Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
It also gives me a chance to post this since I'm feeling myself right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c2j6-ZfZyo
I'm feeling you now for giving that heads up!

WS5UBFX.gif

Not really. They've done several other videos doing the same thing. It's for their Japanese blog series 'English Conversation'. Other blog articles that do the same thing:

https://www.platinumgames.co.jp/magazine/detail/?id=2_12575 (The video you linked is here)

https://www.platinumgames.co.jp/magazine/detail/?id=2_12517

https://www.platinumgames.co.jp/magazine/detail/?id=2_11279

If it is happening, then I'd expect it to be announced at the Tokyo Games Show in September. Until then these repeat 3 times YouTube videos just aren't really good enough to prove it's happening.

I just hope when we get Persona 6 in ten years it's not set in high school again.
Same but if not I hope they at least step up the school life aspect again. Shujin sucked compared to Gekkoukan and Yasogami because our protag wasnt allowed to join any clubs or sports teams.

Holy cow! Those "recommended" specs are insane. Guess I'll start saving up for an 1180. :???:
Recommended video card is a 1080...ti. I have a regular 1080. fuck . I'm sure it'll maintain the same framerates as the PS4 did. On launch. :lol:

Wonder what Cold Steel III's specs are gonna look like. Heck, wonder how Ys VIII will run in a few weeks. Are the NISA PC ports that poopy?

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQuUVooCvKk[/media]

February 2018
Registration for the closed Beta is up too.

https://www.bandainamcoent.com/news/dragon-ball-fighterz-closed-beta-application

Can't get the damn site to load though.

There's also additional info on the game here, and also a special announcement after the Gamescom tourney.

http://shoryuken.com/2017/08/22/dragon-ball-fighterz-slated-for-a-february-2018-release-closed-beta-sign-ups-are-now-live/

I hope we get Janemba next.

Recommended video card is a 1080...ti. I have a regular 1080. fuck . I'm sure it'll maintain the same framerates as the PS4 did. On launch. :lol:

Wonder what Cold Steel III's specs are gonna look like. Heck, wonder how Ys VIII will run in a few weeks. Are the NISA PC ports that poopy?
Those specs are for 4k ultra

Same but if not I hope they at least step up the school life aspect again. Shujin sucked compared to Gekkoukan and Yasogami because our protag wasnt allowed to join any clubs or sports teams.
I am very glad that I didn't have to spend my afternoons walking around the practice building over and over.

Neither of them should be particularly intensive. For NISA ports, there will likely be some issues at launch. I want to say they usually get fixed. Better than say, Witch & the Hundred Knight on the PS3 based on what I know of their ports. Although if Durante ends up helping with Cold Steel III, then I think we can expect it to run smoother than a babies ass.

By the way, the "new" thing in [customspoiler='Cold Steel III's battle system is']the Arcus II allowing for two Master Quartz to be placed. The second one will have its effectiveness halved.[/customspoiler]

I also want to see Cold Steel III include a scene where Rean headpats someone new and [customspoiler='this happens to him.']
0qDxcNC.gif
[/customspoiler]

Free weekly PSN junk:

There ain't shit this week. At all. I think it's the second or third time this has happened since I started doing this.

Though technically you have the PS+ $0.99 rental of Boss Baby but it's not really thread material. At the very least there will be something next week with the final $0.99 rental being Ghost in the Shell.

True. And I still run FHD on my PC (occasionally I use my 4K TV to PC game).

Neither of them should be particularly intensive. For NISA ports, there will likely be some issues at launch. I want to say they usually get fixed. Better than say, Witch & the Hundred Knight on the PS3 based on what I know of their ports. Although if Durante ends up helping with Cold Steel III, then I think we can expect it to run smoother than a babies ass.

By the way, the "new" thing in [customspoiler='Cold Steel III's battle system is']the Arcus II allowing for two Master Quartz to be placed. The second one will have its effectiveness halved.[/customspoiler]

I also want to see Cold Steel III include a scene where Rean headpats someone new and [customspoiler='this happens to him.']
0qDxcNC.gif
[/customspoiler]
I wonder if that means we'll have more like the Sora Orbment system.

Durante is probably busy right now with CS II as Brittany declared they're recording the new lines. Nice.

And who do you think can kick Rean's @$$ like that?
Claire, Sharon, Laura, and maybe Alisa? Oh, and maybe Yuna.

BTW what the heck with late September games. Pretty much most of the ones I want come out last week of September. All them monies...
Not as bad for me. Here's my list of likely day one buys:

Ys SEVEN - Aug 30 - Buying only to support XSeed sales, will probably replay.
Utawarerumono: The Mask of Truth - Sep 5
Ys VIII - Sep 12
Summon Night 6 - Sep 12 - Only grabbing it since I'm unsure whether or not the physical will be difficult to come by later.

Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection - Summer 2017 - Where's the release date, XSeed. You've got one month left.
Etrian Odyssey V - Oct 17 - Still unsure if purchasing early on. $32 isn't bad for day one.
Tokyo Xanadu eX+ - Nov 24

I'm not as into Yakuza as everybody here, so I won't be grabbing it day one. Come at me thread. There are a bunch of other titles too, but they won't be day one purchases. Still need to decide on when I'm getting some other ones like Total War: Warhammer 2 and Wolfenstein II. Plus all the ones without release dates or newly announced release dates that I'll need to decide on like the .hack//G.U. remake.

Will probably do some write-ups for Utawarerumono, Ys VIII (Maybe), Zwei & Tokyo Xanadu.

For me:

Summon Knight 6

Utaware

Mary Skelter

Dangaronpa 3

Peach Splash

Blue Reflection

Ouch! I have that Korean horror game as well.....too much for sure.

Skipping EOV, Demon Gaze 2, Ys8.....others i'm sure. May think of Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ as well...who knows...

I'm really not sure if I should grab Summon Night 6.  The only reason is the same as what Draekon mention that the physical edition might get rare later on.

Also thankful for the BB gift card promo of buying $150 and getting an extra $15 free.  Will probably grab another gift card to cover everything else I want in Sept.....

What about that sweet steel book tho? I'm not a Yakuza fan either, but I don't want to miss the 1st print bonuses like I did for Yakuza 0.
I actually don't buy as many physical games as the people of this thread do. I'm also gamesharing digital with a friend and we swap purchases a lot.

I was thinking, wouldn't it be awesome if we had a Persona set in an office-type setting. Like the MC works in a day to day, dead end office job, and it's like an office sitcom like... The Office. Or like Office Space, or Horrible Bosses. Where the MC and his group of other repressed coworkers must go and rebel against their bosses.

Could have a more grown up theme, instead of high school dating, the MC gets to get married and have kids. The work setting will make up for the time spent in school.

Jim from The Office is the MC.
The office was a great show but no. It can't be Jim, it has to be Asian Jim.

Crypt of the NecroDancer on PC received some free Danganronpa content.

We have also teamed up with our friends at Spike Chunsoft to bring you another new OST and new playable character skins! You can now use the "Change Sountrack" feature to change to the Danganronpa OST for zones 1 through 4! Additionally, you can use the all new "Change Skin" option to swap any character's sprite with a Spike Chunsoft character! Here's the list:

• Monokuma
  • Monomi
  • Chiaki Nanami
  • Junko Enoshima
  • Hinata Hajime
  • Makoto Naegi
  • Asuka
  • and Shiren the Wanderer
And last, but not least, we have a new "NecroDancer VS Danganronpa" bundle that allows you to purchase Crypt of the NecroDancer, Crypt of the NecroDancer: AMPLIFIED, and Danganronpa 1 & 2 at a discounted price!
Kinda neat. No idea if PS4 and Vita will get it, but this seems to have happened because Spike Chunsoft was the publisher in Japan for it and they added all that in for the Japan release.

Muv Luv Alternative is finished. Here is the recent news from their Kickstarter.

They'll be focusing all their time on the Vita version now, which is good. Unlike a certain Publisher/Developer that keeps promising Vita and never doing it.
Hi everyone,
It's finally here, the visual novel everyone has been waiting for!
Muv-Luv Alternative will be up today on Steam, and coming soon this September, 2017!

However...

for every amazing backers who have been wondering “Alternative When?”, we're glad to announce that you can now play the game by grabbing your Steam codes from BackerKit!

Switching Gears to PS Vita release
Now that the major goal of the Kickstarter has been completed, we can now resume PS Vita development of the trilogy. We apologize again for the severe delays, and like we said before, we'll fully commit to them and will get most of the items in our checklist done before the year ends.

And here’s a message from the team:
"To all the Kickstarter backers who signed on to this project, thank you so much for your support and patience while waiting for this localization.
It’s thanks to all of YOU that this project was made possible! It’s been a long journey, and we are pleased to finally be able to bring you the official English release of Muv-Luv Alternative! The team has worked really hard for over a year to ensure that we give you the most fantastic experience for this amazing story that we possibly can, and we really hope you enjoy it!
We hope that you all have fun with this backer-exclusive BETA release! Please give us your feedback, and if you find any issues or bugs, do let us know at our community forums."
Cheers,
The Muv-Luv Team

The nurse sleeps with him and is effectively his supervisor.
Edit: Ah nvm, I completely misread this comment.

She's a doctor, and I didn't romance her, so I don't know if her and the MC go all the way or not. But I think she'd be arrested a long time ago for conducting medical experiments using human trials without consent from the board.

Becky on the other hand... technically she's a maid/masseuse, but she's dealing with minors.

Chihaya is pretty much a con-artist.

Ohya... offered alcohol to a minor...?

They are all deviants of society!

It's implied Tae did the snu snu with Joker. Well, that was my interpretation

AND HIFUMI?! She just plays shogi. And is a model

The nurse sleeps with him and is effectively his supervisor.

She's a doctor, and I didn't romance her, so I don't know if her and the MC go all the way or not. But I think she'd be arrested a long time ago for conducting medical experiments using human trials without consent from the board.
In P4 the Devil arcana, Sayoko Uehara, is indeed a nurse, Tae Takami, Death Arcana in P5, is a doctor.

There are implied scenes that Sayoko and Yu got freaky in an empty hospital room. Tae and Joker probably did things in his room.

It's implied Tae did the snu snu with Joker. Well, that was my interpretation

AND HIFUMI?! She just plays shogi. And is a model
I don't know why it's always just only sorta implied in persona now. Why can't they just tell us they're going to fuark. and then cut scene.

bread's done
Back