Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I mainly collect Vita stuff on release (or for excited releases like Senran Kagura Boob Splash...I mean Peach Beach). Vita stuff other than the LRG stuff comes out relatively rarely, and I feel this might be the last year for having more releases. Just a gut feeling of course.

I saw this pointed out on IGN as well, but their link to information went to the Nier Automata deal instead.

Seems like Amazon Prime 20% off only applies to pre-orders now, with the 2 week post-release window no longer applying.
Guess if I want Peach Beach Splash, I better pre-order it from Amazon soon.

Guess if I want Peach Beach Splash, I better pre-order it from Amazon soon.
I'm getting it too, we should get some games together like we did for Injustice 2!

I'm gonna get it from Gamestop though, it's not too expensive so I don't mind paying full price but skipping tax, so it's only $7/10% more than with GCU/Prime.

I don't have a best buy so on the rare occasion I want a game at launch I don't have that many options.  either amazon gamestop or walmart.  Or I suppose target.

A little underwhelming for it being a 5.0 update. However I'm glad to see that they will finally allow notification blocking while watching video. I just pray that they actually set the video streaming apps as "video" and not just physical media and movies through PSN. I could totally see them screwing that up.

Being able to set friends to groups will help figure out where the hell they came from too.

Splatoon 2 – Splatfest #2 announced (flight vs. invisibility)

e789a9559c65e0e6ee4e3e6f78dc816749c9a020_hq.gif

0e9c15e42d066a7fcf0b67d5f34a7c5a6312cdd2_hq.gif

I didn't even know you could create your own Tournament before. This just means someone needs to make a Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash Tournament for the games release.

Actually found a match on Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax on the Vita. I beat the guy and the guy rage quits. Not cool bro
I'm always down for some games if you want. It's really fun on the Vita, imo the best fighting game on the Vita.

Not thrilled that we get multiple iterations of Goku and Vegeta. But that 3v3 mode seems insane, I guess it's like the one in KoF14 but in real time. Or like the coop versus mode in Street Fighter X Tekken but with 6 people.

That streaming to community thing seems cool. The explanation for it is confusing though.

:vita: Tokyo Xanadu $30.30 (I don't know much about this game, but I remember Sovereign had a couple of reviews about it and had favorable things to say about the game. With the enhanced version out soon, I guess it might get even lower.)
I found the game quite enjoyable, and being a Falcom game, had the feel of an Action Adventure Trails of Cold Steel. Many of the characters were like a lot of the Cold Steel cast and even had a Towa character, but I would either wait for the PS4 release with extra contect or would wait for the price to come down a little more. I put about 70 hours into two playthroughs, and platinuming the game. The first run was fun, but found myself speeding through the 2nd playthrough just to finish it.

Dissidia Final Fantasy NT Gets Release Date; Special Editions and Season Pass Announced

DSDA_CE_Beauty_1920x1350_v2.jpg

The Ultimate Collector’s Edition will be exclusive to the Square Enix store, will cost $189.99, and it will include the following:
  • Warrior of Light bust figure (8.25” tall)
  • Official soundtrack with 15 tracks selected from the DISSIDIA series and newly recorded music
  • 80-page hardback artbook
  • Season Pass that gives access to six new playable characters and content post launch
  • SteelBook™ case unique to the “UCE”
  • Collector’s Box featuring legendary FINAL FANTASY characters
DSDA_SB_Beauty_1920x1350_v2.jpg

I ordered the CE, also I hate that my favorite characters got paired with my least favorites on the steelbooks. Yda is right next to Tidus and Zidane, and Terra with Bartz and WoL.

It seems so random like there was no thought outside of which poses looked coherent next to each other.

Question for anyone who's played both Dragon Quest Heroes games:

Will I miss out on anything if I skip the first title? Or like most musou games does the sequel render the first obsolete?

Own them both and got an itch to start one of them, if the 2nd is nothing but improvement I'm OK with just writing off the first because time is valuable and backlogs and etc...

Also thanks to everyone who advised me it was OK to play Persona 5 without having played the previous games. Beat it and loved it. Definitely plan on playing 4 (golden) and maybe 3 (portable?) at some point.

Will I miss out on anything if I skip the first title? Or like most musou games does the sequel render the first obsolete?

Own them both and got an itch to start one of them, if the 2nd is nothing but improvement I'm OK with just writing off the first because time is valuable and backlogs and etc...

Also thanks to everyone who advised me it was OK to play Persona 5 without having played the previous games. Beat it and loved it. Definitely plan on playing 4 (golden) and maybe 3 (portable?) at some point.
Unless you are in it for trophies or something you are fine to skip the first one. The second is better in basically every way.

Damn you Square Enix. That's another four new mandatory steelbooks and another $120 CE that costs $200.

Dissidia is going to be so baller, I can't wait!

I ordered the CE, also I hate that my favorite characters got paired with my least favorites on the steelbooks. Yda is right next to Tidus and Zidane, and Terra with Bartz and WoL.

It seems so random like there was no thought outside of which poses looked coherent next to each other.
If she was your favorite character you'd know that was Y'shtola, not Yda. :p

While Portable is worth playing for Hamuko, it's the worst version of P3. FES is definitive. If you've got a PS2/PS3, definitely play that version first.

Unless you are in it for trophies or something you are fine to skip the first one. The second is better in basically every way.
Thanks, not worried about trophies. I'm def leaning towards skipping 1 because I don't want to get burned out and enjoy 2 less.

While Portable is worth playing for Hamuko, it's the worst version of P3. FES is definitive. If you've got a PS2/PS3, definitely play that version first.
FES has always looked more appealing to me, The cutscenes and emoting 3d models seem like a big sacrifice to make. I feel like the shortcomings of P3's combat system could just be mitigated by playing on a lower difficulty? Not really going into 3 for the combat since I doubt it's as refined as P5's. Just interested in the characters/story mostly.

Damn you Square Enix. That's another four new mandatory steelbooks and another $120 CE that costs $200.

Dissidia is going to be so baller, I can't wait!

If she was your favorite character you'd know that was Y'shtola, not Yda. :p
Derp, I slept like 4 hours last night and was at a convention all day and just went with the first Y that popped in my head lol.

Thanks, not worried about trophies. I'm def leaning towards skipping 1 because I don't want to get burned out and enjoy 2 less.

FES has always looked more appealing to me, The cutscenes and emoting 3d models seem like a big sacrifice to make. I feel like the shortcomings of P3's combat system could just be mitigated by playing on a lower difficulty? Not really going into 3 for the combat since I doubt it's as refined as P5's. Just interested in the characters/story mostly.
Honestly, you're not going to get a lot of difference in quality of combat between any of the versions of P3 or P4, though I don't remember if they'd implemented party direct commands by FES or not. Ultimately, it all comes down to the same strategy, though--knock down the enemy as quickly as possible without burning through too much HP or SP, and then all out attack on whatever's left alive. Combat's just something you kinda slog through in P3/P4, trying to either grab enough XP or money for the next month.

I've found that listening to audiobooks makes those dungeons much more tolerable.

definitely a toss up between Lightning and Kefka. If only they throw in Kuja in Sephiroth SB, I wouldn't mind getting that, but this version really lackluster.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

Lightning is the steelbook I want.

She's top tier
They need to replace the others in that steelbook with more Lightning then it'll be perfect, except for Y'shtola she can stay since she's also top tier and voiced by Ai Kayano which makes it the cherry on top.

It's not teleportation, its from Charlotte. It was ok, kikda rushed, same guys who did angel beats, Key.
A real shame too since it had such potential to be a really great series.

bread's done
Back