortunately it's nowhere near as popular. So nice it doesn't just have the bare minimum in regards to modes. It actually has a career mode that you can play through with other people. Awesome.
I actually completely agree with this. I remember buying this to hold me over until Mario kart came out and then I remember feeling like I didn't really even need Mario kart anymore. I believe it also had 5 player multiplayer on the wii u while Mario kart only supported up to 4.

It may have actually been deliberately planned this way. I can see this being a Shovel Knight-type situation with people buying it digitally first to play (since there is no other way to play at launch) then buying the physical copy down the line for preservation. If they had released the physical copy at launch people would just be buying the one copy. Now many will buy two (assuming the physical version does come out).
I never thought of that before, but I guess it makes sense depending on the situation. But Shovel Knight was a cheap indie title from the start, and once it proved itself as a truly great title, it just made sense by that time.

How much is this new sonic game? I guess if it's under $20, I could see your idea playing out. If it's $30 or above, I can't see many buying it twice at that price point, but I could be wrong.

I actually completely agree with this. I remember buying this to hold me over until Mario kart came out and then I remember feeling like I didn't really even need Mario kart anymore. I believe it also had 5 player multiplayer on the wii u while Mario kart only supported up to 4.
I honestly think it's a better game than any of the MK games period, not just 8. MK has always been a rather stale title to me, with the DS game probably being my favorite, just for the single player challenge stages. That was an amazing new addition to MK, that came and went all in one title.

I got Transformed for the Vita a few holidays back, and I played it non-stop for a few weeks, and I don't think I made it through 50% of what that game had to offer. The Content was just insane. Transformed is for sure a great title, and an hidden gem on top of it, as I don't think hardly anyone actually played it back when it was first released.

Yeah, hands down, Racing Transformed tops any of the Mario Kart titles. Probably one of the better kart games available, with the exception of Crash Team Racing, which is god tier.

Still mad they offered a Collector's Edition but with no actual physical release. c'mon.

Reminds me of when Capcom released Ducktales Remastered Collector's Edition but it was a download code instead. :T Only to do a physical release sometime after. ><

Before that was Marvel vs Capcom 2 PS3, only for it to be a voucher code in the case. LOL

Wish they gave Marvel vs Capcom Origins a retail release as well much like what they did for the JPN ver. of the Darkstalkers Collection

Dammit Capcom. Don't mind me, just lamenting on stuff.

I never thought of that before, but I guess it makes sense depending on the situation. But Shovel Knight was a cheap indie title from the start, and once it proved itself as a truly great title, it just made sense by that time.

How much is this new sonic game? I guess if it's under $20, I could see your idea playing out. If it's $30 or above, I can't see many buying it twice at that price point, but I could be wrong.

I honestly think it's a better game than any of the MK games period, not just 8. MK has always been a rather stale title to me, with the DS game probably being my favorite, just for the single player challenge stages. That was an amazing new addition to MK, that came and went all in one title.

I got Transformed for the Vita a few holidays back, and I played it non-stop for a few weeks, and I don't think I made it through 50% of what that game had to offer. The Content was just insane. Transformed is for sure a great title, and an hidden gem on top of it, as I don't think hardly anyone actually played it back when it was first released.
Sonic Mania released at a really nice price of $19.99.

I eventually bought 4 physical copies of Shovel Knight (3DS, Vita, PS4, WiiU) and I can see myself buying at least two of Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4) if it ever offers a physical version.

Dammit Capcom. Don't mind me, just lamenting on stuff.
They deserve every ounce of what you have to give and then some. Capcom may be the only company I hold in a lower regard than "N" at this point, as at least "N" still releases a quality product now and then, with the occasional decent CE. Capcom might as well close their US operation, as it's just wasting time calling themselves a video game company at this point. Their US website is the worst.

Sonic Mania released at a really nice price of $19.99.

I eventually bought 4 physical copies of Shovel Knight (3DS, Vita, PS4, WiiU) and I can see myself buying at least two of Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4) if it ever offers a physical version.
That's good news, as $20 is the sweet spot, so I for sure see a physical version of this coming out at some point. I agree with most around the web, as there should have at least been a physical offered with that collectors set. Which I actually thought was a decent set, but with no game, it was a door stop of items.

Yeah, I bought SN digital at the start, and bought the Vita and 3DS physical offerings as well. The title was great, and the buy in was cheap enough where I didn't mind buying it a few more times as a show of support for a quality product.

Yeah, hands down, Racing Transformed tops any of the Mario Kart titles. Probably one of the better kart games available, with the exception of Crash Team Racing, which is god tier.
Well the best "kart" game available was Blur, but I wont quibble over semantics. ;) I didn't think CTR was held in that high regard. I mean, *I* loved it, but I know I'm weird. 'Cause like, I think Double Dash is the best Mario Kart and I know that's an unpopular opinion.

So, has White Day been delayed?

Instead of August 22nd, Amazon now has it listed for a September 28th release...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073N4PGN1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yeah same as Summon Knight 6....come out already!
I have both pre-ordered from Videogamesplus.ca and they till show White Day for 8/29, and Summon Night 6 as 8/15 (Either I saw it incorrectly, or it just changed to 9/15. White Day still shows 8/29). I'll believe it once I see the shipping confirmation. Really want to play White Day. I'm in the mood for a horror genre game. Tokyo Dark looks really interesting.

Nothing really new this week with free PSN junk, but there's at least one thing:

Let It Die

PS4

PS+ Free Exclusive Pack (PS+ Only)

This week also has Attack of the Blockbuster Sale, which includes a couple thread related games. Pricepoints aren't exactly great unfortunately since it's a max of 50% off (PS+ is 60%). You also have this weeks PS+ $0.99 movie rental, Kong: Skull Island. I know it's not Japanese related in any way really, but I figured I'd include it since you do have a bit of King Kong vs Godzilla lore.

So my Sonic Mania CE from Best Buy was delayed.....I'm pretty bummed out.

Hopefully it doesn't get cancelled or anything.

I have both pre-ordered from Videogamesplus.ca and they till show White Day for 8/29, and Summon Night 6 as 8/15 (Either I saw it incorrectly, or it just changed to 9/15. White Day still shows 8/29). I'll believe it once I see the shipping confirmation. Really want to play White Day. I'm in the mood for a horror genre game. Tokyo Dark looks really interesting.
Gamestop has Summon Knight 6 coming out on 9/7 now. It's been delayed so many times at this point I'll believe it when I see it.

IFI just revealed the LE for Mary Skelter $64.99

http://www.iffysonlinestore.com/MarySkelterNightmaresLE

Looks pretty good.

MSKT1_LE_FULLSET__61385.1502731130.1280.1280.png
That does look pretty good. I may have to get this one, as I passed on their last LE for the Vita that had the wooden box, as I just didn't see the need, and the asking price didn't help. It was actually one of the first Vita LE sets I didn't get. Normally no art book, means a no buy for me.

I decided to pass on another one over at NISA this morning as well. Yomawari: Midnight Shadows is $20 over the standard version, and all you get is a few little charms, and a glow in the dark cloth poster. Both items seem like they should be free GS preorder items, but for $20 extra, I'll just go with the vanilla and call it a day. Now that I've finally broken the cycle of not missing any of these, I should probably start looking at ones I can sell, and just get the standard games instead.

BTW, just a heads up, over at NISA Culdcept Revolt LE for the 3DS is below 5%, and I expect this title to have a decent demand after the fact, so get it now if you want it for retail. http://store.nisamerica.com/preorders/culdcept-revolt-limited-edition

bread's done
Back